• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2012 Week 1 - Get Your Piss Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre3001

Highlight of this weekend

562998_362765207132024_364012818_n.jpeg

andycapps

Wait, why in the HELL is OU in the top five in both polls?

Coaches don't watch games.. That would explain the Coaches Poll.. Doesn't explain the AP Poll. Maybe they don't watch games either. These things are always more of a popularity contest the first 3-4 weeks of the season.

Coaches don't watch games.. That would explain the Coaches Poll.. Doesn't explain the AP Poll. Maybe they don't watch games either. These things are always more of a popularity contest the first 3-4 weeks of the season.

I am thinking I can somehow blame Toby Keith.

How is Texas St. getting 10 points in the AP? I mean I know they beat a gutted Houston team, but that's a little ridiculous.

Because when you get to the bottom of your ballot, you get really lazy.

Top 5: Probably researched.
Top 10: Looked at the box scores
Top 20: Looked at the record
Top 25: Uh, who is unexpected, and did Notre Dame win?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
My piss is getting cold. When do we get a new thread?

I vote for titling it something along the lines of: "Martha Stewart's Guide to Keeping the Rffraff and Mid-Majors in the Kitchen Where They Belong - College Football 2012 Week 2"

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

mre

Or: College Football Week 2: This year, we're ALL Nitanny Lions"
College Football Week 2: We are PENN STATE

Should be worth it just for the laughs.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

This GQ article gives us tons of slogans.

•"Penn State Forever"
•"Joe Knows Football"
•"We Are"
•"We Care"
•"Those who stayed may not be champions, but they will forever be legends." (I thought this one was the stupidest of the bunch.)
•"Roll up your pant legs. This is JoePa's house."
•"Still Proud"
•"Success with honor"
•"Coach Paterno, only one thing: Thank you!"
•"NCAA" (with a hammer & sickle replacing the C)
•"Restore the roar"
•"Hey media... we know the truth" (Somehow I doubt that Bobby from Delta Upsilon knew more about the Sandusky case than Sara Ganim)
•"O'Brien's Lions"
•"We Are... Pissed Off" (It's worth noting that no one who rocked this slogan looked all that pissed off)
•"More than a man, more than a coach, you touched our soul"
•"One Team"
•"Those people" (???)
•"Billieve" (referring to PSU head coach Bill O'Brien)
•"We are... because he was"

Cyan

Banned

"College Football 2012 Week 2 - Hahahaha Penn State lost and we are reveling in it, reveling! Also, we hate local businesses!"

Should rope in some of those "ZOMG innocent bystanders!" whiners from the other thread.

ChiTownBuffalo

"College Football 2012 Week 2 - Hahahaha Penn State lost and we are reveling in it, reveling! Also, we hate local businesses!"

Should rope in some of those "ZOMG innocent bystanders!" whiners from the other thread.

Or, College Football 2012 Week 2: Michigan degloved by Alabama.

mre

Hah!

"Ohio Coach: 'We may have beaten Penn State on the field, but, today, the innocent children were the real winners'"
"Ohio beats Penn State: nation's longest losing streak continues"
"Penn State still hasn't won a game since 1998"

"Ohio beats Penn State: nation's longest losing streak continues"
"Penn State still hasn't won a game since 1998"

I much prefer these two.

I also love this.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thought about using Miss. State's Smoke Monster as a jumping off point, but Chitown's use of deglove is pretty boss.

Sarcastic use of Penn State Support would only bring death and ruin.

I think Sheraton downtown at Capitol Square? That looks about right. As you can tell I'm not in charge of travel plans!

As for plans, I know one of the main ones is to try to find dive food places around the area for food. Then of course go out Saturday night.

Thrumans is a 100% must then, and if you like german sausage check out Schmidts.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
No, I've been getting harrased with PC part components, ever since I went and bought a bunch of pieces last week.

mre

No, I've been getting harrased with PC part components, ever since I went and bought a bunch of pieces last week.

Which is weired, because I've never googled "MBA" or "UNC."

By the way, Meier asked me to point out that if we had done our Pick 'Em on Yahoo, we'd know the results of week 1 already.

I'm getting Spanish-language Special K ads.

Apparently I can perder una talla de jeans en 2 semanas by eating Special K.
I've got that on the top.

ChiTownBuffalo

Futurama-SadBender-Quote_medium.png

And this is how I felt all Saturday night.

How is Texas St. getting 10 points in the AP? I mean I know they beat a gutted Houston team, but that's a little ridiculous.
Lol I saw this too, we got more votes than A&M and Auburn.

I think it's to build a Cinderella story. It's our first year in the FBS and we beat an FBS team who was a 40 point favorite, in their stadium. I think the biggest part was that it was no fluke--Bobcats just plain outplayed the Cougars. The media would LOVE to capitalize on this sort of thing.

Do I think Texas State is going to continue this momentum? No. I would love to, but they just have too small a talent pool right now. That being said, our freshmen classes have been record-breaking in each of the past fall semesters; and the campus and university itself is exploding in growth at an exponential rate. Texas State could very well develop a pipeline that begins to raid Baylor's traditional pool (due to private tuition) and the San Antonio and Austin areas.

That said, I'm going to hope Texas State has a winning record and looks damned good in their first season in D-1. I honestly didn't even expect them to beat Houston, let alone so handily.

We'll see how things stand after this week when we host Texas Tech.

ChiTownBuffalo

I didn't even watch the DVR of the Badger game after seeing the score and highlights.
Ugh.

You know how bad it is?

This is the headline on a CU Sports Website.

"CU Soccer off the best start in school's history."

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I felt kinda bad for Mike Leach during that BYU game. Obvoiusly I wanted my Cougars to win, but I really hope Leach finds success up at Washington State. I still feel like his dismissal from Texas Tech was ridiculous, and I'd love nothing more than for him to be just as, if not more, successful than he was before.
The administration got rid of him on some fairly flimsy premises but trust me, he was asking for it. He kept blowing off recruiting and fund raising events and at one point literally told the Chancellor to go fuck himself.

The whole episode was men behaving badly on both sides but only one side was carrying a big stick. There's a reason it took such a big name coach so long to get another job and have to settle for a bottom feeder and it's not because the Tech admin is the only one to blame for the whole fiasco.

Sure, but they just looked completely incapable. Heck, they wouldn't have even got the 6 points if the Pac-12 refs didn't keep moving the ball forward 15 yards for Pac-12 reasons. I guess the biggest issue he's facing is that it doesn't look like anybody on that offense is built to run his system at this time.

The offense Leach took over at Tech was built to consistently have RBs putting up ground yardage in the 1500+ range. Spike Dyke's offense had at least two 2,000 yard rushers in Byron Hanspard and Bam Morris plus a 1,500 yard rusher in Ricky Williams (in 1998, only two seasons before Leach got there for 2000, and he likely would have repeated or bettered the number if he hadn't gotten hurt in '99).

The offense at WSU will of course get better as he gets talent in there that better fits the system but he more or less hit the ground running at Tech with a team that was built on great defense and running the ball which is the complete opposite of what Leach teams are known for. Can't read too much into just this one game.

What's interesting is that he only had ~25 fewer yards against BYU as the offense did in his first game at Tech, but in that game Tech beat New Mexico something like 24-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom