• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
jjasper said:
:lol Damn I just watch the highlights and realized that CBS had the score wrong at the end of the game and that layup Florida missed at the end would have won it not tied it. That would have sucked. Oh well good thing Parsons blew his load early. Someone should just draft that kid sit him at the end of the bench and bring him in at the end of a game to shoot the winning shot.

Robert+Horry%5B1%5D-1-785848.jpg

suaveric

Interesting, I didn't think this would happen this quickly. Pitt is a pretty good fit for the Big Ten. They could still add another two teams in the coming years as well. Any combination of Syracuse, Missouri, and UConn would fit in nicely as well.

Meier

Jordan DeMercy transferring from FSU. Guy can dunk pretty well and is a good defender but that's about it. Not surprised he's leaving.

He was a 4-star out of school but his athleticism alone got him by in HS I imagine.

StoOgE

Outdoor Miner said:
Rumors have it Pitt is joining the Big 12 errr 10 I mean.

They have a great basketball and football program, and their academics were the best of the rumored bunch. Doesn't sound like Dixon is thrilled though.

Not sure if you would count Texas as part of the rumored bunch (wisfhfull thinking on the part of Big 10 fans most likely), but I would contend that our academics are every bit as strong as Pitt's.

We are ranked ahead of them by a fair amount in both of the major world rankings of universities

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
StoOgE said:
Not sure if you would count Texas as part of the rumored bunch (wisfhfull thinking on the part of Big 10 fans most likely), but I would contend that our academics are every bit as strong as Pitt's.

We are ranked ahead of them by a fair amount in both of the major world rankings of universities

I've never once even heard Texas mention as a possible candidate.

StoOgE

Brian Fellows said:
I've never once even heard Texas mention as a possible candidate.

I've seen a shitload of links from Big 10 message boards saying it's a rumor. I think a few writers started the "rumors" by saying they should just go after Texas.

I'm not sure if I would say there has been any indication that Texas is actually in consideration beyond Big 10 fans wishlist.

We're all hoping the Pac 10 will get over their round robin shit and save us from the midwest clusterfuck we are trapped in.

JCX

StoOgE said:
I've seen a shitload of links from Big 10 message boards saying it's a rumor. I think a few writers started the "rumors" by saying they should just go after Texas.

I'm not sure if I would say there has been any indication that Texas is actually in consideration beyond Big 10 fans wishlist.

We're all hoping the Pac 10 will get over their round robin shit and save us from the midwest clusterfuck we are trapped in.

I read in an article about expansion that the Pac-10 tried to get Texas in the 90's , but expansion is harder in Pac-10 since new members have to be approved unanimously, whereas the Big Ten only requires 8-3 vote.

StoOgE

JCX said:
I read in an article about expansion that the Pac-10 tried to get Texas in the 90's , but expansion is harder in Pac-10 since new members have to be approved unanimously, whereas the Big Ten only requires 8-3 vote.

Texas and Colorado were both extremely close to going. A&M was going to the SEC back when the SWC died.

the State of Texas stepped in and decided to protect Texas Tech and Baylor because the speaker of the house and governor at the time were grads. Good Ole boy networks being what they are and Texas and Aggy being public schools meant that the government prevented either of us from going anywhere unless we brought Tech and Baylor along with us.

Thus we are currently stuck in the Big 12. Which brings us nothing of note other than KU for basketball and Nebraska for football. We already played OU in Dallas long before we were in the same conference.

Academically we simply don't fit in with this conference at all. With a few exceptions they are nothing but 3rd tier party schools with admission standards that should make all of their grads slightly embarrassed.

StoOgE

perfectchaos007 said:
Texas NEEDS to win tonight. I can't see us salvaging a top 2 seed if we lose tonight

Playing well to start, but we have bigger problems than a 2 seed if we lose 4 of 5.

Number 12 for Okie St looks like he has herpes.

Dexter Pittman continues to be completely worthless. We need to quit starting him and let him get fat again.

StoOgE

Dexter Pittman is fucking worthless.

Get his ass off the court and give him a cheeseburger for comfort.

SyNapSe

StoOgE said:
the State of Texas stepped in and decided to protect Texas Tech and Baylor because the speaker of the house and governor at the time were grads. Good Ole boy networks being what they are and Texas and Aggy being public schools meant that the government prevented either of us from going anywhere unless we brought Tech and Baylor along with us.

Thus we are currently stuck in the Big 12. Which brings us nothing of note other than KU for basketball and Nebraska for football. We already played OU in Dallas long before we were in the same conference.

Academically we simply don't fit in with this conference at all. With a few exceptions they are nothing but 3rd tier party schools with admission standards that should make all of their grads slightly embarrassed.

Wasn't it down to Rice or Baylor at one point? It's been quite a few years.

Out of interest, what conference would have been better over the last few years for Texas? It seems like the B12 has had good success sending multiple teams to the BCS even though I don't like our tv deals in foosball. In basketball we get good coverage and I think the league has gone from one of the weaker one's to really strong top-to-bottom. I feel like Texas is stronger in both football/basketball presence from when I was a kid.

StoOgE

SyNapSe said:
Wasn't it down to Rice or Baylor at one point? It's been quite a few years.

Out of interest, what conference would have been better over the last few years for Texas? It seems like the B12 has had good success sending multiple teams to the BCS even though I don't like our tv deals in foosball. In basketball we get good coverage and I think the league has gone from one of the weaker one's to really strong top-to-bottom. I feel like Texas is stronger in both football/basketball presence from when I was a kid.

Hard to say.

We were a bad basketball team when we joined the Big 12. Would we have turned it around the way we have? Who knows.

As far as football I'm really not sure. Recruiting would have been much better for us with inroads into Cali. I don't know what the Big 12 North would have done without being able to recruit Texas kids.

It's a whole alternate universe sort of thing, who the fuck knows what would have happened. Would we have Mack right now? A national title? Maybe, maybe not. Real hard to say.

NewLib

Banned
Texas has some really good players, the program they have had is Barnes insists on playing so many players. It seemed like Barnes limited his bench a bit this game especially in the second half and let Hamilton take over.

StoOgE

perfectchaos007 said:
Pittman only played 10 minutes. Looks like you got your wish of benching him

And we won.

I like the guy, but he has been worthless ever since the North Carolina game. He was a beast up until that point.

We have several good big men, we need to give them their shot. I hope we have a switch to the starting lineup next game.

chuckddd said:
96 team tournament rumor.

And, of course, denied by the NCAA.

Personally, I think I'd like to see 68 teams. Make more of the AQs play for the right to get smoked by a number one. But 96? Just let everyone in.

well they wanted to go 128, so I guess 96 is a mid-way "compromise". But yeah, I think a 64 team tournament is plenty enough. I doubt anyone who gets left out of the tournament in the current 64 team playoff system would have a chance at going all the way. It's just nearly impossible.

NewLib

Banned
They are atleast going to add another team as right now there is a Conference with no Automatic Bid. So at the bear minimum expect the tourney to expand to 66 in the next few years and if you are going to 66, might as well go 68.

I agree with the idea being thrown around that Conference Champs shouldnt have to play in opening round games which really arent consider part of the tournament by most people. Instead, the last 2/4/8 at large teams should play for the 12/13 slots.

No no no no.

Just...how many 18-12 teams with 6-10 conference records and one win against top 25 ranked teams against 6 losses outta the WAC and Horizon do they think they need?

And conference champs having to watch themselves against that 15th seed is a valuable part of what makes the field of 64 (not 65) fun.

exarkun

I've been talking with coworkers about this, but wtf is going on with Texas basketball? They were playing so well a couple week ago then the losses began and they just slid. Last night I was able to catch the Texas game for once and they didn't look too dominant. I was a little surprised by the way Okie st hung around for a while.

They should just let Texas' stars play most of the game and stop with the ton of rotations that I used to see in the beginning of the season (with a bit of success) since it doesn't seem to be as effective? as it was.

Well I've heard they might be doing away with the NIT if they go with the 96 team tourney. If that is the case I'll throw my support behind it. Having more than one post-season tourney is dumb.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Outdoor Miner said:
Well I've heard they might be doing away with the NIT if they go with the 96 team tourney. If that is the case I'll throw my support behind it. Having more than one post-season tourney is dumb.

You're forgetting the CBI!

UK beat Ole Miss tonight. it was nice. wall smiled, rupp rocked, and UK is well on it's way to the later, harder half of their SEC season.

Mrbob

Badgers have now won three games this season against teams ranked in the top 5 at the time.

I still bet they get a 5 or 6 seed once the tourney starts. Reading some national articles and the words Badgers stun or shock or upset Michigan State are used. I suppose this helps get Wiscy more exposure on a national level, but those who pay attention to college bball know the Badgers beat down last night wasn't a shock at all. They have always been dominant at the Kohl center with Bo Ryan as coach, even in the down years. In his coaching career he is 12-5 against Michigan State. I guess the shocking part could be how dominant the Badgers were, even without one of their good players. But this team overall is very solid, and Bo has always been one of the better coaches amongst the colleger ranks.

On the top of 96 team expansion for the tourney, no sir, I don't like it.

NewLib

Banned
Mrbob said:
Badgers have now won three games this season against teams ranked in the top 5 at the time.

I still bet they get a 5 or 6 seed once the tourney starts.

On the top of 96 team expansion for the tourney, no sir, I don't like it.

A losing record on road/neutral will hurt your seeding in that way.

Edit: Not that Im saying that Wisconsin deserves a 5/6 right now. I would probably put them at 3/4.

Mrbob

Well they did have one head scratching loss earlier in the year. After they beat Duke they followed that game up with a loss at UWGB...crazy. :lol Other than that they have had some road losses in the big 10 but the conference is pretty tough at the top. Had a final shot at purdue this past weekend to win the game, lost a heartbreaker. Lost at Mich State by 7, and lost at Ohio State by 9. All these big 10 road games they lost they have been playing without their best emerging player on the team when Jon Lauer got hurt after the fourth big 10 conference game. Honestly I don't know how Bo Ryan does it sometimes with the teams he has. He is a mad scientist of sorts at head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom