• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty doubles down on his 400 million claim...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

As you watch this remember, people who tell the truth often use high detail because they have nothing to hide and they actually experienced said event.

People who lie use generalities (detail can get them caught) and often accuse the skeptic of being a bad person for not believing them. IE: "You actually think I would cheat on you Sarah?! I thought our love was stronger than that."

Which strategy does Colin employ here?

Last edited:

MacReady13

I was watching the Spawn Wave live show that had that little mongrel Jason Schreier on it, and he was making fun of Colin for only having 1 source for a story. Jason claims he wouldn't go with a story with just 1 source. Well I'm sorry Jason, but I put my faith in Colin FAR more than the bullshit you dribble out.

Anyway, great explanation from Colin. Basically, believe him if you want or not, he has gone with a story from a guy he vetted and spoke to 3 times. He's ONLY reporting what he was told. Is it true? Only those in the know will fully know but he went with it and I'm happy to put my faith in Colin.

StueyDuck

I was watching the Spawn Wave live show that had that little mongrel Jason Schreier on it, and he was making fun of Colin for only having 1 source for a story. Jason claims he wouldn't go with a story with just 1 source. Well I'm sorry Jason, but I put my faith in Colin FAR more than the bullshit you dribble out.

Anyway, great explanation from Colin. Basically, believe him if you want or not, he has gone with a story from a guy he vetted and spoke to 3 times. He's ONLY reporting what he was told. Is it true? Only those in the know will fully know but he went with it and I'm happy to put my faith in Colin.
I'm fairly certain Jason had been caught out before because he only used one source 🤔

I vaguely remember an incident like that

Majukun

As you watch this remember, people who tell the truth often use high detail because they have nothing to hide and they actually experienced said event.

People who lie use generalities (detail can get them caught) and often accuse the skeptic of being a bad person for not believing them. IE: "You actually think I would cheat on you Sarah?! I thought our love was stronger than that."

actually is often the opposite, who remembers too much is often msaking stuff up on the spot...

personally i'm doubtful of that amount, but it does not really matter anymore, a lot of people, especially content creators, already had a run with the news

MacReady13

I'm fairly certain Jason had been caught out before because he only used one source 🤔

I vaguely remember an incident like that
No, not the mighty Jason Schreier... he wouldn't do such a thing. He doesn't like Colin so it was a little jab I really didn't like. Plus I'm wondering why they had such a fucking soft cock on their show anyway. Completely ruined the program. Especially him trying to justify why he blocks people on twitter, and then trying to justify why he blocked RGT85 which was complete bullshit!

clarky

Gold Member
OP….. do you know a Sarah in real life or did you just pick that name at random 👀 🤔

Ehhhhh on topic, 400 million sounds like the total budget including marketing not the money actually spent.
Total budget including marketing would still equal 400million, not sure what you mean there.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
actually is often the opposite, who remembers too much is often msaking stuff up on the spot...
Nope. Detail can be fact checked. The more threads you leave open, the more your story can be checked on.

That's why you often see liars wanting to change the subject. They know they're being inquired for more detail and that means they have to remember more lies.

That's not to say Colin is 100% lying but he is employing that strategy which is a huge red flag.

StueyDuck

No, not the mighty Jason Schreier... he wouldn't do such a thing. He doesn't like Colin so it was a little jab I really didn't like. Plus I'm wondering why they had such a fucking soft cock on their show anyway. Completely ruined the program. Especially him trying to justify why he blocks people on twitter, and then trying to justify why he blocked RGT85 which was complete bullshit!
Oh he's a complete weenie for sure.

I just do enjoy the irony because I'm certain there was some story with him and like naughty dog or Rockstar where he made some claim and they came out and denied and he said something like, it was only a single source and he wasn't sure if he wanted to post it but did anyway.

I'm sure it was him.

clarky

Gold Member
Well the studio is located in a quite expensive place + Sony has acquired it + marketing.
Studio would have to be located on Mars and daily commutes included in the total for it to have cost that much. What hes saying doesn't add up no matter which way you cut it unless someone has got very rich at Probably Monsters.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

The more important question is why do you have such a hard on for this guy? Are you Tim "The Douche" Gettys?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The more important questions is why do you have such a hard on for this guy? Are you Tim "The Douche" Gettys?
I actually think the human psychology is what's interesting here.

Humans operate on wanting to believe preachers who tell them what they want to hear.

If you go after the preacher from a critical perspective, his followers treat you as a heathen. They WANT to believe his sermon.

It's fascinating to see groups operate this way.

clarky

Gold Member

Humans operate on wanting to believe preachers who tell them what they want to hear.

If you go after the preacher from a critical perspective, his followers treat you as a heathen. They WANT to believe his sermon.

Dude you need to quit the drugs.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

That sounds like a load of horse shit that a snake oil salesman would say

StueyDuck

Studio would have to be located on Mars and daily commutes included in the total for it to have cost that much. What hes saying doesn't add up no matter which way you cut it unless someone has got very rich at Probably Monsters.
I keep saying it. But offline rendered cinematics are extremely expensive and they planned to do this weekly (meaning they rendered many of these in advanced).

The studio wasn't located on Mars to cost that money. Games are 60mil. AAA games especially aren't 60 mil.

clarky

Gold Member
I keep saying it. But offline rendered cinematics are extremely expensive and they planned to do this weekly (meaning they rendered many of these in advanced).

The studio wasn't located on Mars to cost that money. Games are 60mil. AAA games especially aren't 60 mil.

How much does 3 minutes of offline rendered CGI go for these days?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You do have a point when it comes to cult of personalities. Phil Spencer does have his evangelicals where he can lie one week and then they'll carry the water for him the next. He's mastered the art of ambiguous language and wordsmithing, hence he was groomed for that role.

But with this, who the hell cares. It was very, very expensive and I'm glad it failed, but only if they learn from their bubble induced costly mistake.

HogIsland

People in here acting like Colin is some flavor of the week YouTube outrage merchant. If anything, he's shill adjacent for Sony. Him running with this story says a lot IMO.
i doubt sony welcomes the kind of attention colin brings to the brand. he's not a shill for sony so much as representing an unfortunate layer of the fanbase. what's the point of this story? who is invested in the budget of concord? people who want to see an allegedly woke game bite the big one so they bring back thick-necked beefcake muscle men who are 100% straight as hell in AAA games.

StueyDuck

How much does 3 minutes of offline rendered CGI go for these days?
you think they planned 3seasons of content with around 3 minutes of CGI.

and it's not the render process you numpty, it's the cost of the artists, the cost of the actors, the cost of the sound stage, the cost of the equipment, the cost of operation and mocap,

add all those things up for more than your average hollywood blockbuster or pixar animation length in shorts and you easily can see how the money piled up.

Say what you will about concord but those were high quality renders with detailed character models and animation.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i doubt sony welcomes the kind of attention colin brings to the brand. he's not a shill for sony so much as representing an unfortunate layer of the fanbase. what's the point of this story? who is invested in the budget of concord? people who want to see an allegedly woke game bite the big one so they bring back thick-necked beefcake muscle men who are 100% straight as hell in AAA games.
We need more William Joseph "B.J." Blazkowicz crushing ass and clapping cheeps in a Nazi filled train.

clarky

Gold Member
you think they planned 3seasons of content with around 3 minutes of CGI.

and it's not the render process you numpty, it's the cost of the artists, the cost of the actors, the cost of the sound stage, the cost of the equipment, the cost of operation and mocap,

add all those things up for more than your average hollywood blockbuster or pixar animation length in shorts and you easily can see how the money piled up.

Say what you will about concord but those were high quality renders with detailedcharacter models and animation.
I asked how much 3 minutes of cgi costs, not to be insulted.

Also you have no idea how much cgi they ordered or how far along it was, nor how much it costs by the looks of things. So your assuming an awful lot, you "numpty"

Last edited:

AmuroChan

That's not who he represents though. You're talking more about the Geeks and Gamers crowd, which is not LSM if you've ever interacted in the LSM discord or been to any of the live shows.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That doesn't mean a thing. They won't ever comment on leaks or the like.

We will see how their financials look if they choose to write it off or sit it on ice.
Next earnings report is Nov.

I dont think gaming companies even get that detailed. Maybe for something huge like Bungie perhaps, but not FW/Concord. So even if Sony brought them up, they just might be vague about like how MS or Sony might do some bullet points and go..... + or - due to reason XYZ without granular numbers.

Did Sony bring up in detailed Helldivers 2 financials? I dont think so.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I asked how much 3 minutes of cgi costs, not to be insulted.
you asked in bad faith.

we all know it was more than 3 minutes.

and the price isn't the length, it's a deal, they would have approached vfx houses for consultations, worked with partners they know or have a decent reputation and they would have farmed out multiple scenes to many places.

that's why this stuff costs as much as it does, it's not just fred in his basement rendering for 3 minutes and charging for electricity.

clarky

Gold Member
you asked in bad faith.

we all know it was more than 3 minutes.

and the price isn't the length, it's a deal, they would have approached vfx houses for consultations, worked with partners they know or have a decent reputation and they would have farmed out multiple scenes to many places.

that's why this stuff costs as much as it does, it's not just fred in his basement rendering for 3 minutes and charging for electricity.
So you have no idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom