• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 5| Games resume this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westonian

Coaches Poll
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio State
4. Clemson
5. Stanford
6. Georgia
7. Louisville
8. Florida State
9. Texas A&M
10. Oklahoma
11. LSU
12. South Carolina
13. UCLA
14. Miami (Fla.)
15. Northwestern
16. Baylor
17. Michigan
18. Washington
19. Florida
20. Oklahoma State
21. Fresno State
22. Texas Tech
23. Northern Illinois
24. Arizona State
25. Nebraska

Others Receiving Votes: Ole Miss (3-1) 69; Virginia Tech (4-1) 54; Wisconsin (3-2) 47; Maryland (4-0) 45; Notre Dame (3-2) 29; Missouri (4-0) 21; UCF (3-1) 15; Michigan State (3-1) 10; Rutgers (3-1) 9; Oregon State (4-1) 7; Iowa (4-1) 1; Arizona (3-1) 1; Utah (3-1) 1; Cincinnati (3-1) 1; East Carolina (3-1) 1

KingGondo

Banned
Not that many good teams this year imho ... It's a top 15 and then the rest.
I honestly think we belong in that group, but our offensive line needs desperate help.

We're wasting our best defensive group in the Gundy era with a terrible running game, mediocre QB play and an extremely green kicking game.

eznark

Banned
Seems strange that beating Wisconsin both knocked WI out and moved ohio up. Is beating a team not worthy of top 25 really worth moving up a spot?

Karl2177

Clemson plays a damn near perfect game, while Ohio State beats Wisconsin by a touchdown and Ohio State goes above Clemson. Bwuh?

andycapps

Seems strange that beating Wisconsin both knocked WI out and moved ohio up. Is beating a team not worthy of top 25 really worth moving up a spot?
Dat MCU bump. It ain't easy playing a brutal schedule like San Diego State, Florida A&M, Buffalo, Cal, and Wisconsin.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Kiffen gone

damn, happened early, slept through all the fun.

Not sticking up for him, but what do you morons think was going to happen under severe scholarship restrictions? Exactly whats happened. That's why you hold onto your "get through it" coach once the restrictions are over, THEN you hire Nick Saban.

But I do like the mental picture of Tosh standing alone in the airport parking lot, while it's raining.

Karakand

DNkQ3FD.png

same old trogans

Man, I'm glad I stayed up so damn late last night to see that news. I haven't slept that peacefully in weeks.

Obviously I'd imagine we'll go after Chris Petersen (who will decline once again most likely), and I've heard a bunch about Jack Del Rio yet again, though I'm not sure why he'd agree now as opposed to a few years ago when we offered. Then of course you have Jeff Fisher.

Who knows if they'll bother asking Mike Riley yet again...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see Coach O on the sidelines leading things for the rest of the season. Pretty big difference in personality there.

But honestly, if the Browns are truly going to be good again, I don't know if we can let Gondo in.

I'm pretty sure there's a mandatory 20-year probationary period of suffering before one gets accepted as a Browns Backer. I'll have to check the regs.

Matt Shaub went from pro bowl QB to shit tier in just 3 years. I would take Colt McCoy over him any day.

In the mean time, Colt and Weeden should hang out more now that they're both unemployed.

Pimpwerx

same old trogans

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. That is cold as ice. I don't like the guy, but that's just all kinds of wrong. I guess USC's AD musta been really hella mad. Anyway, Kiffin will end up as a coordinator somewhere. These turds never get completely flushed. Dude's the ultimate floater.

Also, I'm surprised the Gators didn't get a bigger bump. I think we only moved up one notch. I thought the pollsters woulda been guzzling that Tyler Murphy Koolaid or something. :( Oh well. We'll make them respect us after we win the SECCG...or something. PEACE.

Karakand

Man, I'm glad I stayed up so damn late last night to see that news. I haven't slept that peacefully in weeks.

Obviously I'd imagine we'll go after Chris Petersen (who will decline once again most likely), and I've heard a bunch about Jack Del Rio yet again, though I'm not sure why he'd agree now as opposed to a few years ago when we offered. Then of course you have Jeff Fisher.

Who knows if they'll bother asking Mike Riley yet again...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see Coach O on the sidelines leading things for the rest of the season. Pretty big difference in personality there.

Whoever they hire will be the highest paid coach in the Pac-789456, which will be hilarious in and of itself.

"Mike Riley is the highest paid coach in the Pac-538962."

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. That is cold as ice. I don't like the guy, but that's just all kinds of wrong. I guess USC's AD musta been really hella mad. Anyway, Kiffin will end up as a coordinator somewhere. These turds never get completely flushed. Dude's the ultimate floater.

Hard to not think Pat was venting all that alumni / donor hate he was hearing for seasons on to ol' Big Game Lane.

But then again, this is the school that fired John Robinson by leaving a message on his answering machine.

Karakand

Pete Carroll never won a national championship without Norm Chow.
ffmo212.gif
He didn't win one with him either, though.

Haden found the negatives. USC lost the home opener to Washington State. It lost big to ASU. The program, in his eyes, had become inert. But you can't have it both ways. In the same seven-day span, you can't plead with the NCAA to reduce the severe scholarship sanctions that cripple your program and fire your head coach. That's hypocrisy. And that's what Haden did.

Kiffin had his many flaws, but he also had, through no fault of his own, those many scholarship limits. The cumulative effect of those sanctions (2015 will be the first season USC can have the full complement of 85 scholarship players) severely affected the depth chart. The Trojans have talent, but not enough of it, especially in the difficult Pac-12.

Don't believe me? Ask Alabama coach Nick Saban what it was like to deal with NCAA sanctions when he was at Michigan State. They make a difference.

Of course, USC followers don't want to hear this. They just wanted Kiffin gone.

In retrospect, the worst thing Kiffin ever did was go 10-2 in 2011 while under those NCAA penalties. Ranked No. 1 to begin the 2012 season, USC started 6-1 and finished 1-5 -- and out of the rankings altogether. It was a spectacular fall and it left Kiffin vulnerable and isolated. Haden stood by Kiffin -- and then he didn't. He reacted to the boosters, to the attendance figures, to the success of crosstown rival UCLA and to a loss in the desert.

Kiffin was never going to win a national championship this year. But he could have reached a bowl game. He could have won seven, possibly eight games. Given USC's roster limits and USC's list of injuries, that would have been a season worth admiring.

Instead, Kiffin is out and assistant Ed Orgeron is in. The ridiculous expectations remain the same.

Yeah, that was a pretty terrible article. Thanks for posting it Karakand.

It's true that the egregious sanctions are hurting, badly. But to leave it at that would be underselling it. Kiffin shows no ability to do anything with the guys he recruits. He is a terrible playcaller. And the one thing he was good at, recruiting, is nosediving this year. 2011 was a great year, but it was also a great year featuring fully matured Pete Carroll recruits. Meanwhile Marqise Lee is a great talent, but he also runs backwards several steps every time he catches the ball -- and that's IF he catches the ball. Lately he's just been running before he catches it because he doesn't have the fundamentals down like Robert Woods did.

But mostly, it was the recruiting and the future prognosis that did him in. Everybody losing any semblance of hope that he could turn it around... that's what got him fired. A so-so season this year would've saved him, most likely. Nobody was going to be surprised by a loss to Stanford, But losing to Wazzu, with the most inept offensive performance we've ever seen? Giving up 60+ to ASU? Kiffin set records the last two years for the most points given up by USC ... EVER.

The fact that he thinks USC "could have reached a bowl game" is ridiculous. For one, that was very much in doubt -- we only have maybe 2 "probably win" games left on the schedule at this point. Further, "You could go to a bowl!" is not something USC fans go to games for, or players go to USC for. One of the USC players leaving the WSU game was heard saying, "I didn't come here for this shit!" on the way into the locker room. I think every recruit for 100 miles heard him.

The whole point of firing Kiffin now was to start the long process of removing his stink from the program, from trying to salvage what we can of the last Emmertified recruiting class and move on from exasperated and negative "fire Kiffin already" and get to looking forward.

Yeah, that was a pretty terrible article. Thanks for posting it Karakand.

It's true that the egregious sanctions are hurting, badly. But to leave it at that would be underselling it. Kiffin shows no ability to do anything with the guys he recruits. He is a terrible playcaller. And the one thing he was good at, recruiting, is nosediving this year. 2011 was a great year, but it was also a great year featuring fully matured Pete Carroll recruits. Meanwhile Marqise Lee is a great talent, but he also runs backwards several steps every time he catches the ball -- and that's IF he catches the ball. Lately he's just been running before he catches it because he doesn't have the fundamentals down like Robert Woods did.

But mostly, it was the recruiting and the future prognosis that did him in. Everybody losing any semblance of hope that he could turn it around... that's what got him fired. A so-so season this year would've saved him, most likely. Nobody was going to be surprised by a loss to Stanford, But losing to Wazzu, with the most inept offensive performance we've ever seen? Giving up 60+ to ASU? Kiffin set records the last two years for the most points given up by USC ... EVER.

The fact that he thinks USC "could have reached a bowl game" is ridiculous. For one, that was very much in doubt -- we only have maybe 2 "probably win" games left on the schedule at this point. Further, "You could go to a bowl!" is not something USC fans go to games for, or players go to USC for. One of the USC players leaving the WSU game was heard saying, "I didn't come here for this shit!" on the way into the locker room. I think every recruit for 100 miles heard him.

The whole point of firing Kiffin now was to start the long process of removing his stink from the program, from trying to salvage what we can of the last Emmertified recruiting class and move on from exasperated and negative "fire Kiffin already" and get to looking forward.

I would agree with you if it wasn't obvious that the AD hired Kiffen as a sanction-era patsy. Kiffen was a horrible coach as everyone knew from his time with the Vols and the Raiders. Nobody thought he would be better at USC. The only part of this thing I can't remember is if the previous AD was the one who hired Kiffen. It makes more sense to fire him as it wasn't this AD's guy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I would agree with you if it wasn't obvious that the AD hired Kiffen as a sanction-era patsy. Kiffen was a horrible coach as everyone knew from his time with the Vols and the Raiders. Nobody thought he would be better at USC. The only part of this thing I can't remember is if the previous AD was the one who hired Kiffen. It makes more sense to fire him as it wasn't this AD's guy.

Bologna. They would have gone cheaper if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom