• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

Jtrizzy said:
lol why? Are the maniacal Bobcat fans who disagree with his personnel moves? Or just hard core Cavs/Pistons/Lakers/Knicks fans?
It's basically like the Foucault's Pendulum of basketball. Very interesting sociological case study.

bill0527

Holy shit about Rick Majerus. I always thought he was a decent coach. I never really minded listening or seeing the fat fuck because he was always UK's bitch in the NCAA tournment for a long stretch of years in a row.

I found this link over at Catspause.. and my god.. this is some fucked up repugnant shit.

http://deadspin.com/5439875/ahole-coach-digest-special-rick-majerus-edition?skyline=true&s=x

If they had spoken to any of his former Utes, Majerus's new players might know that he regularly called his players a vile word for the female sexual organ. That he lambasted stars and backups alike and wasn't averse to poking them in their chests. That he once brought Van Horn to tears after catching him looking at his stats after a loss to archrival Brigham Young. That during the 2001-02 season Majerus reportedly called Lance Allred, a backup center who was 75% deaf, "a disgrace to cripples" who had "weaseled [his] way through life using [his poor] hearing as an excuse."…

"The first time, [ Utah was] recruiting me, and after the game I went down to the [ Utes'] locker room," says Jeff Johnsen, who signed with Utah in 1996. "His hair's everywhere and his sweater's off and he's just drenched, and he's eating a whole pizza in front of me and he's like, 'You want any?' I grab a piece, and then he starts undressing and gets in the shower and is still talking to me. It was funny. It was weird. How many grown, fat, naked men do you see when you're a high school kid?"…

Another player remembers Majerus calling him up to his hotel room on various occasions, and "he'd answer the door in his towel and I'd come in and the towel would fall off and it was like nothing had happened. He'd just be standing there buck naked."

Everyone has heard stories about Rick Majerus. His propensity for nudity and calling his player's "cunts" has survived long enough that they are both accepted facts of playing for Majerus. A friend of mine used to coach with Majerus. He was always eating, drawing up scouts in front of the team in the nude, making vulgar comments, and treating the managers like shit. Until a few months ago, my friend had been saving the best incident yet.

We were playing pickup and one of Majerus's ex-players was there. My friend called him over and told him to tell me the worst thing he had ever witnessed Majerus do. I could sense by both of their shit-eating grins that they both knew what story I was in for. It went like this:

"Rick was always a jerk to the managers. Every season he went out of his ways to never learn their names. They were only referred to as ‘manager'. One day, Rick was drawing up a scout in our team room about 2 hours before tipoff. Things were going well, considering he was fully dressed and we hadn't been referred to as cunts yet. From the white board he started yelling 'manager, manager, bring a towel over here!'.

"Not knowing what to expect, we sat back eagerly awaiting his next move. What happened next still haunts me to this day. Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, which he was holding under his ass. After he was done he used part of the towel to wipe, wrapped it up, and HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away. The kid looked like a deer in giant Rick Majerus headlights. The whole room was silent. Rick just pulled his pants up and went back to the scout, never once mentioning it or acting like anything out of the ordinary had occurred."

bill0527 said:
Holy shit about Rick Majerus. I always thought he was a decent coach. I never really minded listening or seeing the fat fuck because he was always UK's bitch in the NCAA tournment for a long stretch of years in a row.

I found this link over at Catspause.. and my god.. this is some fucked up repugnant shit.

holy shit

He's often been linked to the Illinois job, thank god it's never happened. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Outdoor Miner said:
Got some great games coming this Saturday.

Georgia v 3 Kentucky
4 Purdue v 20 Wisconsin
5 Duke v 17 Georgia Tech
13 Uconn v 12 Georgetown
8 West Virginia v Notre Dame
Vanderbilt v Florida

We have 2 undefeated teams hopefully getting a decent challenge, Duke going on the road against a ranked team, 2 good Big East battles, and 2 borderline Top 25 squads going at it.

gonna be a good day.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ha, i hope you aren't referring to my post. i don't necessarily think it's going to be a competitive game; i actually enjoy watching my team comfortably destroy the opposition. it's good for my nerves.

a couple of the other games look interesting, though.

Seth C

beelzebozo said:
gonna be a good day.

Every game is a good game for a Kentucky fan! Just like every day is a good day for a Guinness. Mmm.

But I think the list he posts is normally just every game involving a ranked team? Could be wrong on that. Anyway, they DID beat us on senior night last year (oh the shame) after having lost, I believe, every road game they played all season. So that's something. And it is our SEC opener.

Still no interest from the population at large.

Seth C said:
Every game is a good game for a Kentucky fan! Just like every day is a good day for a Guinness. Mmm.

But I think the list he posts is normally just every game involving a ranked team? Could be wrong on that. Anyway, they DID beat us on senior night last year (oh the shame) after having lost, I believe, every road game they played all season. So that's something. And it is our SEC opener.

Still no interest from the population at large.

i'll be at the game, as usual! i'm hoping we destroy them. like, a drexel-like beating. as pure revenge for senior night last year. i was at that game. it was probably the most depressed i've ever seen rupp arena ever.

it'll probably be a lot closer than i'd like, though. uga will put up a fight, but i fully expect us to put them away by 10-15 at the end. i am slightly worried about the florida game, though. first SEC road game. fl did beat michigan state. though they have also played like pure shit in other games to absolute nobodies. i think we can get the W there as well, but we've gotta beat UGA first.

edit: just watched florida lose to vandy at vandy. seeing the start of SEC play warms the heart

SyNapSe

Ksate at Mizzou should be an interesting one. Mizzou has been tough at home most of the time the last couple of years. The extra energy from the crowd really seems to give their frenetic playstyle a boost.

so, ummmm, Texas-Colorado.

it is halftime.

Texas has 42 points. Colorado has fucking 57. and it's AT texas. anyone watching that game?

NewLib

Banned
kkaabboomm said:

it is halftime.

Texas has 42 points. Colorado has fucking 57. and it's AT texas. anyone watching that game?

ESPN has the score backwards. Texas is up 57-42.

Seth C

Hey all. Looks like there may be an ESPN Full Court free preview going on. Check in your area. Confirmed in the areas of Kentucky served by Insight. Channels 561-586 if you have one of their digital boxes, though you have to enter the channel number manually to view.

Seth C

Today's Full Court schedule:

1:30 PM ET South Carolina at Auburn
1:30 PM ET Mississippi State at (16) Mississippi
1:45 PM ET Colorado at (2) Texas
2:00 PM ET Marquette at (6) Villanova
2:30 PM ET Central Michigan at Toledo
4:00 PM ET Georgia at (3) John Wall
4:00 PM ET Boston College at (21) Clemson
4:00 PM ET Nebraska at Texas A&M
4:00 PM ET North Carolina-Wilmington at George Mason
5:30 PM ET Illinois-Chicago at Cleveland State
6:00 PM ET Oklahoma at Baylor
6:00 PM ET Cincinnati at Seton Hall
8:00 PM ET Texas Tech at Oklahoma State
8:00 PM ET Rutgers at Providence
8:05 PM ET IPFW at Oral Roberts

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Rough game for Duke, no one can find his shot besides Scheyer. Our shooting is atrocious, luckily our D has kept us in the game but I don't feel good about this one...

Foul trouble is killing us too...

SyNapSe

Both games on espn/2 right now are tight in the 2nd half. League play always makes things more exciting for some reason

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
:lol at GA Tech rushing the court...really? A 17 over a 5?

Bowser

I was flying back from NYC when the UNC/CofC game was on and it ended when I landed. Ugh, this team is going through some rough patches. I don't think we should be ranked at this point. Hopefully we can get it together during the ACC sked.

Nice to see Dook go down this afternoon though :D

SyNapSe

oh shit, Pullen hits a huge 3 to tie it and then Zaire Taylor drills a LONG one.

At the end of Duke-GT game the announcers acted like it had been forever since GT got a win. Then it flashed up on the screen that it was 2007 lol

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Bowser said:
I was flying back from NYC when the UNC/CofC game was on and it ended when I landed. Ugh, this team is going through some rough patches. I don't think we should be ranked at this point. Hopefully we can get it together during the ACC sked.

Nice to see Dook go down this afternoon though :D
Nah you guys still deserve to be ranked. You have the talent, and you've lost to really good teams (except your most recent, obviously). You guys aren't as bad as our 2006-2007 team was yet.

Bowser

404Ender said:
Nah you guys still deserve to be ranked. You have the talent, and you've lost to really good teams (except your most recent, obviously). You guys aren't as bad as our 2006-2007 team was yet.

Maybe we do, but I'd rather we weren't. Might serve as a wake up call to this team. I think this is the most frustrating team Roy's dealt with since he's been here. I think we'll be down in the 18-22 range when the new polls come out. We're the only 4-loss team still ranked IIRC.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BlackGoku03 said:
Goddamit Duke.

Meh, GT has talent and size, losing to them at the ATL stinks but its not shameful. What sucks is they'll lose to UVA or Miami, someone they should beat easily but won't show up for. This is why I think Hewitt sucks as a coach. Lawal and Favors are beasts.

Sweet win over Duke today! After our debacle of a Tuesday with the Orange Bowl loss and Georgia loss I was less enthusiastic about switching from football to basketball. Way to go Jackets!

DJ_Tet

Banned
404Ender said:
:lol at GA Tech rushing the court...really? A 17 over a 5?

I knew they would rush the court. Normally I'd :lol however we're talking about a program that has never won a NC (hence, has never 'been there') and also lost 24 out of 26 to Duke (including 11 straight at home.)

Rushing the court was inevitable.

What wasn't inevitable was Kyle Singler becoming like Duke's 8th best player. I hope he gets some confidence back before March, we need him to step up like he's supposed to.

edit: And yes, Paul Hewitt is one of the worst coaches in the ACC. GT will lose to someone they aren't supposed to, guaranteed. Hell they already did it last week against Georgia.

truly101 said:
Meh, GT has talent and size, losing to them at the ATL stinks but its not shameful. What sucks is they'll lose to UVA or Miami, someone they should beat easily but won't show up for. This is why I think Hewitt sucks as a coach. Lawal and Favors are beasts.

Good thing we get them in Cameron next month.

ianswoody

Nebraska's Standhardinger having a great debut. He's bringing an inside presence to a super small team. Husker's Big XII darkhorse status confirmed!

truly101 said:
I really didn't see this happening though. I knew Duke wasn't going to win with a huge lead like their last few games but I didn't see this happening. You're right, Lawal is a beast.

Hasphat6462 said:
Good thing we get them in Cameron next month.
Damn right.

NewLib

Banned
UK played bad the first half, but Georgia is just making shots in the second half. Georgia has always plays Kentucky tough.

Edit: Kentucky pulls it out. Fox seems like a really good coach. Georgia's defense is the best Kentucky has played against all season.

giga

Back from the Coliseum. :D Gani is NBA-ready this season--tough as hell.

And I'm still lost as to how our team could have been ranked #17 before the game with three losses to Dayton, FSU, and UGA. That's the reason we "rushed" the court. And also because it's Duke.

Also, John Salley is awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
NewLib said:
UK played bad the first half, but Georgia is just making shots in the second half. Georgia has always plays Kentucky tough.

Edit: Kentucky pulls it out. Fox seems like a really good coach. Georgia's defense is the best Kentucky has played against all season.

yeah i was really really impressed with georgia. i hope this coach is as talented a recruiter.

cousins looked great tonight. if he stays 2+ years and develops he'll be unstoppable.

giga said:

And I'm still lost as to how our team could have been ranked #17 before the game with two straight losses to FSU and UGA. That's the reason we "rushed" the court. And also because it's Duke.

i'd have rushed the court, too. beating duke is always an occasion.

back from the UK-UGA game.

fuck that ref. that one fucking ref. fuck him. he needs to be fired. he needs to sit with the head of NCAA officiating, watch the tape of this game, watch every single horrible call he made on both sides of the ball, and then be told to turn in his fucking whistle.

UGA player trips, Wall is 2 feet away? foul on Wall. every time UK wants to tip it in? hahahaha, NO - it was called fucking goaltending. travels, travels, everywhere. #34 for UGA - his 5th foul? wtf. there were so many god-awful calls by that one man, fuck.

glad we won, we're still undefeated, 16-0, 1-0 in the SEC, but honestly, that one ref. his last goaltending call was like overturned by the other officials because the guy was beyond blind, and the basket allowed. it wasn't just against UK (though we had a bunch), it was against UGA too! they were playing well, UK couldnt hit shit, and that one-man-suck-fest of an official was trying to figure out whether he was a basketball ref or god knows what else.

anyways, holy crap at purdue losing, horray at GT winning!!, so close for 'nova, and wow at k-st losing to missouri. lots of interesting games all around

giga said:

And I'm still lost as to how our team could have been ranked #17 before the game with three losses to Dayton, FSU, and UGA. That's the reason we "rushed" the court. And also because it's Duke.

Because we hadn't lost to UGA yet when the polls came out.

Anyway, sucks I couldn't go tonight, I only went to the FSU game so far this season...

Even more impressive to me is Marshall's start. Donnie Jones really got that team together, it seems like. Right now, 12-2, and if we win today (likely), it will be 13-2.

NewLib

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
How is Baylor unranked? They are 12-1

They probably should be ranked. Arizona State is a good win. Xavier is a good win. Alabama really isnt that bad of a loss as I think Alabama is a pretty solid team.

Edit: West Virginia is getting straight up embarrassed.

seems WVU doesn't know how to play at ND tonight. this half has been painful for them. (45-25 at the half)

and in other news, it also seems a couple Kentucky players are sick, with a virus going around the team. Cal wouldnt name names, nor would Cousins, but thats scary to think about with the games AT Florida and AT Auburn coming up this week - we need to be healthy

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
kkaabboomm said:

it is halftime.

I was about to say. I was at that game, and did not recall that happening :lol

Colorado had 4 players foul out today :lol

Damn this Illini team.

Every fucking game they decide they want to be down by double figures in the 1st half.

My heart can't take this Jekyll & Hyde shit.

giga

Screen+shot+2010-01-09+at+10.31.40+PM.png

Neither of these two teams deserved to win this game.

beelzebozo said:
cousins looked great tonight. if he stays 2+ years and develops he'll be unstoppable.

I wish he would stay in develop, but i'm almost positive he will be draft bound at the end of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom