• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
whytemyke said:
same ol' college basketball, kentuckys getting away with murder out there. I dont know how you can drag Varnado down and not get called for a foul.

same ol' NCAA... protect the big money teams.

all miss state had to do was make some free throws

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Cloudy said:
All they had to do was make their fts. If they lose, they have no one to blame but themselves...
I'm sure theyd like to have been held to the same rules that Kentucky was. For instance, Wall pushing that kid out of bounds by the hips on the inbound pass to even put them down by 1 near the end of regulation. I used the ol' Tivo on it to make sure I saw it.

Everyones gotta protect that 1 seed for kentucky.

Cloudy

Banned
John Wall is pretty overrated IMO. There is no way he should be the #1 pick. He's good but will not be a game-changer on the NBA level..

SyNapSe

wtf at Rick Stansbury being way out on the court during action on both the D and O side of 2 possessions. I guess they forgot about enforcing the box, let alone keeping coaches off the court in a live game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cloudy said:
John Wall is pretty overrated IMO. There is no way he should be the #1 pick. He's good but will not be a game-changer on the NBA level..

i agree. he'll develop in the nba i'm sure, but he'd be about five times as good if he played a few more years of college ball.

i'm certainly biased, however, since i could give a shit about the nba but love college basketball.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Cloudy said:
Agreed. I don't think he's a Derrick Rose, for example. Maybe a Rajon Rondo (which is still a helluva guard)

SyNapSe said:
wtf at Rick Stansbury being way out on the court during action on both the D and O side of 2 possessions. I guess they forgot about enforcing the box, let alone keeping coaches off the court in a live game.

:lol I think if you watch the game you'll see there are numerous instances where the refs completely decided not to enforce the rules, for both Kentucky and Miss St.

at least Cals is trying to push for Miss St to get into the tournament.

Seth C

whytemyke said:
I'm sure theyd like to have been held to the same rules that Kentucky was. For instance, Wall pushing that kid out of bounds by the hips on the inbound pass to even put them down by 1 near the end of regulation. I used the ol' Tivo on it to make sure I saw it.

Everyones gotta protect that 1 seed for kentucky.

Varnardo got away with plenty this game. Hell, he always does. The refs let both sides play this game, on the whole.

MSU played one hell of a game. They deserved to win today.

SyNapSe

whytemyke said:
Agreed. I don't think he's a Derrick Rose, for example. Maybe a Rajon Rondo (which is still a helluva guard)

He compares very favorably with Rondo, I think. Really fast with the ball in his hands. Needs to work on his shot.

What the fuck kind of strategy does Calipari have to place Cousins...an abysmal FT shooter on the court up 3 with 6 seconds left. That's a sure way to lose in the NCAAs.

Seth C

ErasureAcer said:
What the fuck kind of strategy does Calipari have to place Cousins...an abysmal FT shooter on the court up 3 with 6 seconds left. That's a sure way to lose in the NCAAs.

He is helping build confidence for his players in a game that realistically, DOESN'T matter. If you want to see the expert at how to lose in the NCAAs, just watch your game that is about to start. No one does it better. Trust us, Kentucky fans know.

Smokey

I agree that Wall is overrated IMO, and to me should not be the #1 pick. Top 5 yeah, but #1? I don't really think so. He's good but at the NBA level everybody at that position is quick and he doesn't have the length/strength of a Derrick Rose or Tyreke Evans.

Seth C

PotatoeMasher said:
Cousins shoots our technical free throws most of the time, too. It's just a thing. :lol

Yeah, and having lost as few games as ANYONE IN THE NCAA, it's funny hearing Minnesota fans school us on how to win games.

charsace

Wall moves like Rondo does, but he scores like Wade. He isn't the athlete Rose is like people have been saying. He plays wild too and looks like more of a combo than he does a pg. I could see Cousins or Turner going first in the draft a head of Wall. Wall should go first though because he has the makings of a star wing.

Wall is better than Evans right now. He's one of the fastest players with ball in the entire world.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BertramCooper said:
Blech.

I have absolutely nothing against Kentucky as a program, but John Calipari makes my skin crawl.

i've heard lots of fishy talk about him, but he's crawled us to a two loss season from several years of altogether boring basketball (regardless of how many games we won or lost), so i am somewhat into the man.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
beelzebozo said:
i really hope MSU gets in the tourney.

I said it earlier about Minnesota, but it's probably too late to have the committee completely redo the brackets to put MSU in just because they played Kentucky close.

SyNapSe said:
He compares very favorably with Rondo, I think. Really fast with the ball in his hands. Needs to work on his shot.

Rondo is great for being a late first rounder. If you're picking first or second, you want a super stud. I agree that Wall should stay in school and work on his game, but I'm guessing he's going to drop all of his classes in about 3 weeks. Heck, I'd be shocked if he's even goes to a class again.

charsace said:
Wall moves like Rondo does, but he scores like Wade. He isn't the athlete Rose is like people have been saying. He plays wild too and looks like more of a combo than he does a pg. I could see Cousins or Turner going first in the draft a head of Wall. Wall should go first though because he has the makings of a star wing.

Wall is better than Evans right now. He's one of the fastest players with ball in the entire world.

Cousins has bust written all over him. He plays below the rim a lot and has the temperment of a young Zach Randolph. Turner may go ahead of Wall for a few teams, but 90% of teams would take Wall number 1.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
whytemyke said:
What time are they suppose to set the brackets tonight? Six eastern?

Yup. I'll be at a show. Do you think it's ok to check my phone for the brackets?

I got the tickets in November, when UNM was picked to finish fifth in the MWC, don't freak out on me!

Smokey

charsace said:

He scores like Wade?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

uhh Wade is doing against the best ball players in the road night in and night out are you being serious here?

Wall would be better served to stay 1 more season, but it ain't happening. He needs to cut down on turnovers and work on his shot and he'll be in much better shape. But that $$$ ain't no joke, so I'd probably chunk deuce too if I were him.

Seth C

ErasureAcer said:
Man I hope we win today and get an 8/9 seed and then school your ass.

You'd actually have to trust Tubby Smith two win two games in the NCAA Tournament for that to happen. I actually wish you and Tubby much success. I would love to see you in the Final Four, even. Just trying to temper your excitement, not out of hate, but because I have been there. Kentucky fans have been there, year after year, experiencing the expectations followed my heartbreak.

chuckddd said:
I said it earlier about Minnesota, but it's probably too late to have the committee completely redo the brackets to put MSU in just because they played Kentucky close.

Rondo is great for being a late first rounder. If you're picking first or second, you want a super stud. I agree that Wall should stay in school and work on his game, but I'm guessing he's going to drop all of his classes in about 3 weeks. Heck, I'd be shocked if he's even goes to a class again.

You know, if Wall was just a little bit patient and in my opinion... smart. e'd come back to school for at least one more year and work on his game and turn himself into The Second Coming, a #1 unanimous pick and make even more money.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I like Cal alot... he is my father's friend and has always been a real person... people hate the way he carries himself, but he is like that regardless of the situation.

charsace

Smokey said:
He scores like Wade?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

uhh Wade is doing against the best ball players in the road night in and night out are you being serious here?
He does. He moves around the court like Rondo, but when he goes to the basket he has strength and amazing body control combined with the speed he generates along the way.

Ninja Scooter said:
Cousins has bust written all over him. He plays below the rim a lot and has the temperment of a young Zach Randolph. Turner may go ahead of Wall for a few teams, but 90% of teams would take Wall number 1.
Cousins is nearly 7 feet with an NBA body and long arms. He doesn't have to play above the rim. He has NBA size with a ridiculously high skill level. His passing and face up game are beyond a lot of bigs that are in the league right now.

sooperkool said:
You know, if Wall was just a little bit patient and in my opinion... smart. e'd come back to school for at least one more year and work on his game and turn himself into The Second Coming, a #1 unanimous pick and make even more money.

or he could come out now, collect a nice size paycheck from the NBA (and an even bigger one from Nike or Adidas) instead of waiting on next year when there could be a lockout or a smaller salary cap for rookies. You guys act like the dude is a project, like Tyrus Thomas or something. The guy is easily just as NBA ready now as Steph Curry or Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings were last year. Get your millions now, and improve your game at the next level learning from NBA coaches and playing against NBA players.

Cousins is nearly 7 feet with an NBA body and long arms. He doesn't have to play above the rim. He has NBA size with a ridiculously high skill level. His passing and face up game are beyond a lot of bigs that are in the league right now.

When I said "below the rim" he just doesn't strike me as being very athletic. I guess "Bust" was the wrong word, but I just see him as one of those guys who will be productive but not a go-to player. Like Zach Randolph in his early years.

Seth C

charsace said:

And he is an 18 year-old freshman in college. He has a pro body and good skills and the good big men in the NBA are aging. He will have every opportunity to succeed in the league.

Ninja Scooter said:
or he could come out now, collect a nice size paycheck from the NBA (and an even bigger one from Nike or Adidas) instead of waiting on next year when there could be a lockout or a smaller salary cap for rookies. You guys act like the dude is a project, like Tyrus Thomas or something. The guy is easily just as NBA ready now as Steph Curry or Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings were last year. Get your millions now, and improve your game at the next level learning from NBA coaches and playing against NBA players.

And with some solid shooters around him (in the NBA) his game will open up and he will be even better. Plus, he has the hype of "one and done" right now. the stupid John Wall dance. He has a built-in fanbase already. The NBA will love this kid. the ONLY reason he should come back is if he doesn't win the tournament and for some reason has some personal desire to accomplish that. I don't think he does. Patterson, yes, Wall, no. He'd like it I'm sure, but isn't going to pass on the NBA for it, and shouldn't.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ninja Scooter said:

Obviously, if you're the consensus #1 pick, you leave school. Look at what happens when you don't:

2qno2zq.jpg

Seth C said:
Kentucky fans have been there, year after year, experiencing the expectations followed my heartbreak.

I think we're gonna be an underdog no matter what so it doesn't matter if we lose. We weren't supposed to win. If we make it, I expect to pull an upset and win the first game. I hope we're in your section.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Hey, is anyone else making the March Madness thread? Or do I get to do it again this year? (It'll be 3 or 4 in a row for me! :D)

Seth C

ErasureAcer said:
I think we're gonna be an underdog no matter what so it doesn't matter if we lose. We weren't supposed to win. If we make it, I expect to pull an upset and win the first game. I hope we're in your section.

I hope you aren't, because I hope you aren't an 8 or a 9, because I'd like to see you win more than one game. Just being honest here.

charsace

Kentucky is far from an underdog. They have 5 first rounders starting for them. 2 guys that will get drafted in the top 5 and 2 more guys that could go in the lotto. Kentucky is far from an underdog. Them not winning the tittle this year would be failure.

charsace said:
Kentucky is far from an underdog. They have 5 first rounders starting for them. 2 guys that will get drafted in the top 5 and 2 more guys that could go in the lotto. Kentucky is far from an underdog. Them not winning the tittle this year would be failure.

young teams like that have a tendency to have a slip up along the way, then again, its college, they're ALL young teams. I will have to say that Kentucky kind of reminds me of the Florida teams of a few years ago that won it all together as Sophmores.

fatty

So as a Kansas fan, it looks like they will be playing Thurs/Sat, assuming they are indeed playing at Oklahoma City. Hopefully it is a night game so I don't have to take Thursday off from work (already off on Friday). I love tournament time.

SyNapSe

People are being way harsh on Wall and Cousins. There just isn't much talent left in college because everyone leaves after 1 year so this is what you get.

Wall is probably a bit overrated as the no. 1 pick because people have to pick someone and hype them anymore but he's got potential. It's probably more like a year when a Bargnagni or Bogut go 1.

Seth C

charsace said:

He was talking about Minnesota. Kentucky isn't an underdog, but to say not winning the title is a failure is crazy. Kansas is a very good team. Kentucky is the 9th youngest team in the entire NCAA Division I, and will likely be THE youngest team in the tournament. One of the favorites? Yeah, but there is no way a Final Four could be considered a disappointment for this Kentucky team. No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom