• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 15| Where rankings are made up & SEC losses don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm not saying my wife and I own UCF gear...but....
I have a feeling you're going to get a knock on the door in the middle of the night, and the Gata Fanbase Police Department is going to forcibly relieve your family of all your jorts.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Great get for Washington in theory. I'm incredibly interested in seeing what happens when a game against a team like Oregon State or UW isn't circled in red on Petersen's calendar for an entire year, but is instead right in the middle of games against teams like Stanford, Oregon, USC, and UCLA.

Draxal

From what I heard, the child with special needs is a huge huge part of it.

The only people that ruined the conference are the dumbshit presidents who are the ones who actually make the decisions.

The conference was done well before Aresco got here.

Aresco got too much shit, the real dagger in the conference is when the catholic seven tried to force Nova football down everybody's throat.

squicken

That couldn't have gone better for UW, though I have no idea how Petersen can recruit now that he is at a bigger school.

Aresco got too much shit, the real dagger in the conference is when the catholic seven tried to force Nova football down everybody's throat.
The history of Big East football is bookended by the stupidity of the Catholic schools: Refusing to let Penn St. in in the beginning and trying to force feed the conference Villanova in the end.

That was it. And they had help from certain football schools like USF as they wanted to block UCF so bad, they would have rather propped up Nova. USF failed to realize what a strong rivalry between the schools could have done over time. Short term thinking and nothing more....

Oh well, shit happens. Funny we got in the BCS our first and only year and USF squandered their opportunities since getting in originally over us.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess we'll finally see how he can coach at a big time school/conference, and we'll see if Boise can remotely hold onto "the magic"

Guess Nuss stays at Alabama for now.

KingGondo

Banned
F02B06AF-FDBF-4F54-B909-A3ABB8C2762B_zpszku7dcex.jpg

It's gonna be cold tomorrow.

pxleyes

Banned
I have a feeling you're going to get a knock on the door in the middle of the night, and the Gata Fanbase Police Department is going to forcibly relieve your family of all your jorts.

Only the wife owns those.

hey hey hey. I've explained this. She is going there now, will have a BSN from UCF come February. Tons of my family, including my mom, have degrees from UCF. I'm legit!

Balphon

Only the wife owns those.

hey hey hey. I've explained this. She is going there now, will have a BSN from UCF come February. Tons of my family, including my mom, have degrees from UCF. I'm legit!

I buy mre's connection to NCSU more than this. For shame.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
As a Boise guy, I'm pretty bummed. I understand why he's moving on, but he did a lot of great stuff for the team, the school and the city.

Lonestar

There's going to be Dog drawings all over the field.

Think of this, but as a Football Field:
Moon-Wolves-Collage-T-Shirt_B1.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Cowherd said there's news of Saban signing a giant contract at bama coming soon

That's a weird way to spell Texas.

I hope it has a stipulation in it that he has to pay it all back if he attempts to have a freshman kick a 55+ yard field goal with 1 second left in a tie game against your rival while forgetting to remind your team to pay any sort of attention to the possibility that the kick might be short and that the rules allow the other team to run the ball back.

Draxal

The history of Big East football is bookended by the stupidity of the Catholic schools: Refusing to let Penn St. in in the beginning and trying to force feed the conference Villanova in the end.

They also fucked VTech pretty badly in the beginning (and to a lesser extent you guys and Rutgers), so Vtech wanted out as soon as possible.

That was it. And they had help from certain football schools like USF as they wanted to block UCF so bad, they would have rather propped up Nova. USF failed to realize what a strong rivalry between the schools could have done over time. Short term thinking and nothing more....

Oh well, shit happens. Funny we got in the BCS our first and only year and USF squandered their opportunities since getting in originally over us.

Ville/USF/Cinci seemed to vote as a block with the basketball schools, USF for the reason you mentioned.

It's insane that the conference had all three commisioners come from one school (and not even the most important catholic seven school) until the very end.

Lonestar

That's a weird way to spell Texas.

I hope it has a stipulation in it that he has to pay it all back if he attempts to have a freshman kick a 55+ yard field goal with 1 second left in a tie game against your rival while forgetting to remind your team to pay any sort of attention to the possibility that the kick might be short and that the rules allow the other team to run the ball back.

This is a buyout that I can get behind!

Draxal

wow never thought Chris Peterson was going to leave Boise St.

Talk all year was that he was leaving, he just had to wait for the right job to open up (UDUB is pretty much the perfect fit for him due to his circumstances).

Yes.

Sure, but he's been floated for every Pac-12 job for years now.

Nah it wasn't, he's been rumored to bounce the entire year. Boise is not the Boise of a couple years ago, and people were saying its finally time he had to change.

Lonestar

So, pretty much Pat Haden got fuuuuuuuuuuuucked, right?

Still has Mora in town, and increased UW's fortunes.

squicken

So, pretty much Pat Haden got fuuuuuuuuuuuucked, right?

Still has Mora in town, and increased UW's fortunes.

I read something that Haden and Petersen had different ideas about how to run the program. Not really sure what that means. It's not like the NFL where you have to make hard choices. Recruit good players at every position seems like something everyone could get behind

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Yes.

Sure, but he's been floated for every Pac-12 job for years now.

But for years it's been a lot of "X school is interested in Petersen" while this time there has seemed to be more of "Petersen is interested in Washington."

That was me, but Saban is 62. I'd be wary he'd take an NFL job for a pay check and wouldn't really be invested

He would be working with paid professionals as opposed to kids. I would think he would prefer that environment, but his success has come on the college level. He might get an offer to coach the Texans, as i'm sure many coaches will, but you're right he probably wouldn't accept an offer for the NFL at this point in his career.

I remember a few years ago, when Petersen was thought to be Mack Brown's successor at UT.

Yeah, proposed successors come and go quite often at UT.

Lonestar

Ok what's the story here.

it's something going on at an Arizona State game. But haven't seen an actual story.

He would be working with paid professionals as opposed to kids. I would think he would prefer that environment, but his success has come on the college level. He might get an offer to coach the Texans, as i'm sure many coaches will, but you're right he probably wouldn't accept an offer for the NFL at this point in his career.

I doubt he'd go back to the NFL, but just for shits and giggles, Saban had a better record in his 2 years, than Carroll had in his 1st 2 years in Seattle.

Seeing a bit more on the rumor of a new contract for Saban. 5 years $40 mill. $8 mill a year. Saxton did his job, alright...

@TiderInsider now confirming that Nick Saban's new contract has been agreed upon with Bama.

cdyhybrid

I read something that Haden and Petersen had different ideas about how to run the program. Not really sure what that means. It's not like the NFL where you have to make hard choices. Recruit good players at every position seems like something everyone could get behind

USC is the biggest show in town in LA as far as football goes. Media, boosters, etc. all different from anywhere else in the conference.

I think Petersen is definitely an upgrade over Sark, but I want to see his assistants before I start jumping for joy.

andycapps

ERY, but you misspelled the first part.

I love when Spurrier trolls people:

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll, so he’ll have some small say in who gets the top two spots in the BCS title game. The Coaches Poll comprises one-third of the BCS formula, with the Harris Poll and computer rankings the other two factors. Spurrier declined to reveal his vote, saying he’ll wait until it’s made public next week. He did offer one insight this week.

“You know what I think is interesting? Everybody is picking on Ohio State. Their schedule was ranked tougher than FSU’s,” Spurrier told The Post and Courier. “Did you know that? Everybody’s picking on how Ohio State hasn’t played anybody. I said, ‘Well, what about FSU?’ They beat Clemson, and that’s about it.”

In fact, Ohio State has the 61st toughest strength of schedule, five spots higher than Florida State’s in Jeff Sagarin’s computer rankings. The Sagarin rankings are one of six computer rankings that enter the BCS formula.

Both schedule strengths pale compared to the three SEC teams that fill out the top 5.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy to have Petersen in the PAC12! Already looking forward to the Apple Cup next year! Leach vs Petersen. Mmmmm.

Ataraxia

I don't know how many of you heard or watched the State attorney's press conference today, but I was embarrassed watching it. The state attorney acted like the typical good ole boy lawyer, dismissed questions from female journalists, and was reluctant to express his opinion on anything.

I am in no way speaking about Jameis Winston or the accuser; my complaint is with the jock-culture on display at what should have been a serious event.

The thing is Meggs isn't a "good ole boy" lawyer and he certainly doesn't subscribe to jock culture. Ten years ago he filed sexual battery charges against FSU defensive lineman Travis Johnson who allegedly forced himself on a female student at an off-campus apartment. The evidence against him was shoddy but Meggs took it to trial anyway. An all-woman jury found him not guilty in less than 30 minutes of deliberation.

Maybe Meggs is just wiser about brining sexual assault cases to trial when the evidence isn't overwhelming. You're right though, his behavior at the press conference wasn't appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom