• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth C said:
The nation as a whole does hate us, but mostly because they are tired of us being better than their team for, well, forever. It's the same reason you Louisville fans hate us, so you should be quite familiar. Note that the UCLA fan doesn't have a problem with Kentucky. 11 National Championships will do that.

But it's cool. Sorry our old coach can't seem to recreate his former success when detached from our school.

Kentucky's last Final Four appearance and Championship was in 1998. There have been a shit ton of teams better than you for well over a decade, so it's definitely not that.

jjasper

NewLib said:
Relating to the UT situation, Im hearing that Tyler Smith is going to be kicked off the team and Williams might also get a lengthy suspension/kicked off. Sounds like both guns were Tyler Smith's and maybe he was involved with dealing. Good news is that Tatum might survive and play again soon. Heard nothing on Goins.

Tyler Smith went from passing up on being a mid/late first rounder the last 2 years for this? What a fucking moron.

People hate Kentucky cause they basically sold their program to the devil in order to get a championship that they might get to keep if they are lucky. Now all their fans act like the guy is a saint.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Cornell is giving one hell of a scare to KU, with a little luck.......

And ISU is playing much closer with Duke than I would prefer, but at least they're a big 12 team.

NewLib

Banned
jjasper said:
Tyler Smith went from passing up on being a mid/late first rounder the last 2 years for this? What a fucking moron.

People hate Kentucky cause they basically sold their program to the devil in order to get a championship that they might get to keep if they are lucky. Now all their fans act like the guy is a saint.

I didnt watch the UT game because I was at the movies but I believe this. If UT gets back everyone but Tyler Smith, they will be a better team than they would be with Tyler Smith. He was a cancer on that team.

truly101 said:
Cornell is giving one hell of a scare to KU, with a little luck.......

And ISU is playing much closer with Duke than I would prefer, but at least they're a big 12 team.

cornell should've won this game - they were up 6 in the second half! oh well...

Karakand

Seth C said:
The nation as a whole does hate us, but mostly because they are tired of us being better than their team for, well, forever. It's the same reason you Louisville fans hate us, so you should be quite familiar. Note that the UCLA fan doesn't have a problem with Kentucky. 11 National Championships will do that.
^5

Karakand said:
Hilarious end to the UCLA @ Cal game btw. Getting daggered by Michael Roll off a broken play... YCMIU
Pretty much the ending that game deserved. Ugh. Cal was 2 for 18 from 3pt range tonight.

Seth C

jjasper said:

People hated Kentucky years and years ago. Long before we hired Cal. They hated us for getting rid of Tubby. They hated us for hiring "that slimeball" Pitino. And they hated us for Rupp. So yeah, it may be about Cal now but it has been going on for years.

Outdoor Miner said:
Kentucky's last Final Four appearance and Championship was in 1998. There have been a shit ton of teams better than you for well over a decade, so it's definitely not that.

Yeah, we've been down (and for most of that time, down at Kentucky is a top 20 team) for a few years. Yet we still have more wins than any other team in college basketball. Unless you are a fan of one of very few programs, your team may have been better very recently, but Kentucky has been better longer and more consistently.

I'm not saying that to brag. I don't care, really. But someone asked why there is hate for Kentucky and that's it. Kentucky was well hated from 94 to 98, they were hated for many decades prior, and it doesn't take much to bring those feelings back to the surface. People don't hate teams that are good now and only now. They don't have time to. They hate teams that have a history of being on top. It's why people hate UNC. It's why they hate the Yankees. It's backlash.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'd like Kentucky a lot more if they went back to these badass shorts......

1215253516_0203a12f47_o.jpg

I still have a pair.

scoobs said:
phew... thought my boys in crimson and blue were doomed! Sherron Collins is a stud. Period.

I hope the Horns and Jayhawks meet up undefeated. I'd look forward to that. But damn is the Big 12 good this year. Last check the big 12 had the highest OOC winning percentage of any conference. Looks like our football conference is switching over to the hoops

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Brian Fellows said:

Wow, yikes. I mean every team has had an ugly uniform in their history but WTF? How do I not remember this? Even Oregon would balk at that shit.

Also, I would be one of those chosen few fans who is not jealous or angry at UK for being better than most teams. My reasons should be pretty evident. But I could teach you kids a few things about rooting for a team that everyone else in the nation truly hates.

jjasper

Seth C said:
People hated Kentucky years and years ago. Long before we hired Cal. They hated us for getting rid of Tubby. They hated us for hiring "that slimeball" Pitino. And they hated us for Rupp. So yeah, it may be about Cal now but it has been going on for years.

