• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Week 1 - Get Your Piss Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah!

"Ohio Coach: 'We may have beaten Penn State on the field, but, today, the innocent children were the real winners'"
"Ohio beats Penn State: nation's longest losing streak continues"
"Penn State still hasn't won a game since 1998"

Gotta be the winner.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Lol I saw this too, we got more votes than A&M and Auburn.

I think it's to build a Cinderella story. It's our first year in the FBS and we beat an FBS team who was a 40 point favorite, in their stadium. I think the biggest part was that it was no fluke--Bobcats just plain outplayed the Cougars. The media would LOVE to capitalize on this sort of thing.

Do I think Texas State is going to continue this momentum? No. I would love to, but they just have too small a talent pool right now. That being said, our freshmen classes have been record-breaking in each of the past fall semesters; and the campus and university itself is exploding in growth at an exponential rate. Texas State could very well develop a pipeline that begins to raid Baylor's traditional pool (due to private tuition) and the San Antonio and Austin areas.

That said, I'm going to hope Texas State has a winning record and looks damned good in their first season in D-1. I honestly didn't even expect them to beat Houston, let alone so handily.

We'll see how things stand after this week when we host Texas Tech.

I'll be at the Texas State game this weekend! First time the whole family has been able to get together for a game in years. Should be pretty fun.

I knew even as I was buying tickets from the Tech ticket office that I should have waited to buy them from TSU. Our seats suck, there were still plenty available in better areas of the stadium, and there should be a pretty large number of Tech fans there so it's not like we would have been completely surrounded by opposing fans.

Lot of people saying Houston was the biggest win in the program's history, but on the downside, there's not way Tech is going to overlook you now. Lot of Tech fans glad your big win happened this past week.

You know, I don't think I posted my impressions of the Gata game. Oh well, I don't really feel like it now. Lots of room for improvement. That's for sure.

Hopefully the playbook opens up against A&M. I don't think I can take a loss against the Aggies.

KingGondo

Banned
The administration got rid of him on some fairly flimsy premises but trust me, he was asking for it. He kept blowing off recruiting and fund raising events and at one point literally told the Chancellor to go fuck himself.

The whole episode was men behaving badly on both sides but only one side was carrying a big stick. There's a reason it took such a big name coach so long to get another job and have to settle for a bottom feeder and it's not because the Tech admin is the only one to blame for the whole fiasco.
The bolded is the heart of the matter--he didn't deserve to be fired. If they had a credible reason to fire him, Tech admin wouldn't have skulked around and conspired to have him fired because they were too cheap to pay him the bonus to which he was entitled. I would personally be pretty pissed if the best coach in the history of my program was fired because the administration was too cheap to live up to a modest contract.

Those leaked emails from the administration are pretty damning, and I had first-hand experience with Tech officials when OSU hired David Schmidly (for some mystifying reason). Guy was a hack who tried to run OSU like a corporation--re-naming the Athletic Director the "VP for Athletic Operations" and shit like that. Complete political type, which fits in with what Leach described in his book--too much concern about career advancement among the administration, and not enough concern for the athletic department or students.

Leach brought excitement, high rankings, high graduation rates, 60 Minutes profiles, NY Times magazine features... Frankly, it sounds like the Chancellor deserved to be told to fuck himself.

giga

Hah!

"Ohio Coach: 'We may have beaten Penn State on the field, but, today, the innocent children were the real winners'"
"Ohio beats Penn State: nation's longest losing streak continues"

affirm.gif

Cyan

Banned
The bolded is the heart of the matter--he didn't deserve to be fired. If they had a credible reason to fire him, Tech admin wouldn't have skulked around and conspired to have him fired because they were too cheap to pay him the bonus to which he was entitled. I would personally be pretty pissed if the best coach in the history of my program was fired because the administration was too cheap to live up to a modest contract.

Did you not see that Monroeski said to trust him?

If you can't trust a Texas Tech fan who's rationalizing his school's administration running off an awesome football coach for no good reason, who can you trust?

Gotta be the winner.

Yes, this one is clearly the best.

When I was posting the Coaches' Poll, I noticed that Todd Graham replaced Lane Kiffin's vote. Do we know if he's ranking the teams based on how good they are, or based on what order he's going to go coach them?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Those leaked emails from the administration are pretty damning, and I had first-hand experience with Tech officials when OSU hired David Schmidly (for some mystifying reason). Guy was a hack who tried to run OSU like a corporation--re-naming the Athletic Director the "VP for Athletic Operations" and shit like that. Complete political type, which fits in with what Leach described in his book--too much concern about career advancement among the administration, and not enough concern for the athletic department or students.

Leach brought excitement, high rankings, high graduation rates, 60 Minutes profiles, NY Times magazine features... Frankly, it sounds like the Chancellor deserved to be told to fuck himself.
Leach complaining about too much concern about career advancement is laughable considering all the time he spent fishing for interviews at other schools during the offseason instead of recruiting while that same mostly intact administration has been advancing Tech's academic standing and funding by leaps and bounds in the intervening time.

Also, the whole "not paying him his bonus" thing was a pretty small part of the whole deal. Got much more play in the national media than it should have. If it was all just about firing him because they didn't want to give him money he wouldn't have had to wait two years to get another job. If anything, the bigger problem with the money was that every year Leach was complaining about getting a new, higher paying contract when he was never even able to win the division, much less the conference. He was already not getting results consummate with his pay and was still wanting more while doing as little as possible to raise any money himself.

Again, I'm not saying that the Administration is perfectly in the clear but Leach definitely did his fair share of the work in making the relationship irreparable. I wouldn't mind having 2000-2007 Leach back, and I probably wouldn't mind having current "out of football for two years and can only get a job at a last place team" humbled Leach, but I wouldn't want 2008-2009 Leach back. He's going to be on much better behavior at WSU than he was in his last years at Tech. That 2008 season (and in particular the UT game) pretty much tipped him over the edge in thinking that he was bigger than the University.

Magazine covers wearing eyepatches is great and all but we set season ticket and fundraising records the first year he was gone. If his 60 Minutes interviews and Donald Trump stories were worth as much to the University as people say they were then the big story about not wanting to pay him a bonus wouldn't have made any sense because it would have been offset. It's not remotely as open and shut as you think it is.

Did you not see that Monroeski said to trust him?

If you can't trust a Texas Tech fan who's rationalizing his school's administration running off an awesome football coach for no good reason, who can you trust?

Such an awesome coach that he could barely even get an interview for over a year after he was fired.

Done for now, I really don't want to keep reiterating the same stuff I've been saying for a few years now. This is why I didn't comment on the WSU game as it was going on the other night. It gets really old trying to relate first hand knowledge of the situation only to get rebuffed every time with some variation of "you're just rationalizing LOL Tech is stupid."

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Just got back from Mexico last night. I'm going to go ahead and assume that OU played great and looked sharp and are eager to take back the big 12 title.

8-4 or 7-5

Looked like a poop sandwhich out there.

Bishman

Lost to Texas State is one of the worst displays by my team. Thank god and good riddance we got rid of Mike Nesbitt. Now we just need to beat Louisiana Tech and UCLA next week.

Thanks Monroeski, for your point of view. It's nice to hear from somebody who saw both sides of it, since most of us only really every saw Leach winning games and ESPN trying to railroad him out of Lubbock.

KingGondo

Banned
Just got back from Mexico last night. I'm going to go ahead and assume that OU played great and looked sharp and are eager to take back the big 12 title.

8-4 or 7-5

Looked like a poop sandwhich out there.
Don't worry, the defense looked strong against that ferocious UTEP attack, and the poor o-line play was simply Stoops testing Landry Jones on his pocket presence.

And Metoyer definitely looked like Dez/Broyles 2.0 out there.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Don't worry, the defense looked strong against that ferocious UTEP attack, and the poor o-line play was simply Stoops testing Landry Jones on his pocket presence.

And Metoyer definitely looked like Dez/Broyles 2.0 out there.

I need a good crying gif. I have none :(

At least we're always safe in Norman. Oh wait.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The KSU and Notre Dame games look a lot more interesting now. Not that I expect OU to lose either, but still.

Yessir I can't wait for those either, especially Notre Dame. I think they are like 8-1 against us, and I was at the game in Southbend last time they played in 99. They came back from a couple touchdowns and beat us. Time for some getback

andycapps

An Alabama radio guy was just on with Softy and he thinks we'll give LSU a game because their QB is a question mark. I hope he's right!

Playing them at night, at their house? You have a chance, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. How did Mettenberger do in his first game, anyway?

KingGondo

Banned
Yessir I can't wait for those either, especially Notre Dame. I think they are like 8-1 against us, and I was at the game in Southbend last time they played in 99. They came back from a couple touchdowns and beat us. Time for some getback
That Tech game is a potential trap as well.

OU's schedule is actually pretty tough.

KSU
@Tech
Texas
Notre Dame
Baylor
@WVU
OSU
@TCU

Hard to see the team that showed up at UTEP getting through that with fewer than 3 losses.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

OU's schedule is actually pretty tough.

KSU
@Tech
Texas
Notre Dame
Baylor
@WVU
OSU
@TCU

Hard to see the team that showed up at UTEP getting through that with fewer than 3 losses.

I can see us taking some licks if Stoops doesn't get things sinched up. I think you guys could clown us again.

KingGondo

Banned
I can see us taking some licks if Stoops doesn't get things sinched up. I think you guys could clown us again.
We'll know a lot more about OSU after the next 3 games.

If we can handle Arizona and Texas with relative ease, 10 wins should be the goal. And it would be fantastic to get that Norman monkey off our backs.

andycapps

Decent stats but it sounds like they didn't ask him to do much since they were leaning on the run.

Looks like it based on those stats. Completion percentage was good, but 1 TD and 1 int against who they played isn't exactly a dominant performance. Hard to tell based on that, I guess that's why the Bama beat writer said you guys have a chance.

dumbanddumber_small.gif

jjasper

While I think it is a nice thread title. I would prefer to not have penn st. in the title. It is just begging for dirty outsiders that have no reason to be here to come in.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
With Texas State getting 10 points in the "also receiving votes" category of the AP poll, that makes them the 4th ranked school in the state (Texas at 17, TCU at 20, Baylor with 38 in others receiving votes). Who would have ever thought that Tech could actually improve their national standing with a win over the Bobcats this week?

Is it really a trap game if OU hasn't won in Lubbock since 2003? ;)

Cyan

Banned
While I think it is a nice thread title. I would prefer to not have penn st. in the title. It is just begging for dirty outsiders that have no reason to be here to come in.

Gotta commemorate the lack-of-win streak.

Besides, what else really happened this week that's interesting enough for a thread title?

andycapps

I agree with this.. The more that we talk about the school, the worse it is for CFB as a whole, IMO. Even if we're making fun of them, our jokes aren't really those that you'd necessarily get if you didn't follow these threads every day.

So Andy Staples posted he left Ohio St off his ballot on accident becuase he did it at 3:30 in the morning.

I'm so glad we have these things...

A Fla beat writer just called into the Urban Meyer Call-in show and asked what he thinks about gata fans rooting for UCF since he left Florida for tOSU.

Urban told him he didnt leave one school for another and his facts are "unsurprisingly, incorrect." Love the way Urbz handels press, so much better than the vest.

Schmitty

A Fla beat writer just called into the Urban Meyer Call-in show and asked what he thinks about gata fans rooting for UCF since he left Florida for tOSU.

Urban told him he didnt leave one school for another and his facts are "unsurprisingly, incorrect." Love the way Urbz handels press, so much better than the vest.

I used to not like the guy when down in SEC land but after coming to OSU, I can definitely tell that he knows what he is doing

Probably going to buy a student ticket off Stubhub for this week's game.

I guess we'll see if the old BuckID passes the stadium security smell test.

Probably going to buy a student ticket off Stubhub for this week's game.

I guess we'll see if the old BuckID passes the stadium security smell test.

They dont give a shit. You dont even have to have your own BuckID, just a BuckID. I could give my ticket and BuckID to my parents and they would let one of them in.

Jeff-DSA

Urban Meyer is a dick. Only fans of the team he's coaching like him. He completely ruined the BYU/Utah rivalry. It used to be fun and the fanbases teased each other. When Meyer came he introduced a serious lack of respect and turned the whole thing mean. Now the fanbases don't tease, they're just flat out rude and mean to one another.

I was happy to see him leave Utah, but unfortunately the rivalry is still bitter and mean, and I don't know what it would take to make it a fun rivalry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom