• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 5| Games resume this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with you if it wasn't obvious that the AD hired Kiffen as a sanction-era patsy. Kiffen was a horrible coach as everyone knew from his time with the Vols and the Raiders. Nobody thought he would be better at USC. The only part of this thing I can't remember is if the previous AD was the one who hired Kiffen. It makes more sense to fire him as it wasn't this AD's guy.

Haden didn't hire Kiffin. Mike Garrett (the former AD) did.

Kiffin was hired because quality coaches weren't willing to come with the NCAA sanctions hanging over the program. Meanwhile Kiffin was eager to get out of TN and ride Carroll's coattails some more. Garrett was never particularly good at hiring the right guy (Carroll was a lucky get, and his 4th choice iirc), and hiring Kiffin seemed like a way to appease fans who wanted to continue Carroll's winning ways.

Haden didn't hire Kiffin. Mike Garrett (the former AD) did.

Kiffin was hired because quality coaches weren't willing to come with the NCAA sanctions hanging over the program. Meanwhile Kiffin was eager to get out of TN and ride Carroll's coattails some more. Garrett was never particularly good at hiring the right guy (Carroll was a lucky get, and his 4th choice iirc), and hiring Kiffin seemed like a way to appease fans who wanted to continue Carroll's winning ways.

Yeah that's what I thought. This whole thing happened because the last AD was an idiot. Haden seems pretty good, but the way they fired Kiffen was pretty douche-y.

Yeah that's what I thought. This whole thing happened because the last AD was an idiot. Haden seems pretty good, but the way they fired Kiffen was pretty douche-y.

In a room at the airport? Do you think he should've waited until Monday to call him into the office or something?

In a room at the airport? Do you think he should've waited until Monday to call him into the office or something?

Is that a serious question? Leaving a guy at the airport knowing full well that he doesn't have a way to get back, and his stuff is already on the bus is kind of a dick move. Would firing Lane tomorrow have really changed anything?

filler

Banned
971kQ3z.png

Is that a serious question? Leaving a guy at the airport knowing full well that he doesn't have a way to get back, and his stuff is already on the bus is kind of a dick move. Would firing Lane tomorrow have really changed anything?
Apparently his car was at the airport parked.

Other than that, he's fuckin loaded. He could have called a Limo and got wasted at the airport bar with his shit wiping money.

How on earth do millionaires get home from the airport?

What a head-scratcher.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
So, I miss anything interesting yesterday? I'll bet Ole Miss scored a lot of points on Alabama, I know mre and Lonestar were super worried about that happening.

It's been so cute the last week watching Alabama fans talking about how bad their team is.

I think the majority of you are missing the point. When someone deserves to be fired for performance-related issues they deserve to be fired in a professional manner.

I'm sure whatever buyout Kiffykins has in his contract will more than make up the lack of professionalism on the part of USC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I think the majority of you are missing the point. When someone deserves to be fired for performance-related issues they deserve to be fired in a professional manner.
I'm with you. The only possible reason for it would be if he had reports that Kiffin knew he was gone and was making comments or taking actions that were negatively affecting the players on the bus with him. Otherwise, fire him when he gets back to USC.

JCX

I skipped most news last week because of the bye. Didn't know Alabama pulled out until my brother told me. Was looking forward to seeing a game down there.

mre

I skipped most news last week because of the bye. Didn't know Alabama pulled out until my brother told me. Was looking forward to seeing a game down there.
I think most of our fans were also really looking forward to the series. If I remember correctly, it was even postponed once already to everyone's disappointment.

Glendale, Ariz., Jacksonville, New Orleans and Tampa Bay bid for 2016 College Football Playoff title game.

Bay Area (Calif.), Jacksonville, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Miami and Tampa Bay bid for 2017 College Football Playoff title game.

So, I miss anything interesting yesterday?
Cal decided to take another week off and didn't show up this week.
Glendale, Ariz., Jacksonville, New Orleans and Tampa Bay bid for 2016 College Football Playoff title game.

Bay Area (Calif.), Jacksonville, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Miami and Tampa Bay bid for 2017 College Football Playoff title game.
I would assume that bid will be at the new 49ers stadium.

andycapps

I believe that Atlanta is also pushing hard for the 2017 date since they're building a new dome there. Also under the impression they'll be going for some big week 1 games like they like to put on at Jerry's World.

eznark

Banned
The System was pretty good in parts, dry re-reporting of old news in other parts, and Nick Saban hero worship for most of the second half.

It's probably worth a read. I was disappointed they spent more time focusing on an old BYU rape case and far less time on Notre Dame murdering that poor girl but overall it was fine.

Draxal

I'm good with Strong at Louisville for another 5-6 years.

I think this would be the year for him if he's going to leave Ville with Teddy going to the NFL and moving into a much stronger league.

Ideal situation for him is Muschamp to Texas and he can go to Florida.

mre

I think this would be the year for him if he's going to leave Ville with Teddy going to the NFL and moving into a much stronger league.

Oh, I know. I like Strong and think he's a good coach, so I wouldn't mind him replacing Saban. I know he won't still be at Louisville by then, because regardless of what The Natural thinks of Louisville, it's not a "destination" job.

Draxal

Oh, I know. I like Strong and think he's a good coach, so I wouldn't mind him replacing Saban. I know he won't still be at Louisville by then, because regardless of what The Natural thinks of Louisville, it's not a "destination" job.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. I think Florida is his ultimate destination but he's not a team hopper like Graham.

And where are thenatural and mightyhealthy.

mre

I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. I think Florida is his ultimate destination but he's not a team hopper like Graham.

TheNatural hasn't posted since April and he's not banned. MightyHealthy hasn't posted in about a month.

Kind of concerning about TheNatural...

cashman

Banned

I don't think Muschamp would go back to Texas.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Muschamp burned a lot of bridges at Texas on his way out, and he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire at Florida (though, he hasn't performed badly either).

My guess is Texas is going to look elsewhere.

If someone asked me, Strong is my favorite. I'd take him over anyone (including Saban, Gruden or any of the other stupid names that get thrown around). His age, fire and discipline line him up to be one of the best up and coming coaches.

He's a guy who could sit in his next job for 15-20 years.

That said, we will screw this up and wind up with Mike Stoops in 6 years when Mack finally leaves.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

He might be a Florida guy, but it's going to be awfully hard to turn down USC or Texas and 6 million dollars a year, plus the recruiting base available.

Florida is a good job, but it's not a better job than Texas or USC.

I'm also willing to be Florida wishes they had pegged him for HC in 2010. Had him and let him go to steal Boom from us.

andycapps

I have an interview with an executive recruiter in half an hour where I work. The position would be a step up, and they actually would prefer to pay for my move to Dallas area, but I don't think I want to move. They will supposedly be cool with me staying in Columbus. So wish me luck.

KingGondo

Banned
Colt McCoy was a far bigger cancer because he was uber-whiny and had an inexplicably large and vocal group of supporters within the Browns community.

Nobody really cares about the ginger.
I do feel bad for him though. He lost his job because of injury, and didn't get a chance to play with a healthy Gordon.

Lest we forget, Weeden beat the Bungles at home last year too.

I'm over it though. It's obvious he won't be here next year. Looking forward to a fun season moving forward though. The defense alone is worth the price of admission.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I have an interview with an executive recruiter in half an hour where I work. The position would be a step up, and they actually would prefer to pay for my move to Dallas area, but I don't think I want to move. They will supposedly be cool with me staying in Columbus. So wish me luck.

You are strange.

andycapps

You are strange.

I don't like change, or Texas. My commute is really easy here, and Dallas would have much worse traffic. Plus, I'm comfortable at our current house and don't want to move, find a school for my daughter, find a new place, try to sell our old house, etc. In other words, when I move again, it'll be to Georgia and will probably be the last time I move.

impirius

Championship game + Jacksonville = guaranteed success

pjsmbiz0.jpg

Enfinit

The ACC Championship rotates between Tampa, Charlotte, and Jacksonville. Jacksonville is an absolutely horrible market. The only game that sells out at EverBank Stadium (or whatever it's called now) is Georgia/Florida. Over any bowl game/Jags game/concert/etc.

Granted, the ACC Championship game isn't as exciting as another conference, but it just goes to show how poopy of a market Jacksonville is. I'm astonished at way sports media keeps trying to venture there.

Draxal

He might be a Florida guy, but it's going to be awfully hard to turn down USC or Texas and 6 million dollars a year, plus the recruiting base available.

Florida is a good job, but it's not a better job than Texas or USC.

I'm also willing to be Florida wishes they had pegged him for HC in 2010. Had him and let him go to steal Boom from us.

Oh, I had Texas going after Strong hard in an earlier post. Texas is a weird job, you don't understand how much of a negative that LHN TV show is. That shit would scare off alot more coaches than just Saban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom