• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
StoOgE said:
I'm quoting this for posterity.

tongiht :lol

this morning has been rough, i'll be honest. anyways, today's basketball is going well.

Pitt just knocked off Villanova, giving them their 4th loss of the season, and giving UK [and kansas] more of a cushion at the top. OSU beat Michigan State, but i worry about a team where 4 starters play 40 minutes and one guy plays off the bench - that doesnt bode well for a tourney run, even with a POY candidate (wall will win, but turner is a candidate) on the roster.

kkaabboomm said:
this morning has been rough, i'll be honest. anyways, today's basketball is going well.

Pitt just knocked off Villanova, giving them their 4th loss of the season, and giving UK [and kansas] more of a cushion at the top. OSU beat Michigan State, but i worry about a team where 4 starters play 40 minutes and one guy plays off the bench - that doesnt bode well for a tourney run, even with a POY candidate (wall will win, but turner is a candidate) on the roster.

yeah, OSU is a solid team and Turner is an amazing player, but they have absolutely no depth. I think this is the second game in a row where 4 starters played the whole game and dallas lauderdale was the only starter to come out.

Wow, that was an ugly game, but the Bucks came out with I win, so I'm pleased. I can't wait for the Big Ten Tournament. It's going to be crazy.

lakesideflight said:
yeah, OSU is a solid team and Turner is an amazing player, but they have absolutely no depth. I think this is the second game in a row where 4 starters played the whole game and dallas lauderdale was the only starter to come out.
Unfortunately, I agree. I think they'll get to the Sweet Sixteen, but the lack of depth will definitely become an issue the further they go. I really hope they prove me wrong, though.

BertramCooper said:
Unfortunately, I agree. I think they'll get to the Sweet Sixteen, but the lack of depth will definitely become an issue the further they go.

I agree. Matta's complete lack of faith in his bench or willingness to develop a bench will bite him in the ass come tourney time.

Bluecondor

Nice! There were questions about Pitt having quality wins a few weeks back, but WVU and Villanova are solid wins to add to their resume, and we now have 10 wins in the Big East.

Notre Dame on the road on Wednesday makes me nervous, as Harongody has always played well against Pitt and enjoys our physical style.

Karakand

Howland has lost all my trust

How the f*ck doesn’t he bench Ragovic for rest of the season? If Rago was actually trying hard and playing within himself, I would have had modicum of respect for Howland’s decision. He has done nothing and continues to skate just because he is apparently a senior.

Howland’s personnel management has been absolutely atrocious this season. Ultimately this is on him and some bullshit mea culpa at the end of the game about how he should have played Lane/Bobo more is not going to matter. He has lost all my trust after this game.

by Nestor on Feb 20, 2010 10:07 PM EST up reply actions 0 recs

11c6ute.jpg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
AP Top 25
1. Kansas (61) 26-1 1,621
2. Kentucky (4) 26-1 1,559
3. Purdue 23-3 1,470
4. Syracuse 25-2 1,455
5. Duke 23-4 1,323
6. Kansas State 22-4 1,302
7. Villanova 22-4 1,189
8. West Virginia 21-5 1,183
9. Ohio State 21-7 1,097
10. New Mexico 25-3 997
11. Georgetown 18-7 846
12. Pittsburgh 21-6 806
13. Brigham Young 25-3 795
14. Michigan State 21-7 794
15. Butler 25-4 673
16. Vanderbilt 20-6 599
17. Wisconsin 20-7 528
18. Gonzaga 22-5 506
19. Tennessee 20-6 480
20. Temple 22-5 452
21. Texas 21-6 445
22. Texas A&M 19-7 225
23. Richmond 22-6 202
24. Baylor 20-6 147
25. Northern Iowa 24-3 128

Top 10 for the first time in forever! And my hometown school right above my Alma mater. Yay! I see many similarities in the games of Evan Turner and Darrington Hobson.

Meier

It's sad but evne though UNC is terrible this year, I don't have the faith we'll win against them. :( If we lose, it's haha you suck, if we win, it's not even a marquee win since UNC is down. Lose-lose situation! Clemson should be a pretty game after that.. if we beat UNC, I think we're riding high and beat Clemson. Not so sure if we lose.

Just noticed that despite 6 teams with solid records that have 7-5 or better records in the ACC, Duke is the only ranked ACC team right now. Wow.

FrankT

kkaabboomm said:
safe cab service FTw. not sure how i;n gonna get my car timorrow, but whatever.

UK Beat VAndy tongiht. AT VANDY. syuck it commodores. suck it hardddddddddddd. 26-1.

Yea game was awesome. I got tickets to the Final Four this year and I'm really hoping to see them their. I'm not so sure they are going to make, but it's possible.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Meier said:
It's sad but evne though UNC is terrible this year, I don't have the faith we'll win against them. :( If we lose, it's haha you suck, if we win, it's not even a marquee win since UNC is down. Lose-lose situation! Clemson should be a pretty game after that.. if we beat UNC, I think we're riding high and beat Clemson. Not so sure if we lose.

Just noticed that despite 6 teams with solid records that have 7-5 or better records in the ACC, Duke is the only ranked ACC team right now. Wow.

I was trying to figure out why the ACC only has one ranked team, and besides the obvious UNC suckage, I decided to look at VaTech.

OOC, at home, they played the 343, 336, 311, 269, 262, 254 and 251st ranked rpi teams in the nation. On the road, 199, 190 and 179. Their schedule is worse than UF's OOC football schedule.

Jeff-DSA

I'm quite happy to see the Lobos crack the top ten. I really hope Steve Alford becomes the next Dave Bliss minus the bailing on the program for another school and hiding murders.

My uncle used to be present of the Lobo club and ever since I was a little kid I'd sit courtside at The Pit to see the Lobos play when we'd visit for Thanksgiving. When they'd get up here to play against BYU and Utah we'd get to sit right behind the Lobo bench. There's nothing quite like seeing a Lobo game in The Pit. Great venue full of very passionate fans.

Amory

As a huge UConn fan and recent alum, I'm really excited that they've managed to turn themselves around and beat Villanova and Rutgers, and they're leading West Virginia at the half.

What say y'all? They gonna pull off a tournament bid?

jjasper

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm quite happy to see the Lobos crack the top ten. I really hope Steve Alford becomes the next Dave Bliss minus the bailing on the program for another school and hiding murders.

You realize that he did that to get to New Mexico right?

Bowser

Kind of disheartening to see a team like UConn put it together and go on a late season surge while the Heels are bumbling around; yeah, we've had a shit ton of injuries this year, but man I can't believe this team beat OSU with Evan Turner, a healthy Michigan State team and nearly completed a comeback of the ages against arguably the best team in the nation, Kentucky, at Rupp. It seems like ever since that CofC loss, the team had a crisis of confidence that it just couldn't ever shake.

At least Henson's been a bright spot recently. If Ed returns, a frontcourt of a seasoned Henson, a (hopefully) healthy Zeller, and Davis coupled with some much needed guard depth with the incoming recruits should lead to a return to the, at the least, relevance in March.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bowser said:
Kind of disheartening to see a team like UConn put it together and go on a late season surge while the Heels are bumbling around; yeah, we've had a shit ton of injuries this year, but man I can't believe this team beat OSU with Evan Turner, a healthy Michigan State team and nearly completed a comeback of the ages against arguably the best team in the nation, Kentucky, at Rupp. It seems like ever since that CofC loss, the team had a crisis of confidence that it just couldn't ever shake.

At least Henson's been a bright spot recently. If Ed returns, a frontcourt of a seasoned Henson, a (hopefully) healthy Zeller, and Davis coupled with some much needed guard depth with the incoming recruits should lead to a return to the, at the least, relevance in March.
I think the Clemson game was the season-ending dagger. Any confidence that our guards had died in that game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
UMD should be ranked. Don't be surprised if they beat Duke by 10+ at Comcast in a few days. They're much improved over last year, they just can't win at CIS as of late. I don't know what to think about UNC at this point. I don't think they want to go to the NIT...I sort of can't blame them.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Jaime Dixon had better win Coach of the Year or the award has lost all meaning.

Pitt being picked to finish NINTH in the Big East, and we're sitting alone in 3rd right now. With the 'talent' we have. Insanity.

Outdoor Miner said:
What a nasty half, even by Big 10 standards. :lol

We should be up by 15 and this should be over. smh
This is horrifying.

Weber is the exact opposite of a master-motivator. He could make MJ disinterested in winning

Good god almighty

On behalf of the Big Ten, I'd like to apologize for that monstrosity.

Also wow is Michigan bad. We were playing like we had money on them and they just wouldn't win! Unless... maybe they had money on us? YOU WIN THIS TIME, WOLVES

jjasper

I like how this team pulls the same shit every road game. Play hard till the other team goes on a run and then close up shop.

devilhawk

jjasper said:
I like how this team pulls the same shit every road game. Play hard till the other team goes on a run and then close up shop.
Shockingly your luck with turn around, duck under, off one foot banked in threes by walk ons doesn't extend to road games.

GreekWolf

jakncoke said:
is it me or does this thread seem smaller compared to last year.
Karak and I haven't had all that much to contribute this year.

We'll both be back in rare form next season when our recruiting classes hit campus. Wait, Howland will probably be back too, right? Poor Karak :'(

and UNC pulls into a 10 point hole early against FSU with 7 minutes left in the first half! go get 'em Roy!

Pitt v. ND is also on, as is OSU v. Penn St (both close games at the half/early).

later tonight: texas is going for it's next loss, the lucky team being okst, tubby smith tries to get into the tourney against the boilermakers, and south florida tries to knock off a big east powerhouse, villanova.

Bowser

Random guy on my Twitter feed basically summed it up by saying: "If this was Inside the NBA on TNT, Charles and Kenny would have put Ol' Roy's head on a Gone Fishin' pic 5 games ago" -___-

Bowser

All of you will be eating crow when the Heels march through the ACC Tourna...fuck who I am kidding, we're gonna lose on the first day.

Karakand

GreekWolf said:
We'll both be back in rare form next season when our recruiting classes hit campus. Wait, Howland will probably be back too, right? Poor Karak :'(
it's not like howland will even play the freshman... old boy's club these days

jakncoke

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Karak and I haven't had all that much to contribute this year.

I haven't contributed much either, also iirc Spider Silva was like the top poster and probably the loudest and he's banned now. Probably why it seems so desolate in here this year

Meier

Really glad we didn't suffer a let down tonight. I think it was our first win in Chapel Hill in 10+ years...hey, I'll take it.

Bluecondor

Takeda Kenshi said:

Pitt being picked to finish NINTH in the Big East, and we're sitting alone in 3rd right now. With the 'talent' we have. Insanity.

Um - I love the guy as well, but let's not give Pitt any awards just yet.

We apparently enjoyed all the press clippings after the Villanova game a little too much.

We have three winnable games to end the season and ensure that we have a day off on the first day of the Big East Tournament. Time to get back to work....

Jamie will get them playing again though....

Sorry Michigan State, Ohio State fans....we lost by one to Purdue. At least we injured Hummel in the process. =/

Looks like we're going to have to win the Big Ten tournament to get an invitation. *cry*

Takeda Kenshi said:

how about Coach Cal? took a team that was a 4 seed in the NIT to a basically-guaranteed #1 seed in the NCAA, recruited one of if not the best class ever seen, started 3 freshmen, managed to be the last team undefeated this season, all as a first year coach at UK, with a new offense, and players who had played for 2 different coaches the last 3 years?

though i can see the argument for dixon.

oh, and UNC fans, us UK fans know EXACTLY how you feel, to watch your proud team crumble before your eyes. i will not mock, as i know you will be back.

purdue got your win, barely, but with an injury.

and lets hear it for LSU! first win the SEC, against arkansas! way to go LSU!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Takeda Kenshi said:

How about a team in a rebuilding year that lost it's best post to academics, picked 5th in the MWC, now ranked #10 in the nation? I'm taking Alford over Dixon. Boeheim is going to win it, however. And Coach Cal is only allowed to win the "Had a Pro Take the SATs of my Recruits of the Year" award.

And I looked at the box score for the UNC game. It says attendance was 15k+. I'm calling BS. It was around 5k. Way to count the fair weather season ticket holders.

Seth C

jakncoke said:
I haven't contributed much either, also iirc Spider Silva was like the top poster and probably the loudest and he's banned now. Probably why it seems so desolate in here this year

Ah, that's why this thread is so much more enjoyable now...I couldn't figure it out.

kkaabboomm said:
oh, and UNC fans, us UK fans know EXACTLY how you feel, to watch your proud team crumble before your eyes. i will not mock, as i know you will be back.

Well, we don't quite know how they feel. Even last season we never lost as much as they have.

and lets hear it for LSU! first win the SEC, against arkansas! way to go LSU!

I refuse to cheer. If it wasn't already gone, this loss just cost Pelphry his job at Arkansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom