• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

ASU @ USC on now, if one of these teams sweeps the other, that team will more likely than not get 3rd in the Pac 101 and ... maybe get an invite to the tourney.

AntoneM

neither team will break 50 points in this game. And it looks like ASU will score less than 40.

We will be 0-2 in Pac 10 when I really though we would be 2-0 after this weekend.

toxk_02

Black Republican
USC bans itself from the postseason
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/news/story?id=4792634

ESPN said:
USC has self-imposed sanctions on its men's basketball program for NCAA rules violations, including a ban on postseason competition at the end of this season, a reduction of scholarships and vacating all of its wins from 2007-08.

The university said the sanctions resulted from an internal investigation that found NCAA rules violations related to O.J. Mayo, who played for the Trojans during the 2007-2008 season.

Karakand

Nothing like losing the only rivalry game in your conference by double digits at home. Nothing.

I can only hope the same standard Lav-o was held to is applied to Fouland (i.e. under .500 season brings the axe).

The Duke and Clemson game will be a good watch tonight. Nice way to end the night if Duke wins after the Vikings and panthers obtained their victories.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Yeah hopefully it's a good early season ACC matchup tonight. Clemson usually gives Duke trouble, this year Duke finally has some inside depth though.

bluemax

Banned
Karakand said:
Sacrificial lamb.

Pretty much. Sucks for the kids this season who are working so hard and having a good season in light of all the other adversity. I hope they still play hard and do their best the rest of the way but I won't hold it against them if they tank knowing they have little else to play for.

Our hoops program is going to be so stunted for the next 5 years.

Branduil

StoOgE said:
I like how the USC basketball program gets banned from post season play for doing a fraction of what the football program has gotten away with.
Well there's a reason for that.

Silkworm

bachikarn said:
yeah, we probably had the worst shooting night in the Billy D era, but we made the one that counted :]
I just hope they find a way to win against Vandy. Maybe Parsons will have a good game at Vandy. I seem to remember him lighting things up when he played there before.
Checking...
Ah, yes I was right!
From Sunday January 25, 2009, quote: "Sophomore forward Chandler Parsons (Casselberry, Fla.) hit seven 3-pointers, including his first five, and finished with a career-high 27 points as No. 24 Florida routed Vanderbilt 94-69 on Sunday"

I hope he can replicate that performance this coming Saturday! :)

Anyway I hope the good mojo from that amazing shot helps propel the Gators forward in their SEC play! :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
kkaabboomm said:
duke just beat clemson by 21. so much for a close game (i didnt watch)

It really wasn't a blowout though. Clump was down 19 at half but scored the next 11 points. Duke played good enough defense to keep Clemson at arms length and outlasted them at the end. Definitely a preferable result to the all out ass kicking Clemson gave Duke last year.

pxleyes

Banned
packwide2.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

I want this blown up, printed, and framed on my wall. Absolutely amazing shot.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
pxleyes said:
BOOM BABY!

It's NC State fans. That fanbase has had its guts ripped out since the 80s, the curse of Jim Valvano lives on. Maybe next year when they get some recruits- but I feel like I'm a Clippers fan by following State.

Most incompetent AD in America.

bluemax

Banned
StoOgE said:
I like how the USC basketball program gets banned from post season play for doing a fraction of what the football program has gotten away with.
More proof of the basketball transgressions. More direct proof tying it to a school employee as well.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
bluemax said:
More proof of the basketball transgressions. More direct proof tying it to a school employee as well.

I guess the latter half is true. So far there are no direct ties to the football program, although it's highly likely they were intentionally looking the other way.

truly101 said:
It really wasn't a blowout though. Clump was down 19 at half but scored the next 11 points. Duke played good enough defense to keep Clemson at arms length and outlasted them at the end. Definitely a preferable result to the all out ass kicking Clemson gave Duke last year.
They had me worried at that point but the Smith, Sheyer, and Singler took the game home by scoring most of the points in the second half.

jakncoke

Banned
woot! nice game played today. ranked #23 in the AP, might be ranked in the coaches next week as well. really nice to have gilbert brown and jermaine dixon back.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
At least that took the sting out of the Curse of V striking last night.

Yay for Charleston.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'mma take a queue from those kids who post on the the ESPN message boards.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Though I better check myself so we don't lose to Iowa State.

Seth C

truly101 said:
I'mma take a queue from those kids who post on the the ESPN message boards.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Though I better check myself so we don't lose to Iowa State.

Well, if you are short two players you'll have a built in excuse. It takes more than 7 McDonald's All-Americans to beat the mighty College of Charleston, after all.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Seth C said:
Well, if you are short two players you'll have a built in excuse. It takes more than 7 McDonald's All-Americans to beat the mighty College of Charleston, after all.
Hey! Those two players are they key to our team's success!

:(

Meier

At this point, I feel like we're going dancing even though it's early. The team is inconsistent on offense when we play tough opponents, but hopefully they can build some confidence off these recent big wins.

I ain't gonna talk shit about UNC since they'll probably beat us.

just trying to gauge GAF's opinion on the University of Kentucky?

many of my fellow Cardinal fans believe the nation as a whole hates them, Cal, and think it is a team of thugs that Cal cheated to make eligible for one and done seasons

Seth C

GodfatherX said:
just trying to gauge GAF's opinion on the University of Kentucky?

many of my fellow Cardinal fans believe the nation as a whole hates them, Cal, and think it is a team of thugs that Cal cheated to make eligible for one and done seasons

The nation as a whole does hate us, but mostly because they are tired of us being better than their team for, well, forever. It's the same reason you Louisville fans hate us, so you should be quite familiar. Note that the UCLA fan doesn't have a problem with Kentucky. 11 National Championships will do that.

But it's cool. Sorry our old coach can't seem to recreate his former success when detached from our school.

NewLib

Banned
Relating to the UT situation, Im hearing that Tyler Smith is going to be kicked off the team and Williams might also get a lengthy suspension/kicked off. Sounds like both guns were Tyler Smith's and maybe he was involved with dealing. Good news is that Tatum might survive and play again soon. Heard nothing on Goins.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Seth C said:
The nation as a whole does hate us, but mostly because they are tired of us being better than their team for, well, forever. It's the same reason you Louisville fans hate us, so you should be quite familiar. Note that the UCLA fan doesn't have a problem with Kentucky. 11 National Championships will do that.

But it's cool. Sorry our old coach can't seem to recreate his former success when detached from our school.

I don't think most of the country really cares about y'all actually.

NewLib

Banned
StoOgE said:
I don't think most of the country really cares about y'all actually.

Most of the country doesnt care about college basketball. I dont think most fans are jealous of Kentucky, but there has to be something because it seems like every slightly negative thing that happens with Kentucky is reported repeatedly. Think about this: USC banned itself from postseason play, UT players were caught with guns and pot, Kansas players had ton of the off the court problems, UConn is still being actively investigated by the NCAA, and despite all of that Kentucky seems to have gotten the brunt of the criticism this year even for things not related to the Derrick Rose thing.

I think a lot of it has to do with Kentucky going from pretty bad to good without much of a rebuilding process and that gets people suspicious.

NewLib said:
I think a lot of it has to do with Kentucky going from pretty bad to good without much of a rebuilding process and that gets people suspicious.

2cwu5ac.jpg

that class, mainly from the spring signing period, will do that.

i do wonder why many UL fans think we're "thugs"...i mean our team is a bunch of good kids and Cousins, and if that perception comes from the UK-UL game, 1) it was a forearm, not an elbow, 2) he was kneed in the head, 3) etc etc etc, 4) he's got an attitude he's trying to control but i definitely don't think it's resulted in a team reputation of "thugs" yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom