• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 11| Thursday Night Lights

I'll give you Oregon loses some big games, but saying we lose all of them is the college football equivalent of fortune cookie wisdom.

Ohio State apparently loses all big games, too, despite having the second highest number of BCS bowl wins (tied for first, if you include the vacated Sugar Bowl win).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
A bunch of NFL scouts were at the Oregon-Stanford game:

uNZvNWc.png

I wonder what they jotted down in their notes about the Oregon players we saw crying on the sidelines towards the end.

Meier

uNZvNWc.png

I wonder what they jotted down in their notes about the Oregon players we saw crying on the sidelines towards the end.

I honestly don't have a problem with it personally. It must have been absolutely crushing.

The Heisman race shifted astronomically last night. Mariota now 20/1 to win after being 5/7. Jameis went from 1/1 to 1/5. JFF went from 8/1 to 3/1. Still a few games left to slip up, but there's a very good chance we end up with back to back Freshman winning the Heisman or someone winning it back to back. Crazy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I honestly don't have a problem with it personally. It must have been absolutely crushing.

The Heisman race shifted astronomically last night. Mariota now 20/1 to win after being 5/7. Jameis went from 1/1 to 1/5. JFF went from 8/1 to 3/1. Still a few games left to slip up, but there's a very good chance we end up with back to back Freshman winning the Heisman or someone winning it back to back. Crazy.

Huff was crying at the beginning of the fourth quarter. That is giving up.

Balphon

Huff was crying at the beginning of the fourth quarter. That is giving up.

Eh, you could spin it that way I suppose. Still, people will criticize Huff for crying and use the same breath to criticize DAT for smiling. There's not much objectivity to it.

Besides, can you really hate on a guy for wanting to win at something he dedicates a ton of time to and then being upset when it doesn't work out?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

uNZvNWc.png

One of those guys had to be the guy that said Mariota was "#1 pick potential"

Talka

ESPN.com keeps saying Baylor should jump Stanford in the BCS rankings.

#5 team beats the #3 team, and they get jumped by a #6 team beating a #10 team?

I know Stanford has an ugly loss, but they also have five wins over ranked opponents: #3, #9, #15, #23 and #25. Baylor's only win over a ranked opponent is over a #10.

Lonestar

ESPN.com keeps saying Baylor should jump Stanford in the BCS rankings.

#5 team beats the #3 team, and they get jumped by a #6 team beating a #10 team?

I know Stanford has an ugly loss, but they also have five wins over ranked opponents: #3, #9, #15, #23 and #25. Baylor's only win over a ranked opponent is over a #10.

A horrible #10. OU was about 10 spots too high. I fear a 2 loss LSU 100 times more than a 1 loss OU.

Meier

Winston's odds got better after that Miami game? Figured Petty might get in the conversation with the games he is having

Petty didn't have that great of a game against Oklahoma despite the scores. Winston's passer rating, QBR and adjusted QBR against Miami were both quite a bit higher than Petty's in his game versus Oklahoma.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Eh, you could spin it that way I suppose. Still, people will criticize Huff for crying and use the same breath to criticize DAT for smiling. There's not much objectivity to it.

Besides, can you really hate on a guy for wanting to win at something he dedicates a ton of time to and then being upset when it doesn't work out?
Dude was crying with 15 minutes left in the game. If he was crying after the game, that's a different story. Then you can talk about how emotional he became when it didn't work out, and he would be catching way, way less flack for it.

I think describing it as defeatist is pretty fair. There was plenty of time left in the game, as evidenced by Oregon's near comeback.

Jhriad

Ohio State apparently loses all big games, too, despite having the second highest number of BCS bowl wins (tied for first, if you include the vacated Sugar Bowl win).

When you're in a BCS game almost every year because the rest of your conference is garbage you have an easier road to racking up BCS wins. Just ask USC. The image problem Ohio State has is just because people can still sort of remember the Buckeyes dropping three straight from 2007-09. Time, and hopefully a good postseason showing from here on out, will fix that for you. Someone has to make the Big Ten look good. God knows it's not going to be Nebraska, Michigan, or Penn State.

When you're in a BCS game almost every year because the rest of your conference is garbage you have an easier road to racking up BCS wins. Just ask USC. The image problem Ohio State has is just because people can still sort of remember the Buckeyes dropping three straight from 2007-09. Time, and hopefully a good postseason showing from here on out, will fix that for you. Someone has to make the Big Ten look good. God knows it's not going to be Nebraska, Michigan, or Penn State.

The b1g was actually pretty good in the mid 2000s when we went on our run

Kevtones

I'm still in shock about how badly that went. Oregon couldn't have played any worse and they only lost by 6. Again, coaching.

Still it shows how the transitive property doesn't work and those saying this 'proves' Oregon couldn't hang with FSU/Bama are silly.

Also, Oregon is fine in big games, they've just lost some crucial ones and only ones against top-flight competition. They haven't lost to anyone outside of the Top 10 in the last 4 years. They've also beat some very good teams along the way.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

After the game is over? No. When there is still a quarter to play? Yes.

I was thinking to myself Oregon did the same sh1t when they played UCLA. Except we couldn't score for crap the first 3 quarters. Stanford took notes!!

E: Texans should sign the Stanford kicker!!!!

I'm still in shock about how badly that went. Oregon couldn't have played any worse and they only lost by 6. Again, coaching.

Still it shows how the transitive property doesn't work and those saying this 'proves' Oregon couldn't hang with FSU/Bama are silly.

Also, Oregon is fine in big games, they've just lost some crucial ones and only ones against top-flight competition. They haven't lost to anyone outside of the Top 10 in the last 4 years. They've also beat some very good teams along the way.

They lose against the same type of teams every single year.

Kevtones

Josh Huff's mom tried to kill him as a teenager and is an emotional guy as evidenced:

But an important seed was planted that day in Frost's office, one that would help keep Huff rooted in Eugene.

"He told me he loved me like a son," Huff says, his lip quivering.

It pierced Huff deeply, breaking through his brash and standoffish facade and striking the core of his needs. Now, thousands of miles from home, he had found a second father.

"Any time somebody tells you something like that ...," Huff says, trying to compose himself. "It just speaks volumes."

Huff would never make it to practice that day. He says he stayed in Frost's office, eventually finding refuge in the corner, on the floor.

"I cried the entire time they were practicing," Huff says.

When Frost returned after practice, they talked, and their foundation of trust and love grew. Frost would not comment for this story, but Huff says he taught him how to separate his mom -- his real mom -- from the mom using drugs. And he taught him how to separate his personal life from football.

The guy has lived a difficult life and isn't afraid to show his emotions.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Defense wins championships, man

Not a single one of the flash in the pan speed tempo offenses that give up a ton of points a game has ever won a BCS championship.

Oregon is the only team that fits that bill to ever even play for one.

The problem with these teams is simple: eventually your offense is going to lay an egg. Then they lose because their defense couldn't stop a Junior High team.

Kevtones

They lose against the same type of teams every single year.

You're right, there's a formula and it was on display last night. However, Oregon had to make some really untimely errors and just because team A is physical and big doesn't mean Oregon is going to wilt.

They also beat those types of teams regularly. Yes, it's evident that's the type of team that can beat Oregon but it doesn't mean they will. See KSU, Wisconsin, and Stanford under Andrew Luck.

Lonestar

I think Birmingham is consistently #1 in tv rating markets when it comes to football. Can't get enough footbaw.

BYkLfg0IUAA575z.jpg:large

Florida's Homecoming parade. Football team in a dump truck.

Yep.

also, check out the float with The Florida Goal-liners. Whatever that is.

When you're in a BCS game almost every year because the rest of your conference is garbage you have an easier road to racking up BCS wins. Just ask USC.
As bucknuticus pointed out, the B1G wasn't bad when we got the bulk of those BCS wins.

But why does that even matter? No matter how you get to a BCS game, if you win it, your regular season schedule doesn't undermine that win.

Balphon

Dude was crying with 15 minutes left in the game. If he was crying after the game, that's a different story. Then you can talk about how emotional he became when it didn't work out, and he would be catching way, way less flack for it.

I think describing it as defeatist is pretty fair. There was plenty of time left in the game, as evidenced by Oregon's near comeback.

Fair enough, but I still think it's pretty crass to jump all over him for it. Likewise, it's a little disingenuous to suggest that ragging on him isn't schadenfreude first and objective criticism second.

But hey, CFB is all about schadenfreude.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"Earlier this year, when I saw the visitors' locker room as a potential naming right, I figured it was the most appropriate opportunity I would ever have to use my name."

Mr. Fail seems like a fun guy.

Jhriad

As bucknuticus pointed out, the B1G wasn't bad when we got the bulk of those BCS wins.

But why does that even matter? No matter how you get to a BCS game, if you win it, your regular season schedule doesn't undermine that win.

I'm not trying to undermine your wins just pointing out that you had an easier road to a BCS game than folks in the two better, as a whole, conferences of the BCS period (SEC & Big 12). You can only play the folks on your schedule and do the best you can. It's not Ohio State's fault the Big Ten powers haven't been able to take that next step.

As far as the Big Ten in the period goes the only other conference to have just one team represent them in their BCS title games is the ACC and, like the Big Ten, the top team rarely drops far from season to season because there's not enough competition in the conference to keep them down for long. It has been Ohio State and then a step or two below them the "perennial" powers of Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin. Throughout that period Wisconsin is probably the second best team and even they had a long stretch of 3+ loss seasons. The Big Ten, with Michigan failing to get to the next level for so long, has become Ohio State and a few 'others.'

As a whole the Big Ten in the BCS period has been coasting on the reputation Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State built but only Ohio State has been consistently living up to that reputation. Pretty similar to the story of Nebraska in the BCS period really.

Lonestar

Now time for tOSU fans to travel to a few FSU games. Baylor games if needed. One by one until tOSU can solidify a bid

It's all about Alabama and Baylor losing, FSU's on a 2 Bye Month break until January.

Might need to have Stanford lose again. I know that loss is there, it should keep them out, but damn, they were 5th before beating Oregon...

Lonestar

Baylor/Stanford wont jump us.

Computer's hate you. The difference between #3 and #4 in the human polls, isn't an impenetrable wall to break. The only large margin is being #1 in the human polls.

Since I love schadenfreude, reading through Oregon's game topic, and came across this early hope of stopping Stanford's offense, after giving up the 1st TD (the drive that had the 47 yard pass).

douglast
STOP THE 47 YARDER, MAKE THEM DO 3 YARDS ALL THE WAY DOWN THE FIELD

Jaseface
HEY, THAT'D BE A GREAT START.

low and behold, they went and did exactly that. EXACTLY THAT.

Also, I've now manage to spell schadenfreude correctly without spellcheck!

We have a champ game unlike the B1G against a likely 1 loss MSU team. It would keep us above them.

Well Baylor would be playing Texas the same day as the B1G championship game. That could be a very big game if they both go into it undefeated in Big 12 play. A defacto Big12 championship game if you will

Top Bottom