• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Yeah, the attendance was pretty abysmal last night. They showed Roy looking around and mouthing, "Wow, this is the smallest group I've ever seen in here." I didn't have tickets to the game (and even if I did I wouldn't have gone as I was studying for a midterm later today), but I don't blame students for not wanting to spend upwards of 5 hours to watch that pathetic display of basketball.

For those who are unfamilliar with UNC's student ticket policy, it's based on phases. Students with phase 1 go to the Dean Dome 2.5 hours before tip, phase 2 2 hours, etc. until phase 5 which is 30 min before tip. And to exacerbate the problem, this year each student who wins the lottery only receives one ticket to the game (last year each student recevied 2 per) so then you have to coordinate and trade tickets if you're trying to go watch the game in more than groups of two. It's really fucking stupid and hopefully changed next year (though I'll be gone seeing as I'm a senior...what a way to end it, huh? At least I got a title out of my four years! :D)

NewLib

Banned
I was actually thinking that Purdue might actually be the best team in the country with the way they were playing lately too....

Really sucks.

Edit: Also I know ESPN has contracts and such, but their two games on their flagship channel tonight are Northwestern at Iowa and California at Arizona.

Woo I combined 1 team that will be in the NCAA tournament (Im given Cal the benefit of the doubt that they win the Pac 10).

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
UNC's crumbling is nothing like Kentucky's crumbling.

Do you mean the crumbling last year or the slow 4 year crumbling of our program.

If its the first, then yeah your right its much worse.

If its the second, yeah your right its much better.

Dresden

Can't believe UNM is ranked in the top ten. Most likely won't last and we'll get destroyed in March, but what a sweet ride it has been. Sure, next year Hobson will probably go and without him and Martinze it's down to, what, Dairese?

Oh well. Excited about March for the first time in college.

devilhawk

Bowser said:
Yeah, the attendance was pretty abysmal last night. They showed Roy looking around and mouthing, "Wow, this is the smallest group I've ever seen in here." I didn't have tickets to the game (and even if I did I wouldn't have gone as I was studying for a midterm later today), but I don't blame students for not wanting to spend upwards of 5 hours to watch that pathetic display of basketball.

For those who are unfamilliar with UNC's student ticket policy, it's based on phases. Students with phase 1 go to the Dean Dome 2.5 hours before tip, phase 2 2 hours, etc. until phase 5 which is 30 min before tip. And to exacerbate the problem, this year each student who wins the lottery only receives one ticket to the game (last year each student recevied 2 per) so then you have to coordinate and trade tickets if you're trying to go watch the game in more than groups of two. It's really fucking stupid and hopefully changed next year (though I'll be gone seeing as I'm a senior...what a way to end it, huh? At least I got a title out of my four years! :D)
I'm surprised Roy didn't change it to being like the KU system. Our camping system is much better and run almost entirely by the students.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
NewLib said:
Do you mean the crumbling last year or the slow 4 year crumbling of our program.

I don't see how one very bad year (of a pretty much all underclassmen team) immediately equates to a destructive, downward spiral of a program.

Kentucky's season last year was only ridiculous because people got the crazy idea that it was actually a good team to begin with. Kentucky never did anything under Gillispie. Ever.

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
I don't see how one very bad year (of a pretty much all underclassmen team) immediately equates to a destructive, downward spiral of a program.

Kentucky's season last year was only ridiculous because people got the crazy idea that it was actually a good team to begin with. Kentucky never did anything under Gillispie. Ever.

So you agree with me?

SyNapSe

NewLib said:
Also I know ESPN has contracts and such, but their two games on their flagship channel tonight are Northwestern at Iowa and California at Arizona.

Woo I combined 1 team that will be in the NCAA tournament (Im given Cal the benefit of the doubt that they win the Pac 10).

Only to be outdone by ESPN's 11/noon college football coverage. It seems to always be a double-helping of the bottom barrel of the Big 10. It covers both ESPN and ESPN2 and is almost always too awful games. Would you like to watch Ohio St. vs Indiana or Minnesota vs. Northwestern. :\

Still, that first matchup is brutal. Cal vs Arizona would normally be a pretty interesting game

DY_nasty

NewLib said:
So you agree with me?
Not the same at all. Roy would have to leave and take his entire coaching staff with him. The last time you guys won it all was in 1998 right? The last time you were relevant was in 2005-ish in weak SEC?

Not the same at all. This is more like Duke's bad stretch, but we've got the freshmen and recruiting classes to get over it faster than them as well.

osmosis said:
Stay classy.

I was trying to be, hence there's no smiley :D but rather an intermediate face =/...unless that's a sad face =( in your book.

It's alright cuz I know Minnesota can compete in the BT tournament championship. Loss to Mich State by 1. Loss to Purdue by 1. Beat Wisconsin. Beat Ohio State. Beat Illinois. :D

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Not the same at all. Roy would have to leave and take his entire coaching staff with him. The last time you guys won it all was in 1998 right? The last time you were relevant was in 2005-ish in weak SEC?

Not the same at all. This is more like Duke's bad stretch, but we've got the freshmen and recruiting classes to get over it faster than them as well.

Uh that is completely what I said. I said if you are comparing UNC 2010 to Kentucky 2009 season, then yeah UNC had a worst year since they are going to finish worse and had higher expectations.

But if you compare UNC this year to Kentucky 2005-2009, then obviously Kentucky slide was a lot worse.

DY_nasty

NewLib said:
Uh that is completely what I said. I said if you are comparing UNC 2010 to Kentucky 2009 season, then yeah UNC had a worst year since they are going to finish worse and had higher expectations.

But if you compare UNC this year to Kentucky 2005-2009, then obviously Kentucky slide was a lot worse.
They're not similar in any other way that they're both basketball teams.

We just won a championship, had everyone leave, beat a couple of top 10 teams before our underclassmen remembered that they were underclassmen.

You just kicked out a coach for sucking, brought in a recruiter/coach (that was followed by the banner-eating ghost) and are now riding on the back of some freshmen that'll be gone the minute that the season is over.

Not the same at all.

Even if you were trying to say it was the same as the 2005-7ish drama, its still wildly off-base. One bad year =/= program slide.

ouch, Robbie Hummel gone for the year, http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4946559

He averaged 15.7 pts per game, 6.9 rebounds.

Still think Purdue is going to win the Big Ten, but as far as the tourney I would've predicted them being a final four team. Now I'd probably bump them back a round and say elite eight, but getting to Indy not completely out of the question. They could very well be the sparty of this year, getting to the big game in their home state.

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
They're not similar in any other way that they're both basketball teams.

We just won a championship, had everyone leave, beat a couple of top 10 teams before our underclassmen remembered that they were underclassmen.

You just kicked out a coach for sucking, brought in a recruiter/coach (that was followed by the banner-eating ghost) and are now riding on the back of some freshmen that'll be gone the minute that the season is over.

Not the same at all.

Even if you were trying to say it was the same as the 2005-7ish drama, its still wildly off-base. One bad year =/= program slide.

I dont have any idea what exactly you are arguing over. Really. I am stumped.

Edit: Also I find it hilarious you are making relying on Wall and Cousins a bad thing considering that is the exactly position UNC will be in next with Barnes/Bullock if Davis leaves. Not saying its a bad thing, but it is what it is.

DY_nasty

NewLib said:
I dont have any idea what exactly you are arguing over. Really. I am stumped.
I'm stumped too.

You're trying to compare Kentucky to UNC and there simply isn't anything there.

I was really talking about this...

kkaabboomm said:
oh, and UNC fans, us UK fans know EXACTLY how you feel, to watch your proud team crumble before your eyes. i will not mock, as i know you will be back.

UNC was never a punchline.
Okay, Matt Doherty was pretty bad but still

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
I'm stumped too.

You're trying to compare Kentucky to UNC and there simply isn't anything there.

I was really talking about this...

UNC was never a punchline.
Okay, Matt Doherty was pretty bad but still

I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU. I was saying that UNC is no where near what Kentucky was the last four years. Jesus Christ.

DY_nasty

NewLib said:
I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU. I was saying that UNC is no where near what Kentucky was the last four years. Jesus Christ.
wtf
NewLib said:

how is that agreeing?

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
wtf

how is that agreeing?

I was saying if you mean how UNC crumbled this year once this hit ACC play it was worse than Kentucky crumbled in the middle of the SEC last year.

Not comparing Kentucky 4 years, not comparing how good the teams were. Saying if you look how each team crumbled at the end of the year, UNC's was worse because they had higher expectation and they fell apart much earlier.

The next line is saying if you compare UNC this year to UK the last four years, then obviously it isnt close. UK went to irrelevant then to a punchline. UNC is at worst just a bad season and maybe a question to Roy Williams ability to handle a team with no true leader.

impirius

No sneaking up on UK tonight. The Gamecocks seem to be about out of gas at this point in the season, but we'll see what happens.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That sucks for Purdue and Hummell, they were going to be my surprise team in the tourney this year.

UNC's collapse this year is funny (or was funny, now its boring) but its a hiccup. As far as UK goes, they had a slide under Gillespie's tenure, no doubt, but they also hadn't sniffed a championship or a final four since 98. Somehow, Duke has "faded into irrelevance" because the last final four was in 2004, yet both UK and Uconn had similar or longer droughts and the media said nothing about them. UConn made the FF last year, but they're having to claw and fight their way to the tourney this year. UNC's collapse also has nothing on UCLA's. They have more talent, true, but the also haven't imploded as thoroughly as UCLA either. I think some people haven't been watching college BB for more than 5 years. This shit always goes in cycles, always.

DJ_Tet

Banned
ITT UNC fan lashes out irrationally

Funny, I was just comparing the UNC slide to the UK slide in my mind last night. UNC is playing so bad this year that they will have some 'stank' on them come next season. I was really impressed with Barnes as a kid (and assume he's badass on the court although I've never seen him play) but I'm not sure that he alone is going to be enough to turn around this group.

But yeah, obviously UNC will be back. And I think just about everyone on this board would 'suffer' through a .500 season if it meant hanging a banner.

UNC will definitely be back, but their fan turnout yesterday was pitiful. It was a anniversary game too with special jerseys.

Billy G brought the suck for 3 straight years and we still managed to fill Rupp. It just shows the dedication of the UK fans.

I'll give the UNC fans the benefit of the doubt and guess they were at the Bobcats game..... oh wait they were playing on the road.....:lol

Schlookum

Neo Member
Seth C said:
I'm not complaining, but Magic Johnson is at a Kentucky basketball game?

I can't imagine who Cal and Joker are going to bring in for UK's Junior Day against Florida. Michael Jackson's reanimated corpse, maybe?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Dresden said:
Can't believe UNM is ranked in the top ten. Most likely won't last and we'll get destroyed in March, but what a sweet ride it has been. Sure, next year Hobson will probably go and without him and Martinze it's down to, what, Dairese?

Oh well. Excited about March for the first time in college.

No way, we're going all the way!
Staying positive

I don't think Hobson is going to jump ship. He has to prove himself mentally after 36 different schools in the last 6 years or whatever. Ro is graduating and he'll be missed. However, let me introduce you to Alex Kirk, Tony Snell and Drew Gordon! I think the Lobos will actually be better next year. The record may be worse as next year's schedule is a mean one, but the team will be better and more talented. 7 Freshman and Sophomores...they're just going to improve.

EDIT:

Schlookum said:
Van Pelt just dropped a F-bomb on Sports Center while going to break. Tough week for the guy. And by the way, screw you Cocks.

Kornheiser needs some company in the sin bin.

Schlookum said:
Van Pelt just dropped a F-bomb on Sports Center while going to break. Tough week for the guy.

I don't think the Howard Stern prank hurt him too much. He is a fan, and there was a quote that it was all in good fun, although dropping an F-bomb does not bode well......

Cal beat up on Arizona tonight to stay on top of the Pac-101. Too bad Stanford coughed up a 2nd half lead against second place ASU. Cal plays ASU on Saturday.

Dresden

chuckddd said:
No way, we're going all the way!
Staying positive
Hell yeah!
thinkpostivethoughtsthinkpositivethoughtsthinkpositivethoughts

I do hope Alford is in for the long haul, though. I remember when he first got hired after McKay a lot of people (including me) were joking about million dollar failures. Goddamn. Now I'm worried about him being hired away to a better school.

revenge - it is nice to 1) defend the home court 2) vanquish ghosts of last season and 3) kick the ass of the only team in america to beat us thus far. good win UK.

i am scared about the UT game though on saturday. very quick turnaround.

DY_nasty

truly101 said:
That sucks for Purdue and Hummell, they were going to be my surprise team in the tourney this year.

UNC's collapse this year is funny (or was funny, now its boring) but its a hiccup. As far as UK goes, they had a slide under Gillespie's tenure, no doubt, but they also hadn't sniffed a championship or a final four since 98. Somehow, Duke has "faded into irrelevance" because the last final four was in 2004, yet both UK and Uconn had similar or longer droughts and the media said nothing about them. UConn made the FF last year, but they're having to claw and fight their way to the tourney this year. UNC's collapse also has nothing on UCLA's. They have more talent, true, but the also haven't imploded as thoroughly as UCLA either. I think some people haven't been watching college BB for more than 5 years. This shit always goes in cycles, always.
I think UNC sucking this year is more similar to Duke's last slip than anything else. One bad year =/= Kentucky, UCLA, or Arizona suckage.

Karakand

kkaabboomm said:
how about Coach Cal? took a team that was a 4 seed in the NIT to a basically-guaranteed #1 seed in the NCAA, recruited one of if not the best class ever seen, started 3 freshmen, managed to be the last team undefeated this season, all as a first year coach at UK, with a new offense, and players who had played for 2 different coaches the last 3 years?
a recent recipient of his second vacated final 4 is a great coty choice i agree

iamblades

DY_nasty said:
I think UNC sucking this year is more similar to Duke's last slip than anything else. One bad year =/= Kentucky, UCLA, or Arizona suckage.

Thing is, I consider having a terrible year with good enough talent worse than a few years of average to mediocre teams.

The last time Kentucky was .500 or worse was the 89-90 probation season. You have to go back to the 20s to find a record that can compete with UNC's 8-20 season from just a few years ago.

Not that I don't expect UNC to bounce back fast, but UK could have too if the right moves were made, as seen this year.

Competing over who has been worse latest is kind of silly, as it isn't really the goal to not be the worst, the goal is to be the best, and UNC is clearly winning there as of late, but hopefully the cats can change that this year.

osmosis

Neo Member
ErasureAcer said:
I was trying to be, hence there's no smiley :D but rather an intermediate face =/...unless that's a sad face =( in your book.

It's alright cuz I know Minnesota can compete in the BT tournament championship. Loss to Mich State by 1. Loss to Purdue by 1. Beat Wisconsin. Beat Ohio State. Beat Illinois. :D

Sorry. Misinterpretation of your intent and I was (and still am) devastated by Hummel's loss and the implications it has for the rest of our year. Really thought we had a good shot at the Final Four and if the stars aligned maybe more this year. Now, not so much. Still have a good team, but expecting the same results is unrealistic.

Good luck to the Gophers in the BT tourney. Sampson is a beast. You guys are certainly capable of beating all the teams you mentioned.

What is it with injuries in the Big 10 this year? Seems like every contender lost one of their better players at some point.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
DY_nasty said:

Duke's last "slip" was a 22-11 season and a 0.500 conference record with a first-round tournament exit.

UNC is 14-14 this year with a 3-10 conference record so far. UNC is not going to make the tournament.

Duke's team had 1 junior (DeMarcus Nelson), 3 sophomores (Paulus, McRoberts, McClure), and 4 freshmen (Zoubek, Lance Thomas, Henderson, Scheyer) as their primary players (the rest were walk-ons, essentially)

UNC has very solid seniors in Thompson and Ginyard and freshmen and sophmore classes that are at least as talented as Duke's were at the time (arguably more talented, but admittedly I'm more knowledgeable about Duke's roster than UNC's).

I think they're comparable in that they were/are small deviations that only lasted/will last a year, and that they came after a mass exodus of talent (even though JJ + company consistently choked in the tournament, the 2005-2006 team was still a title contender talent-wise), but that's it. This is a much worse fall for UNC than it was for Duke.

Agreed on your last sentence though.

jjasper

So our game plan is....tackling and airballs? Props for pearl for thinking outside the box.

Cal is playing something somewhat resembling a zone, holy shit he must have actually coached at some point this week.

Seth C

jjasper said:
So our game plan is....tackling and airballs? Probably for pearl for thinking outside the box.

Cal is playing something somewhat resembling a zone, holy shit he must have actually coached at some point this week.

Tackling works fine as a game plan if the refs will allow your boys to do it. And they were for the first 10 minutes or so. :)

NewLib

Banned
Just a poor poor shooting effort and poor defensive effort. Allowing every back cut get an easy pass and layup. Frustrating as hell but UT came to play. Kentucky did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom