• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Quick question, can the controls be customized? I HATE when "up" is jump in games. I noticed in the OP that both L and R triggers are the same. Can lock-on be assigned to one of those and jump placed on a button instead?

I am very interested in this, but that default control layout is right now keeping me at bay. Looks so awkward to use.

Esura

Banned
I spent full price for this with no regrets. So much replayability it isn't even funny. If this isn't worth full handheld price I dunno what is.

I thought it would be useful against later enemies.

I was wrong.

They don't live long enough to be a threat. >:D

Should of put more into Speed. My Solange breezes past other lv.99 Solanges in co-op while hitting like a shit ton of bricks in a jungle.

Quick question, can the controls be customized? I HATE when "up" is jump in games. I noticed in the OP that both L and R triggers are the same. Can lock-on be assigned to one of those and jump placed on a button instead?

I am very interested in this, but that default control layout is right now keeping me at bay. Looks so awkward to use.

No, the controls can't be customized. They work fine for me though.

It plays like a fighting game. Up to jump, special move motions and all. It makes perfect sense when you play. The lock on isn't something you hold. It's an actual attack that "tags" the enemy it connects with. Once they are marked, projectiles will home in on them and every attack that connects does something like double the damage.

A.E Suggs

Upon retrospect, I realize this game does not deserve a 40$ price tag.

At all.

It was worth it to me, and besides if you people wanted at 29.99 you could have gotten it online somewhere. However I do know with how short dishonored was to me that it wasn't worth 60, i'll survive though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only thing that skews the value for me is that you could pick up Guardian Heroes XBLA for half as much and end up with the better game.

What's going to kill the replayability in this for me is the fact that VS isn't nearly as flexible as it is in GH. Not being able to respec for every match is laaaame, and lock-on + planeshift shenanigans are too strong. It's competent in any case, but eventually I'm going to get tired of filling bars and move on.

Nairume

Banned
The only thing that skews the value for me is that you could pick up Guardian Heroes XBLA for half as much and end up with the better game.

I dunno, CoP having persistent characters that you can gear out is making a big difference in its worth in regards to Guardian Heroes. I've put a ton of hours into GH and am pretty close to 100% it, and it still kind of feels like CoP has more than enough meat over what GH offers to justify being several times more expensive.

Though, I wouldn't have minded if CoP included a quick story mode that worked like GH and just let you do a quick run of a few levels with a fresh character.

Sixfortyfive

The unlock/leveling grind just gets in the way of the game. I'd much prefer something like GH where you could just reallocate all your stats for every match.

Busaiku

It could use a bit more content like an alternative story mode for the other voiced characters.

Really the only disappointment I have is that everyone's story is the same thing, except 1 mission.
Really wish they switched things around like Odin Sphere or something.

Sixfortyfive

I mean just for the single player.
Well that's kind of a moot issue, as there's only a finite amount of 1P stuff to do in either case and at the end of the day it's going to be multiplayer that brings me back or not. I've already cleared everything and the only thing left for me to unlock is the weapon for clearing 1000 quests. Past that, nothin' to do but build characters up to 99. The combat and AI isn't good enough to make that rewarding in and of itself and there's no real benefit to it other than building up characters for Ultimate VS (which probably isn't going to be very populated).

I don't mean to sound too down on things. (It should be clear that I've put a lot of time into the game to get this far so I couldn't have really disliked it on the whole.) I've just gotten to the point where the shortcomings are relevant. On the positive side, it's rekindled my efforts to organize GH events and I'll be streaming a 12-player free for all in 2 weeks if all goes well. Looking forward to that. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best case scenario is that CoP did just well enough to get a Super Code of Princess with hardcore 16 person multiplayer with multiple stat load outs and a single player that's five times as long.

Koroviev

Best case scenario is that CoP did just well enough to get a Super Code of Princess with hardcore 16 person multiplayer with multiple stat load outs and a single player that's five times as long.

I think Code of Princess Deluxe might be more appropriate, but that's just me :p

OmegaZero

I haven't had time to play this recently, but just want to say that it's much better then I thought it was. I don't mind the pace of the combat at all, and experimenting with new combos and characters is fun. Especially the secondary characters and enemies.
Last week, my friend (the one who I bought the second copy for) and I tried pulling off team combos, trying to keep enemies juggled as long as possible with as much variety as possible.
Fun stuff.

RM8

Tomorrow I get my modem fixed so I'll be able to play online. I'll be one of the 95370 Solange players, I guess :p

branny

This game is growing on me. I think appreciating what it's trying to do instead of disliking it for what it isn't doing changed my whole mindset. It's definitely fun to pop in and just go bonkers with.

I think Code of Princess Deluxe might be more appropriate, but that's just me :p
lol

hatchx

Banned
That's what I got it for at Newegg.

Salt in the wound brother, salt in the wound.

To be honest, and I think this goes against consumerism, one of the biggest reasons I purchased Code of Princess was to support Atlus and localization efforts.

I'm not upset that I purchased Code of Princess at all, I just don't think it's the 9/10 awesome game my goggles lead to me to believe for the first couple hours. The online barely works, and the gameplay gets a bit repetitive for my tastes.

Let me preface this post by saying I'm not the best beat-em-up player of all time, and there's plenty more to learn in this game and plenty of room to improve my playstyle.

At my skill level, my biggest issue with the game is that combat generally unfolds like this:

• All enemies are way too easy on their own, but can unleash at least one attack which will leave you wide open for an extended time.
  • Most stages involve 10+ of these enemies ganging up on you. Each of their attacks leaves you open for the rest of them to basically juggle you for most of your health.
  • Each character has at least one combo or attack which does to the enemies what they can do to you. Sometimes, this is a completely otherwise worthless, low damage attack which prolongs stages by minutes at a time, but is your only really viable method of keeping from being overwhelmed.
  • Combining all of these factors together, you end up performing the same attacks over and over again because they are the attacks that work. Combat then feels repetitive and like you are abusing one combo. Attempting to mix things up and keep things interesting usually results in you getting juggled for 5 minutes and having to revert back to the usual to get through the stage.

Still it's quite fun and one of my top 10 for the year, but I find it's the variety of characters and their styles that keeps things fresh for me. Individually, they each get a tad stale after a while.

Obviously a lot of this would be rectified if I was better at the game, but as someone playing at minimum efficacy, this is my experience.

Sixfortyfive

I find it's the variety of characters and their styles that keeps things fresh for me. Individually, they each get a tad stale after a while.
This is an even-handed conclusion.

FYI, between the Burst mechanic and equipment that grants immunity to various status effects, it's relatively easy to keep enemies from ganging up on you for long.

I really wish CoP supported Join Game.

FYI, between the Burst mechanic and equipment that grants immunity to various status effects, it's relatively easy to keep enemies from ganging up on you for long.
Yeah, I slap Burst as soon as I start getting bounced about by a crowd. It usually freezes them in their tracks and allows me to start carving again. This tactic is required to be successful with lower defense characters like Ali.

OK, I'm stuck on "One Final Cameo", the enemies on this level are just brutally assualting anyone I try to use.

Is there some technique I'm missing or do I just need to go back and grind?

I am still playing pretty regularly. The combat is just so satisfying if it clicks with you. Some of the five star missions are hilarious Diablo-like endurance matches. The game looses its portability then, but it's a blast partnering up co-op and trying to take down a dragon with a bajillion health.

Ties

Banned
I am screaming at how much trouble The Little Witch bonus quest is giving me

How do I get rid of those beam spamming wizards fast enough to get to Alchemia?

EDIT:
A good leveled Helga and forward A is your best friend

Danj

Damn that game looks fine.
Is there already a release date for Europe? Thanks to the fucking region lock bullshit

Don't think it's already been posted here but apparently this game has been rated in Germany:

Ffpj2.png

Which suggests a European release is coming.

Ties

Banned
What's a good place to grind? I'm near the end but Solange keeps dying near the forest, I might need more levels.
Do the main quest where the objective is to run from the dragons.

Run all the way to the far left and switch planes whenever the dragon is on the same one as you, and simply block. The dragon occasionally throws out the AOE scream that damages you on the other plane if you aren't blocking, and you shouldn't receive any damage if you're doing this method correctly. This is a pretty surefire way to level up other characters as well, you'd gain about ~2 levels with a character in the 50s with this.

Are there any difference performance wise, between the US and Japanese versions? I could have sworn that I heard there were more framerate issues present in the Japanese version, but maybe I'm getting this game confused with another.

Sixfortyfive

Are there any difference performance wise, between the US and Japanese versions? I could have sworn that I heard there were more framerate issues present in the Japanese version, but maybe I'm getting this game confused with another.
That is reportedly the case, yes. I haven't played the JP version though.

Ugh, anyone know of a Japanese data dump site for Code of Princess? Trying to figure out where the second Gold Bangle drops, and I don't believe anyone knows.

shaowebb

What's going to kill the replayability in this for me is the fact that VS isn't nearly as flexible as it is in GH. Not being able to respec for every match is laaaame, and lock-on + planeshift shenanigans are too strong. It's competent in any case, but eventually I'm going to get tired of filling bars and move on.

Plus you don't get moments where an NPC character lands a sneeze infinite to kill someone after hiding in the background the whole match ;)

Good times.

L Thammy

Seriously considering picking this up. I've read that the combat sucks though. Is this true?

I just traded in my copy for that reason. It's not out and out bad, but it's seriously lacking polish in some areas.

For example, Solange has no problems attacking enemies. But if you prefer Ali Baba like me, you'll find that enemies will constantly interrupt your combos.

Top Bottom