• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 1| - Death Throes

Mack Brown playing well is a surprise considering nobody had warmed a bench better for the last 3 years, especially not a 4/5 star recruit. Is Toledo's run D any good last year? Or is this just good numbers on bad D?

Blocking by the line does look pretty good, too, which is obviously an underappreciated aspect, but I don't think the O-line for Florida has played particularly well in that regard in recent years.

Pimpwerx

IIRC, the line and running game looked tits in Week1 last year too, when Gillislee really looked like he'd get 1500yd/24TD, or whatever ridiculous number he wanted. Then the conference schedule started.... PEACE.

Silkworm

What has Driskel done wrong? The fumble was due to Brown not blocking Toledo. I thought Driskel looks good hitting his receivers. *shrug*

Edit: Florida's offense is going to methodical under Muschamp, no fun n' gun here. It's okay (just win baby) :)

Silkworm

Looks a little more comfortable in the pocket. He actually progressed through his reads once or twice.

Yeah, he hasn't been unnecessarily scrambling out of the pocket as far as I've seen. Just sitting there and making his progressions.

Edit: UF defense is getting a little sloppy at the end. Hopefully they hold Toledo to a field goal.

Pimpwerx

What has Driskel done wrong? The fumble was due to Brown not blocking Toledo. I thought Driskel looks good hitting his receivers. *shrug*

Edit: Florida's offense is going to methodical under Muschamp, no fun n' gun here. It's okay :)

It's only because the QB ain't up to the task. We'd air it out more if we could. Driskel's attempts are limited for a reason. Even when he's unpressured, he's shown a habit of throwing high to his receivers. For someone who's mobility is his trump card, he doesn't throw particularly well on the run. His biggest issue over the years has been his progression. He doesn't go through his progression. He stares guys down too, which won't be exposed against a shitty team like Toledo, but might be an issue against tougher secondaries. He's also a bit gunshy, not taking the chances you'd expect a good college QB to.

He's being given a ton of short, quick reads, and we're just dinking and dunking. It's not even playcalling, because you'd expect us to mix it with the long ball. We're not. We're dinking and dunking because trusting Driskel to go through a proper progression and air it out would probably be a mistake. He might be a nice guy, but Driskel ain't fit to be a Gator QB IMO. I've been on his case a while now. PEACE.

Silkworm

It's only because the QB ain't up to the task. We'd air it out more if we could. Driskel's attempts are limited for a reason. Even when he's unpressured, he's shown a habit of throwing high to his receivers. For someone who's mobility is his trump card, he doesn't throw particularly well on the run. His biggest issue over the years has been his progression. He doesn't go through his progression. He stares guys down too, which won't be exposed against a shitty team like Toledo, but might be an issue against tougher secondaries. He's also a bit gunshy, not taking the chances you'd expect a good college QB to.

He's being given a ton of short, quick reads, and we're just dinking and dunking. It's not even playcalling, because you'd expect us to mix it with the long ball. We're not. We're dinking and dunking because trusting Driskel to go through a proper progression and air it out would probably be a mistake. He might be a nice guy, but Driskel ain't fit to be a Gator QB IMO. I've been on his case a while now. PEACE.

Oh I see :) No problem. Not sure if UF might be playing it a bit vanilla because of Miami next week but I guess you'll need to see more from Driskel to convince you he's capable at QB. Anyway, I guess next week will be a better game to evaluate how the offense is progressing.

bachikarn

Muschamp's conservative philosophy really bugs me. I didn't think it was real, because why do you hire Charlie Weis and Boise's OC if you want to be conservative offensively, but you don't take one shot the entire first half?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow all cut from their NFL teams. Can we send them back to the college ranks?

Silkworm

Muschamp's conservative philosophy really bugs me. I didn't think it was real, because why do you hire Charlie Weis and Boise's OC if you want to be conservative offensively, but you don't take one shot the entire first half?

Well, maybe Pimpwerx's theory is correct and they don't trust Driskel. Not sure but maybe we'll see the Gators air it our more in the 2nd half.

Broank

Oh yay Michigan's Thomas Gordon suspended for todays game. That means we are down to a true freshmen and a sophomore South Carolina burned for 3 TDs when he started the bowl game at safety. :/

Jamesways

'Bout damn time Stave! Abbrederis 65 yard TD!

Yah Badgers.

Running game working great, plenty of things to iron out in the passing game the first half. Good to see they're getting addressed.

Pimpwerx

I really like that WR Evans on aTm. I remember commenting on him last year when that faced the Gators. He's tall and has good hands. If he doesn't get injured, that guy has NFL written all over him. He's only gonna get stronger. PEACE.

Jamesways

James White 51 yard TD run. This is going to be a fun year watching the Badgers rush the ball. Again, that White/Gordon combo. Both so much faster than Ball.

Edit- both over 100 yards each now.

Top Bottom