• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 11| Thursday Night Lights

The rule is any Mid Major who is ranked 16 or above and ahead in the rankings of a Champion from a BCS conference gets in ahead of them.

Balphon

The rule is any Mid Major who is ranked 16 or above and ahead in the rankings of a Champion from a BCS conference gets in ahead of them.

Like I said, they're not a mid-major in the BCS. They're a mid-major in the playoff. That's next year.

you're not understanding me. ANY BCS Conference Champion can lose their spot to a Mid Major Ranked 16 or above if they are ranked below them

That's not how it works.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm talking about Fresno State or Northern Illinious stealing the BCS bowl spot

Like I said, they're not a mid-major in the BCS. They're a mid-major in the playoff. That's next year.

That's not how it works.
Baphon has it right. All that means is that either Fresno or NI would have to be chosen as an "at large" team (by whichever Bowl has the last pick). They don't "steal" a spot from an AQ conference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
you're not understanding me. ANY BCS Conference Champion can lose their spot to a Mid Major Ranked 16 or above if they are ranked below them

I think you are misreading the rules. If they are ranked ahead of an automatic qualifier, the mid major gets an automatic qualifier if in the top 16. But the automatic qualifier still gets in. That is why they call them automatic qualifiers.

hiryu2015

I didn't think I could score a free student ticket but I did. I didn't think I could make it to stadium during such a busy day but I did. I didn't think id be closely watching the clock at start of fourth quarter trying to preserve a shutout but I did.

What an amazing game to see live, but the 2011 USC 3-OT game still holds up as the best game I've attended. Just a bit though!

ah shit my bad. I read somewhere that AAC was in danger of losing BCS spot and reading the rules and they are two different things alltogether. I'm wrong!

Paches

Hogan_Atomic_Drops_Ducks.gif

Talon

Yeah, it was worst case scenario too. I guess Mariota having an MCL sprain didn't help. He was super obvious on the read tonight. Thought he played okay aside from a couple missed throws tbh (the big'un is that first underthrow TD).

Silver lining is that I think Mariota comes back next year. Maybe DAT too.
Kev, I know you're a homer, but he didn't play "okay." He was hesitant and was holding that ball like a loaf of bread.

Kevtones

Kev, I know you're a homer, but he didn't play "okay." He was hesitant and was holding that ball like a loaf of bread.

I thought he gutted some really impressive throws tonight. Protection was balls but his lack of mobility was really noticeable (both in the pocket and on the read). His overthrow swing pass to Byron Marshall when he had a clear running path really solidified his limitation/mental state. That first missed touchdown pass was really bad too. Game complexion/vibe changes completely if he makes that throw.

Oregon mentally fucked themselves tonight though. They were actually crisper on third down/between the 20s than they've been in some other games this year (against much worse defenses). They played into Stanford's game in the Red-Zone. Mentally and physically, they over-thought things and Stanford just lined the fuck up. The DAT fumble was brutal as was that bad call against Ike that negated his INT.

Coaching move..? Commit like 3-5 personal fouls and get Stanford into their Red-Zone so the clock doesn't burn/defense doesn't play 45 minutes/offense only has 7 possessions. Stanford wasn't getting chunks and their passing game only succeeded in extended situations. Give Stanford 6 play drives exclusively and see how they do.

Hell, Oregon lost by the same amount of points on plays where Stanford was attempting FG (12-6).

Oregon got out-coached tonight. Stanford literally had their best game ever given the context; Oregon their worst. 6 point loss. That's coaching.

This is what I said a couple weeks ago:

Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Ohio State will all be undefeated.

Would have been a great year if the four team playoff was in as I think they are all pretty evenly matched.

After Saturday, FSU is my pick to win it.

They have the best combined offence and defence.

Bama's offense is not good enough.
Oregon's defence is the worst out of the above four teams.
Ohio State doesnt have as good offense or defense as FSU.

Even though I was wrong about Oregon staying undefeated, I still stand by the fact that FSU are the best team out of those four and Oregon's defense is the worst.

ah shit my bad. I read somewhere that AAC was in danger of losing BCS spot and reading the rules and they are two different things alltogether. I'm wrong!
Ya, remember last year NIU got in because they were in the top 16 and finished ahead of the unranked Big 10 champ.

Didn't take a spot from any AQ team. Just bumped out an at-large team from one of the AQ conferences.

This year one of NIU or Fresno will likely make it. Likely pushing the American champ to either Sugar or Orange thankfully. If one of them gets to the top 12, they get in too. No matter if they are ranked ahead of an AQ champ or not.

ag-my001

Ya, remember last year NIU got in because they were in the top 16 and finished ahead of the unranked Big 10 champ.

Didn't take a spot from any AQ team. Just bumped out an at-large team from one of the AQ conferences.

This year one of NIU or Fresno will likely make it. Likely pushing the American champ to either Sugar or Orange thankfully. If one of them gets to the top 12, they get in too. No matter if they are ranked ahead of an AQ champ or not.

Most years Boise got in because they were above the Big East champs. The Boise/TCU Fiesta bowl was interesting, first for the chicken matchup, second because only one was guaranteed a BCS berth. That likely won't happen this year if both NIU and Fresno are in the top 16. Only the top ranked team will go.

Do we think Stanford climbs to #4, or will the computers love them enough to jump tOSU?

Came for the gif of the Stanford fan's o face after Stanford scored their first touchdown. Leaving disappointed.

Is Jameis the frontrunner for the Heisman now? He did have two interceptions and 1 TD last game. He wasn't playing Jameis football though.

Most years Boise got in because they were above the Big East champs. The Boise/TCU Fiesta bowl was interesting, first for the chicken matchup, second because only one was guaranteed a BCS berth. That likely won't happen this year if both NIU and Fresno are in the top 16. Only the top ranked team will go.

Do we think Stanford climbs to #4, or will the computers love them enough to jump tOSU?

Correction: they were above the ACC champs.

Just because the ACC is having a mini-resurrection, doesn't mean they were better than the Big East, back when it existed.

Don't make me pull out the Big East's BCS bowl record & rankings!

jamessinclair is going to cut your ass for leaving out Fresno, the undisputed (by everyone but those influenced by ESPN) #1 team in the land.

Pretty sure he was talking about Fresno State University (FSU), not Florida State University. Go Bulldogs (not UGA, FSU)!

Even though I was wrong about Oregon staying undefeated, I still stand by the fact that FSU are the best team out of those four and Oregon's defense is the worst.

Agreed but I think the gap between Bama and FSU is pretty small. The defenses are pretty even with Bama having a slight edge due to experience under their system. The offenses are a little further apart (but still not very) with FSU having the advantage. I think a title game between FSU and Bama would still open with a spread of Alabama -3.5.

KingGondo

Banned
Hey guys, did you know Stanford is not only a good football program, but that they also have lots of smart people (a/k/a Nerds, Geeks, Dorks)?

I hope Ohio State gives them a swirly in the Rose Bowl.

And I really hope they don't end up playing MSU because that game will be terrible to watch.

Super bummed that I didn't get to watch the games last night. At this point, I really don't think I can pick Oregon to win a big game again until they actually do it. Kinda like how I'll never pick Georgetown to make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, no matter what their seed is.

Balphon

Super bummed that I didn't get to watch the games last night. At this point, I really don't think I can pick Oregon to win a big game again until they actually do it. Kinda like how I'll never pick Georgetown to make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, no matter what their seed is.

Fiesta Bowl doesn't count?

methane47

So guys... with all the hoopla of FSU being in conrtol of its own destiny.. i decided to start looking up the Cost for me to go to the championship game...

HNNNGGGGG

Plane ticket ~900
Game Ticket 400+

HNNGGGG

Not even considering Hotel, Food, Transportation ...
Sigh..

pxleyes

Banned
So guys... with all the hoopla of FSU being in conrtol of its own destiny.. i decided to start looking up the Cost for me to go to the championship game...

HNNNGGGGG

Plane ticket ~900
Game Ticket 400+

HNNGGGG

Not even considering Hotel, Food, Transportation ...
Sigh..

Are you flying first class? Try southwest.

Top Bottom