• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 11| Thursday Night Lights

It's all about Alabama and Baylor losing, FSU's on a 2 Bye Month break until January.

Might need to have Stanford lose again. I know that loss is there, it should keep them out, but damn, they were 5th before beating Oregon...

FSU still has to (likely) play two in-state rivals. Florida has been awful this year, but the game is in Gainesville and they usually show up for rivalry games. They at least made the UGA game competitive last week. And then FSU probably has to play Miami again in the ACC championship game. It's so hard to beat the same team twice in a year.

cashman

Banned
FSU still has to (likely) play two in-state rivals. Florida has been awful this year, but the game is in Gainesville and they usually show up for rivalry games. They at least made the UGA game competitive last week. And then FSU probably has to play Miami again in the ACC championship game. It's so hard to beat the same team twice in a year.
UGA isn't very good this year after all the injuries. No way Florida keeps that game close.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Miami lost its best player on offense for the season. Florida is a bigger threat than Miami at this point.

methane47

Florida is always a threat in Gainsville for FSU. There is just so much at stake right now, It seems like the perfect timing for an upset

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Went back, added in the new stats from the 2 games last night (sorry Troy and ULL, didn't fully put you guys in, since your both 30th or worse), also fixed the PBU/INT stat on the offense, because I realize an error (I can't find a page that gives PBU's against a teams offense, only the ones that a teams defense creates). So, made sure I didn't screw up the amount of an offense's incompletion, I redid all that.

Still comes out pretty close to what I had. I just assume that Oklahoma was previously lower than I should have had them, but now after the loss, are in the same spot as before. Oregon and Stanford flipped, and Baylor moved ahead of Michigan State

1. Louisville
  2. Baylor
  3. Michigan State
  4. Ohio State
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Alabama
  7. Stanford
  8. Northern Illinois
  9. Wisconsin
  10. Clemson
  11. Auburn
  12. Arizona State
  13. Florida State
  14. Oregon
  15. Georgia Tech
  16. Fresno State
  17. North Texas
  18. Missouri
  19. USC
  20. Texas A&M
  21. UCF
  22. Utah State
  23. Oklahoma
  24. Miami (Florida)
  25. Florida

Top 25 Offenses going by "Not screwing themselves over on a % scale"
  1. Navy
  2. Ohio State
  3. Army
  4. Air Force
  5. Baylor
  6. Northern Illinois
  7. Stanford
  8. Texas A&M
  9. Cincinnati
  10. Oregon
  11. Alabama
  12. Auburn
  13. Louisville
  14. Boise State
  15. Georgia Tech
  16. Louisiana-Lafayette
  17. LSU
  18. Florida State
  19. Toledo
  20. Minnesota
  21. Wisconsin
  22. UCF
  23. North Texas
  24. Miami (Florida)
  25. Western Kentucky

Appears like heavy running teams that don't get tackled behind the lines, and don't throw the ball, are favored here, almost too much. This section needs work, which is hard when what I'm going off of is a very Binary type system (it's either a sack, or it isn't, etc). Maybe if I do something like "(all those numbers * yards per play on offense.). Any team on here that can throw the football, should be considered dangerous.

Top 25 Defenses going by "consistently stops the opposing offense on a % scale"
  1. Michigan State
  2. Louisville
  3. Clemson
  4. Baylor
  5. USC
  6. Virginia Tech
  7. Arizona State
  8. Cincinnati
  9. Wisconsin
  10. TCU
  11. Alabama
  12. Florida
  13. Oklahoma State
  14. North Carolina State
  15. Virginia
  16. Utah State
  17. Ohio State
  18. Florida State
  19. Syracuse
  20. Stanford
  21. Missouri
  22. Tulane
  23. Auburn
  24. Northern Illinois
  25. Fresno State

I feel this isn't too far off, considering this is the top 25 total defenses (Yards Per Play)
  1. Michigan State
  2. Virginia Tech
  3. Baylor
  4. Florida State
  5. Louisville
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oregon
  8. East Carolina
  9. Marshall
  10. Cincinnati
  11. Oklahoma State
  12. Ohio State
  13. Stanford
  14. Utah State
  15. Alabama
  16. BYU
  17. Memphis
  18. Iowa
  19. Florida
  20. USC
  21. Arizona
  22. TCU
  23. Texas Tech
  24. UCLA
  25. Washington

Basically, I've just shat all over the topic with meaningless bullshit, but I've wasted an hour at work. Now, to find more ways to whittle down these formulas into something closer to Dat Real Life. My Dream of dethroning PACPACPAC Sagarin is ever inching closer.

Small victories.

Too many numbers floating on the brain to keep up with, than considering if I'm writing in past, present, or future tense.

I'm not trying to undermine your wins just pointing out that you had an easier road to a BCS game than folks in the two better, as a whole, conferences of the BCS period (SEC & Big 12). You can only play the folks on your schedule and do the best you can. It's not Ohio State's fault the Big Ten powers haven't been able to take that next step.

My original point was that OSU has a reputation for being chokers, even though our record in big games is actually pretty damn great.

While there may be some truth in your claims, they aren't that relevant to the point I was making. Regardless of how we get to major bowl games, once we're in them, our record is quite good.

Florida is always a threat in Gainsville for FSU. There is just so much at stake right now, It seems like the perfect timing for an upset

Even if UF lost the rest of their games this season I think beating FSU and derailing their championship aspirations would totally redeem UF's year. If they have no chance of winning the SEC this is the next best thing.

If that happened I would still be very pleased with FSU's year. I expected them to lose at least two games this year. I definitely thought they would lose to Clemson and then probably UF. But that game at Clemson made me a believer.

Agreed that UF is a threat to FSU. It's a rivalry, they are always a threat. That said I still think FSU cruises past them, even on the road.

The season is far from over, fellow Seminoles. One game at a time. One game at a time. Process. Etc.

Fuck Wake Forest.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming Tech beats KSU tomorrow, looking down the schedule for next week our game against Baylor probably has a pretty good chance of getting College Gameday. Could be the only game between ranked teams next weekend, though if Texas is able to beat WVU they could conceivably hop up to 25 or 24 and they play Oklahoma State in Austin. You know ESPN loves them some UT, but Baylor is really hot right now and the TTU/BU game will be in Dallas which should be able to accommodate the ESPN crew pretty easily.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Right now, it doesn't. "Bend don't break" is a subjective term that isn't as identifiable as "You played this many plays, and this many plays you did nothing or worse"

Working on it, right up until Alabama loses a game, then fuck it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
How about, yes. His name is Ron Kellogg III.
Clearly trying to ride the coat tails of RGIII. Hell, one of the girls calls him RGIII. So he can't be RKIII. It just doesn't work. Nebraska fans, please understand.

mre

BYfqoZXIQAAnn5j.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gameday crew on Sportscenter just posted their top 5 projection for next week assuming no further losses this week:

1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Ohio State
4. Stanford
5. Baylor

also, check out the float with The Florida Goal-liners. Whatever that is.

What was better--the float from the Jorts Appreciation Society, or the float from the Society for the Appreciation of Jorts? Ever since those two groups splintered off from The Jorts Society of Florida, you could cut the tension with a knife. (Which, BTW is a central membership ritual for the Secret Brotherhood of the Order of Jorts.)

mcgruber

GAF Pick'em Week 11 Games

Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 11
Penn State @ Minnesota by 11
Wisconsin by 11
Nebraska by 11
Virginia Tech 7
UCF by 15
Texas @ West Virginia by 11
LSU @ Alabama by 18
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 7
UCLA @ Arizona by 14

tough week. looks like all the interesting games are night, with penn state and michigan being the exceptions because who know if either of those teams will show up.

mcgruber

Assuming Tech beats KSU tomorrow, looking down the schedule for next week our game against Baylor probably has a pretty good chance of getting College Gameday. Could be the only game between ranked teams next weekend, though if Texas is able to beat WVU they could conceivably hop up to 25 or 24 and they play Oklahoma State in Austin. You know ESPN loves them some UT, but Baylor is really hot right now and the TTU/BU game will be in Dallas which should be able to accommodate the ESPN crew pretty easily.

I could see it in auburn or in Austin against the gondos. Cliche, but this is a different texas team.

Has it been confirmed that ash is done for the season?

I could see it in auburn or in Austin against the gondos. Cliche, but this is a different texas team.

Has it been confirmed that ash is done for the season?

He may be on the verge of being healthy enough to play, and he apparently threw some passes in practice this week, but some are speculating he may as well sit out to get a med-red. And since he's out of football shape, Case may be a better option at this point anyway.

Even if UF lost the rest of their games this season I think beating FSU and derailing their championship aspirations would totally redeem UF's year. If they have no chance of winning the SEC this is the next best thing.

If that happened I would still be very pleased with FSU's year. I expected them to lose at least two games this year. I definitely thought they would lose to Clemson and then probably UF. But that game at Clemson made me a believer.

We have too many key contributors out for the season to give FSU any trouble.

MIMIC

Banned
Gameday crew on Sportscenter just posted their top 5 projection for next week assuming no further losses this week:

1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Ohio State
4. Stanford
5. Baylor

Last week, I made this long diatribe on FB about how if Oregon lost, Stanford would certainly pass us (Ohio St.). I completely forgot about their loss to Utah.

I hope it is as significant as everyone says it is...because I was certain that they would be the new No. 3.

It's significant. The loss was inexplicable. I think it was a miracle from Jesus. Praise the Lord that we don't have to worry about seeing them in the MNC game.

Incoming losses by Alabama, FSU, Baylor, tOSU, and Oregon again for good measure.

Talka

Last week, I made this long diatribe on FB about how if Oregon lost, Stanford would certainly pass us (Ohio St.). I completely forgot about their loss to Utah.

I hope it is as significant as everyone says it is...because I was certain that they would be the new No. 3.

It's significant, but they'll likely finish as the top one-loss team assuming they win out (a one-loss Alabama or Auburn might finish above them, but I doubt it). Their schedule is that tough.

And it's entirely possible they end up passing Ohio State. If Wisconsin and Michigan State both drop a game, Ohio State could end up without a single ranked team on their resume, and Stanford would pass them by enough in the computers to put them over the top in the BCS averages.

It's unlikely, though. I'm betting Stanford and Ohio State meet in the Rose Bowl. Which would be an awesome game.

And it's entirely possible they end up passing Ohio State. If Wisconsin and Michigan State both drop a game, Ohio State could end up without a single ranked team on their resume, and Stanford would pass them by enough in the computers to put them over the top in the BCS averages.

No it isn't. We're not getting jumped by a one-loss team if we win out.

Ah, yes, it's almost time for Cal's annual beating at the hands of USC:
— Cal has not held a lead against USC in 2,191 days, since Justin Forsett scored 17-yard touchdown for a 7-0 lead with 7:18 left in the first quarter on Nov. 10, 2007.

— Over the past five years, USC has outscored Cal 109-6 in the first half. The Bears were held without a touchdown in the first half of all five of those games.

— Cal has held a halftime lead just once the past nine years vs. USC: 9-6 in 2006.

— USC has outrushed the Bears 972 yards to 277 the past five years. Cal averaged just 2.1 yards per rush in those five games.

— The Bears have scored nine touchdown the past nine games against the Trojans.
Good times.

We all know the universe isn't done punishing Cal fans yet.
Quiet, you.
Cal basketball just tipped off. Is this a good thing?
Basketball team should be solid this year.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Rise & grind cfb GAF. I'm heading out the door since ole miss has the early JP kickoff. Sausage biscuit, bloody mary, and overcoat time.

mre

Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 7
Penn State @ Minnesota by 7
BYU @ Wisconsin by 7
Nebraska @ Michigan by 7
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 7
Houston @ UCF by 7
Texas @ West Virginia by 7
LSU @ Alabama by 7
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 7
UCLA @ Arizona by 7

mre

Bcs experts have already weighed in and said a 1 loss team would not jump is. Also went to far as to say if Baylor were going to jump us at all it's only chance will be this week.

They might be able to predict this based upon the computer polls, but there's now way to say "for sure" that OSU won't get jumped by the human voters. I don't think that will happen, but you never know.

Hell, according to that one guy here, Stanford should be your new #1 team!

They might be able to predict this based upon the computer polls, but there's now way to say "for sure" that OSU won't get jumped by the human voters. I don't think that will happen, but you never know.

Well it was true they werent playing Furd football most of the year so of course!

Quake1028

Exactly. If Baylor/Furd win out and replace OSU as 3/4 in the human polls, and have better computer numbers (which they would), you are getting jumped.

FyreWulff

I want to see the hilarity of Ohio State having 3 perfect seasons and only one national championship to show for it

plz pull through Ohio State

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I should be excited for today's game but it would be a very Duke football thing to do, beating VT in Blacksburg and losing to a sorry NCSU team at home. Not sure my body is ready.

Top Bottom