• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

I'm going to get my hands on this game in about an hour. Anything you guys want me to check? I don't think Ill be able to play mp as it's the 360 version and apparently the servers aren't up yet.

surly

Banned
Dead Ops: Not a traditional map; rather, it is a top-down, arcade style shooter (somewhat along the lines of Smash TV). Unlocked via a secret code (if you want to learn the secret, click here).
The video showing you how to unlock Dead Ops has been taken down, but here's how you do it: -

On the main menu screen, you can look around using the right stick. If you look down, you'll see that you're looking through the eyes of your character who is strapped to a chair. If you press the left and right trigger alternately in quick succession, you can break out of the straps and get out of the chair. Achievement number 1 unlocked!

Once you're out of the chair, you can walk around. Walk up to the computer and you'll be prompted to press X to use it. Do that and it brings up a computer screen with a DOS prompt and on screen keyboard. Type in "cd bin" without quotes and hit enter, then type "doa" without quotes and hit enter. This unlocks Dead Ops. Achievement 2 unlocked!

From then on, Dead Ops will show up in the list of maps for zombies, so you only have to do this once.

surly said:
The video showing you how to unlock Dead Ops has been taken down, but here's how you do it: -

On the main menu screen, you can look around using the right stick. If you look down, you'll see that you're looking through the eyes of your character who is strapped to a chair. If you press the left and right trigger alternately in quick succession, you can break out of the straps and get out of the chair. Achievement number 1 unlocked!

Once you're out of the chair, you can walk around. Walk up to the computer and you'll be prompted to press X to use it. Do that and it brings up a computer screen with a DOS prompt and on screen keyboard. Type in "cd bin" without quotes and hit enter, then type "doa" without quotes and hit enter. This unlocks Dead Ops. Achievement 2 unlocked!

From then on, Dead Ops will show up in the list of maps for zombies, so you only have to do this once.
thanks for that

Hyunkel6

johnFkennedy said:
I'm going to get my hands on this game in about an hour. Anything you guys want me to check? I don't think Ill be able to play mp as it's the 360 version and apparently the servers aren't up yet.
Can Zombies be played 4-player split-screen?

careful

Great OP divisionbyzorro. :)

Camera Spike: Deploy to replace minimap with the view of the camera.
What's this?

To be honest I had made up my mind not to get this game because it was Treyarch, but after reading through all the list of changes and balance tweaks from MW2, I'm really intrigued now. They sound really good. The only problem is that work + personal life is keeping me super busy at the moment, and I know getting this game would destroy me even more... :)

zero margin said:
Hear that treyarch? Free signed copy for divisionbyzorro sounds appropriate.

I'll take it! And I'll give the copy I've already put on preorder to my unemployed friend, so you'll still get a sale from me! :lol

luiztfc said:
Yep. I'm also from the OP-is-too-damn-good party.

You guys are too kind.

It's GhaleonEB's fault, actually. His beautiful Reach OP inspired me to spend way too much time putting this one together (although I don't feel like I even came close to what he put together). And if you want to talk about OPs, the Lara Croft XBLA OP was easily the best of year, hands down.

careful said:
Great OP divisionbyzorro. :)

What's this?

To be honest I had made up my mind not to get this game because it was Treyarch, but after reading through all the list of changes and balance tweaks from MW2, I'm really intrigued now. They sound really good. The only problem is that work + personal life is keeping me super busy at the moment, and I know getting this game would destroy me even more... :)
It's a camera you can put down and you can see what it sees in place of the minimap. Could be really useful for things like search and destroy and whatnot.

StylusX

h0pper said:
there could not be a more confusing picture of a picture, than that picture.

P031110_02420001-1.jpg

Better? :)

So... 360 or PC?

I'm more used to FPS multiplayer on 360, I feel I have more of a chance... but it'd look pretty nice on my PC. I'm torn.

Tokubetsu

lastplayed said:
So... 360 or PC?

I'm more used to FPS multiplayer on 360, I feel I have more of a chance... but it'd look pretty nice on my PC. I'm torn.

Had the same dilemma. Went 360 since I'll have more fun playing with friends there.

KAL2006

Banned
Just found out that this game has split screen and online support at the same time, I may have to get this game just for this feature. I recently found out Goldeneye (Wii) does not do this which may make me get this game instead.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Any idea how many players per console over LAN?

2 seems like a safe bet, but 4 would be nice. Better than MW2 regardless.

KAL2006 said:
Just found out that this game has split screen and online support at the same time, I may have to get this game just for this feature. I recently found out Goldeneye (Wii) does not do this which may make me get this game instead.

Split screen for all platforms online?

KAL2006

Banned
user_nat said:
Any idea how many players per console over LAN?

2 seems like a safe bet, but 4 would be nice. Better than MW2 regardless.

don't know, I have some questions of my own. I heard on 360, the guest players progress won't be saved, but is this the same for the PS3 version.

EDIT: just googled it, the PS3 supports dual sign in, so the guest can also save his or her progress, lucky I'm getting the PS3 version :D
http://tsardom.net/2010/10/27/call-of-duty-black-ops-treyarch-confirms-dual-psn-sign-in-for-online-split-screen-plus-more/

EDIT2: what the fuck now I'm reading there is no dual sign in and guests can't save their progress (talking about PS3 version, can someone confirm what is true
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/10/28/black-ops-split-screen-guests-only-on-ps3/

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
surly said:

taking the fun out of things

So the offline mp is garbage. There are absolutely zero options apart from picking the map,gametype, and loadout. You can't set the time limit, you can't set the max score, and you can't restrict any weapons. I'm guessing they saved all that stuff for the online. I can confirm that there are no offline bots as well.

ZeroRay

LTTP, but great OP.

PS3 version here, add me if you want.

johnFkennedy said:
So the split screen mp is garbage. There are absolutely zero options apart from picking the map,gametype, and loadout. You can't set the time limit, you can't set the max score, and you can't restrict any weapons. I'm guessing they saved all that stuff for the online. I can confirm that there are no offline bots as well.

Wait, so they took out the ability to customize split screen games that all the other CODs had? :(

ZeroRay said:
LTTP, but great OP.

PS3 version here, add me if you want.

Wait, so they took out the ability to customize split screen games that all the other CODs had? :(
Yeah it surprised me because of how much Treyarch talked up the customization options for private matches. Also maybe it's because I'm used to sniping in MW2 but the sniper rifles feel completely gimped.

Mileena

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
Yeah it surprised me because of how much Treyarch talked up the customization options for private matches. Also maybe it's because I'm used to sniping in MW2 but the sniper rifles feel completely gimped.
even the AWP?

Mush

johnFkennedy said:
So the split screen mp is garbage. There are absolutely zero options apart from picking the map,gametype, and loadout. You can't set the time limit, you can't set the max score, and you can't restrict any weapons. I'm guessing they saved all that stuff for the online. I can confirm that there are no offline bots as well.
wat the fuck?

corkscrewblow said:
even the AWP?
Yeah that's the sniper I was using. Granted I'm still very new to the game so my opinion might change once I get used to it more, but I'm getting a ton of hitmarkers from shots that felt like they should ohk. Also, the recoil on that gun is more pronounced than that of the intervention. Lastly, and this just might be me, but the Treyarch developed COD games could never get the visceral feeling of shooting a gun right to me, and this one is no different. The guns feel like they lack "oomph".

haven't played Cod, Since CoD:WW since I successfully boycotted MW2 and its lack of Dedicated Servers. :D

Will be getting this Day 1 on pc tho.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
johnFkennedy said:
So the offline mp is garbage. There are absolutely zero options apart from picking the map,gametype, and loadout. You can't set the time limit, you can't set the max score, and you can't restrict any weapons. I'm guessing they saved all that stuff for the online. I can confirm that there are no offline bots as well.

It's meant to help people who have a hard time getting into MP and not having their ass handed to them hence why its called "Basic Training"

g35twinturbo said:
It's meant to help people who have a hard time getting into MP and not having their ass handed to them hence why its called "Basic Training"
That doesn't explain why I can't play it offline.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just preordered on Steam. Have fun with my money, Activision. I know I'll have fun with your game. But still, fuck you for it being $10 more than it should.

johnFkennedy said:
Lastly, and this just might be me, but the Treyarch developed COD games could never get the visceral feeling of shooting a gun right to me, and this one is no different. The guns feel like they lack "oomph".

That's not exclusive to Treyarch, all of the CODs have pretty wimpy gun feedback.

Sub_Level said:
Just preordered on Steam. Have fun with my money, Activision. I know I'll have fun with your game. But still, fuck you for it being $10 more than it should.

shoulda waited to see if we got a 4 pack

Plissken

Sub_Level said:

Yeah, that extra $10 bullshit is why I pre-ordered from Amazon, got a $20 gift card (sorry, 200 pre-order points, same difference) for buying it there. Hoping the 4 Nazi Zombie maps from W@W come to PC at some point, though we'll probably have to pay for them.

careful

KAL2006 said:
Say whaaa?
This is awesome. Do you have a link?

madmook

johnFkennedy said:
Goddamn fucking game developers. It's always the easiest fucking things that get screwed up. So if you can't set time or score limits, what are the default values when you play a botmatch (deathmatch and/or team deathmatch)?

Edit: Wait, are you saying that only applies to pure OFFLINE mp? So if we're online and go into the botmatch (Combat Training?), we can choose those options?

Top Bottom