• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Great, another PG for Texas going out on a stretcher.

That makes 3 this year.

Jai Lucas is the guy now I guess?

StoOgE

Not sure what was going on there.. probably a concussion by the looks of it, but they braced his neck and carried him out on a stretcher.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
SyNapSe said:
That kid is great! Like a lot of kids who play at B12 schools and get no national pub, he's special.

Yeah I can't imagine how much better we'd be if he had stayed. Even if his stats were down from what they are now his size alone would make us much better. But a 3rd player who could consistently give us 10-12 points behind Manny and Sims would make all the difference in the world. 10 boards and 4 blocks a game wouldn't hurt either.

Woohoo! Cal wins and clinches a share of the Pac-10 title! So happy for the seniors. Just one more regular season game left at Stanford. Would be awesome to win there and take the title outright.

DJ_Tet

Banned
sooperkool said:
I can't believe that CBS switched to the Carolina game....

I could, but I was furious nonetheless.

What a shitty decision. In Charlotte the #2 team in the country rallied to tie #19 on the road from 19 down with just over a minute left....

But we wouldn't want to miss the tipoff of Wake vs Carolina!

I couldn't even find the UK-Tenn game on any of their other stations. At least switch it to Ch 46 or 55 or whichever shitty TV station you bought.

Bowser

DJ_Tet said:
I could, but I was furious nonetheless.

What a shitty decision. In Charlotte the #2 team in the country rallied to tie #19 on the road from 19 down with just over a minute left....

But we wouldn't want to miss the tipoff of Wake vs Carolina!

I couldn't even find the UK-Tenn game on any of their other stations. At least switch it to Ch 46 or 55 or whichever shitty TV station you bought.

No one in NC gives a shit about Kentucky. You know damn well if it was Dook in the same position they would have done the same thing. Watch an online feed if you really wanted to see the outcome.

jjasper said:
Orange- 2
Blue- 0

Bet the farm on Syracuse.
I noticed this too. Glad Kansas lost today, takes some of the news/pressure off of uks loss.

Syracuse needs to lose and everything will be right today, as it may be.

Seth C

kkaabboomm said:
I noticed this too. Glad Kansas lost today, takes some of the news/pressure off of uks loss.

Syracuse needs to lose and everything will be right today, as it may be.

One of us lost to a ranked team. Which do you think will fall farther in the polls? :)

Owensboro

Man, congrats to the Volunteers. All in all, I'm glad we finally got another loss. I'm a big believer in not only learning from your mistakes, but having to make them yourself in order to learn anything at all. Perhaps the Cats can finally start to figure out the Zone, and our interior defense will freaking learn something.

Go Cats!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Darrington Hobson blocks a shot with 0.9 seconds left and UNM beats the dirty Mormons!

YES!!!

I'll post a jpg of the block when they come out. It was sick, bro!

devilhawk

Seth C said:
One of us lost to a ranked team. Which do you think will fall farther in the polls? :)
This is where UK fans get their bad reputation for knowing nothing about basketball. This is why they printed tshirts about being number one the same week they lost. Both teams lost at UTenn. Both teams lost one other game. Let us at look at it.

OSU is a better team than USC.

OSU will make the tourny.

KenPom: OSU 49 USC 84

RPI: OSU 32 USC 73

Seth C

devilhawk said:
This is where UK fans get their bad reputation for knowing nothing about basketball. This is why they printed tshirts about being number one the same week they lost. Both teams lost at UTenn. Both teams lost one other game. Let us at look at it.

OSU is a better team than USC.

OSU will make the tourny.

KenPom: OSU 49 USC 84

RPI: OSU 32 USC 73

And this is why Kansas fans are stupid, because we all know the polls don't work that way. :)

Besides, I didn't say anything about who was better. Nor did I suggest Kentucky should leapfrog Kansas. I merely suggested that Kentucky will fall further (more spots) than Kansas will. We were ranked back-to-back going in to the day, were we not? And you lost to a worse team TODAY, did you not? Okay then, shove off with your arrogance.

And Kentucky fans on average forgot more about basketball than Kansas fans ever knew. Kansas, meanwhile, is primarily known for choking in the big dance, baby.

Oh, and the moronic business that printed those shirts was ridiculed far and wide by Kentucky fans. But yes, one stupid business owner looking to cash is surely an indication of the lack of knowledge on the part of Kentucky's fans.

Oh, and if you want to challenge my knowledge of college basketball, please feel free. It is and has been by far my favorite sport for over two decades. I will humiliate you. Hell, I've probably watched more KANSAS basketball games in my lifetime than you have.

devilhawk

Seth C said:
And this is why Kansas fans are stupid, because we all know the polls don't work that way. :)

Besides, I didn't say anything about who was better. Nor did I suggest Kentucky should leapfrog Kansas. I merely suggested that Kentucky will fall further (more spots) than Kansas will. We were ranked back-to-back going in to the day, were we not? And you lost to a worse team TODAY, did you not? Okay then, shove off with your arrogance.

And Kentucky fans on average forgot more about basketball than Kansas fans ever knew. Kansas, meanwhile, is primarily known for choking in the big dance, baby.

Oh, and the moronic business that printed those shirts was ridiculed far and wide by Kentucky fans. But yes, one stupid business owner looking to cash is surely an indication of the lack of knowledge on the part of Kentucky's fans.
UK effectively didn't even have a program till a KU grad showed up over there.

Dresden

chuckddd said:
Darrington Hobson blocks a shot with 0.9 seconds left and UNM beats the dirty Mormons!

YES!!!

This team is fucking rolling. So excited. Crush TCU and just roll into March~

Seth C

devilhawk said:
UK effectively didn't even have a program till a KU grad showed up over there.

And he liked it here so much that he never went back to Kansas is buried with a magnificent monument about 2 miles from my home, right here in Lexington, Kentucky. Undoubtedly like anyone else who has been to Lawrence, he was just happy to get out of there. :D

devilhawk

Seth C said:
And he liked it here so much that he never went back to Kansas is buried with a magnificent monument about 2 miles from my home, right here in Lexington, Kentucky. Undoubtedly like anyone else who has been to Lawrence, he was just happy to get out of there. :D
The inventor of this beloved sport didn't feel that way.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bowser said:
No one in NC gives a shit about Kentucky. You know damn well if it was Dook in the same position they would have done the same thing. Watch an online feed if you really wanted to see the outcome.

No I don't 'damn well' know that. On ESPN they show the end of games, which is what CBS/Jefferson Pilot should be doing. They know the game never ends right on time, if they can't wait to finish a CLOSE GAME they shouldn't bother showing it in the first place.

WAXN or whomever has the SEC contract could have shown the UK game if WBTV was so worried about a tarheel conflict.

I love how I can sit there and watch a beautiful HD feed for two hours but if I 'want to see the outcome' a UNC fan is telling me to go watch an online feed.

edit: Again, it wouldn't be a big deal if the UK-Tenn game wasn't close, or if UNC was worth a shit. Just hold off for three more minutes, the world will continue to spin and the sky will continue being Carolina Blue.

Cyan

Banned
Cornballer said:
Woohoo! Cal wins and clinches a share of the Pac-10 title! So happy for the seniors. Just one more regular season game left at Stanford. Would be awesome to win there and take the title outright.
Go Bears!

Karakand

congratulations on your second below .500 season ben howland!!!!!!!! how are you going to celebrate? by telling a good player to transfer out because he's not alright with you running an old boys club? man i can't wait!!!!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DJ_Tet said:
No I don't 'damn well' know that. On ESPN they show the end of games, which is what CBS/Jefferson Pilot should be doing. They know the game never ends right on time, if they can't wait to finish a CLOSE GAME they shouldn't bother showing it in the first place.

WAXN or whomever has the SEC contract could have shown the UK game if WBTV was so worried about a tarheel conflict.

I love how I can sit there and watch a beautiful HD feed for two hours but if I 'want to see the outcome' a UNC fan is telling me to go watch an online feed.

edit: Again, it wouldn't be a big deal if the UK-Tenn game wasn't close, or if UNC was worth a shit. Just hold off for three more minutes, the world will continue to spin and the sky will continue being Carolina Blue.
ESPN and CBS gave Duke plenty of coverage when they sucked it up too. As long as the Tar Heels OR Blue Devils are in Carolina, they're going to get their coverage no matter how shitty their season is.

Aesius

jjasper said:
Pretty much. I am cool with it though and have come to accept it. Just how he coaches, it would be nice if he actually recruited a 3 point shooter at some point though.

PS: FYI Kentucky is going to win this game.

dude, are you sure you're a Vols fan?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Karakand said:
congratulations on your second below .500 season ben howland!!!!!!!! how are you going to celebrate? by telling a good player to transfer out because he's not alright with you running an old boys club? man i can't wait!!!!

Can we have him? Oh wait, we already do!

DJ_Tet

Banned
DY_nasty said:
ESPN and CBS gave Duke plenty of coverage when they sucked it up too. As long as the Tar Heels OR Blue Devils are in Carolina, they're going to get their coverage no matter how shitty their season is.

I'm not talking about the Heels being on TV, they will be and should be on TV until we're both long dead. I'm not talking about coverage, neither UNC or Duke (or UK) will ever be able to cry about not getting enough coverage.

I was just upset that I spent 2 hours watching #2 play #17 and have #2 losing the whole game. Literally when they made their tying shot with 90+ seconds left WBTV switched coverage to the UNC Wake game.

I understand it was likely a contractual issue with Raycom but I just think that WBTV has a responsibility to show the end of the game they had spent 2 hours showing. ESPN (I understand it's a national audience vs local) will stay with any shitty two teams fouling over switching to a tipoff. I've missed the first 7 minutes of a half twice in a Duke game this year on ESPN due to that situation, and it sure as hell wasn't #2 Kentucky they were showing.

WAXN usually shows SEC games in Charlotte, if WBTV couldn't commit to showing the #2 vs #17 game in its entirety they should have carried it on a sister station. Showing it and hoping that either it was a blowout or that it was one of the 10% of games that ends within 2 hours exactly was a shitty decision and I paid for it as a viewer.

The more that I think about it I think it likely was a RAYCOM contract cause and that it would have happened with Duke too. I wouldn't have even noticed had I not been watching the UK game, so I'm sure it happens more times than I pointed out.

It just sucked not being able to watch the end of an awesome game with two highly ranked teams, especially after having watched the whole game up until that point.

StoOgE

DJ_Tet said:
I'm not talking about the Heels being on TV, they will be and should be on TV until we're both long dead. I'm not talking about coverage, neither UNC or Duke (or UK) will ever be able to cry about not getting enough coverage.

I was just upset that I spent 2 hours watching #2 play #17 and have #2 losing the whole game. Literally when they made their tying shot with 90+ seconds left WBTV switched coverage to the UNC Wake game.

I understand it was likely a contractual issue with Raycom but I just think that WBTV has a responsibility to show the end of the game they had spent 2 hours showing. ESPN (I understand it's a national audience vs local) will stay with any shitty two teams fouling over switching to a tipoff. I've missed the first 7 minutes of a half twice in a Duke game this year on ESPN due to that situation, and it sure as hell wasn't #2 Kentucky they were showing.

WAXN usually shows SEC games in Charlotte, if WBTV couldn't commit to showing the #2 vs #17 game in its entirety they should have carried it on a sister station. Showing it and hoping that either it was a blowout or that it was one of the 10% of games that ends within 2 hours exactly was a shitty decision and I paid for it as a viewer.

The more that I think about it I think it likely was a RAYCOM contract cause and that it would have happened with Duke too. I wouldn't have even noticed had I not been watching the UK game, so I'm sure it happens more times than I pointed out.

It just sucked not being able to watch the end of an awesome game with two highly ranked teams, especially after having watched the whole game up until that point.

Yeah, I think you need to go bitch at your local affiliate and not bitch about the state of college football. If you are in NC they are going to switch to the local game no matter what because of the amount of bitching they would hear otherwise.

For instance, the horns preempt anything else in most of the state. Because the station would catch more shit for missing the first 5 minutes of that game than the last 5 of a game without a local team involved.

DJ_Tet

Banned
StoOgE said:
Yeah, I think you need to go bitch at your local affiliate and not bitch about the state of college football. If you are in NC they are going to switch to the local game no matter what because of the amount of bitching they would hear otherwise.

For instance, the horns preempt anything else in most of the state. Because the station would catch more shit for missing the first 5 minutes of that game than the last 5 of a game without a local team involved.

I agree in most instances but most instances don't involve two of the top 15 teams in the country and a huge upset coming down to the wire.

I just felt like extenuating circumstances warranted staying with the game they were showing (or at least providing an outlet to finish it.) Like I said earlier, they knew going into the game they had a two hour window. If the game was one of the 10% of games that ends in under two hours, or if it was a blowout, they were fine.

jakncoke

Banned
Karakand said:

that's is because you are not faithful. godland will answer to the only truly worthy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
chuckddd said:

YES!!!

No pic of the block. AP Photog fell asleep at the wheel. Kenny Crookston, I'm calling you out! Instead, enjoy this one!

29cnds1.jpg

NewLib

Banned
Polls out:

AP:

1. Syracuse (59) 27-2 1,618
2. Kansas (6) 27-2 1,550
3. Kentucky 27-2 1,493
4. Duke 25-4 1,415
5. Kansas State 24-4 1,377
6. Ohio State 23-7 1,232
7. Purdue 24-4 1,169
8. New Mexico 27-3 1,151
9. Villanova 23-5 1,143
10. West Virginia 22-6 1,024
11. Michigan State 22-7 960
12. Butler 26-4 762
13. Vanderbilt 22-6 741
14. Brigham Young 26-4 633
15. Wisconsin 21-7 625
16. Tennessee 21-7 615
17. Pittsburgh 22-7 612
18. Gonzaga 24-5 554
19. Georgetown 19-8 548
20. Temple 24-5 547
21. Baylor 22-6 393
22. Maryland 21-7 249
23. Texas A&M 20-8 210
24. UTEP 22-5 124
25. Xavier 21-7 101

Others Receiving Votes
Texas 94, Richmond 44, Northern Iowa 32, Oklahoma State 24, Marquette 21, Missouri 13, Illinois 10, Utah State 9, Virginia Tech 8, Mississippi State 7, UAB 6, Cornell 5, Louisville 4, Notre Dame 1, Old Dominion 1.
Dropped From Rankings
Texas 21, Richmond 23, Northern Iowa 25.

Coach's Poll

1. Syracuse (23) 27-2 766
2. Kansas (7) 27-2 741
3. Kentucky 27-2 698
4. Duke (1) 25-4 694
5. Kansas State 24-4 659
6. Purdue 24-4 585
7. Ohio State 23-7 559
8. West Virginia 22-6 526
9. Villanova 23-5 509
10. New Mexico 27-3 494
11. Butler 26-4 480
12. Michigan State 22-7 429
13. Tennessee 21-7 346
14. Gonzaga 24-5 341
15. Brigham Young 26-4 337
16. Temple 24-5 293
17. Wisconsin 21-7 258
18. Pittsburgh 22-7 255
19. Vanderbilt 22-6 246
20. Georgetown 19-8 240
21. UTEP 22-5 121
22. Baylor 22-6 104
23. Maryland 21-7 102
24. Texas A&M 20-8 92
25. Texas 22-7 43

Others Receiving Votes
Northern Iowa 40, Xavier 28, Utah State 24, Cornell 15, Clemson 10, Virginia Tech 9, Richmond 8, Saint Mary's 6, UNLV 6, Oklahoma State 6, California 2, Marquette 2, Murray State 1.
Dropped From Rankings
Northern Iowa 22, Richmond 24.

DY_nasty

I'm not used to seeing a top 25 without UNC, UCLA, and Arizona on it...

DY_nasty

DJ_Tet said:
Last week was the first time in 35 years that only one ACC team was ranked in the Top 25.
Parity in college basketball sucks.

At least until March Madness, then its awesome.

Well, a win over Illinois tonight would mean the Buckeyes are - at the very least - co-Big Ten champions.

Meaning that we'd be the Big Ten champions in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

And if Purdue chokes against Indiana or Penn State (which is highly unlikely, but not totally out of the question), we'd be the outright champs in all three.

Pretty damn sweet, if you ask me. :D

AntoneM

Cal, the undisputed #1 in the Pac 10 after this weekend, and not one singe vote (in the AP)... :lol :lol :lol :lol :cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom