• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outdoor Miner said:
Damn I'm nervous about today. We beat Wiscy and we're in, a loss and we're out. At least we control our own destiny.

It looks like you'll get two chances to beat them as you're slated to play them in the QFs of the BT tourney. I say beat them once out of those 2 games and you're in.

NewLib

Banned
Im pretty convinced that UK is going to be the first #1 seed out. They just cant seem to keep focus for 40 minutes. You keep waiting for them to put it all together, but they cant. I expect them to lose in the Sweet 16.

Seth C

NewLib said:
Im pretty convinced that UK is going to be the first #1 seed out. They just cant seem to keep focus for 40 minutes. You keep waiting for them to put it all together, but they cant. I expect them to lose in the Sweet 16.

Nope. The refs helped Florida get back in that game. The last 5 calls in the first half all went Florida's way, and most were questionable at best. Once they took the wind out of our sails we never played the same after, BUT that won't happen in the tournament. There are very few questionable calls in the big dance.

I fully expect that come tournament time, we see this team unleashed for the first time all year, finally away from the absolutely unbridled shit that has been SEC reffing all season, every game, for every team.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Seth C said:
Nope. The refs helped Florida get back in that game. The last 5 calls in the first half all went Florida's way, and most were questionable at best. Once they took the wind out of our sails we never played the same after, BUT that won't happen in the tournament. There are very few questionable calls in the big dance.

I fully expect that come tournament time, we see this team unleashed for the first time all year, finally away from the absolutely unbridled shit that has been SEC reffing all season, every game, for every team.
The same SEC refs that kept Kentucky in the game throughout most of the season? I'd be more worried for Kentucky...

NewLib

Banned
Seth C said:

There were questionable calls but refs dont make you lose an 18 point lead. And there are questionable calls all the team in the Big Dance. Its not like the Big East and Big 10 havent been plagued by the same shit this year and they use these same officials.

This team just gets taken out of games. I cant say for sure before the brackets come out, but if we have third round matchup against a Maryland or Baylor or Texas A&M, I dont see them winning.

home from rupp.

29-2.

what a fucking regular season.

undefeated at home, finally.

i'm ready for nashville. i've got my lower-arena tickets, and ill be there thursday-sunday. go cats!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
KevinRo said:
Being a student at Maryland, I can tell you this; no one planned to rush the court. We haven't beaten Duke since our freshmen year. Senior night was a very emotional night as it was our last home basketball game and we were just caught up in the moment. Please don't act like the Maryland student section is classless and horrible. Duke has far worse chants and acts of stupidity going on whenever we go there. Yelling 'CRACKBABY' at Juan Dixon and cursing at Vasquez in Spanish.

You might want to do some research first. Juan Dixon himself, when asked about the "crackbaby" chant verifed it happened at UVA, not Duke. And that "cursing" that the crazies game Greivis last year, that was them chanting "Our House" in Spanish after he commented that he "owned" Cameron. He also fessed up to getting owned after that game, which is why a lot of Duke fans respect Greivis, even if they don't like him.

I can't believe that selection sunday is just next week.

DY_Nasty said:
I'm forcing myself to watch at this point. I'm going to watch the whole thing so that when we're in the Final Four in a couple of years and all the bandwagoners show up, I can say "Where were you when Duke came in our faces?"

I can respect that. Also Henson is going to be a beast for you next year. Look at it this way, our team chemistry was ruined in 2007 by Josh McRoberts, he had checked out mentally 2nd half that year. We improved the instant he left. Your team has two (maybe three) McRoberts Cancers screwing things up. You'll be so much better when they're gone.

Seth C

DY_nasty said:
The same SEC refs that kept Kentucky in the game throughout most of the season? I'd be more worried for Kentucky...

Check the foul stats in the SEC and come back and have a chat with me. ;)

NewLib said:
There were questionable calls but refs dont make you lose an 18 point lead. And there are questionable calls all the team in the Big Dance. Its not like the Big East and Big 10 havent been plagued by the same shit this year and they use these same officials.

This team just gets taken out of games. I cant say for sure before the brackets come out, but if we have third round matchup against a Maryland or Baylor or Texas A&M, I dont see them winning.

Refs absolutely can take away an 18 point lead, if they choose to do so. Did they? No. They cut it from 18 to 8 though, and there was very little we could have done to change that. Once they cut it to 8, yes, we did the rest of the shit ourselves. And it was bad, and ugly, and on us.

Refs in the NCAA tournament are watched much more closely. All eyes are on them, they are more likely to be more careful, less likely to call a bad call, more likely to ignore questionable fouls. I think this team plays better given in that setup.

Most importantly, it just doesn't matter. A win is a win is a win. John Wall absolutely can take over a game and absolutely can score anytime he wants to, if he feels he needs to. I suspect in the NCAA Tournament, he will feel he needs to. Doesn't mean we will win it all, I suspect we won't, but I do think you will see a better, more consistent team than they have shown themselves to be the majority of the season (and that inconsistent team lost twice, just sayin').

UK fans get ready...things are apparently in motion to break a story on Cal violations with Wall and Cousins, apparently ESPN and the NYT are working on stories

GodfatherX said:
UK fans get ready...things are apparently in motion to break a story on Cal violations with Wall and Cousins, apparently ESPN and the NYT are working on stories

OMG R U SERIOUS??????? OH NO!!!!!

oh, wait, that's the LEO rumor of the day.
http://score.leoweekly.com/2010/03/08/wall-cousins-under-the-microscope/

and people with, you know, actual knowledge can't find truth about it.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=46745

i'm going to firmly chalk it up to baseless rumor until well, somebody has any sort of anything besides, well, the nothing already out there. and this isn't just crazy uk fan dismissing shit. read the LEO piece, read the KSR piece, and tell me which one seems remotely more true.

edit: and LEO's next blog post:
http://score.leoweekly.com/2010/03/08/oh-the-wrath-of-the-blogosphere-unleashed/
In a previous post, I merely offered that a couple sources advise that two national media outlets are pursuing a possible story about possible eligibility violations concerning two UK freshman players. Period.

I clearly stated I had no personal information whatsoever about the underlying issues, if any. Nor really about the investigations, other than what I was told. I said it all might be only idle gossip.

I mentioned the New York Times as one of the publications that I was told is working on this investigatory story. But I have since had several people direct me to today’s Times, in which there is a less than complimentary piece about Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez. Which is to say, there is a possibility that what my sources heard they may have confused with an investigation into Gonzalez.

Congrats to Evan Turner for being selected as Big Ten Player of the Year.

Super talented, super classy kid. While I'm almost positive he'll be jumping to the NBA, I'd love to see him come back for his senior season. I think we'll go far this year, but if he would end up staying, we'd definitely be in contention for a title next year.

bluemax

Banned
So Mississippi State is getting the NCAA beatdown for Renardo Sidney. Raise your hand if you didn't see that one coming.

Silkworm

Outdoor Miner said:
Fucking 'Zags.

-1 bubble spot
Look on the bright side. 'Zags loss removes a bubble spot, but UConn's loss returns one. So all is even so far. Of course I'm still hoping for a loss by Seton Hall and and USF to help loosen things up even more. Maybe tomorrow that'll happen (don't let me down Notre Dame and Georgetown!) :p

jjasper

bluemax said:
So Mississippi State is getting the NCAA beatdown for Renardo Sidney. Raise your hand if you didn't see that one coming.

Nothing is happening to Mississippi State, it is all on Sidney and his family. Unless you count Sidney not being able to play as a beatdown, in which case yeah everyone saw that coming which is why everyone backed out of recruiting him.

so many awards coming out. Wall won POTY from yahoo, but Turner has it from Forde (espn), Goodman (foxsports), and Parrish (cbssports).

Wall is consensus Freshman of the year.

Cousins and Wall are both First Team All-Americans everywhere you look.

and UConn lost. horribly. it's conference tourney week, and i'm pumped. anyone out there going to their conference tourneys? maybe GAFer's can say hey. I'll be in Nashville Thursday-Sunday for the SEC tournament.

NewLib

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
so many awards coming out. Wall won POTY from yahoo, but Turner has it from Forde (espn), Goodman (foxsports), and Parrish (cbssports).

and UConn lost. horribly. it's conference tourney week, and i'm pumped. anyone out there going to their conference tourneys? maybe GAFer's can say hey. I'll be in Nashville Thursday-Sunday for the SEC tournament.

Ill be in Nashville this weekend but not at the games. Will be watching at a local sports bar.

jjasper

Wish I could go to Nashville cause anytime the tournament is not in the fucking Georgia Dome I would like to go. I got to go last year to 1 game because we went on our honeymoon to Sanibel Island and I set it up so that we flew into Tampa a day early, but I am a poor student this year so no dice.

NewLib said:
Ill be in Nashville this weekend but not at the games. Will be watching at a local sports bar.
you should get scalper tickets, i'm sure after thursday's games many tickets will be available on the street

jjasper said:
Wish I could go to Nashville cause anytime the tournament is not in the fucking Georgia Dome I would like to go. I got to go last year to 1 game because we went on our honeymoon to Sanibel Island and I set it up so that we flew into Tampa a day early, but I am a poor student this year so no dice.
i love it when it's at the Dome. i went to GaTech for 5 years, so i'd just throw on a UK shirt, hop on MARTA, and get scalper tickets to the games. tampa was a horrible choice. nashville should be interesting.

Malleymal said:
Here at the big east tourney for a couple days... This is some bad basketball!
it'll get better in the next couple of days. lets hope syracuse and villanova lose!

jjasper

kkaabboomm said:
i love it when it's at the Dome. i went to GaTech for 5 years, so i'd just throw on a UK shirt, hop on MARTA, and get scalper tickets to the games. tampa was a horrible choice. nashville should be interesting.

I just think that it is a horrible place to watch basketball games.

Seth C

kkaabboomm said:

I wish, but being unemployed doesn't lend itself to purchasing tickets, sadly.

bluemax

Banned
jjasper said:
Nothing is happening to Mississippi State, it is all on Sidney and his family. Unless you count Sidney not being able to play as a beatdown, in which case yeah everyone saw that coming which is why everyone backed out of recruiting him.

Ah I thought Miss State was getting it too. Making him ineligible is lame, he'll just go pro.

Although I haven't heard shit about him this season.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Thought I'd post this for he Illini fans here.

Its a pic of their recruit Meyers Leonard from the local paper.

g12c0004d8ebc2f4b8afdc36360d0549b7a1c78262ad9e0.jpg

The article also has video of Meyers.

http://www.sj-r.com/carousel/x1918410616/Illinois-recruit-delivers-thrills-to-2-600-at-TRAC

Video of the Leonard dunk on the 'tube

I am more excited about Leonard than I am Richmond, which is saying a lot. He flies under the radar because of he doesn't play for a big school, but for folks that follow college bb and the Big 10 he will be a household name in 2 years. You can book it.

Watching vids of next years recruits is what I do to cheer up these days. :)

Woot post 1982...the year I was born.

Anyhow...that Marquette/St Johns game was quite entertaining. Would have liked to see St. Johns win but oh well.

Meier

Was happy to see Chris Singleton won ACC DPOY -- he deserved it. Toney Douglas got robbed last year, so I'm glad they rewarded the right guy in '10.

jjasper

So apparently the Ole Miss bus parked over a live land mine outside the stadium yesterday.......How does that happen in the middle of Nashville?

Ladies and Gentlemen, the fun begins today. Big East quarters, ACC Big 10 and 12 tourneys starting up, and much much more.

For Illinois I think its like this

Fri Loss - NIT
1 win - Last Four In
2 win - Solidly in as 8 or 9 seed

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Outdoor Miner said:
Video of the Leonard dunk on the 'tube

I am more excited about Leonard than I am Richmond, which is saying a lot. He flies under the radar because of he doesn't play for a big school, but for folks that follow college bb and the Big 10 he will be a household name in 2 years. You can book it.

Heh. I remember when they were saying the same thing about Joey Beard coming to Duke in the mid-90s. The guy flamed out, hard. Something about the clips you post really reminds me of that guy.

giga

Outdoor Miner said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, the fun begins today. Big East quarters, ACC Big 10 and 12 tourneys starting up, and much much more.

For Illinois I think its like this

Fri Loss - NIT
1 win - Last Four In
2 win - Solidly in as 8 or 9 seed
Pretty much this for GT too. Very disappointing season for Hewitt with all this talent.

pxleyes

Banned
jjasper said:
So apparently the Ole Miss bus parked over a live land mine outside the stadium yesterday.......How does that happen in the middle of Nashville?
what?! How does something like that happen without some big story popping up?

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Sunbelt champs baby. This is amazing to see my school do well. Front page of espn.com no :D less

aha! I knew you weren't a D1 tennis player. North Texas doesn't even have a mens tennis team. Why lie in a tennis thread man, this is the internet. what do you have to gain?

perfectchaos007 said:
aha! I knew you weren't a D1 tennis player. North Texas doesn't even have a mens tennis team. Why lie in a tennis thread man, this is the internet. what do you have to gain?
:D :D :D :D You got me. I was out to prove myself in the beginning, but in the end I made a name for myself .:lol

Rafa=FedKilla said:
:D :D :D :D You got me. I was out to prove myself in the beginning, but in the end I made a name for myself .:lol

Well I thought I had you cornered many times in the tennis thread, but you kept figuring out ways to keep your lie going. Infact I was half expecting you to reply with something like "Who ever said I was a male?" And then I would have had to gone back in the AO thread without post history available to dig up info of you saying that you were male. So thanks for saving me the trouble.

perfectchaos007 said:
Well I thought I had you cornered many times in the tennis thread, but you kept figuring out ways to keep your lie going. Infact I was half expecting you to reply with something like "Who ever said I was a male?" And then I would have had to gone back in the AO thread without post history available to dig up info of you saying that you were male. So thanks for saving me the trouble.

You won the game of wits. When my back is against the wall I just fight and claw like Rememebr the Titans.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Go UVA!!!!! We match up better with them than BC. I swear Al Skinner could coach a team of girl scouts against Duke and it would be a fight the entire 40 minutes.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
G'town has a chance to beat 'cuse. Wow. I can't figure the hoyas out. They destroyed us, and Nova, got destroyed by the Orange earlier this year and lost to South FL and Rutgers...wha? They could be the most dangerous team in the tourney when they get their shit together, like Texas.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Nerevar said:
Heh. I remember when they were saying the same thing about Joey Beard coming to Duke in the mid-90s. The guy flamed out, hard. Something about the clips you post really reminds me of that guy.

Mike Tisdale has had a pretty decent career at U of I so far and he's from the same sized school. Leonard will be coming in about 30lbs heavier than Tisdale did and much more athletic to boot.

Memphis down 9 at the half. I keep reading how they're out if they lose today, which I thought weird for a 23-8 team, so I check their schedule. Wow they have not beaten a single team of worth this season. The closest they came was a 2 pt loss to Kansas.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Brian Fellows said:
Mike Tisdale has had a pretty decent career at U of I so far and he's from the same sized school. Leonard will be coming in about 30lbs heavier than Tisdale did and much more athletic to boot.

Not saying the guy is destined to be a bust, just pointing out that predicting the performance of a small-town high school athlete at the major collegiate level is perhaps the most difficult thing to do in sports. There are lots of stories to go either way, I was just relating one I remember quite clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom