• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

I meant on the record to the NCAA. Like we saw in the Manziel case, even if the witness will talk to reporters, the NCAA isn't going to move unless the witness is willing to talk to the NCAA.

The brokers in the Manziel case didn't want to talk because of a Texas law that would make them vulnerable to a lawsuit from A&M.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The brokers in the Manziel case didn't want to talk because of a Texas law that would make them vulnerable to a lawsuit from A&M.
But that's complete misses my point, and merely offers an explanation as to why they didn't talk to the NCAA. It doesn't change the fact that they didn't talk to the NCAA. Who knows, maybe these players will discover some incentive to keep their mouths shut between now and whenever the NCAA knocks on their door.

tokkun

The NCAA won't do jack shit to the figthing gondos. They will, however, punish the crap out of the next small school to step out of line as a show of force.

Wait and see what the sex and drugs allegations are. The NCAA is pretty political, and those prurient issues always play loud in politics.

Also, since when is the NCAA afraid to go after big money programs?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Wait and see what the sex and drugs allegations are. The NCAA is pretty political, and those prurient issues always play loud in politics.

Also, since when is the NCAA afraid to go after big money programs?

Miami
UNC
Auburn
TAMU

All major infractions, no major sanctions.

KingGondo

Banned
The worst part about this is that the NCAA will get involved, and now the investigation will be hanging over our program for 3-5 years (even if nothing ultimately comes of it).

Sucks for recruiting, especially. Hopefully it won't hurt us too much in that area.

Schmitty

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 9
Louisville @ Kentucky by 21
UCLA @ Nebraska by 8
Fresno State @ Colorado by 4 Chitowns
Boston College @ USC by 4 There is no bigger motivator than shame
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 9
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 7
Ohio State @ California by 10
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 8 Same goes for Texas
Oregon State @ Utah by 10
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 5 No idea of each team here, I'll take home

Jeff-DSA

The worst part about this is that the NCAA will get involved, and now the investigation will be hanging over our program for 3-5 years (even if nothing ultimately comes of it).

Sucks for recruiting, especially. Hopefully it won't hurt us too much in that area.

As of late, the NCAA seems to get involved only to make things go away. See: Cam Newton, Miami, Manziel, etc.

Jhriad

But that's complete misses my point, and merely offers an explanation as to why they didn't talk to the NCAA. It doesn't change the fact that they didn't talk to the NCAA. Who knows, maybe these players will discover some incentive to keep their mouths shut between now and whenever the NCAA knocks on their door.

No, I understood your point. I was just pointing out that at least one of the reasons for the silence in the TAMU case aren't likely to be applicable in this case.

andycapps

Um. How is that telling? I'm sorry Gondo, but you sound like every other fan who's ever defended their program after this kind of thing comes out. "It's all exaggerated," "the media is out to get us," "players who just hate the program," "the NCAA can't prove anything anyway." Well, that last one turns out to be true often enough. :p

Next thing you know is that he'll be mentioning how they were scared straight.

Quake1028

You know your program is way, way, way down when you work in a place with 30+ Gator fans (compared to 4 UM fans and 2-3 FSU fans) and this week hasn't even been particularly fun. The recent failures of the program coupled with how sloppy the game was really leave me in no mood to talk any shit. Bah.

KingGondo

Banned
Um. How is that telling? I'm sorry Gondo, but you sound like every other fan who's ever defended their program after this kind of thing comes out. "It's all exaggerated," "the media is out to get us," "players who just hate the program," "the NCAA can't prove anything anyway." Well, that last one turns out to be true often enough. :p
Evans is a hack, period--and he's a known OU fan and has consistently written hatchet jobs on OSU in the past.

As soon as there were whispers about an SI piece about OSU, every OSU fan thought the same thing: "Thayer Evans."

Dohrmann himself stated that the entire genesis of the article was that Evans "heard things" and they investigated further.

I'm not saying that some of the allegations in the article aren't true, and I'm sure some of this stuff was fact-checked (but the vast majority of allegations in today's article are he said, she said). But there's a reason this article's about OSU and not any one of the dozens of football programs that allegedly do the same damn things: Thayer Evans.

tokkun

Miami
UNC
Auburn
TAMU

All major infractions, no major sanctions.

Yeah, and many of the teams that have been hit with major sanctions in the last decade have been even bigger.

USC
tOSU
Penn State
Alabama

Hell, when Miami was hit with major sanctions it was at a time when the program was a lot bigger than it is now.

So how does that prove that the NCAA is looking for small schools to go after?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The NCAA won't do jack shit to the figthing gondos. They will, however, punish the crap out of the next small school to step out of line as a show of force.

Okie Lite is at expendable level 5. Not who they want to nuke from orbit, but someone they would nuke from orbit if they needed to.

Someone has to pay for Johnny Manziel.

Draxal

Hey now, I only used the second defense, and ESPN did drone and drone on it forever, when everybody else stopped caring!

Time to continue my suck-tastic season of Pick'em! What bizzaro world is this where I'm struggling to pick the winner of Ole Miss-Texas.

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 6
Louisville @ Kentucky by 40
UCLA @ Nebraska by 7
Fresno State @ Colorado by 17
Boston College @ USC by 12
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 12
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 17
Ohio State @ California by 27
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 6
Ole Miss @ Texas by 4
Oregon State @ Utah by 4
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 11

Limedust

I was scouring ESPN for some information on how VT rebounded in their second game, and came across this interesting article.

Brown also insisted that the 40-21 loss to BYU -- in which Texas gave up an astounding 550 yards rushing -- didn't raise any pressure on his own job.

"When you lose at Texas, you're going to be bashed. I accept it," Brown said.

Diaz had a solid first season in 2011 before glaring problems emerged and players complained they often weren't lining up correctly or teammates didn't play hard every game. Brown stuck with Diaz after last year because he thought the unit played better over the last few games of the season.

Brown said Monday his entire defensive staff knew they would be on a "short leash" this season.

Brown complained Monday his defense couldn't stop BYU's rushing attack and quarterback Taysom Hill even though the Cougars only ran about four plays.

"We couldn't stop it," Brown said.

As the head coach Brown signs off on the offensive and defensive game plans devised by his coordinators every week. On Monday, he alternately suggested the game plan against BYU was both flawed or a good one undone by poor execution.

Brown dismissed any concerns that Robinson's defenses at Michigan in 2009 and 2010 ranked among the worst in the country.

"They had really bad players," Brown said.

Damn, Texas!

Brown dismissed any concerns that Robinson's defenses at Michigan in 2009 and 2010 ranked among the worst in the country.

"They had really bad players," Brown said.

Mack, it's one thing to give up 300 yards rushing to an unranked opponent. It's another thing to give up 400 yards rushing to an unranked opponent. If you're giving up 500+ yards rushing to an unranked opponent, when they purportedly "ran about four plays," I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have some serious personnel issues of your own.

You know your program is way, way, way down when you work in a place with 30+ Gator fans (compared to 4 UM fans and 2-3 FSU fans) and this week hasn't even been particularly fun. The recent failures of the program coupled with how sloppy the game was really leave me in no mood to talk any shit. Bah.

Pussy.

C'mon, blast some Miami bass, pull down your pants, and proudly display your underwear with "CANES" proudly written on your ass in the direction of your gata co workers.

I was scouring ESPN for some information on how VT rebounded in their second game, and came across this interesting article.

Damn, Texas!

Yeah, Mack is trying to sweet talk his way back, but I don't think anyone is buying his shit this time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Shit, 500 rushing yards given up to ANYONE is horrible. Not even Triple Option teams should be able to go off on you for that much.

I agree that most of the conspiracy theories are funny, but there are reasons to doubt the credibility of this article.

1) The idea for the article came from Thayer Evans, a hack who has a history of fabricating his resumé, putting forth unprovable allegations against other programs (Auburn and Texas, most notably) and with strong ties to Norman and OU boosters. Dohrmann states in the video on the article page that the investigation began when Evans "heard things."

2) The players used as sources have very little credibility, and most (if not all) of them have an axe to grind because they got kicked out of the program or got passed over in favor of other players.

Just as a reminder, the entire case against USC rested on the word of a felon and ex-con wannabe agent with an axe to grind. Interviews with key staff like McNair included completely wrong dates about key information as well as a multitude of other "mistakes" from NCAA officials doing the investigation. There's a reason the NCAA sealed those documents and is fighting in court to prevent ANYBODY from ever seeing them again.

Shit, 500 rushing yards given up to ANYONE is horrible. Not even Triple Option teams should be able to go off on you for that much.

I would put the number at 300 as being ridiculously bad. What's the opposite of hyperbole? That's what I was going for.

edit: Fun fact: the school record for rushing yards against Texas was broken in the first half.

Lonestar

I would put the number at 300 as being ridiculously bad. What's the opposite of hyperbole? That's what I was going for.

300 is pretty bad. Possible if a triple option hits on all cylinders against you (2011 Alabama vs. Georgia Southern, 300 yards rushing). But as far as I know, BYU isn't a gimmicky 98% running team, right? Maybe a spread, but they still threw the ball 26 times (26 more than needed)

andycapps

300 is pretty bad, but against a school that runs an almost exclusively running offense like the triple option, it's not horrible. 500 against a school not running a triple option is inexcusable.

Just gonna leave this here for no particular reason:

NDAMbZm.png

Johnny Manzeil: "Feels like another game. Feels like week three of the season."

Didn't hear the question but I'm pretty sure he's talking about Bama there.

Curbstomp incoming. Right?

Lonestar

Johnny Manzeil: "Feels like another game. Feels like week three of the season."

Didn't hear the question but I'm pretty sure he's talking about Bama there.

Curbstomp incoming. Right?

Amari Cooper and AJ McCarron are saying similar things.

To me, it's not a revenge thing because if we wanted to get revenge, we'd have to play that same team last year with the same team we had last year. It's really not a revenge thing. If you lose a fight with someone, you don't get revenge from fighting someone else. ”

-- Amari Cooper, Alabama receiver, on Tide's rematch with Texas A&M

I could see 3-9. Defense is easily better than last year. Terry is practicing, so they may burn his redshirt soon. The biggest downside is that we don't even have a dependable RB to lean on while the QB mess gets sorted out.

Terry is definitely the future hotness, but I'm not sure burning the redshirt & playing him fixes anything, sadly enough. Our offensive scheme hot garbage.

andycapps

Oh, come on. We have to be America's team for at least one week against the king douche of Manziel.

It's not that I hate Bama, it's that I don't want them to get a shot at another championship and if they lose this week, then they're probably out of that discussion with their schedule. But if A&M wins then I have to hear about Manziel even more.

It's not that I hate Bama, it's that I don't want them to get a shot at another championship and if they lose this week, then they're probably out of that discussion with their schedule. But if A&M wins then I have to hear about Manziel even more.

This. A thousand times this.

andycapps

You have my permission to remove his head from his shoulders.

I'd be okay with rooting for A&M if Bama takes JFF out on the first play. But then A&M would have no chance, so that's irrelevant.

@dawgsports - On the bright side, Texas fans can be certain that if their defense has a pay-for-play fund, it is running a Texas-sized surplus

Ether'd

andycapps

Andy, you are the worst Georgian ever if you would root for the Aggies. Seriously, bruh.

I still think of them as a Big 12 school, so they're not that offensive to me yet. Granted, we haven't had to play them yet so I haven't had to see how insane their fanbase is yet. I wouldn't say I'm rooting for either team, though.

Talon

I still think of them as a Big 12 school, so they're not that offensive to me yet. Granted, we haven't had to play them yet so I haven't had to see how insane their fanbase is yet. I wouldn't say I'm rooting for either team, though.
We must have grown up in different parts of the state because there were a ton of Aggies when I was growing up.

And they were all cray.

Lonestar

Good job on not going to Tigerdroppings. Or any other website that features fans that aren't just Georgia fans.

Thanks also for linking a page that lead me to find this statement:
This is what I say to Alabama fans and their recent batch of championship: I don’t respect Alabama. I don’t respect Nick Saban, and I most definitely do not respect or care about their championships. Alabama and its fans do not understand what it means to be a university. A program and coach that is as underhanded and over signs teenagers doesn’t have an iota of shame or an ounce of honor. They have no idea what academic honesty is and no understanding that college football players are students of the game. If Nick Saban were here in Athens running our program like he does for the Crimson Elephants, I’d be immensely embarrassed and ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom