• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code of Princess |OT| Guardian Heroines with a bit more Atlus 'n Titties

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This cat menu song might be the best thing ever.

I've never played Guardian Heroes although I've wanted to try it out for a long time now (waiting on a XBL price drop). So I figured I'd give this a shot.

The story so far seems a little long winded but it's surprisingly well voice acted. The gameplay is fast and fun although in a number of battles so far the framerate has been pretty bad. I'm playing Solange and thanks to some internet co-op I'm lvl 15 in an hour or two.

So yeah, good times. I needed something to play on my 3DS and this seems to fit the bill. Way more interested to try out Guardian Heroes now.

OMG yeah I love the cat menu song too, it reminds me of something you'd hear in the Persona series. Definitely enjoying the game... it's a bit sluggish and seems repetitive, but it's a great timekiller due to how the game is set up in bite-sized chunks. I just
saved the orphanage from some spider robot
in the main story and have been attempting a few sidequests. How long is the game?

Oh god this. One of the missions had a lot of them and it turned into a giant clusterfuck of slowdown and explosions. Blocking definitely helps there.

I equipped an anti-flame item for that stage and played the DEAL WITH IT meme. The problem then was just those twerps runnin' scared. >:|

I'm going to start this game tonight. Anything I should know going in? Any tits.......I mean tips?

Attack Aggressively!

OMG yeah I love the cat menu song too, it reminds me of something you'd hear in the Persona series. Definitely enjoying the game... it's a bit sluggish and seems repetitive, but it's a great timekiller due to how the game is set up in bite-sized chunks. I just
saved the orphanage from some spider robot
in the main story and have been attempting a few sidequests. How long is the game?

Not sure how long it is without obsessive grinding. My clock said 9 hours to complete, but I grinded like crazy - so maybe six hours if you keep it lean?

On the higher end missions, you gotta block, like all the time.
Like against those Archdemons.

With Solange I didn't need to block all that much. I put most of my points into attack straight off, then defense. I mauled most of the enemies in the game, unless they were runner scum like Juppongi or Alchemia.

The only mission I've run into trouble with using beast Solange is the one where you fight the final boss and the two Code Guardians.

Giolon

IGN review is up. It's not favorable and seems rushed and a bit swept under the rug. Two and a half wasted paragraphs in the introduction on Solange's outfit and appearance. Almost nothing detailed in the way of gameplay mechanics. Mediocre store or not, the review is a mess.

That really is a poorly written review. I've read other reviews that are harsh on the game but fair. If you can't tell that your leveling up is making any difference, maybe you're doing it wrong?

IGN said:
I'm afraid that most people who end up picking up Code of Princess will do so merely for the chance to more easily ogle a pair of bouncing virtual boobs here than in any other game released in recent memory.

Way to respect your audience. Besides, the author can't remember DOA5 that came out 2 weeks before Code of Princess?

Busaiku

With Solange I didn't need to block all that much. I put most of my points into attack straight off, then defense. I mauled most of the enemies in the game, unless they were runner scum like Juppongi or Alchemia.

The only mission I've run into trouble with using beast Solange is the one where you fight the final boss and the two Code Guardians.

Yeah, she has guardpoint on every move, so I guess it's not a big deal.

A.E Suggs

I'm afraid that most people who end up picking up Code of Princess will do so merely for the chance to more easily ogle a pair of bouncing virtual boobs here than in any other game released in recent memory.

Funny that, that is the last reason I'd buy the game for. In fact even if I were buying a game for boobs this game wouldn't come close for me compared to other offerings.

Ken

So I finally saw like 10 seconds of gameplay footage; the animations look pretty nice. Might have to pick this up...soon.

Do you guys think it's worth getting if I'm only going to play it offline? Is there a decent amount of collectibles to keep me going or is most of that tied to online stuff.

Koroviev

So I finally saw like 10 seconds of gameplay footage; the animations look pretty nice. Might have to pick this up...soon.

Do you guys think it's worth getting if I'm only going to play it offline? Is there a decent amount of collectibles to keep me going or is most of that tied to online stuff.

There's nothing wrong with playing the game offline, and it looks great in motion. It's also one of the few genuinely funny and charming games this generation.

There aren't really collectibles. You pick up items which grant you various Stat bonuses and change up your approach to the level. I really like it. It's not at all like some RPGs, where the equipment feels almost entirely divorced from the gameplay aspect, basic Stat increases notwithstanding.

In short, the game definitely deserves a place on your "to play" list.

I don't seem to be enjoying this as much as other folks in the thread. I understand why people like it, but there are a half dozen deal breakers in it for me that are driving me a little mad.

That said, I'll polish it off out of my backlog (at least in terms of beating SP once through) since I feel that in giving this game a solid chance, I've progressed through...most of it. How many chapters are in the main quest? I'm at
the part where I just beat up Solange's brother, killed his Code thing, and then got exploded back to the city and beat up some behemoths

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't seem to be enjoying this as much as other folks in the thread. I understand why people like it, but there are a half dozen deal breakers in it for me that are driving me a little mad.

That said, I'll polish it off out of my backlog (at least in terms of beating SP once through) since I feel that in giving this game a solid chance, I've progressed through...most of it. How many chapters are in the main quest? I'm at
the part where I just beat up Solange's brother, killed his Code thing, and then got exploded back to the city and beat up some behemoths

You're pretty close to the end.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
IGN review is up. It's not favorable and seems rushed and a bit swept under the rug. Two and a half wasted paragraphs in the introduction on Solange's outfit and appearance. Almost nothing detailed in the way of gameplay mechanics. Mediocre store or not, the review is a mess.

Oh, what do you know? Guy at IGN reviews his own views on sexism in games instead of the game itself. Again. If I was NewsCorp, I'd be pawning off this shitty site, too.

Mudkips

Banned
So I just started this.

Why are there 2 quest entries for the first battle for each character? I know the intro sequence is different if you pick Prolog vs. the first quest available for that character, but it's the same battle.

Does it get any deeper than run around and mash buttons to kill baddies?

Koroviev

So I just started this.

Why are there 2 quest entries for the first battle for each character? I know the intro sequence is different if you pick Prolog vs. the first quest available for that character, but it's the same battle.

Does it get any deeper than run around and mash buttons to kill baddies?

There is a difficulty curve. While the first several missions are fairly benign, later missions will require that you have halfway-decent stat distribution and objective-appropriate equipment. Guarding also becomes useful.

Busaiku

In the story, you can just press buttons and you'll be good.

For Bonus Missions, you have to actually do stuff like block, switch planes, use burst/lock-on, and so on.
Though I guess you don't have to with Solange, since she has armor on everything.

Everyone does have the same missions though, nothing unique.

RM8

I'll describe this as 2D Samurai Warriors, more RPG, less RTS. I love it and won't stop playing anytime soon, but at the same time I wouldn't blindly recommend it, I'm sure it's not for people who heavily dislike grinding.

Love Code of Princess, will try to play Guardian Heroes and Advance Guardian Heroes at some point.

branny

Yeah, just watch a longplay of the GBA one and save yourself the trouble, lol. I still haven't bought Guardian Heroes on XBLA, but I think my enjoyment of CoP is going to make me grab it soon. I just don't like going back to the slower rail-switching and lack of bursting.

In other news, I broke down and finally got an XL. (I also accidentally mangled my OG 3DS's charger while I was vacuuming, fate and all that.) It is gorgeous (cerulean!) and mostly fixes the issue I had with the corner digging into my palm. I think I may still run into problems with Kid Icarus (using the face buttons to move around since I'm left-handed and prefer to aim with the circle pad). Anyway, I haven't played anything on it yet (system transfer time), but I expect to have way more fun with things now unless something unforeseen crops up. I know it's hard to justify spending $180~$200 when you already have a functional 3DS, but I highly recommend it if you're not completely satisfied with the original model for various reasons. I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I still haven't bought Guardian Heroes on XBLA, but I think my enjoyment of CoP is going to make me grab it soon. I just don't like going back to the slower rail-switching and lack of bursting.
Guardian Heroes XBLA has burst and a lot of other neat tweaks.

RM8

In some weird way I still want to play the GBA game despite it not looking to awesome. Also, such a bummer that Guardian Heroes isn't on PSN *angry-stares at PS3*

Ken

There's nothing wrong with playing the game offline, and it looks great in motion. It's also one of the few genuinely funny and charming games this generation.

There aren't really collectibles. You pick up items which grant you various Stat bonuses and change up your approach to the level. I really like it. It's not at all like some RPGs, where the equipment feels almost entirely divorced from the gameplay aspect, basic Stat increases notwithstanding.

In short, the game definitely deserves a place on your "to play" list.

How's the combat? Does it feel like a fighting game in terms of controls? I see people typing stuff like QCB and whatnot so is it wrong to expect characters to have quite a bit of special moves?

branny

How's the combat? Does it feel like a fighting game in terms of controls? I see people typing stuff like QCB and whatnot so is it wrong to expect characters to have quite a bit of special moves?
Sort of. Here is Ali's movelist (the thiefy belt bra girl):

"Normals"

(Standing) forward, forward - dash
(Air) forward, forward - air dash (infinite)
(Air) jump - double jump

(Standing) B - slash (can be chained)
(Standing) forward B - backstab
(Standing) down B - upward explosion

(Standing) A - bomb toss
(Standing) forward A - whistle
(Standing) down A - smoke bomb

(Air) B - slash (can be chained)
(Air) forward B - horizontal lunging slash
(Air) down B - flipping heel kick (hits enemy downward)

(Air) A - bomb toss
(Air) forward A / down A - diagonal dive kick to slash launcher

"Specials"

(Standing) down, forward B - short range lunging slash (B can be pressed again for an explosive kick)
(Standing) down, forward A - long range lunging slash/horizontal teleport

(Standing) down, down B - uppercut launcher
(Standing) down, down A - near-instant teleport to air

(Air) down, down B - vertical downward lunging slash
(Air) down, down A - near-instant teleport to ground

Heh just started playing it... had it sitting here for a while

anyway this game makes me want to upgrade to a 3DS XL these characters are tiny :(

what is the best way to grind levels?

what is gold used for?

ezekial45

Banned
Tsukikage is a fun character, and I'm enjoying him a lot. I really like the diversity of the characters. No character is a clone or even similar to another character. So far, anyway.

RM8

Does anyone know where I can listen to the full intro song? Can't believe it's not on the pre-order bonus CD :/

branny

I really hate that you can only use ALL the characters you unlock in online -.-
I think you have to beat the campaign first to be able to use the all extra characters in Free Play/Bonus Quests. It's still stupid that there's no offline single-player Versus, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think you have to beat the campaign first to be able to use the all extra characters in Free Play/Bonus Quests. It's still stupid that there's no offline Versus, though.

Oh wait really? :D I was messing around with the bonus stuff on the side to practice combos. This is good to know.

I think this game is going to eat up many hours if I can continue to redo every challenge and get XP to level up

do the quests you have done before get harder as you level up? If not this is too easy

Bururian

I'll be playing the game tonight if anyone wants to play. I haven't had the chance to play since I did that night with 645 last week, Sooo

Just let me know if any of you want to do some online stuff.

Ken

Times like this I wish I could just download the game through the eShop instead of having to make a trip to GameStop.

soultron

Banned
I'll describe this as 2D Samurai Warriors, more RPG, less RTS. I love it and won't stop playing anytime soon, but at the same time I wouldn't blindly recommend it, I'm sure it's not for people who heavily dislike grinding.

Love Code of Princess, will try to play Guardian Heroes and Advance Guardian Heroes at some point.
Guardian Heroes Advance is great. Not the same, but I'd also recommend Gunstar Heroes Advance too.

I'll be playing the game tonight if anyone wants to play. I haven't had the chance to play since I did that night with 645 last week, Sooo

Just let me know if any of you want to do some online stuff.
I just added your FC. Hopping on in a bit. Nekobo and I were going to try to play some low-level co-op.

Top Bottom