• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 2| - Directional schools: Pay to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the previous year as a barometer for how two teams will do this year (who both have different starting qbs than last year too) is about as asinine as preseason polls.

Hm. Well you asked: "ND didn't get much better than going undefeated in the regular season?"; so seems to me the question on the table was how much better is ND than last season, which would require looking back at last season.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
went to see how Peyton did for my FF league.

7 touchdown passes is why I'm bringing it up here. Good Lawd, that's alot of points :lolol

Hm. Well you asked: "ND didn't get much better than going undefeated in the regular season?"; so seems to me the question on the table was how much better is ND than last season, which would require looking back at last season.

I was responding to the original point about looking at how they compare to last year. I think the upside on a team that went 12-0 during the regular season and didn't play consistently well is worth looking at. The whole statement of "by all accounts they aren't any better than last year" is silly given their record. I still think, however, that previous years aren't a good barometer of how a team will do any given year on any given Saturday and I should have made that point originally.

Garryk

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 6
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 14
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 18
Oregon @ Virginia by 24
South Carolina @ Georgia by 7
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 11
Navy @ Indiana by 6
Texas @ BYU by 14
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 18
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 11
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 9

andycapps

I dont know what you mean, haha.

I picked Miami because they are cooler than Florida - "The U" man.
South Carolina will beat Georgia because Aaron Murray can't win against decent opposition.
Michigan will win because they have momentum of an improving program and at home. I didn't rate ND last year, and from all reports, they havent gotten much better, if at all.

Eh, if he can't win, it's because his offensive line sucks. He passed for 330 yards last week and they scored 35 points. Their young defense gave up 38, that's not his fault. It's not his fault he got blindsided by an unblocked defensive end and coughed up the ball, which led to a short TD for Clemson. He did miss a linebacker completely and throw that interception, and he was throwing a little short all day, but I can't blame him since he was running for his life most of the night. He's not good when he's pressured, so the key this week will be if his offensive line can progress past the first grade (Richt's words about this last week, not mine). Also key will be Josh Harvey-Clemons being back playing the star position and being able to stay on the field in base and nickel packages. Corey Moore back at strong safety is also a good thing for our defense.

Honestly, I'm still not sure who I'm going to pick. Georgia can win and has more talented skill position players, but the question marks are on our lines. I expect them to do what LSU did last year and what UNC did last week to Clowney. Run away from him, bring tight end, fullback, or running back in to help block him.. Allow him to rush the QB and then setup screen behind him, etc. But Spurrier will know that's the plan so the other players on their D will be the real key, to me.

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 7
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 11
Oregon @ Virginia by 27
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 13
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 14
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 20
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 7
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 4

- Via With Leather
xpzhT6U.jpg

Draxal

Not that often, but it's probably the only way FIU is ever going to make the national news.

Fighting and losing streaks.

FIU kinda got famous for firing their head coach in a power struggle with the AD and he parleyed into getting a better paying (at least I think it is) position as Bamas oline coach.

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 6
Florida @ Miami by 12
South Florida @ Michigan State by 17
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 3
Oregon @ Virginia by 20
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 10
Navy @ Indiana by 6
Texas @ BYU by 14
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 17
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 10
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 3

andycapps

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 4
South Florida @ Michigan State by 21
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 10
Oregon @ Virginia by 24
South Carolina @ Georgia by 4
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 12
Navy @ Indiana by 12
Texas @ BYU by 7
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 21
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 10

Does a win this weekend = The U is "back"? I say no.

Florida has too many questions and too many people saying they're overrated even at #12. Besides, for the U to be truly "back," I'd argue that suggests top five.

Now if you wipe the fucking floor with Florida, that will turn some heads, certainly.

razielim

Hopefully the Husker D keeps improving and gives up under 602 yds to the vaunted Southern Miss!

GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 8
Florida @ Miami by 8
South Florida @ Michigan State by 8
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 8
Oregon @ Virginia by 22
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 10
Navy @ Indiana by 16
Texas @ BYU by 15
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 11
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 18
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 14

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll reserve that statement until after they beat North Carolina and Virginia.

We're 4-1 against UVA last 5 years but can't beat da U or any of the football schools ever, even in a down year. We deserve to do to the football Hurricanes what the basketball Hurricanes did to us in January, but it'll never happen.

Getting back to SiriusXM, which I brought up a couple of days ago...it turns out they're having one of their semi-frequent free previews until September 9. I've been listening to their college sports station it's still as great as I remembered it being. I'm seriously considering getting a subscription.

andycapps

Getting back to SiriusXM, which I brought up a couple of days ago...it turns out they're having one of their semi-frequent free previews until September 9. I've been listening to their college sports station it's still as great as I remembered it being. I'm seriously considering getting a subscription.

I always really like it when I get a rental and it has Sirius, but spending $15 a month for it doesn't seem worth it to me. I already pay $7.99 for Google Play Music, but I definitely get my money's worth out of that. Also have Netflix and cable, I think that's enough for me.

Meier

I always really like it when I get a rental and it has Sirius, but spending $15 a month for it doesn't seem worth it to me. I already pay $7.99 for Google Play Music, but I definitely get my money's worth out of that. Also have Netflix and cable, I think that's enough for me.
I got it for free for 3 months with my new car last year and t was really great for listening to the games in the car when going to and from DKR. They send me something every month offering me a 6-month sub for $25. Might reup for football season

If my daily comute was more than 12 minutes I would have redone mine after my free trial ended. Did enjoy the college talk station, especially in the mornings (cant stand mike and mike)

andycapps

was about to say, I don't remember that angle.

Then see the url, new trailer somewhere?

Honestly I just googled Anchorman high five and that one came up as a top result.. I know it's from Anchorman 2, but I don't know if there's a trailer out yet. I know it filmed in Atlanta somewhat recently.

Draxal

Boomer and Carton beat Mike and Mike pretty easily in their home market. Although, Mike Francesa is the king of sports talk radio.

Sorry for the late picks. I'm doing Best Man duty this weekend:

Wake Forest @ Boston College by 3
Florida @ Miami by 10
South Florida @ Michigan State by 17
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 7
Oregon @ Virginia by 28
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 3
Navy @ Indiana by 10
Texas @ BYU by 18
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 21
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 4
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 7

ND didn't get much better than going undefeated in the regular season? I'm confused by your analysis.

They scraped though a fair few of their games last season. A couple in overtime and a couple more where the difference was a field goal.

On paper, last years team would beat this years, that is what I am basing my opinion on, not the win-loss record.

Eh, if he can't win, it's because his offensive line sucks. He passed for 330 yards last week and they scored 35 points. Their young defense gave up 38, that's not his fault. It's not his fault he got blindsided by an unblocked defensive end and coughed up the ball, which led to a short TD for Clemson. He did miss a linebacker completely and throw that interception, and he was throwing a little short all day, but I can't blame him since he was running for his life most of the night. He's not good when he's pressured, so the key this week will be if his offensive line can progress past the first grade (Richt's words about this last week, not mine). Also key will be Josh Harvey-Clemons being back playing the star position and being able to stay on the field in base and nickel packages. Corey Moore back at strong safety is also a good thing for our defense.

Honestly, I'm still not sure who I'm going to pick. Georgia can win and has more talented skill position players, but the question marks are on our lines. I expect them to do what LSU did last year and what UNC did last week to Clowney. Run away from him, bring tight end, fullback, or running back in to help block him.. Allow him to rush the QB and then setup screen behind him, etc. But Spurrier will know that's the plan so the other players on their D will be the real key, to me.

I picked Georgia last week but then heard Murray's record against ranked opposition was 3 wins and 16 losses or something ridiculous like that. If he isn't the problem, then his team may not be as good as everyone thinks. Either way, south Carolina defense, which is one of the best in cfb at the moment, should be too much for Georgia.

I like uga, but realistically I think south Carolina will win.

Say what you want about the football team, but our 30 For 30 is still probably the best one they have done.

I caught the end of the u one and have seen the ole miss one, both great from what i saw.

Personally, I find it reprehensible that ESPN conveniently overlooked the alleged murder of five hookers by a certain SMU player.

That pretty much ruined the whole thing for me.

Wtf! Jack the ripper murdered less!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 10
Florida @ Miami by 4
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 14
Oregon @ Virginia by 27
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 14
Navy @ Indiana by 4
Texas @ BYU by 4
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 24
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 7

I worry about that Texas game. From what I hear everybody is betting on UT but the line hasn't been moving accordingly. Last time I remember that happening was when everybody was betting on West Virginia over Tech last season and we saw how that turned out. I really want to pick Texas by 20 or so but somebody in Vegas really wants everybody to keep putting their money on UT.

andycapps

I picked Georgia last week but then heard Murray's record against ranked opposition was 3 wins and 16 losses or something ridiculous like that. If he isn't the problem, then his team may not be as good as everyone thinks. Either way, south Carolina defense, which is one of the best in cfb at the moment, should be too much for Georgia.

I like uga, but realistically I think south Carolina will win.

His record isn't great, but I'm not sure if hanging all the losses on him is appropriate. He has 4 wins against ranked teams during his time there. Which isn't great at all. If Georgia wins or loses Saturday, I don't think he's to blame. It'll come down to line play on both teams, and it'll be a close game. Most every game over the last decade between these two teams has been decided by a touchdown or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom