• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

FrankT

Whipped Spartan said:
1.5 Million + online on xbl in middle of afternoon right now wow!

That is pretty crazy and all before school is even out. I've been of the opinion this would not best MW2 first month, but anyway you slice it that is nutty numbers.

cyberheater said:
How did it breakdown? PC vs PS3 vs 360?

Last night at the Best Buy launch there was a table and surprisingly a lot more PS3 copies were being sold than 360, about 2:1. I asked an employee which was selling more (maybe 360 was and was being restocked on the table faster) and he said PS3. Don't know about PC though.

ultron87

DesertEater said:
"Split Screen Online Multiplayer
While the exact number of supported players is not yet known, Black Ops will allow multiple players on the same console to play online."

was this confirmed ? and will it be on the ps3 too or is it just a 360 feature ?

I'd really like to know if anyone has any more details on this.

How many people can you play online with on the same console? And is that just for normal games or can you also play split-screen zombie mode?

Mik2121

YuriLowell said:
I think what you are thinking of is a gameplay system. The engine is simply how the graphics are rendered out.

It would be possible for someone to go back and add the perks system to COD2.
Actually the engine isn't only that. It also changes how the animations work, how to create the particle effects, shaders, etc... Hell, in some cases like The Unreal Engine, it has it's own programming tools included.

Spooks

After playing a couple games i'm gonna have to say I'm enjoying it. It's so nice not to see noob tubes getting spammed or having some dude commando lunge me from the bottom of a staircase. What I do have to get use to though is how weaker the guns feel and the game as a whole seems a little bit slower than MW. But still, awesome shit. Too bad I gotta go run and do some errands right now :(

regs

aku:jiki said:
Not feeling the RC-XD at all. It needs a patch pretty ASAP. :/

I agree but I'll give it some time, I figured it would be lame as hell when they first showed it lol

DesertEater said:
"Split Screen Online Multiplayer
While the exact number of supported players is not yet known, Black Ops will allow multiple players on the same console to play online."

was this confirmed ? and will it be on the ps3 too or is it just a 360 feature ?
Wow, please tell me that you can actually play with guests online on the 360... Such a necessary feature that's been missing from past iterations.

clav

backflip10019 said:
Wow, please tell me that you can actually play with guests online on the 360...
I think your split screen players also need a Xbox Gold account. Can't use guests.

Mik2121 said:
Actually the engine isn't only that. It also changes how the animations work, how to create the particle effects, shaders, etc... Hell, in some cases like The Unreal Engine, it has it's own programming tools included.

Guess I was being too general with my description. Yes engines do include all of that.

aku:jiki

It really sucks how much doesn't work today though... Activision can't claim that they had no idea how many players they'd get, and disabling features is a shitty solution. Pretty annoyed that I've already lost a few awesome kills I'd like to have saved (best one being an "oh there you are" 180 masterkey kill :lol). Not loving how broken the matchmaking is either...

LabouredSubterfuge said:
People need to learn that these games are not balanced for difficulty.
People know this. It's called achievements and/or trophies.

Thorhald

Pretty sure i haven't found it because it's not in the game ... but if you have several friends on, and you all want to play together, is there a lobby system like Halo or MW2?

Frustrating right now to have to send them invites, and by time you get in to send an invite, the server has filled up.

demolitio

Wow, my framerate in MP maxed out is twice as much as what I was getting in SP with the tweaks. There's definitely some sort of bug or major problem. You can go to the Steam forums to see proof of that. Hell, they have multi-GPU on yet multi-threading is off even though the game requires a dual core.

Looks like I'm playing MP for a while. :lol

claviertekky said:
I think your split screen players also need a Xbox Gold account. Can't use guests.
Really? WOW, that's incredibly lame. But I guess it's better than nothing. Wish they would have incorporated guests into the online experience (like Halo did, oh you know, 6 years ago).

njean777 said:
anybody else playing the ps3 version and getting all these problems like i listed?

Bad hit detection, fps drops?

Yeah, I get them sometimes too. I was chasing a dot down on the map, expecting to cut him off at the pass, and the dot jumped and the guy was right in front of me. So Annoying.

Mik2121

How much did MW2 sell during the first week and during the first day? It would be interesting to compare it to the BO results.

.nimrod

aku:jiki said:
It really sucks how much doesn't work today though... Activision can't claim that they had no idea how many players they'd get, and disabling features is a shitty solution. Pretty annoyed that I've already lost a few awesome kills I'd like to have saved (best one being an "oh there you are" 180 masterkey kill :lol). Not loving how broken the matchmaking is either...

How's the masterkey compared to MW2? Is it nerfed/buffed/the same?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jonnybryce said:
Last night at the Best Buy launch there was a table and surprisingly a lot more PS3 copies were being sold than 360, about 2:1. I asked an employee which was selling more (maybe 360 was and was being restocked on the table faster) and he said PS3. Don't know about PC though.

Seems like it's going to be monster sales for both 360 and PS3. For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if it sold more on PS3.
I guess we'll have to see the future sales thread to be sure.

123rl

The ground is DLC (due next month @ 1600 points)

It's a cool game so far though. Single player is fun and surprisingly original. I love the structure and the way it is narrated and based around real characters/events

I think the 360 servers have gone tits up, can't find a game or join one, me and my cousin keep getting broken lobbies (I am open nat btw) so something is wrong here.

I want to play mah codblops online :(

syztem

Neo Member
Really? WOW, that's incredibly lame. But I guess it's better than nothing. Wish they would have incorporated guests into the online experience (like Halo did, oh you know, 6 years ago).

He's wrong. Guest are allowed. The guest gets all of your CURRENT unlocks for that time, and gains xp/credits for the session (ex. if you're level 20, they start at level 20, with all of your guns/attachments/etc. if they want something you don't have they have to earn enough credits and buy it during that session). When they quit all of their progress is lost.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jonnybryce said:
So every time I die I sink under the map into a white abyss.

Go into the light...

tangina1A.jpg

backflip10019 said:
Black Ops has guest support like Halo does. I think it is just 2 players per screen, but it might be 4, COD3 was anyways. But yeah, 1st player needs a gold account.

syztem said:
He's wrong. Guest are allowed. The guest gets all of your CURRENT unlocks for that time, and gains xp/credits for the session (ex. if you're level 20, they start at level 20, with all of your guns/attachments/etc. if they want something you don't have they have to earn enough credits and buy it during that session). When they quit all of their progress is lost.
Really? YESSSSSSSSS! Awesome addition! It would always suck having friends over and not being able to play together on one Xbox. SO EXCITED for this.

FrankT

cyberheater said:
Seems like it's going to be monster sales for both 360 and PS3. For some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if it sold more on PS3.

With this kind of differnce first month last year I kind of doubt it;

1.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) / Infinity Ward, Activision / 4.20 million
2.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) / Infinity Ward, Activision / 1.87 million

This ain't really a Madden situation either as the marketing is heavily skewed here as well. Not saying it will be the same this year, but still likely a considerable difference.

Mik2121 said:
How much did MW2 sell during the first week and during the first day? It would be interesting to compare it to the BO results.

First day NA+UK=$310 million;

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1044587p1.html

~4.7 million copies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Cerrius said:
1,672,679 players online on 360.

Insane. :lol

I just checked my xbl friends list for the first time in about 5 months and everyone is back online playing black ops. Always bet on black, indeed.

the PC version doesn't sound like it's going to work for me so now I'm wondering if it's worth getting the 360 version until it's fixed.

Kyoufu

cyberheater said:

It will never sell more on PS3. Most bros are on XBL.

oblo

cyberheater said:
How did it breakdown? PC vs PS3 vs 360?
YuriLowell said:
My guess.

PC= 3. 360= 500 PS3=200
Actually here in Belgium at our store it's nothing like that, more like : PC=12%, 360=18% PS3=70%.

/edit: haven't sold a single copy on DS myself and from past experiences I doubt I will before the price gets slashed, on Wii I'm expecting it to do pretty good for a non-Nintendo title, if it had been released at the same moment I guess it would have stolen away a nice 1% in my above estimates.

Delicious PC servers, running smooth so far for me.

Kyoufu said:
It will never sell more on PS3. Most bros are on XBL.

Worldwide, it will probably even out. In the US it's gauranteed to sell more on 360 as it always has.

syztem said:
What about the ps3 version ??

syztem

Neo Member
backflip10019 said:
Really? YESSSSSSSSS! Awesome addition! It would always suck having friends over and not being able to play together on one Xbox. SO EXCITED for this.

Just one extra player though, not 4 player. Still, it's a great feature.

syztem said:
Just one extra player though, not 4 player. Still, it's a great feature.
Ah, true. But it's a step in the right direction! Also, is the multiplayer screen still offset in a weird way with the black boxes in the corners? Or is it full screen?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I wonder if the PC issues are anything similar to that setting in Left 4 Dead relating to multiple cores where if you turn it on, the game just starts intermittently stopping every few seconds, even sometimes if you do have multiple cores.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Haven't picked up a call of duty game since 4. Might pick this one up. Maybe for the fact that all my friends will be playing it for a long time.

oblo said:
Actually here in Belgium at our store it's nothing like that, more like : PC=12%, 360=18% PS3=70%.

That is going by what its like in my part of the united states.
There is still an unopened copy of Freedom Force vs. Third Reich from when the gamestop opened up in 2005.

Top Bottom