• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The thing is Meggs isn't a "good ole boy" lawyer and he certainly doesn't subscribe to jock culture. Ten years ago he filed sexual battery charges against FSU defensive lineman Travis Johnson who allegedly forced himself on a female student at an off-campus apartment. The evidence against him was shoddy but Meggs took it to trial anyway. An all-woman jury found him not guilty in less than 30 minutes of deliberation.

Maybe Meggs is just wiser about brining sexual assault cases to trial when the evidence isn't overwhelming. You're right though, his behavior at the press conference wasn't appropriate.

*chuckle

impirius

Thanks, Richie from Augusta!
Credit where it’s due

Spurrier mentioned that during his last call-in show, a caller (“Richie from Augusta”) suggested that Clemson’s defensive backs would bite on a hard play-action call, leaving the middle of the field wide-open. Spurrier said he went back and looked at it, and Richie was right, and that he installed a few plays for that.

Richie called in to get his thanks personally. Spurrier promised to send him an autographed ball from the just-released “5-peat” brand.

carolina.gif

andycapps

Pfff first drive, hes got the SEC background. First play!

Haha the Florida, Bama, and LSU background.. Though in SEC news..

Tennessee is at 33 commitments so far for 2014. They only have 30 scholarships to offer. And they're still recruiting and looking to sign more. So looks like Butch Jones and UT-lite are joining Bama in the grayshirting side of things.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh that is delicious. Spurrier needs to never retire. His drive to destroy rivals is unparalleled.
Seriously? You'd think if his drive to destroy his rivals was unparalleled someone on his own staff would have noticed this and they'd already have implemented a couple of plays to take advantage of Clempson's tendencies.

cdyhybrid

Seriously? You'd think if his drive to destroy his rivals was unparalleled someone on his own staff would have noticed this and they'd already have implemented a couple of plays to take advantage of Clempson's tendencies.

Maybe they did already notice this and he's just throwing the fan a bone. A tendency to bite on PA wouldn't be something any decent coaching staff would miss, I would think.

pxleyes

Banned

You know he already knew. Like cdyhybrid said, he was probably throwing the fan a bone. Spurrier is pretty good with fans.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You know he already knew.
Bullshit. Spurrier spends more time now on the golf course than in the film room. He is the living embodiment of not giving a fuck, but he's still better than 90% of the coaches out there who still do give a fuck.

So Joe Jamil gave an interview, aka the greatest trial lawyer and one of the moneybags at UT: http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/hanging-with-joe-jamail-in-his-DKR-skybox?fullpage=1

While I agree that he basically told Rick Perry to fuck off and is threatening to impeach him if he tries to take our Bill Powers, his last quote is amazing.

In regards to fans wanting to fire Mack Brown:

I don’t know who the hell those f—ing crybabies on the Internet are. Could be Aggies or the Taliban, for all I know. Or f—ing al Qaeda. Because every real UT fan is proud of this team and the way they’ve turned their season around.

So, now this is the banner on Shaggy Bevo's football forum:

qkPrxWc.jpg

Lonestar

So Joe Jamil gave an interview, aka the greatest trial lawyer and one of the moneybags at UT: http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/hanging-with-joe-jamail-in-his-DKR-skybox?fullpage=1

While I agree that he basically told Rick Perry to fuck off and is threatening to impeach him if he tries to take our Bill Powers, his last quote is amazing.

In regards to fans wanting to fire Mack Brown:

So, now this is the banner on Shaggy Bevo's football forum:

qkPrxWc.jpg

Can give him one of these:
8knRayb.gif

Really just posted because I laughed

Subitai

GAF Pick'em Week 15 Games

(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 10

Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State by 7
UCF @ SMU by 4
Marshall @ Rice by 4
Texas @ Baylor by 10
Missouri vs. Auburn by 4
South Florida @ Rutgers by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4
Duke vs. Florida State by 17
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 4
Utah State @ Fresno State by 4

Personal Bonus Pick!

Real Salt Lake 1-2 Sporting Kansas City

cdyhybrid

Stolen from a UW board, who in turn stole it from a USC board:

Some USC Poster said:
Let's Recap Where We're At
1. We pass on CP
2. We get Sark
3. Coach O resigns
4. Sark costs us 1.5 mil buyout
5. Haden hires Sark thinking his DC guru and recruiting guru are a slam dunk, but they will cost additional 1.5 mil buyout
6. Sark hires his rb coach from UW to coach what position?
7. UW hires Coach Pete
8. Rumor spreads that Lupoi won't pass SC compliance because of recruiting violation while at Cal (nice vetting PH)
9. Wilcox will either get Boise job or end up back at UW
10. There are 9 days left in this open recuiting period. Who is our recruiting cord?

cdyhybrid

They're like the Raiders man. They need to be competitive so their inevitable let down loss will be that more satisfying. If they lose all the time then...what sadistic pleasure can we derive from that?

Deriving joy from an eternally-awful rival sounds like the definition of sadistic pleasure ;)

Edit: Notre Dame to the Pinstripe Bowl. I'm sure there's a huge alumni base in NYC.

Lonestar

Deriving joy from an eternally-awful rival sounds like the definition of sadistic pleasure ;)

Edit: Notre Dame to the Pinstripe Bowl. I'm sure there's a huge alumni base in NYC.

It's fueled the SEC for a couple decades.

Lonestar

Our decade of suck gave Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU much pleasure, as Tennessee's Eternal suck has given us and Florida much pleasure.

Shame Auburn won't take the hint and stay in 3-9 town...

Kevtones

Maybe Sark culture will work in SoCal. Who knows?

Real question is whether Peterson will keep Wilcox? They were together in BSU (remember the Blount punch game where Oregon didn't have a first down in the first half of Chip Kelly's first game?).

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 14
UCF @ SMU by 14
Marshall @ Rice by 17
Texas @ Baylor by 13
Missouri vs. Auburn by 7
South Florida @ Rutgers by 7
Stanford @ Arizona State by 3
Duke vs. Florida State by 3 BCS CHAOS! BELIEVE
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 7 BCS CHAOS! BELIEVE
Utah State @ Fresno State by 7

Lonestar

(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by 14
UCF @ SMU by 14
Marshall @ Rice by 17
Texas @ Baylor by 13
Missouri vs. Auburn by 7
Stanford @ Arizona State by 3
Duke vs. Florida State by 3 BCS CHAOS! BELIEVE
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 7 BCS CHAOS! BELIEVE

If you get those 2 games right, you should be awarded 50 points. And naming rights for the offseason, as well as a copy of Starbound.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Don't forget firing your coach after he lost to the best team in the conference.

He may have been fired after the Arizona State game, but it's not like we were coming off of a national championship season and he got fired after one loss. He was fired for the entire season before and the fact that we were lucky to have any wins at all going into that game. Kiffin should have been gone after the Sun Bowl last year. He had no control over the team and seemingly no interest in his job. I wonder just what in the hell happened after that 10-2 season.

I think that people are shitting on Sark way too hard. Let's see what he can do with this team, especially after the sanctions are over two seasons from now.

cdyhybrid

He may have been fired after the Arizona State game, but it's not like we were coming off of a national championship season and he got fired after one loss. He was fired for the entire season before and the fact that we were lucky to have any wins at all going into that game. Kiffin should have been gone after the Sun Bowl last year. He had no control over the team and seemingly no interest in his job. I wonder just what in the hell happened after that 10-2 season.

I think that people are shitting on Sark way too hard. Let's see what he can do with this team, especially after the sanctions are over two seasons from now.

You guys will recruit well, I know that. But USC always recruits well.

Go NIU huskies.

Go all Huskies!

Meier

I just switched to Verizon, which means I've got LHN now! This thing is fucking awesome.

It actually is a pretty impressive network. During the games they show other angles and stuff too. Can't say I've watched it much since I'm really not hugely invested in UT, but if you're a diehard fan, it's amazing I'm sure. They have like 6 hours of pre-game coverage. :lol

Karakand

As the only coach in the Pac-3289204398 without a 9 win season, I agree that people are being way to hard on the hire. I know we're all rooting for Haden the God of Blunder to stay the course on this one.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hell, he might even be an upgrade over Kiffikins. It wouldn't be shocking if he was.

It's just... the hire turned out pretty well for everyone else. :p

I basically see him as a souped-up Kiffin without the attitude. As the aforementioned 10-2 season showed, Kiffin had the potential to be a pretty damn good coach. To be basically an overtime fumble away from going 11-1 with a severely depleted roster at a time when Stanford and Oregon were at their peak isn't anything to sneeze at. It's his personality and arrogance and off the field bullshit that caused him to collapse. Sark won't be bringing that shit with him, hopefully. It's important to remember that he was basically hand picked by Carrol to be his successor. The reason Sark left for UW in the first place is because Mike Garret wouldn't guarantee him the job, which is understandable to an extent.

It is definitely frustrating to see a pretty good hire for us turn into an early Christmas for two already-good Pac 12 rivals, I'll give you that.

Lonestar

Still comes back to "USC expected way too many wins from Kiffin, while he's coaching a probation-hampered team"

If you were gonna shitcan the probation coach for failing to overcome it, you better hit a homerun hire.

cdyhybrid

I basically see him as a souped-up Kiffin without the attitude. As the aforementioned 10-2 season showed, Kiffin had the potential to be a pretty damn good coach. To be basically an overtime fumble away from going 11-1 with a severely depleted roster at a time when Stanford and Oregon were at their peak isn't anything to sneeze at. It's his personality and arrogance and off the field bullshit that caused him to collapse. Sark won't be bringing that shit with him, hopefully. It's important to remember that he was basically hand picked by Carrol to be his successor. The reason Sark left for UW in the first place is because Mike Garret wouldn't guarantee him the job, which is understandable to an extent.

It is definitely frustrating to see a pretty good hire for us turn into an early Christmas for two already-good Pac 12 rivals, I'll give you that.

One thing Sark is bringing with him is his taste for sorority girls and waitresses at nearby restaurants.

bachikarn

(THU) Louisville @ Cincinnati by too late
(FRI) Bowling Green vs. Northern Illinois by too late
UCF @ SMU by 7
Marshall @ Rice by 7
Texas @ Baylor by 7
Missouri vs. Auburn by 4
Stanford @ Arizona State by 4
Duke vs. Florida State by 21
Ohio State vs. Michigan State by 4

pxleyes

Banned
Bullshit. Spurrier spends more time now on the golf course than in the film room. He is the living embodiment of not giving a fuck, but he's still better than 90% of the coaches out there who still do give a fuck.
Hahaha, you have a point about the golf thing. He may not have seen the flaw in clemson's defense, but he does have a staff behind him who does give a shit. Clearly he's doing ebough to get by, even of it is 'just enough'.

squicken

Malzahn with a contract extension. God bless the University of Texas

@bmarcello: Auburn's Gus Malzahn agrees to new six-year deal worth $3.85 million next year with $250K increase each subsequent year.

If NIU loses, who is picking up that extra BCS slot?
Assuming no upsets, there are 7 clinched:

FSU
OSU
SEC Champ
Bama
UCF
Stanford
Okie St

Only eligible schools for last 3 are Clemson, Baylor, MSU, Oregon, ASU, and maybe UCLA.

Edit: If I had to guess, I'd say the bowls would pick MSU, Oregon, and Clemson from those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom