• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

Heh just started playing it... had it sitting here for a while

anyway this game makes me want to upgrade to a 3DS XL these characters are tiny :(

what is the best way to grind levels?

what is gold used for?

Find a stage with minimal time investment and maximum gain. The Code Guardian was a good cow for me to milk on the first play through with Solange. I'll try to get you mission names, but you just want to make note of which missions you gain the most XP off of, then replay them in free mode until the time sink is not worth the XP you get out of it.

I wonder what they would say if they played a localized Senran Kagura. :p

You know what?

Screw those guys.

This game is really dating me, but Solange is like Anette from El Viento, or Yuko from Valis. Hell, even Aya from Onechanbara applies even if she tipped the scale more toward lewd.

Maybe it's just me, but the 3DS is too small for me to really notice any jubbly bits. I don't play with 3D on because it doesn't work for me, so that doesn't help.

Solange is just a pretty kick ass chick. I've been going through a crisis of consciousness lately with characters like this. I like them in fiction, but I realize it's fiction, and things get ugly when gals IRL try to cosplay as them. I would welcome more characters like Hilde from Soul Calibur in terms of design and fairness toward the female audience, but the part of me that just loves crazy anime art and sexy girls doesn't mind.

Oh the horrible mental prison that are these contradictions within myself. D:

I still pre-ordered the uber deluxe Vita Senran Kagura since it will be the best chance for me to ever get to play one of them. I still hold out hope SK Burst will get localized for 3DS though.

Ali is a girl... how strange

Glad I'm not the only one! :p

Never have played this Guardian Heroes game before so I looked it up.

Boy that artwork is atrocious.

The art is butt, you would think Treasure built a time machine and hired Christopher Hart to do the designs; but their lack of artistic talent was compensated for by the insane game they crafted. Guardian Heroes was an oasis in the beat'em up desert of the 32-bit era. There were so many god awful beat'em ups released in that generation, mostly for Sony's console. :(

I'm glad more folks are finding and enjoying the game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I dunno. I thought the sprite work was nice whenever it wasn't being stretched into a pixelated mess.

serenasprites.png

I dunno. I thought the sprite work was nice whenever it wasn't being stretched into a pixelated mess.

serenasprites.png

The game looked fine.

The manual art and production art was the problem.

The art for Randy was particularly grotesque, but Treasure has a long tradition of grotesque art, but fine sprites. e.g. Gunstar Heroes. :X

OK, I'm turning in for the night. I was playing co-op for probably the last hour, almost exclusively using Ali. Damn she's a lot of fun. Once you stack her speed stats she's all over the place. I equipped a fire resistant item and went nuts with bombs. It's was like Randy's lightning all over again, LOL.

I probably will not be able to play again until Sunday morning. See you guys then.

Esura

Banned
You know what?

Screw those guys.

This game is really dating me, but Solange is like Anette from El Viento, or Yuko from Valis. Hell, even Aya from Onechanbara applies even if she tipped the scale more toward lewd.

Maybe it's just me, but the 3DS is too small for me to really notice any jubbly bits. I don't play with 3D on because it doesn't work for me, so that doesn't help.

Solange is just a pretty kick ass chick. I've been going through a crisis of consciousness lately with characters like this. I like them in fiction, but I realize it's fiction, and things get ugly when gals IRL try to cosplay as them. I would welcome more characters like Hilde from Soul Calibur in terms of design and fairness toward the female audience, but the part of me that just loves crazy anime art and sexy girls doesn't mind.

Oh the horrible mental prison that are these contradictions within myself. D:

I still pre-ordered the uber deluxe Vita Senran Kagura since it will be the best chance for me to ever get to play one of them. I still hold out hope SK Burst will get localized for 3DS though.

I'm like that too. Although, its not really a contradiction as you've established a line between fiction and reality and you have certain standards set for each one. Usually it seems like you get a lot of complaining about characters like Solange, all the DOA girls, Aya from Oneechanbara, Sophitia and Ivy from SC and etc. from people who blurs that line or want to make something look worse than it is.

So yeah, "screw those guys" is quite the appropriate response imo for that atrocious review. :D

You speak that moonwalk speak?

The art is butt, you would think Treasure built a time machine and hired Christopher Hart to do the designs; but their lack of artistic talent was compensated for by the insane game they crafted. Guardian Heroes was an oasis in the beat'em up desert of the 32-bit era. There were so many god awful beat'em ups released in that generation, mostly for Sony's console. :(

I'm glad more folks are finding and enjoying the game.

Well, I can't really play it yet. I have no HDD for the 360 at the house.

They should remake the game CoP style with that Ninu Kishimura artwork for newcomers like me for the 3DS.

Ken

Bought the game finally.

This game feels more sluggish than Senran Kagura haha... u.u

I like the silliness of the dialogue so far but man, the actual combat feels like I'm wading through molasses and not really fun.

Damn this game, my shipment came in yesterday and I'm kind of addicted. I beat the campaign with Solange in about 4 hours total and I'm craving more. I kinda want to start playing through with one of the other characters in multiplayer but I have no idea who I want to use yet lol

I think this is the best purchase I've made for my 3DS so far, to be honest. It'll probably stay that way till MH3U comes out.

Het_Nkik

Played some 4, 3, and then 2 player online co-op with friends while chatting on Skype. Pretty fun. There's a bit of lag between button presses and when your actions take place but it's workable. Plus it's just fun to play with others. Apparently the available missions are different depending on how many people you're playing with. That's what I was told by the dude hosting most the games, anyway.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Like the stat? I've been pumping attack on Solange.

Is there a way to respec?
You have to wipe the character back to level 1.

I maxed out Attack on Solange and split the rest evenly and that turned out pretty well imo.

The final boss was a push over. Solange can carve her way through the game once you learn to abuse the burst. She is definitely easy mode. I never once had to grind during the game and I think I died about 3 times overall. I finished the campaign with Solange at level 50. Otherwise I think my Ali is at lvl 22. I haven't really tried anyone else yet.

I haven't ventured into VS battle yet, but I'm down for co-op. Just make sure you PM me if you add my FC. I haven't added everyone on the list yet because I'm lazy.

Here's my Solange.

Lvl 50

Vitality: 33
Piety: 32
Attack: 120
Defense: 42
Mind: 37
Speed: 62

Weapon: Sunburst P.+4 M.+16 (Burst deals damage on activation)
Shield: Ifrit A.+8 S.+1 (Physical damage increased)
Lord Badge (fake) V.+4 P.+4 A.+4 M.+4 S.+4 (Dmg increased vs higher-Lv foes)
Gauntlet: Kaiser Band V.+1 A.+7 (Physical damage increased)
Ring: Fey Earring A.9 M.+5 S.+2 (Dmg increased vs higher-Lv foes)

branny

^The XL's bigger screens, slightly better d-pad, and rounded edges are helping me enjoy this game a lot more. CoP was definitely the tipping point for my purchase. =\

can you guys post your Solange Stats... have not played since last time I posted I want to go grind her stats up.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Level 99

Vitality: 73
Piety: 12
Attack: 160
Defense: 113
Mind: 104
Speed: 54

If I were to re-spec I'd pump less into Mind. Maybe 50-75 max into mind.

I'm thinking about reseting Solange at some point to do this.

soultron

Banned
Sister Hel is bullshit. Played online against someone and they were cheesing the fuck out of her beam attack.

My Solange is kind of a glass cannon so that didn't help either. Haha.

olimpia84

I believe I beat campaign mode with Solange lvl 56.
Right now I have her at lvl 60 with the following stats:

Vitality 89
Piety 38
Attack 134
Defense 40
Mind 12
Speed 51

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just reached the end credits after a pretty long night of play. Clocked in at 5:59 with a level 55 Ali. Solange was really the only other character i used getting her to level 27 before deciding to stick with Ali. Things didn't get rough until the Enter the Ninja where there was a rough patch of about 4 missions before I reached Possession.

It was there that I realized i could buy a bunch of boss attack up equipment and just murder him over and over for some good power leveling from level 20ish to 30ish since he was so easy to beat. Just move to a different plane, and let him jump to you and you get combo on him no matter what. Was beating him in like 20 seconds for 2-3 quick levels. From there on the difficulty seemed just right with a couple of game overs and a few close calls, but nothing insane.

The story had a couple of interesting moments, but it is really very cookie cutter and bland most of the way through. There was a reveal at the very end that was completely unexpected, but it ended up coming off as weird too me, not exciting or interesting. I do have to say I did like the Ali character. Usually I hate the down to earth foils to the rest of the characters, but this one has a certain charm to her.

This game seems to want to be much more than the story, with those tons of bonus missions and online play but I don't really feel the need to play anymore. Usually when games get harder they force me to use more and more of the skills given to me, but with this game I found myself using less and less.

At the start I was trying everything but doing everything just seemed to get me killed as the game went on and I found basically finding the one or two attacks that works best and spamming it over and over was the best way to go, and that just gets boring really quick. Yeah you're still doing group management and blocking and timing when is safest to use it, but its still just not enough to keep things interesting without a good reason, and as far as i can tell there really isn't a good reason to do these bonus missions.

Though I do admit it was fun for the 6 hours I played it. Even if the cutscenes weren't all good or significant I do love that they put at least one short one with every battle. Really kept the pace moving nicely. I probably would have been much more frustrated with it if it had added another 6 hours of mandatory filler to it making the story last 12 hours. So kudos for not doing that.

Looks like CGRundertow slipped in a review of CoP. The opinion is overall favorable, but there is no mention of Guardian Heroes. I can only assume that TJ has never played or even heard of GH. He goes on to assume that CoP is some natural progression of Atlus's fighting game/role playing formula from Persona 4 Arena and various other RPGs they have produced. This has hilariously resulted in every 2nd or 3rd comment asking, "Why no mention of Guardian Heroes."

It's a shame Mark didn't review the game for CGR main. The commentary probably would have been more lively with a better background history of the game mechanics.

Esura

Banned
"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Level 99

Vitality: 73
Piety: 12
Attack: 160
Defense: 113
Mind: 104
Speed: 54

If I were to re-spec I'd pump less into Mind. Maybe 50-75 max into mind.

I'm thinking about reseting Solange at some point to do this.

Damn, why you got so much into Mind? My stats are almost the same except for Mind and Speed. I got my Level 99 Solange with like Speed in the 100s and Mind is like 20.

RM8

I already maxed her attack, everything else is low-ish except speed. Oh well, I'll do a better job with Ali.

soultron

Banned
FC is 5413-1178-0170 if anyone wants to cross swords online. (haha)

If anyone here plays under the nickname Egregore, you're a beast. Sometimes the guy Perfects me.

RM8

I paid like $50-55 and I feel it's worth it (it's actually cheaper than most new 3DS games around here). Count your blessings, people living in first world countries :p

Top Bottom