• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
UWGB was playing great ball at the time (no idea what they are doing now).

Bo Ryan is probably the best pure coach in basketball right now. He is either a complete shit at recruiting or just doesn't give a rats ass (which is probably the case) and will take whatever comes to him.

Erin Andrews was kind of a bitch after the game. Ryan was trying to pimp his assistant coach as the reason they won so handily and she was grilling him on specifics. Retard.

Mrbob

I always wondered about his recruiting. He might be the guy who loves to teach the game, but maybe not the guy who wants to go to everyones home in the offseason to get them.

His reaction last night to her question about the Lucas injury was gold. Gives her a strange look, laughs and tells her something to the tune of, "Why are you asking me? You got the wrong coach. Oh is it because I already lost a good player and have experience on the matter?" I think he was joking with her, but as he was walking away you could still see him laughing about the question.

Btw what was with all the sparty talk last night in the broadcast?

Sparty this, Sparty that. IT is SPARTANS. So annoying almost sounded like a homer broadcast on espn. At least the parts I watched between Lost commercials.

eznark

Banned
He seemed visibly annoyed with her at the end of the game. Maybe he was disappointed with her video?

If I was a Spartan fan I would be pissed at the cutsey nickname. Oh here comes Sparty, so cute. Stupid as the Gold. Yeah, fuck you Rev. Wild.

jakncoke

Banned
What a clusterfuck of a game. Seriously. 2 occasions of fans throwing shit on the court, 1 asst coach getting beamed in the face by something. Just madness. I can't wait till the 12th, this loss leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. 6/30 in the 2nd half is just utterly pathetic. Gilbert Brown and Brad Wanamaker 0 overall points. Man I wish Ashton Gibbs would get his stroke back on, he has been shitty the past couple games and what the fuck with him missing 3 straight free throws, he's cash money from the charity stripe.

Karakand

eznark said:
Bo Ryan is probably the best pure coach in basketball right now. He is either a complete shit at recruiting or just doesn't give a rats ass (which is probably the case) and will take whatever comes to him.
Or no one wants to play in Madison or for him.

bluemax

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
No no no no.

Just...how many 18-12 teams with 6-10 conference records and one win against top 25 ranked teams against 6 losses outta the WAC and Horizon do they think they need?

And conference champs having to watch themselves against that 15th seed is a valuable part of what makes the field of 64 (not 65) fun.

The rate at which 15 seeds knock off 2 seeds is so abysmally low.

It's a couple days later and I am still reeling from that game.
Wisconsin getting some lucky rolls at first but mainly the Spartizzles not even wanting it.

"Oh its a loose ball, let's stand there, do nothing, and document this moment".

The refs were also terribly inconsistant and I had to suffer through Brent Musburger, so I was in a particularly shitty mood all night.

jakncoke

Banned
I hope one of these days a 16 knocks out a 1. That shit will roll a avalanche of :lol's. How would a field of 96 even work?

jakncoke

Banned
Boy I can foresee some major bitter tears from fans of teams that barely missed the bye if the 96 field ever gets greenlighted. Then major debates will ensue about not enough mid major byes.

Seth C

96 teams is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Look folks, you already have at least 4 teams too many in the tournament, as evidence by the fact that no team seeded 61st or lower has ever won a single game. Adding 32 more teams that have ZERO chance to win the tournament only serves to water it down further.

bluemax said:
The rate at which 15 seeds knock off 2 seeds is so abysmally low.

That was only one of the reasons I posted when I saw that.

To add:

Minor conference champions pitted against each other and those 18-12 teams; I'm sure the Sun Belt and American East conference schools would love this instead of now facing off on even footing (no play in game any more either).

Diluting of conference championships.

Diluting of regular seasons.

Still having a bubble, but now its for the lower rungs of the NIT rather than the NCAA as its metric.

And on, and on, and on.

jjasper

The whole expansion idea is just a ploy by coaches for increased job security. Hey dickwads you make a shit ton of money you deserve all the pressure you get.

Karakand

Seth C said:
96 teams is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Look folks, you already have at least 4 teams too many in the tournament, as evidence by the fact that no team seeded 61st or lower has ever won a single game. Adding 32 more teams that have ZERO chance to win the tournament only serves to water it down further.
There are like 32 teams too many. Great show, terrible vehicle for "elite" postseason play.

jakncoke

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
I'd rather have 128 than some retarded uneven amount.

I guess. But would you really want a tourney with even less qualified teams in it. Oh hey Northeast got 4 bids..cool. At least if they went 96, it'd hold that shit to minimum

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
jakncoke said:
But would you really want a tourney with even less qualified teams in it. Oh hey Northeast got 4 bids..cool. At least if they went 96, it'd hold that shit to minimum

Sure. 32 teams are gonna have byes anyway. Why not have them play someone even if its a gimmie?

Seth C

Karakand said:
There are like 32 teams too many. Great show, terrible vehicle for "elite" postseason play.

Probably accurate, but at least every other seeding level has won games. An 8 seed (Top 32) is the lowest to win the whole thing, but two 11 seeds have advanced to the Final Four. I can understand going from 48 to 64, to make the numbers even up. But when that last group has never won even a single game, you clearly do not need even more teams.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Seth C said:
Probably accurate, but at least every other seeding level has won games. An 8 seed (Top 32) is the lowest to win the whole thing, but two 11 seeds have advanced to the Final Four. I can understand going from 48 to 64, to make the numbers even up. But when that last group has never won even a single game, you clearly do not need even more teams.

Thats because that last group always consists of teams that couldn't buy a win in the NIT. If they went to 96 those last 4 seeds would probably still be the last 4 seeds.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The adding of the extra 32 teams isn't about getting more mid-majors in the tournament. It's about getting more BCS teams in the tournament. I'm willing to guess that 25+ of those 32 will from the big 6 conferences. Have a .500 record, but went 6-10 in the ACC? Don't worry, you're in!

SyNapSe

jjasper said:
The whole expansion idea is just a ploy by coaches for increased job security. Hey dickwads you make a shit ton of money you deserve all the pressure you get.

Yup, and I've even heard some of the coaches point to the football system as a reason more teams should get into the tourney. :lol Based on the % of D1 that gets into a bowl game.

The whole point of the tourney is to crown a national champion and there is no need for expansion. If you want coaches to save their job by "making the postseason" then continue to try and build the NIT into something bigger.

Z_Y

jakncoke said:
What a clusterfuck of a game. Seriously. 2 occasions of fans throwing shit on the court, 1 asst coach getting beamed in the face by something. Just madness. I can't wait till the 12th, this loss leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. 6/30 in the 2nd half is just utterly pathetic. Gilbert Brown and Brad Wanamaker 0 overall points. Man I wish Ashton Gibbs would get his stroke back on, he has been shitty the past couple games and what the fuck with him missing 3 straight free throws, he's cash money from the charity stripe.

You can't wait for another loss?

Z_Y said:
You can't wait for another loss?

I think if Pitt wins their next 2 games (Seton Hall & Bobby Mo) they will be fired up for a rematch at the Pete. The Oakland Zoo better be loud. I don't think either team played up to their respective skill levels in yesterday's game. We know at least one thing about the upcoming rematch, the Pitt fans will be 100X more classy than the WVU fans were last night.

Z_Y

TheOrangeKid007 said:
I think if Pitt wins their next 2 games (Seton Hall & Bobby Mo) they will be fired up for a rematch at the Pete. The Oakland Zoo better be loud. I don't think either team played up to their respective skill levels in yesterday's game. We know at least one thing about the upcoming rematch, the Pitt fans will be 100X more classy than the WVU fans were last night.

:lol

Being a WVU fan who has been to many a Pitt game in Pittsburgh...I'm going to have to take a look at your math on that.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Remember when John Henson was listed as a lottery pick earlier this year?

He finally got 14 pts tonight (in 14 min.) Marcus Ginyard and Will Graves combined for 10 pts in 64 minutes. It's time to get Henson some more minutes, has he looked lost or is he just not gotten PT?

Also, Ed Davis needs to be more assertive and start demanding the ball 20+ times a game. He's too talented not to be a huge focus of their game. Also, as known from the Kansas days, Roy just isn't that great of a floor coach. Never fear for UNCCH though, don't forget they get the #1 kid in the nation next year and a top quality point. They have a lot of talent right now but ultimately no one can hit an outside shot and their pg position is weak.

And it appears they have no heart. But they've already won more than 8 games, so, it's been worse. And they are defending NCs, so they got that going for them too. No reason for anyone to feel sorry for UNCCH.

Bowser

Henson definitely played probably his best game as a Heel, was named the player of the game (by Raycom lol) for the Heels, and...wasn't on the floor for the last 5 minutes. Roy's too damn stubborn and this year it has cost him. I don't understand what the point of yanking Marcus from the starting line up to already destroy what little confidence he probably had only to have him play 25-28 min was...what good did it do? Roy's coaching and decision-making this year have been downright baffling and pretty terrible.

And I got tickets to the dook game which looks like this year will be a blowout of epic proportions :/

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:
And I got tickets to the dook game which looks like this year will be a blowout of epic proportions :/

Man, you know your team will play its best game of the season against a team thats 1-4 on the road. The sheep may suck this year, but I don't expect Duke to sweep them. Besides, Strickland and McDonald are fast enough to give us problems. If we shoot poorly from the perimeter, we could lose easily.

Karakand said:
Man I love the Pathetic-101 we're actually in the conference title hunt now. Holla!
Yeah, this is pretty silly:
Pac-10 standings: Cal 6-4, Arizona 6-4, Arizona State 6-4, UCLA 6-4, USC 5-5, Washington 5-5, Oregon 4-5, Stanford 4-6, Washington State 4-6, Oregon State 3-6.

Karakand

I hope we win it even if it means Fouland is made coach for life, generalissimo stylee. It would set the conference back a 100 years and it hasn't even existed that long.

Karakand said:
I hope we win it even if it means Fouland is made coach for life, generalissimo stylee. It would set the conference back a 100 years and it hasn't even existed that long.

The Pac-10 is lucky that every conferrence has a 1 team guarenteed entree to the dance. Otherwise I don't know if any Pac-10 team would get in.

If UCLA wins the pac-10, just look at their out of conference record to see just how bad the Pac-10 is.

bluemax

Banned
jjasper said:
Those have already been diluted by the stupid post season conference tournaments.

Seriously. USC could conceivably win the Pac 10 Regular season Title this year, not play in the Conference Tournament and not play in the NCAA tournament. What's the point of a regular season with conference tournies and an expanded NCAA tournie?

Cornballer said:
Cal needs to figure out a way to win the close games. Lost again tonight in a tight game against USC.

Should've played zone. USC can't beat the zone, since we have almost no jump shooters.

Karakand

perfectchaos007 said:
If UCLA wins the pac-10, just look at their out of conference record to see just how bad the Pac-10 is.
Thanks for explicitly stating what I had just implied in my previous post.

Karakand said:
Thanks for explicitly stating what I had just implied in my previous post.

Oh right you're a bruin. I knew you were affiliated with the Pac-10 someway, but you didn't post enough this year in the college football thread for me to have that in my longterm memory. I knew Cyan = Cal and I push Fat Kids aka Kevetones = Oregon. Kara = UCLA got it

bluemax said:
Should've played zone. USC can't beat the zone, since we have almost no jump shooters.

Time to give Lil Romeo some play time!

Someone did the math and it's currently possible for every Pac-10 team to finish 9-9 this season. :lol
bluemax said:
Should've done something different. Rebounding was appalling - Cal's centers/power forwards pulled down a combined 2 rebounds in the game. Big game against UCLA today, but Cal haven't beaten them in the last 3(?) years. :/

DJ_Tet

Banned
Wow, Georgetown is taking it to Villanova. They looked really good against Duke but then fell into a classic trap game against USF who drilled them at home without their second best player.

Looks like they are responding with a vengeance.

Bowser

OT, but as someone who was just recently introduced to Arrested Development (almost through my first viewing of the entire series), Cornballer's username and avatar are all the more hilarious :lol

NewLib

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Wow, Georgetown is taking it to Villanova. They looked really good against Duke but then fell into a classic trap game against USF who drilled them at home without their second best player.

Looks like they are responding with a vengeance.

The key to beating Georgetown: get their guards into foul trouble. They have a 2 deep bench and one PG.

The key to beating Villanova: Dont turn the ball over and take advantage of their very haphazard defense.

Seth C

dagZ said:
'Nova doesnt have what it takes to come back it looks like. Hopefully 'CUSE moves up to #2 or even #1!

Kansas would need to lose, and in one of the polls you'd also need to move past Kentucky, who is currently thrashing one of the worst teams in Division I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom