• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah UTEP is ranked in both polls. No way are they getting left out from a field of 64. I doubt a top 25 team has ever been eliminated from a tournament since it was a field of 64

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
jakncoke said:
OT to mens for a second, too bad that Nebraska women had to go and lose. undefeated UCONN and Nebraska in the NC would of been cool

All the pundits like to say that UConn winning 5000 games in a row is good for the sport. No it isn't. I'm not going to watch a minute of WCBB. (As opposed to the 10 minutes I would normally watch.)

If a men's teams was rolling like that, I'd still think that they could be beaten. It's happened plenty of times.

Oh wow, they switched off the Purdue/Minn game. Where does everyone think Purdue will be seeded? I say they get an 8.

dabig2

Jut arrived back from the Indy. Forgive me if I cant type as well, because after that bullshit I had to hit a bar. My godd, what the fuck was that 20-0 run and the end of reguation. Maybe I should be proud of how they persevered after that elementry style play with the 20-0 run but still what the fuck. Fuck Eva Turner too. Dude is the refs darling. How the hell did they not foul hm out in either ot

BUT hopefuly this was enough to get in the tourny. Maybe.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
dabig2 said:
Jut arrived back from the Indy. Forgive me if I cant type as well, because after that bullshit I had to hit a bar. My godd, what the fuck was that 20-0 run and the end of reguation. Maybe I should be proud of how they persevered after that elementry style play with the 20-0 run but still what the fuck. Fuck Eva Turner too. Dude is the refs darling. How the hell did they not foul hm out in either ot

ErasureAcer is way ahead on points right now. But the death blow has yet to be struck.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If TOSU wins tomorrow, they deserve the number one seed, for providing fans with two excellent basketball games. I think they're a bit better than us right now anyway.

Seth C

truly101 said:
This Kansas/K-State game is getting crazy

Kansas State is clearly not as good. they are playing really erratically to keep in this game.

But man, they just keep blowing whistles on soft fouls to send Kansas to the line and K State is at times getting absolutely hammered down low.

Seth C said:
Kansas State is clearly not as good. they are playing really erratically to keep in this game.
Ku is the better team but it sucks Pullen cant hit his shots. He is a 3rd team all american but only 2 of 11 so far

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Big XII refs protecting the number one seed right now. I kid, but theres been an awful lot of contact and K-State seems to be coming up on the short end of the stick.

That Cole Aldridge guy is like a mix between Hansbrough and Eric Montross. I think I hate him. No problem with Collins, Henry, Morris or the rest.

clav

Flizzzipper said:
Moore limps off the court. Purdue might as well sit Moore and Johnson for the rest of the game and their one and done tourney game. Because next year will the last chance they ever have in the history of their pathetic existence to ever reach the final four.
Karma is a bitch.

Purdue, this is what happens when you truck a bunch of nasty jabs and bustling at the Northwestern game yesterday and didn't get called for any of it.

Anyway, I hope Minnesota wins the Big 10 Tournament to improve Northwestern's chances to the NIT.

truly101 said:
Big XII refs protecting the number one seed right now. I kid, but theres been an awful lot of contact and K-State seems to be coming up on the short end of the stick.

That Cole Aldridge guy is like a mix between Hansbrough and Eric Montross. I think I hate him. No problem with Collins, Henry, Morris or the rest.

Based on your description, shouldn't he be in the "punch him in the face" category immediately? What's wrong with you?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hasphat6462 said:
Based on your description, shouldn't he be in the "punch him in the face" category immediately? What's wrong with you?
We don't play KU so I don't have a history to base that hatred on. I should note that I also respected Hansbrough and Montross as well. Montross was more or less Laettner's bitch when he was there. Duke was Beaker's bitch so I'm glad he's gone.

K-State is done

dabig2 said:

Don't get too worked up about OSU. They are an early exit waiting to happen. The second they have to play away from Hightower and the rest of the Big 10 refs that protect them they are screwed.

clav

Brian Fellows said:
You guys don't need any help to make the NIT.
Northwestern does.

The RBI sucks compared to the competition. There are so many contenders for a NCAA bid that they will become an instant NIT bid if they don't make it.

I suppose the only reason why the NIT would choose Northwestern now if Minnesota does win the Big 10 conference is that it needs a team from the Big 10 to represent.

However, with Illinois losing to OSU today, I don't know if Illinois has enough to make it to the NCAA despite taking OSU to double OT today.

CBI is not out of the question yet.

Minnesota vs Top 4 and Illinois

1-1 Ohio State
1-2 Purdue(Lost by 1 point @ home)
1-2 Michigan State(Lost by 1 point @ home)
1-0 Wisconsin
1-0 Illinois
----
5-5

Illinois vs. Top 4 and Minnesota

0-3 Ohio State
0-2 Purdue
1-1 Michigan State(without Lucas)
2-1 Wisconsin
0-1 Minnesota
----
3-8

That's the difference. Even if we lose to Ohio State tomorrow we'd be 5-6 and still be up 2 whole games over Illinois in these stats but more like 3 games since we hold the tie-breaker.

jakncoke

Banned
claviertekky said:
Northwestern does.

The RBI sucks compared to the competition. There are so many contenders for a NCAA bid that they will become an instant NIT bid if they don't make it.

I suppose the only reason why the NIT would choose Northwestern now if Minnesota does win the Big 10 conference is that it needs a team from the Big 10 to represent.

However, with Illinois losing to OSU today, I don't know if Illinois has enough to make it to the NCAA despite taking OSU to double OT today.

NW is a lock for NIT, what other 32 teams you think they're going to take?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
claviertekky said:
Northwestern does.

A 20 win school from the big 6 will never get left out of the NIT. They don't give a shit about RPI. They'd take a 15-15 Big Ten school over 25 win mid-major any day of the week. You are a LOCK.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Lunardi has Minnesota in and Illinois out.

perfectchaos007 said:
So this puts Cal on the bubble. But I think they will still get in just to get 2 Pac-10 teams in the tourny.

Cal has a better resume than UTEP. That's not saying much, but it's true.

clav

jakncoke said:
NW is a lock for NIT, what other 32 teams you think they're going to take?
Texas Tech, UNC just to name a few.

Brian Fellows said:
A 20 win school from the big 6 will never get left out of the NIT. They don't give a shit about RPI. They'd take a 15-15 Big Ten school over 25 win mid-major any day of the week. You are a LOCK.

I hope so although I'd rather take a home game at the CBI rather than an away game in the NIT.

dabig2 said:

Turner did foul out.

Seth C

truly101 said:

I'm okay with Aldridge, but Bobby Knight would be well served to stop suckling on his balls.

ErasureAcer said:
Minnesota vs Top 4 and Illinois

1-1 Ohio State
1-2 Purdue(Lost by 1 point @ home)(without Hummel)
1-2 Michigan State(Lost by 1 point @ home)
1-0 Wisconsin
1-0 Illinois
----
5-5

Illinois vs. Top 4 and Minnesota

0-3 Ohio State
0-2 Purdue
1-1 Michigan State(without Lucas)
2-1 Wisconsin
0-1 Minnesota
----
3-8

That's the difference. Even if we lose to Ohio State tomorrow we'd be 5-6 and still be up 2 whole games over Illinois in these stats but more like 3 games since we hold the tie-breaker.

Yeah but you fail to note the not so stellar record against the bottom of the B10. You have 2 losses to Michigan, one to Northwestern, and one to Indiana.

The streets randomly erupt in C-A-T-S cats cats cats chants. The bars do too. There are a million of us down here on Broadway. John wall shots, blue jello shots, and buckets and buckets of ice cold beer.

I love the SEC tournament, and Nashville, you and the big blue nation should get together like this more often.

UK is going to win tomorrow. After the way we played today (see the final 8 minutes) holy hell.

Time to find a new bar to watch this gtown-wvu game. What are the odds we leapfrog Kansas and grab that top overall seed? Slim, but damn we looked sharp.

Outdoor Miner said:
You have 2 losses to Michigan, one to Northwestern, and one to Indiana.

I'm well aware of who we've lost to. Michigan just owns us. The other two were in OT on the road. I still think the big wins in conference are what matter.

We also beat Butler and Morgan State(haha) two tournament teams and lost by a measly point to A&M. I think someone missed their free throws that would have given us the win in that one.

Minnesota is playing like the team they were destined to be ever since Wisconsin. Tubby learned we have a high/low game when he puts in both big guys...something he didn't do early in the season. That high/low was on show today if you watched the Purdue game. It works amazingly.

Anyhow, Lunardi has us in and you out. It won't matter anyhow. Minnesota is gonna win tomorrow. This is the Minnesota team that should have been around all year and I think it is a definite Sweet 16 contender.

edit-Oh yeah. Michigan and Northwestern are hardly the bottom of the Big 10(Penn State, Iowa, Indiana).

Seth C

kkaabboomm said:
Time to find a new bar to watch this gtown-wvu game. What are the odds we leapfrog Kansas and grab that top overall seed? Slim, but damn we looked sharp.

That is up to a group of men and women who rarely make decisions that normal humans can rationally explain, but I still say chances are less than slim...they are nonexistent.

ErasureAcer said:
Anyhow, Lunardi has us in and you out. It won't matter anyhow. Minnesota is gonna win tomorrow. This is the Minnesota team that should have been around all year and I think it is a definite Sweet 16 contender.

So innocent. So unspoiled. Prepare yourself for disappointment, friend.

Talon

Man, I love this West Virginia team. And gotta love "Country Roads."

I wasn't impressed the few times I saw Georgetown during the regular season, but they looked great during the Big East tournament.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's certainly been fun. Hopefully next week will be more of the same.

So, two bubble bombers are left. First up, New Mexico State, the hated school down south, may rip a bid by knocking off Utah St in the WAC final. Tomorrow, Minnesota gets a chance at Evan Turner and the 5 other tOSU guys. Good luck bubble teams!

Seth C

Sometimes this week before the big tournament is just more fun. There are tons of game being played, from Tuesday through Sunday.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So I was actually thinking about staying in and watching this WAC final, then ESPN shows:

b5scw4.jpg

...and I'm out.

Talon

By the way, this Illinois team does not deserve to be in the tournament. It's astounding that they were in contention for the Big Ten with the human turnstile named Tisdale playing down low.

Texas, Texas A&M, North Texas, Sam Houston St, Baylor, UH, UTEP. That's 7 teams from the state of Texas going to the NCAA mens basketball tournament. It would have been 8 but TSU couldn't hit anything in their final vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff.

edit: looks like New Mexico St. just popped another teams bubble.

Yamauchi

Banned
The problem with Cole Aldrich is that he's as dumb as a brick, and because of this he makes some really stupid plays. He also gets trapped easily.

perfectchaos007 said:
looks like New Mexico St. just popped another teams bubble.

Yeah looks like Utah State has a good enough resume.

From CBS...

Pros
An RPI in the 30s. A 10-4 record vs. the RPI top 100. A 10-5 mark in road/neutral games. Wins of note: vs. BYU, vs. Wichita State. Added...2-1 vs top 50. 5-3 vs top 75.

Cons
A weak SOS. 16 wins vs. teams outside the RPI top 100, 10 outside the top 200, four outside 300. Objectionable losses: at Utah, at Long Beach St.

Anyhow, I'm gonna love it win Minnesota wins tomorrow. I don't think Lauderdale/Madsen can hang with Sampson/Iverson. And Damian Johnson is gonna have 5 blocks on Turner...ain't no easy shit in the lane fool. Diebler is gonna be the key. Minnesota's 3-point defense is horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom