• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Demigod Mac

Not seeing the performance problems everyone else is. I have it on 1920x1200, 16xAA 16xAF, maximum detail settings and it's smooth as butter. Not even one performance hiccup during the most intense firefights.

Xeon 3.33 ghz (6-core)
Radeon 5870

claviertekky said:
It's definitely MW2 otherwise it wouldn't have all those killstreak perks for multiplayer + guns.

The addition of texture streaming, says to me it at least shares parts of MW2's engine. Treyarch wouldn't have redone all that work themselves.

As we say goodbye to MW2 Was anybody on MW2 last night after BO launched :lol ?

I tried it out for shits and giggles the crew that will be left on MW2...:lol

claviertekky said:
It's definitely MW2 otherwise it wouldn't have all those killstreak perks for multiplayer + guns.

Uh, not necessarily no, an engine can be upgraded to fit those features in. If you go by that knowledge then it couldn't be MW2 as it has a 4 player zombie co-op!!!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Whipped Spartan said:
1.5 Million + online on xbl in middle of afternoon right now wow!
OMG, this really is gonna be bigger than MW2. The most I ever saw online in MW2 on 360 was just over a million last Veteran's Day (the day after release). Could we see 2 million online this Thursday?

clav

Mik2121 said:
Eh... Do you know what a game engine is? :lol
Rubezh said:
I don't think you understand what a game engine is.

EDIT: Beaten.

Hasn't each Infinity Ward basically code a newer part of the engine? From what it looks, the engine is evolved with each IW iteration.

CrazedArabMan said:
Uh, not necessarily no, an engine can be upgraded to fit those features in. If you go by that knowledge then it couldn't be MW2 as it has a 4 player zombie co-op!!!
The 4 player zombie could be borrowed from WaW as it does play those classic maps.

The multiplayer engine looks like a separate entity and borrowed directly from MW2.

Anerythristic said:
As we say goodbye to MW2 Was anybody on MW2 last night after BO launched :lol ?

I tried it out for shits and giggles the crew that will be left on MW2...:lol
I thought a lot of people would stick with MW2, but after seeing 1.5 million on XBL playing right now - not so sure about that.

Ballistik

PoweredBySoy said:
If by 'across the map' you mean 10 feet.
I don't know map name, I ran a couple of feet.. Threw it. Went over some buildings and didn't see the guy die... Film saved right?? I can try to look at it again

PaNaMa

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
kinda hard to do when the forum is dead but here you go:
http://www.callofduty.com/board/vie...st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=am39e0uva24hklem9latp7eiq0

this isn't exclusive to CoD. Just wait for the 'jump outside the map' glitches in Gears 3 on day one.

I was being (un)funny. My point was, posting a response to a decommissioned web forum unreadable to anyone on earth does not qualify as a satisfactory official acknowledgement in this customer's opinion. Release a quote or pr to game sites, or put it up on JD's twitter even, assuming activation doesn't take twitter down too..

And yes I know, their forum is not permanently offline, just temporarily. I think if Acticision could shut down youtube, GAF, and anywhere else they're getting bad press they would.

Tiduz said:
what the fuck?!

i just entered my code for the spacesuit preorder on eu.callofduty.com and got this instead

DOWNLOAD A 2 MIX PACK 50 CENT FEATURING MARY J. BLIGE vs QUEEN & PUBLIC ENEMY vs GORILLAZ

what the hell?!
:lol :lol :lol Wow

(That's a DJ Hero track pack but you probably already guessed that)

Animal

Banned
I've been sitting here all morning surfing the net on my phone waiting for the power to come back just so I can play. FML.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
Actually, they aren't using the MW2 engine, but rather modified the one used in WaW.
Interesting, wonder why they wouldn't/couldn't use the MW2 engine? I thought Activision basically owned the tech?

Animal said:
I've been sitting here all morning surfing the net on my phone waiting for the power to come back just so I can play. FML.
inforn6.png

Sanic

Is file related stuff disabled at the moment? The theater is showing me as having played no recent games.

Mik2121

purple cobra said:
Interesting, wonder why they wouldn't/couldn't use the MW2 engine? I thought Activision basically owned the tech?
Maybe because IW was in the middle of the development of MW2 when Treyarch started working on this game, and when the MW2 version of the engine was ready, it would have been too late to implement it? Just a guess, anyway.

aku:jiki

Woo! I had the luckiest break ever at work - as the day went on, I started really regretting that I didn't take any time off. Then our servers went down and our admin is away, so my boss came up to me and apologized for the inconvenience but could I please take a few days off while they fix it. Hell yeah I can! :D

I dove straight into multiplayer. Fucking loving it so far. My favorite things so far is the sound of the guns, and the new damage marker sound. So awesome!

Not feeling the RC-XD at all. It needs a patch pretty ASAP. :/

brain_stew said:
COD3 performed worse than COD2. W@W performed worse than COD4 and MW2 performed worse than COD4.

As they pile on the effects (and as Treyarch get involved) the framerate always seems to suffer in COD games. I was always expecting a worse framerate, just not a significantly worse framerate.
COd2 performed like shit on the Xbox 360, there is no way COD3 performed worse than COD2. If you meant PC, then say that and dont be misleading.

regs

Picked it up today, enjoying it quite a bit. Although I just discovered my least favorite map: Hanoi. It's like a world at war map that was so awful they left it out of the game and DLC but put it in this game to have another map :lol

claviertekky said:
Hasn't each Infinity Ward basically code a newer part of the engine? From what it looks, the engine is evolved with each IW iteration.

The 4 player zombie could be borrowed from WaW as it does play those classic maps.

The multiplayer engine looks like a separate entity and borrowed directly from MW2.

The COD engine is a modified Quake 3 engine.

An online friend of mine just got his Steam account banned, after he applied the German to English patch/hack (also known as the Russian to English patch/hack) to his german version of the game. Take this as a rumor, but you better don't apply that to your game until things clear out.

On a side note, another rumor making it's round: Steam is going to ban austrian (AT) version of the game for people playing this version based in Germany.

The Black Ops site sucks. I try to log in and it's an infinite loop of logging in to be brought to the register page to complete some information to get the same error all over again.

So I create a new account and log in and it takes me to a blank "create account" page. WTF.

clav

YuriLowell said:
The COD engine is a modified Quake 3 engine.
Yes I know that.

Are you saying you can put Call of Duty 2 original engine + the perks system simply with copy and paste?

That doesn't sound like it'll work as there are other elements that are added+modified creating a different beast.

Cday

Banned
PaNaMa said:
Assorted post release rage and putting words in my mouth.

Guess what, all games have glitches especially when they're first released. Hard to believe, I know. I don't think you should start talking shit until we know if Treyarch is going to fix this in a timely manner or not. The aforementioned IW wasn't too keen on fixing glitches in a timely manner.

Sanic

Diablohead said:
It's disabled on 360 due to so many users playing.
Gotcha, thanks.

kinda crazy how many people are playing at the moment. Took me a second to realize I was looking at a seven digit player count as opposed to six.

Just started playing on pc. 1080p all settings maxed out with 16xAA v-sync and triple buffering and getting a rock solid 60fps. It looks mighty fine with no performance issues at all.

When I accidentally lowered textures to low, my fps was madly fluctuating, why? :lol

I'm on i7@4.0 GTX 480.

claviertekky said:
Yes I know that.

Are you saying you can put Call of Duty 2 original engine + the perks system simply with copy and paste?

That doesn't sound like it'll work as there are other elements that are added+modified creating a different beast.

I think what you are thinking of is a gameplay system. The engine is simply how the graphics are rendered out.

It would be possible for someone to go back and add the perks system to COD2.

My main complaint after playing for a couple of hours. The guns are very underpowered. I didn't play much hardcore in MW2 but I look forward to it in black ops.

"Split Screen Online Multiplayer
While the exact number of supported players is not yet known, Black Ops will allow multiple players on the same console to play online."

was this confirmed ? and will it be on the ps3 too or is it just a 360 feature ?

njean777

PS3 version if gimped also online, fps drops galore and hit detection is horrible. WTF is this shit, MW2 had some connection issues when first released but damn this game is just plain out bad all around so far. I really hope they can fix this.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying SP campaign. Although I pity anyone that thinks playing it on Veteran is a good idea. People need to learn that these games are not balanced for difficulty.

Top Bottom