I actually know a lot of people that liked Kentucky during the Pitino years but don't care for them now. Don't mistake hating Kentucky fans, which is a universal sentiment, for hating their team.

Anyway it is looking more and more likely that all 4 are going to get kicked off. The team looked pretty good last night considering who they were playing, but inexperience and lack of depth is going to hurt them. The real barometer will come Sunday.

PS: Those shorts were amazing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
NewLib said:
Didnt UK have denim colored jerseys for a while there too? God the mid 90s was a terrible time for style.

yes they did :lol

95-96 season, iirc. it was the denim that made them unstoppable.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
jjasper said:
I actually know a lot of people that liked Kentucky during the Pitino years but don't care for them now. Don't mistake hating Kentucky fans, which is a universal sentiment, for hating their team.

Yeah I've never heard anyone around here have a bad word about Kentucky until recently.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Brian Fellows said:
Yeah I've never heard anyone around here have a bad word about Kentucky until recently.

and what exactly caused this? the SAT thing at memphis? camby? my understanding was that dirty dealings where college basketball are concerned are pretty par for the course, to be honest; that's not to excuse whatever happened, naturally. still, the fact that there's lots of speculation and no bustin' going on is interesting.

Seth C

beelzebozo said:
and what exactly caused this? the SAT thing at memphis? camby? my understanding was that dirty dealings where college basketball are concerned are pretty par for the course, to be honest; that's not to excuse whatever happened, naturally. still, the fact that there's lots of speculation and no bustin' going on is interesting.

People were enjoying Kentucky being down. They would have hated Kentucky for being undefeated at this point in the season, no matter who our new coach had been. And of course people in Louisville aren't liking it. They had a couple years of being the better team in the state, something they hadn't really experienced for two decades, and they realized they liked it. They didn't mind so much back in the 90s because they hadn't had a great team in a decade anyway.

But hey, our rivals down south can hate us for our sudden apparent "thug" reputation all they want. Till our players are carrying around firearms without serial numbers, they are still the champions in that area. :D

In all seriousness, I realize the reputation Cal carries with him. It's not undeserved. So people feel like we've sold our soul to the devil for a winning basketball team. Only time will tell how it goes. At this point in time UK has a very, very good compliance staff, and I can only hope that they do their work in keeping any shady dealings (if they are in fact part of Cal's strategy) in check.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It has very little with wanting to see Kentucky down. People hated Cal when he was at Memphis. The hate has just transferred over to you. But by all means keep flattering yourself with your "the world is out to get us" rants. You are starting to sound like a Penn St fan.

Karakand

beelzebozo said:
Best coach in the past 20 years with 2 vacated Final 4s. Dare you to prove me wrong.

devilhawk

Seth C said:
In all seriousness, I realize the reputation Cal carries with him. It's not undeserved. So people feel like we've sold our soul to the devil for a winning basketball team. Only time will tell how it goes. At this point in time UK has a very, very good compliance staff, and I can only hope that they do their work in keeping any shady dealings (if they are in fact part of Cal's strategy) in check.
Thank you for stating this. The reason people dislike Kentucky more recently (other than UL) has more to do with how 90% of your fans deny the above.

Got some great games coming this Saturday.

Georgia v 3 Kentucky
4 Purdue v 20 Wisconsin
5 Duke v 17 Georgia Tech
13 Uconn v 12 Georgetown
8 West Virginia v Notre Dame
Vanderbilt v Florida

We have 2 undefeated teams hopefully getting a decent challenge, Duke going on the road against a ranked team, 2 good Big East battles, and 2 borderline Top 25 squads going at it.

Seth C

Brian Fellows said:
It has very little with wanting to see Kentucky down. People hated Cal when he was at Memphis. The hate has just transferred over to you. But by all means keep flattering yourself with your "the world is out to get us" rants. You are starting to sound like a Penn St fan.

Hell, I guarantee I could find some Kentucky hate from you on this forum long before Cal ever set foot on campus. Before Tubby bolted, at that. And if you don't want to see Kentucky (or any winning team) down then you don't care much for your team. I want Duke, UNC, Kansas, Texas, Michigan State, UCLA, etc. to lose every game they play.

But either way, it sure as hell wasn't me that brought this topic up. It was one of those UK obsessed Louisville fans. :D

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
People bashed Kentucky because they sucked, not because of some deep personal feelings against the program.

Seth C

DY_nasty said:
People bashed Kentucky because they sucked, not because of some deep personal feelings against the program.

So they bash us when we are good, they bashed us when we sucked, they bashed us when we were good before that. Yup, definitely all about Cal then. Thanks for the help. :)

DY_nasty

Seth C said:
So they bash us when we are good, they bashed us when we sucked, they bashed us when we were good before that. Yup, definitely all about Cal then. Thanks for the help. :)
Learn to deal with it. Kentucky was a joke, just like Nebraska in college football. Even when they were good... uh, that was more than a decade ago, nevermind.

Being good gets you a bit of hate, okay. But you know where that comes from. On the outside, it looks like Kentucky sold its soul to win games. Kentucky did. Everyone knows Cal was a douchebag who left two team in deep shit, you didn't care.

DJ_Tet

Banned
lol the guy who pulls for the school that tossed their alum and former player to the curb for the guy who 'doesn't give a shit about North Carolina' is talking to someone else about selling their soul for wins

DY_nasty

DJ_Tet said:
lol the guy who pulls for the school that tossed their alum and former player to the curb for the guy who 'doesn't give a shit about North Carolina' is talking to someone else about selling their soul for wins
Because Matt Doherty totally deserved to stay. I completely agree. He's really lighting it up at his new gig too.

Also, Roy was an assistant for Dean. He's not just some new. Plus he didn't leave any of his previous schools in ruins either...

DY_nasty

DJ_Tet said:
Semantics!

Thanks for the history lesson though ;)

Tough loss tonight for the Bobbers :(
Yeah, fell short again in the Shameball Classic

feels weird to grieve a loss with a duke fan...
Tamanon said:
Actually I bashed Kentucky because they're Kentucky.
No, people bash Duke because they're Duke. Kentucky actually gave you reasons to laugh.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Actually people bash Duke because they get all the calls. Oh, and because their white kids make weird faces. Scheyer-face for example.

DJ_Tet

Banned
And people hate UNC for much the same reason that they hate Kentucky, that they think their shit doesn't smell. But Kentucky has that extra 'cheat' factor around them too, a moniker they earned way before Calimari came sniffing around.

People on the east coast don't really hate UCLA but my parent's generation sure did.

Karakand

Speaking of white kids how do you handle Michael "the dinner" Roll, Niko "you are my cousin!" Dragovic and Reeves "Half" Nelson being your 3 leading scorers? I feel like I need to have a seance with Adolph Rupp about this. (I would just go talk to Coach Eyechart but I want the team to have that certain indefatigability Kentucky can offer.)

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Learn to deal with it. Kentucky was a joke, just like Nebraska in college football. Even when they were good... uh, that was more than a decade ago, nevermind.

Being good gets you a bit of hate, okay. But you know where that comes from. On the outside, it looks like Kentucky sold its soul to win games. Kentucky did. Everyone knows Cal was a douchebag who left two team in deep shit, you didn't care.

Kentucky was #1 and #2 finishing the regular season in 2003 and 2004 and was Double OT away from going to the FF in 2005. They had 4 bad years.

Cal did have to one up Roy in teams he has left in probation. 2 is greater than 1. (Actually is Memphis even in probation?)

DJ_Tet

Banned
NewLib said:
Kentucky was #1 and #2 finishing the regular season in 2003 and 2004 and was Double OT away from going to the FF in 2005. They had 4 bad years.

Cal did have to one up Roy in teams he has left in probation. 2 is greater than 1. (Actually is Memphis even in probation?)

:lol

It is funny how people (UNC fan) are acting like Kentucky just dropped off the face of the Earth. 'Kentucky sold it's soul for wins' when UK hasn't won less than 18 games in god knows how long.

psst UNC went 8-20 in this past decade

Face it, UK didn't beat everyone to 2000 wins for nothing. At one point UNC led that race, not all that long ago.

Seth C said:

But it's cool. Sorry our old coach can't seem to recreate his former success when detached from our school.
So basically your team is the Billy Mitchell of college basketball

Jtrizzy

You what the General says to be true. Rose/Evans/Wall. Two vacated final fours. I actually kind of liked UK under Pitino tbh. I was kind of disappointed when UK hired Cal, partly because I knew they'd be good, but also that they decided to guy with a guy with such a sketchy past.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
You what the General says to be true. Rose/Evans/Wall. Two vacated final fours. I actually kind of liked UK under Pitino tbh. I was kind of disappointed when UK hired Cal, partly because I knew they'd be good, but also that they decided to guy with a guy with such a sketchy past.

Did you know that when Pitino took over UK they were on very severe probation? It wasn't like Calipari went to 'Blue Heaven' for a lack of a better saying. A lot of people think it was a fitting match.

Jtrizzy

lol why? Are the maniacal Bobcat fans who disagree with his personnel moves? Or just hard core Cavs/Pistons/Lakers/Knicks fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom