• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Basketball 2009-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Seth C said:
And he is an 18 year-old freshman in college. He has a pro body and good skills and the good big men in the NBA are aging. He will have every opportunity to succeed in the league.

And with some solid shooters around him (in the NBA) his game will open up and he will be even better. Plus, he has the hype of "one and done" right now. the stupid John Wall dance. He has a built-in fanbase already. The NBA will love this kid. the ONLY reason he should come back is if he doesn't win the tournament and for some reason has some personal desire to accomplish that. I don't think he does. Patterson, yes, Wall, no. He'd like it I'm sure, but isn't going to pass on the NBA for it, and shouldn't.

What's the John wall dance?

edit: oh he's doing the houston/dallas/texas dance and now it's the 'John Wall' dance :lol :lol

Talon

Ninja Scooter said:
young teams like that have a tendency to have a slip up along the way, then again, its college, they're ALL young teams. I will have to say that Kentucky kind of reminds me of the Florida teams of a few years ago that won it all together as Sophmores.
...except this team can't shoot yet has a far more talented backcourt.

charsace

Seth C said:
He was talking about Minnesota. Kentucky isn't an underdog, but to say not winning the title is a failure is crazy. Kansas is a very good team. Kentucky is the 9th youngest team in the entire NCAA Division I, and will likely be THE youngest team in the tournament. One of the favorites? Yeah, but there is no way a Final Four could be considered a disappointment for this Kentucky team. No way.
Kansas doesn't have the talent Kentucky has. Not even close. Just look at what Cal left behind in Memphis. That team he left behind 23-9. Kentucky probably has 4 star players sitting at the end of the bench right now.

Seth C

charsace said:
Kansas doesn't have the talent Kentucky has. Not even close. Just look at what Cal left behind in Memphis. That team he left behind 23-9. Kentucky probably has 4 star players sitting at the end of the bench right now.

Maybe not. They still are probably the BEST team in the country. Their talent is older and has more experience.

Smokey said:
What's the John wall dance?

Seriously? Haha.

opzpm8.gif

john-wall-dance.jpg

calipari-john-wall-dance.JPG

Courtney Cox doing it...
coxdoingthewall.jpg

John Wall dance in ABC's Cougartown

ESPN segment on it...

fatty

charsace said:

Kansas doesn't have the talent Kentucky has, not even close?! That is crazy talk.

Second half is off to a good start. Let's keep the momentum going, Bucks.

On a side note, I absolutely love the Big Ten Tournament logo. I think it's awesome.

BigTenBasketballTournament.jpeg

DJ_Tet

Banned
chuckddd said:
Yeah, it's one of those "they went 10-6 in the ACC! They're awesome!" things. Behold, the power of the BCS.

Yeah, I was complaining about this earlier, the unbalanced conference schedules SUCK ASS.

VT does not deserve to dance over GT (who had to play Duke, Maryland, Clemson and Wake all twice.) In this case, 7-9 and 3 wins in the ACC Tourney >>>> 10-6 accomplished with a weak ass schedule and not showing up to the Tourney.

Seth C

BertramCooper said:
Second half is off to a good start. Let's keep the momentum going, Bucks.

On a side note, I absolutely love the Big Ten Tournament logo. I think it's awesome.

BigTenBasketballTournament.jpeg

I printed out the brackets for the 5 major conferences (lol PAC-10) and I found I liked the modern art style of the Big Ten, and of the more classic ones I liked the SEC best. The Big 12 logo was lame, with a huge Phillips 66 logo all over it.

SyNapSe

It's a tournament meant to crown the national champion. The fact that we have to consider teams near below .500 in conference shows how watered down the competition already is.

I was amazed to see Dukie V. on the side of not expanding the tourney earlier today. We can't even get a 4 or 8 team tourney in football, let alone idiots clamoring for a 40 team tourney in football.

Seth C

SyNapSe said:
It's a tournament meant to crown the national champion. The fact that we have to consider teams near below .500 in conference shows how watered down the competition already is.

I was amazed to see Dukie V. on the side of not expanding the tourney earlier today. We can't even get a 4 or 8 team tourney in football, let alone idiots clamoring for a 40 team tourney in football.

Until a 16 seed wins at least ONE game, any argument that more teams should be in is ridiculous. We already have too many teams that have no chance to win getting in. The lowest seed to win was an 8, and the lowest to the Final Four is an 11. 48 was probably the sweet spot. At that point every team that got in had at least a small chance to make the Final Four.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Seth C said:
Until a 16 seed wins at least ONE game, any argument that more teams should be in is ridiculous. We already have too many teams that have no chance to win getting in. The lowest seed to win was an 8, and the lowest to the Final Four is an 11. 48 was probably the sweet spot. At that point every team that got in had at least a small chance to make the Final Four.

While I agree that the tournament is large enough this logic is flawed. The 16 seeds are not the 'last ones in on the bubble.' The last teams in could definitely win a game in the NCAA Tournament and they do so all the time.

Damian Johnson with those 4 fouls hurts. I really didn't expect Lighty to be able to get to the hoop. Turner really hasn't been around the hoop whatsoever. 1 out of 2 is eh.

Seth C

DJ_Tet said:
While I agree that the tournament is large enough this logic is flawed. The 16 seeds are not the 'last ones in on the bubble.' The last teams in could definitely win a game in the NCAA Tournament and they do so all the time.

If they can't get to the Final Four (threaten to be the best) then what does it matter that they could win a game, in the end? It's cute and all, and I know the 16 seeds aren't the ones on the bubble, but the point still stands and in the end, when an 11 seed is the lowest to ever threaten, we clearly don't need even MORE teams that absolute cannot win the thing just diluting the tournament.

Anyway, since I kept brackets, here are some numbers in the conference tournaments of some of the favorites and potential #1 seeds.

Kansas: 77 PPG, 66 OPPG, 11 point scoring margin
Kentucky: 74 PPG, 62 OPPG, 12 point scoring margin
Syracuse: 84 PPG, 91 OPPG, -7 point scoring margin
Duke: 66.3 PPG, 60.3 OPPG, 6 point scoring margin
West Virginia: 55.6 PPG, 53.3 OPPG, 2.3 point scoring margin
Ohio State: 79.6 PPG, 69.3 OPPG, 10.3 point scoring margin

Points Scored: Syracuse, Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, West Virginia
Points Against: West Virginia, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, Syracuse
Scoring Margin: Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio State, Duke, West Virginia, Syracuse

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bad news: we played like ass all 3 games.

Good news: we still found a way to win. Yay! One win from another 30 win season, hopefully at least a 31 win season and sweet 16 appearance.

I can't decide on whether it would be better to be the 4th number 1 or the 1st number 2. Keep in mind I don't care about being in KU's, UKs or Cuse's bracket because playing them means we're in the elite 8, anything beyond that is house money.

I do not want TOSU, Texas, Nova, WVU or GTown in our bracket, k thanks. Given that if we are a number one, we will have at least one of these teams.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
this is making me mad. i'm trying to make the official tournament thread and my stupid browser has crashed twice on me.

i can't believe that of all the playoffs in major sports, the one that is the most perfect (NCAA basketball) is the one that they want to fuck with. Screw these whining coaches that just want to expand the field so they can add more "NCAA tournament appearances" on their resume when they go to negotiate their next contracts. 64 teams is more than enough. If you want to cry about teams that work hard and give their all being left out, why bother even having a regular season? Lets just start the tournament in October and have it include all 200+ teams.

Proelite

truly101 said:

Good news: we still found a way to win. Yay! One win from another 30 win season, hopefully at least a 31 win season and sweet 16 appearance.

I can't decide on whether it would be better to be the 4th number 1 or the 1st number 2. Keep in mind I don't care about being in KU's, UKs or Cuse's bracket because playing them means we're in the elite 8, anything beyond that is house money.

I do not want TOSU, Texas, Nova, WVU or GTown in our bracket, k thanks. Given that if we are a number one, we will have at least one of these teams.

I think we can beat Nova pretty handily, we have a massive size advantage over them. Texas just blows these days.

truly101 said:

wouldn't the last number 1 and the first number 2 end up in the same bracket anyway? Difference is if you are the number 1 you have a better chance of being closer to home, no?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Nova still has guards that would slice us to pieces. I want no part of them, even if we're talking about a revenge factor.

Of course, with the NCAA being the way it is, Duke can count on either Nova, WVU or Georgetown in their bracket, maybe even 2 of the 3. They love rematches/grudge matches.

Seth C

ErasureAcer said:
Well this game is over. If our best comeback is 6 points we won't makeup 11 vs. OSU.

Shame you couldn't pull off the win. Hope you still make the tournament. I think you should. In fact, I think you will benefit from this late game. The committee will have expected Ohio State to win, but chosen to slot you in anyway (above someone like Mississippi State) knowing it means they don't have to move to a contingency plan if you win. Easier for them, and no one can really argue with including you guys no matter what.

DJ_Tet said:
Nova still has guards that would slice us to pieces. I want no part of them, even if we're talking about a revenge factor.

Of course, with the NCAA being the way it is, Duke can count on either Nova, WVU or Georgetown in their bracket, maybe even 2 of the 3. They love rematches/grudge matches.

Unless they decide to give West Virginia the last 1 seed, in which case it will be Kentucky, Duke, Villanova, and Michigan State in the East. Oh how they would just love that.

Ninja Scooter said:
wouldn't the last number 1 and the first number 2 end up in the same bracket anyway? Difference is if you are the number 1 you have a better chance of being closer to home, no?

A 1 or a 2 seed is going to play as close to home in the first two rounds as possible, due to the pod system. The only reason I can see a team wanting to "slip" to a 2 seed is actually to get a better chance of being close to home for the regional. Say for example, if Duke would be the worst 1 seed and get shipped to Utah, as opposed to being the top 2 seed and going to Syracuse (just as an example).

DJ_Tet

Banned
Seth C said:
Shame you couldn't pull off the win. Hope you still make the tournament. I think you should. In fact, I think you will benefit from this late game. The committee will have expected Ohio State to win, but chosen to slot you in anyway (above someone like Mississippi State) knowing it means they don't have to move to a contingency plan if you win. Easier for them, and no one can really argue with including you guys no matter what.

Unless they decide to give West Virginia the last 1 seed, in which case it will be Kentucky, Duke, Villanova, and Michigan State in the East. Oh how they would just love that.

I don't see the Big East getting 2 #1 seeds (even though it's hard to argue this year.) I think if WVU gets a #1 it comes at Syracuse's expense (who has lost 2 games in a row now.)

Could definitely be wrong though, no arguing that the Big East was the best conference in basketball this year.

Seth C

DJ_Tet said:
I don't see the Big East getting 2 #1 seeds (even though it's hard to argue this year.) I think if WVU gets a #1 it comes at Syracuse's expense (who has lost 2 games in a row now.)

Could definitely be wrong though, no arguing that the Big East was the best conference in basketball this year.

I just put little faith in the committee actually putting their rules ahead of desired TV revenue. I agree with you on what should be, but until they get in their little room and share their secrets, I'm never too confident in things shaking out the way common sense says they should.

In either case, Kentucky logically isn't the worst 1 seed, and Duke is certainly no worse than being the FIRST 2 seed, so based on the s-curve there should be absolutely no chance they would be in the same bracket. Yet some people (Seth Davis) have us in the same bracket.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ninja Scooter said:

Someone has to be number 1 in the west and none of the teams that qualify (Duke, Gtown, WVU, TOSU) regionally qualify as close

Last #1 should go to Ohio State. Yes, you heard it here first.

Well played game. Lighty got it started. Then it passed on to Turner then Diebler. Youch. Hope this bad bad loss doesn't knock Minnesota out. Still think we're better than Illinois.

I'm dissapointed in our big guys...they didn't bring it today, nor did Hoffarber. Glad Joseph and Westbrook showed up.

SyNapSe

Seth C said:
A 1 or a 2 seed is going to play as close to home in the first two rounds as possible, due to the pod system.

Unless you're from the midwest where you'll be shipped near 1500 miles to the west coast regional because hey there has to be somebody from the west coast.

Well, OSU made about the best case they possibly could for a #1 seed. I'm not concerned, though. Whatever happens happens, and I'll be perfectly content with a #2.

Seth C

SyNapSe said:
Unless you're from the midwest where you'll be shipped near 1500 miles to the west coast regional because hey there has to be somebody from the west coast.

Hm? I said first two rounds. The pod system means the 1 and 2 seeds should ALL get to play their first two games as close to home as possible. The regional is a different story. Which is specifically what I went on to describe in the portion of my post you chose not to quote?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Illinois deserves to be in. For coming back like 25pts down and clowning the Clumpson tigers at home and beating Wiscy and the Grinch at the Kohl center, they deserve it for those games.

FrankT

Man so pumped after today's win. 32-2 ah yeaaaah. Anyhow still crossing the fingers that I get to see them in Indianapolis next month.

SyNapSe

Seth C said:
Hm? I said first two rounds. The pod system means the 1 and 2 seeds should ALL get to play their first two games as close to home as possible. The regional is a different story. Which is specifically what I went on to describe in the portion of my post you chose not to quote?

Yeah, I guess I think of the "rounds" differently. I think of making it past the first weekend as round 1. Then surviving to the final 4 as round 2. Not sure of why I think of it this way, I guess it's probably because making the Sweet 16 and Final 4 get such an added emphasis.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dear god, please put WVU as the number 2 in the east region. Thanks

EDIT: BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA LOLCATS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom