• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 2| - Directional schools: Pay to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, has Urban Meyer turned the OSU/Michigan rivalry into one of true hate yet? The BYU/Utah rivalry was always fierce, but players and fans had fun with it. Coaches would often appear in ads together, but after Urban came in, he ruined the whole thing entirely. He introduced disrespect and disdain into the mix and now I just hate the whole rivalry week because it's so freaking mean spirited. Now you can't discuss either team without someone going to personal insults. Thanks, Urban!

Stupid Ute fans still say "the team down south" instead of BYU. It sounds so stupid and cultish. One of Meyer's dumber additions to the rivalry.

Rivalry has always been one of true hate, it got that way in the Bo/Woody Years. Each team going on a run (UM in the 90s and OSU in the 2000s) helped along it as well.

The team down south comes from Woody, always referred to UM as the team up north. Urbz idolizes Woody.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
sly3.gif

Draxal

Rivalry has always been one of true hate, it got that way in the Bo/Woody Years. Each team going on a run (UM in the 90s and OSU in the 2000s) helped along it as well.

The team down south comes from Woody, always referred to UM as the team up north. Urbz idolizes Woody.

Don't they also call u guys Ohio?

My picks.

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 3
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 14
Cincinnati @ Illinois by17
Oregon @ Virginia by7
South Carolina @ Georgia by 7
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 14
Navy @ Indiana by 3
Texas @ BYU by 3
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 10
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 14
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 10

THAT CLEMPSON PLAYER KNEW WHAT HE WAS GETTING HIMSELF INTO WHEN HE PICKED OFF THAT BALL!

At least it's better than Joepa.

mre just posted the gif of the year.

Picks?

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 10
Florida @ Miami by 12
South Florida @ Michigan State by 20
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 10
Oregon @ Virginia by 4
South Carolina @ Georgia by 4
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 7
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 14
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 10
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 4

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 5
Florida @ Miami by 6
South Florida @ Michigan State by 21
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 8
Oregon @ Virginia by 17
South Carolina @ Georgia by 10
Navy @ Indiana by 10
Texas @ BYU by 13
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 21
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 13
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 6

I feel pretty good about making 12th last week!

cdyhybrid

Thats Hoke's cute little thing he started, theres already a school named Ohio so its kinda weird....

It also seems to piss of Ohio students/fans more than us so theres that too.

That Odul guy keeps popping his head up in CFB OT topics, but never here.

It's scary in here.

Thats Hoke's cute little thing he started, theres already a school named Ohio so its kinda weird....

It also seems to piss of Ohio students/fans more than us so theres that too.

That Odul guy keeps popping his head up in CFB OT topics, but never here.

He stopped posting after Michigan State lost to Rutgers nearly a decade ago. The John L. Smith years!

pxleyes

Banned
College Bars of the Top 25

For the record there is no such thing as a "best" bar in South Bend, IN. The Backer is the most disgusting establishment I've ever been in, which I guess is the draw for some people.
The Swamp is such an obvious and horrible pick. Overpriced and all just so you can be seen by passers by. Get your ass to Salty Dog Saloon, The Wetlands at Swamp Head, or Brass Taps on Archer.

andycapps

College Bars of the Top 25

For the record there is no such thing as a "best" bar in South Bend, IN. The Backer is the most disgusting establishment I've ever been in, which I guess is the draw for some people.

5. Georgia
Best Bar: The Globe
A block from North Campus, The Globe is the kinda place Shakespeare accccccctually would've wanted to hang out: brass bar, 14 taps, a ridiculous bottle list, rocking chairs, and... wait, rocking chairs???

It's a good one, there's so many that you could take your pick from. It also depends on if you're a college student or not. If you're older/alumni, go to Trappeze.

mre

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 6
Florida @ Miami by 6
South Florida @ Michigan State by 23
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 17
Oregon @ Virginia by 23
Navy @ Indiana by 14
Texas @ BYU by 4
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 10

Don't they also call u guys Ohio?

We play in Ohio Stadium, our band does Script Ohio, we shout O-H-I-O constantly, and we even sued Ohio University over the name "Ohio" back in the 90s (which was dumb) - and yet somehow calling us "Ohio" is supposed to be an insult.

Hoke's a dumbass.

mre

We play in Ohio Stadium, our band does Script Ohio, we shout O-H-I-O constantly, and we even sued Ohio University over the name "Ohio" back in the 90s (which was dumb) - and yet somehow calling us "Ohio" is supposed to be an insult.

Hoke's a dumbass.
I'm sure that went well. :jnc

I'm sure that went well. :jnc

It's just one of many reasons why Ohio U people hate us - and probably one of the more justifiable reasons.

What's funny is that I don't know anyone in the state that calls Ohio University "Ohio." It's always "Ohio U" or "O.U." Whenever people call them Ohio on TV it just sounds weird.

Schlep

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 7
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 21
Oregon @ Virginia by 24
Navy @ Indiana by 7
Texas @ BYU by 17
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 28
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 3

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 7
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 4
Oregon @ Virginia by 14
South Carolina @ Georgia by 4
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 4
Navy @ Indiana by 7
Texas @ BYU by 4
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 7
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 7
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 4

Schlep

For anyone who likes shows like All-Access on ESPNU, there's a new series that follows North Texas called 'Beyond the Green'. First episode starts in about an hour on Fox College Sports Central. It'll be on tomorrow in HD on Fox Sports Southwest. Not sure why no carriers have FCS HD channels.

Here's a sample from the pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzyF_a_QlE

Anyone who's followed Iowa State and was a fan of Dan McCarney should definitely watch.

Hoke's a dumbass.

I agree it's pretty lame, but I'd guess it's a play on your stupid "THE" stuff. Just spitballing.

Meier

I don't really follow recruiting these days since I killed my Warchant sub ages ago, but what a weird year for top players. ESPN has 4 guys from Virginia in the top 10 as well as another 3 players from Louisiana. Both states produce quality but that's a big number for both, especially Virginia. EJ needs to get in the ear of this kid from Bayside and send him our way.

mre

I don't really follow recruiting these days since I killed my Warchant sub ages ago, but what a weird year for top players. ESPN has 4 guys from Virginia in the top 10 as well as another 3 players from Louisiana. Both states produce quality but that's a big number for both, especially Virginia. EJ needs to get in the ear of this kid from Bayside and send him our way.
Coincidentally, was this around the same time they stopped posting so many shirtless pics of recruits?

KingGondo

Banned
Maybe at sunset or sunrise?
Nope. It's like a mile from the stadium.

Listicles are one of the worst things to come from the Internet.

There aren't that many great bars in Stillwater, but Joe's is pretty reviled by those who have actually lived there. Shitty beer selection, gross food, and it's always super-busy even though it sucks.

It's actually a neat building and set-up, but I never go there if I have any say in the matter.

Draconian

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 17
Florida @ Miami by 7
South Florida @ Michigan State by 20
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 14
Oregon @ Virginia by 30
South Carolina @ Georgia by 3
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 9
Navy @ Indiana by 3
Texas @ BYU by 6
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 20
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 11

I agree it's pretty lame, but I'd guess it's a play on your stupid "THE" stuff. Just spitballing.

I've always viewed the "The" stuff as a diss at all of the other public schools in Ohio. Basically, we're saying we're the preeminent public university in the state - which we are - and Ohio U, Miami, Cincinnati, et al. are just sitting in our shadow.

I'm not sure how it got twisted into this nationwide sign of Ohio State hubris. I mean, I say The Ohio State University, but I'm not one of those folks who says Theeeee Ohio State University. I can see how that's irritating.

So.. Michigan fans are pretty torn up about Notre Dame canceling the series, huh? I wasn't expecting that.

It's a cool game. I'm more jazzed this week's game gets to be "the last at the Big House" for 10 or 20 years or whatever it winds up being. Should make for a bitchin' atmosphere. Otherwise I can't say I really care either way.

*NOTE: I missed last week so I'm not on the list yet*

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 7
South Florida @ Michigan State by 7
Oregon @ Virginia by 10
South Carolina @ Georgia by 10
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 10
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 7
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 4
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 7
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 7

andycapps

I've always viewed the "The" stuff as a diss at all of the other public schools in Ohio. Basically, we're saying we're the preeminent public university in the state - which we are - and Ohio U, Miami, Cincinnati, et al. are just sitting in our shadow.

I'm not sure how it got twisted into this nationwide sign of Ohio State hubris. I mean, I say The Ohio State University, but I'm not one of those folks who says Theeeee Ohio State University. I can see how that's irritating.
I could see how that would be the case. For UGA, we have The University of Georgia but you'll seldom see us refer to it as that. We're the flagship university and state school so nobody confuses us with Georgia Tech, or Southern, or State.

For us, we don't have to remind the others that they're in our shadow because we know it and they know it.

mre

I reviewed some documents for a case and came across the resume for some exec. He listed his undergrad school as "The Ohio State University." Who does that?

Edit: Pretty much any school whose name starts with "University" uses "the." Only OSU(C) has made a big deal about it. You just can't say "I go to University of Alabama" or "I go to University of California" without sounding like a mouth-breather who couldn't even get into THE University of Phoenix.

I reviewed some documents for a case and came across the resume for some exec. He listed his undergrad school as "The Ohio State University." Who does that?

It's the legal name of the school. That's how I put it on my resume. And I'm not trying to be cute or anything when I do it.

Tamanon

Banned

If "The" is the legal name, then it's time to start an International Waters "Ohio State University" diploma mill.

:jnc

Don't kid yourself. On some level, maybe deep down, you are.

Honestly, it's just second nature at this point. Unless you happen to be interviewing with some Miami or Kent State asshole with an ax to grind, it's a non-issue here. Nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom