• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth C said:
UTEP is ranked in both polls. I really doubt they are going to miss the tournament for losing in their championship game.

Poll rankings are meaningless. UTEP hasn't beat a top 50 team this year, they are most likely getting left out.

Ugh. No complaints here, we had 2 chances to win it and blew it. Best hope is that some Committee members watched this game. If Minny wins its time to sweat.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
GT is in regardless so I hope NC State wins this game. That way, when we crap the bed against State, we burst someones bubble in the process. More reasons to hate Duke!
Besides, if NC State makes the tourney and UNC doesn't, the wailing and gnashing of teeth in my neck of the woods will be delicious.

DJ_Tet

Banned
SyNapSe said:
I really hope Kansas gets to face Kentucky. Isn't that the whole point of the season? It looks like it'd be an exciting matchup. It's unlikely it happens given that teams need to win 4-5 games in a row against touch comp. to make the finals. In an odd way college football almost delivered a better championship experience this season w/ mini-playoffs happening in each conf. championship.

Well, one year out of 50 is a start.

Anyway, I wouldn't write off UK playing KU at some point in the tournament. There is clearly those two teams and a couple of Big East teams and everyone else.

Not sure who is going to beat UK or KU.

DJ_Tet

Banned
truly101 said:
GT is in regardless so I hope NC State wins this game. That way, when we crap the bed against State, we burst someones bubble in the process. More reasons to hate Duke!
Besides, if NC State makes the tourney and UNC doesn't, the wailing and gnashing of teeth in my neck of the woods will be delicious.

You are like the most pessimistic Duke fan ever. Simmer down. We're better than we we've been in five years yet you're acting like someone ran over your dog.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
Well, one year out of 50 is a start.

Anyway, I wouldn't write off UK playing KU at some point in the tournament. There is clearly those two teams and a couple of Big East teams and everyone else.

Not sure who is going to beat UK or KU.

UK, KU and 'cuse are easily better than anyone else, but are just as vulnerable to night of early dismissal due to poor shooting, etc. There is no team that can flick the switch and steamroll everyone like UNC last year. That being said KU is my pick to win, TOSU is my sleeper team.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
You are like the most pessimistic Duke fan ever. Simmer down. We're better than we we've been in five years yet you're acting like someone ran over your dog.

I'd like to think I'm realistic. We've seen this story since 2006, deep down you know how it will end. If we get to the elite eight, and I think we capable of elite eight if we play at a high level, I will be ecstatic, My issue with the team is its lack of intensity and purpose, its exposed us against Wiscy Gtown and NCState. We played at a pretty high level at Maryland and lost, I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with subpar play and losing to an inferior team that at least had more heart than we did. If Duke goes down, I want them to go down fighting, not moping.

Seth C

bigtroyjon said:
Poll rankings are meaningless. UTEP hasn't beat a top 50 team this year, they are most likely getting left out.

If you think they are meaningless you are wrong. They are an indication of opinion of a group, and that opinion is UTEP was a Top 25 team. It is likely the selection committee will agree. Come on man, Lunardi had them at an 8 seed. I doubt they drop out at this point, honestly. Top 50 wins or no. We'll see.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
DJ_Tet said:

No, he's right. I went to the Duke / Villanova game last year, and I really don't see this season ending much differently.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Damn, SDSU jumped all the way to RPI #23. I like the RPI as an unbiased adjudicator, but jumping 14 spots for getting one win on March 12th is weird. It's ok, though, it makes UNM's loss look better.

As far as UTEP goes, life is hard as a mid-major. No one wants to be on your schedule. And when the teams you do schedule shit the bed (Memphis, Oklahoma, Texas Tech), life becomes a bubble teetering affair. I hope they're in the tourney, but I wouldn't sleep well. The tourney committee can be fickle and irregular.

I wouldn't sleep to well tonight if I were you, Outdoor Miner, either. But maybe your dog's luxurious hair will give you some consolation.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Nerevar said:
No, he's right. I went to the Duke / Villanova game last year, and I really don't see this season ending much differently.

That's fine but we aren't talking about that tournament right now. We're talking about 'crapping the bed against State' and being pessimistic and wishing for the season to end.

Seth C said:
If you think they are meaningless you are wrong. They are an indication of opinion of a group, and that opinion is UTEP was a Top 25 team. It is likely the selection committee will agree. Come on man, Lunardi had them at an 8 seed. I doubt they drop out at this point, honestly. Top 50 wins or no. We'll see.

If that was the case then the seedings would mirror the rankings which they never do and UTEP wouldn't be the first team in the last 5 years to be top 25 in both polls and get left out.

Seth C

bigtroyjon said:
If that was the case then the seedings would mirror the rankings which they never do and UTEP wouldn't be the first team in the last 5 years to be top 25 in both polls and get left out.

Like you said...in 5 years now Top 25 team has been left out. Do they mirror EXACTLY? Of course not. But UTEP was #21 in one poll. I just don't think they punish them for this one loss. Their RPI is better than Florida St., Notre Dame, Cornell, Marquette, Florida...and very close to teams like Louisville and even Michigan State.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
That's fine but we aren't talking about that tournament right now. We're talking about 'crapping the bed against State' and being pessimistic and wishing for the season to end.

Our season doesn't end tomorrow and I never said I wished for the season to end. What I do think is we're due for a really crummy game the way we've played against the canes and UVA. I'd much rather crap the bed against NC State and have them make the dance and ruin someone's bubble chances. I did say the way Duke is playing they will be home by the end pf the first weekend, and thats the damn truth. If they come out timid and tepid like they did 1st half of this game and pretty much all of yesterday, they will lose the 2nd round. They need to play with fire and anger and when they get 12 point leads, like twice today, they need to finish them, not let them back in. When you have a team against the rope, make them bite the curb and finish them

DJ_Tet

Banned
truly101 said:
I want to go ahead and lose the first weekend of the dance and get this season over with. The sooner this year ends, the sooner Irving suits up at PG. And thats not soon enough. Fucking heartless clowns.

Just sayin'.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
Just sayin'.

Funny that was the first game with Miami this year, and they did play gutless that first half. Maybe the 'canes bring out the worst in me.

Still, if this team is going to go down, I want them to do it fighting, with attitude. Thats been something that Duke has had trouble being consistent with this year. Of course, when they come out swinging like against UNC or Maryland, they normally, though not always win.

DJ_Tet

Banned
truly101 said:
Funny that was the first game with Miami this year, and they did play gutless that first half. Maybe the 'canes bring out the worst in me.

Still, if this team is going to go down, I want them to do it fighting, with attitude. Thats been something that Duke has had trouble being consistent with this year. Of course, when they come out swinging like against UNC or Maryland, they normally, though not always win.

I didn't even watch the second half of that game I was so upset. One thing is for sure, Miami does NOT look like the #12 team in the ACC against Duke.

Said this on another board but it bears repeating, #3-#12 in the ACC is as close as it's ever been.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
I didn't even watch the second half of that game I was so upset.

They got their shit together and played with a purpose and were able to hold off the canes at the end (I think it was similar to this).

Okay, so Miami comes out, clowns Duke the first half. We show up second half and give them a good beating for about 12 minutes. Then comes stall ball and we let Miami back within striking distance. It KILLLLLLLLLS me to seem them give up a 16 pt lead in the second half when they should have finished them if they ran a normal offense.

Miami is going to be pretty good next year. I think they return just about everyone on this team. Frank Haith is a good coach and has another 20 win season. Imagine what he could do with Paul Hewitts pro laden teams

Proelite

If Purdue had gotten the #1 seed, they might have been the first #1 seed to lose against the 16th. :lol Then again, we might be the first.

KB24

ErasureAcer said:
So are the Gophers in the dance or do we have to win by 50? :lol

I think they're in. They've had some bad losses, but they have also had good wins. Wins over Wisconsin, MSU and this game put them in.

Moore limps off the court. Purdue might as well sit Moore and Johnson for the rest of the game and their one and done tourney game. Because next year will the last chance they ever have in the history of their pathetic existence to ever reach the final four.

jakncoke

Banned
OT to mens for a second, too bad that Nebraska women had to go and lose. undefeated UCONN and Nebraska in the NC would of been cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom