• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 6| Kiffin Named Next AD of Texas

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Glad the bye week is over.

I think it was a good time to have a bye week for us, particularly when considering we're still running out two true freshmen at QB; got the non-con schedule out of the way, plus had one game against a more legit opponent in TCU. Followed up the big win against TCU with a bit of a struggle against Texas State (at least on offense) so the team wasn't too full of themselves heading into the bye week, plus Kansas (who was also on bye this past week) finally beat an FBS opponent in their last game so we have a bit of an impetus to not take them too lightly. Seems like a recipe for getting a lot of good work done in an off week, plus it let a few guys on our OL get healthy and Lord knows we need all the depth there that we can get.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Is A&M supposed to be a low or mid-tier school?

A&M is the very definition of an upper mid-tier school. The fan-base likes to think of themselves as a goliath that has been long-dormant... but long-dormant seems to mean 110 years with a 6 year period when they were in the national title hunt and wound up with major NCAA infractions and banned from post season games and TV for their trouble. twice.

It's not a bad job, but A&M isn't in the Michigan/Bama/Texas/USC/Florida tier of schools.

Your like Clemson or SCAR. Not a bad job. A lesser Bowden might even stick it out there for a decade.

I hope cashman is okay. Sorry about your Rangers, but at least you have the Longhor....Dallas Cowb.....Mavri.....

Have you been to a Texas Wild World Team Tennis Match in Irving? They made the playoffs, and feature the Bryan Brothers!!!

Nole hatred runs deep.

Check the template, thats on ttk. I was wondering when someone would notice. I fixed it on my picks :p

cashman

Banned
I hope cashman is okay. Sorry about your Rangers, but at least you have the Longhor....Dallas Cowb.....Mavri.....

Have you been to a Texas Wild World Team Tennis Match in Irving? They made the playoffs, and feature the Bryan Brothers!!!

Check the template, thats on ttk. I was wondering when someone would notice. I fixed it on my picks :p

The Bryan Brothers? They're practically a lock!

I'm pretty happy with the Longhorn news, though. Dodds out means Mack is definitely out, and that means I can cheer for them to win without feeling bad.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
False. Now that we've gotten rid of McCain, who was holding our defense back due to being an 80-year-old man, our defense is going to be lockdown lights out shut up and shut out.

We will win by exactly 100-0. Book it.

Nope. We will win 31-17. Exactly that score. Halliday to go over 400 yards with 4 tds and 1 pick-six. Naturally.

Jhriad

Your like Clemson or SCAR. Not a bad job. A lesser Bowden might even stick it out there for a decade.

I'm not an Aggie. That should be obvious by now.

Regardless they've got the financials the be a top tier job if they actually had people willing to spend the money. Where their program goes from here will be determined by how much the school administration wants to keep seeing those record $740 million donation levels. I'd be shocked if A&M doesn't throw their wallet at Sumlin, or in the event that he leaves, whoever is considered the best available coach. They've had the taste of success and it tastes like giant wads of cash.

GAF Pick'em Week 6 Games

(THU) UCLA @ Utah by 4
Mayrland @ Florida State by 10
Penn State @ Indiana by 4
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech by 4
Michigan State @ Iowa by 7
Minnesota @ Michigan by 7
Washington State @ California by 10
Ole Miss @ Auburn by 7
Missouri @ Vanderbilt by 7
Arizona State vs Notre Dame by 4
Ohio State @ Northwestern by 7
Washington @ Stanford by 7

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Regardless they've got the financials the be a top tier job if they actually had people willing to spend the money. Where their program goes from here will be determined by how much the school administration wants to keep seeing those record $740 million donation levels. I'd be shocked if A&M doesn't throw their wallet at Sumlin, or in the event that he leaves, whoever is considered the best available coach. They've had the taste of success and it tastes like giant wads of cash.

Lets see how long that lasts. This was a school that just got done firing it's president because she asked the athletic department to pay back the academic side the 18 million they had to loan them to pay their debts.

Things are on the upswing, but that is an athletic department that has made some pretty iffy financial decisions. For instance, that new stadium is being financed with a 330 million dollar revenue bond.

Probably a good excuse to keep throwing money at Sumlin because a drop in attendance could cause major issues. There are various points in this where they have to service upwards of 22 million a year on these things. That's a lot of scratch, and there have been years recently where that sum is very nearly their net income for the year from football.

clav

I don't think even Clever and I will be picking Northwestern.
I think Northwestern will be embarrassed. Probably a silly correlation since ABC is ESPN, but Northwestern is 0-5 for games broadcasted on ABC.

The secondary barely has any experience as the veteran usually playing that spot is out for the season, so Braxton Miller will have video game numbers with his arm.

Game will either be a beat down or offensive shootout thriller. I hope it is the later.

I think Northwestern will be embarrassed. Probably a silly correlation since ABC is ESPN, but Northwestern is 0-5 for games broadcasted on ABC.

The secondary barely has any experience as the veteran usually playing that spot is out for the season, so Braxton Miller will have video game numbers with his arm.

Game will either be a beat down or offensive shootout thriller. I hope it is the later.

1-8 on games coming off a bye under Fitz too. But since this summer I have thought this will be our most difficult game, we just came off a pretty physical slugfest where we lost our defensive leader and watched our best corner get torched all game.

Lkr

Do you guys have friends that aren't big fans that won't leave you alone about rankings? One of my friends can't comprehend how Georgia can move up to 6 while FSU stays at 8. Then when I explain why that happened(and why it really doesn't matter at this point of the season), I just get a response like oh that's stupid. Like shit you don't even follow the sport, of course rankings make no sense to you!

andycapps

Apparently we are wearing the gray uniforms on Saturday. Brilliant move by the marketing department. This way when people are filling through the channels during the afternoon games and they see UGA beating the shit out of some team in gray they will change the channel and notice it is us.

I don't see why they don't save those uniforms for a game you have a chance of winning. I guess they're going for the upset, trying to motivate players and fans. Anything can happen, and Neyland Stadium is always a tough place to play no matter how shitty Tennessee is.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I heard on the radio this morning that it's been something like 20 years since no Dallas pro teams made the playoffs. The Stars, Mavericks, and Rangers have all missed out this year, so the city's hopes rely on the Cowboys now.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Jesus, this website. What's killing it now? Nintendo releasing a new console already?

Jesus, this website. What's killing it now? Nintendo releasing a new console already?

I bet its the Nintendo Direct. I'm about to watch it and I'll let you know

edit: I bet the Donkey Kong delay is causing everyone to freak out/ call for Nintendo's doom even more. That was the only worthwhile news other than a new Kirby game for 3DS.

Subitai

saving
GAF Pick'em Week 6 Games

(THU) UCLA @ Utah by 13

soon...and ready
Maryland @ Florida State by 13
Penn State @ Indiana by 10
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech by 14
Michigan State @ Iowa by 6
Minnesota @ Michigan by 17
Washington State @ California by 17
Ole Miss @ Auburn by 10
Missouri @ Vanderbilt by 4
Arizona State vs Notre Dame by 4
Ohio State @ Northwestern by 14
Washington @ Stanford by 4

Props to Leach with that reaction.

ag-my001

Lets see how long that lasts. This was a school that just got done firing it's president because she asked the athletic department to pay back the academic side the 18 million they had to loan them to pay their debts.
That isn't why she was fired. Technically, we don't know why, because no one could read the scribbles on her performance evaluation. But we all know it's because she wasn't the mouthpiece the chancellor wanted her to be. I didn't like some of her initiatives (agrilife is just so dumb), but let's not pretend her firing was anything but dirty politicking.

As for the rest of it, I'm hoping the new AD is running things better than Bill Byrne did, not that it should be too difficult a standard to beat.

Do you guys have friends that aren't big fans that won't leave you alone about rankings? One of my friends can't comprehend how Georgia can move up to 6 while FSU stays at 8. Then when I explain why that happened(and why it really doesn't matter at this point of the season), I just get a response like oh that's stupid. Like shit you don't even follow the sport, of course rankings make no sense to you!

My friends don't watch college football. You guys are all I got.

Enfinit

2d59130648.png

C'man Jameis!

4z9rn

jakncoke

Banned
I heard on the radio this morning that it's been something like 20 years since no Dallas pro teams made the playoffs. The Stars, Mavericks, and Rangers have all missed out this year, so the city's hopes rely on the Cowboys now.

Good thing for them that the NFL East is bad this year

Piggus

Sounds like DeAnthony Thomas is out for the Colorado game for precautionary reasons but will be back in to contribute to our 10th straight win against Udub. :)

The Navy/Air Force game has been cancelled due to being "nonessential."

Supposedly the Army game is still happening, not sure if they just figured a cheap way to do it or what.

mre

Supposedly the Army game is still happening, not sure if they just figured a cheap way to do it or what.
Is Army playing at home? If so, that may explain it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tech got a commitment today from a JUCO who transferred there from Florida A&M.

It's weird to see a highlight reel of a recruit that shows him playing against Oklahoma.

With Navy and Air Force both being military, maybe it's just harder for Army to get out of the contract with an outside organization?

Based on my calculation I did pretty well again last week, looking forward to seeing ttk's final tally. I got 11/12 games right (only missed the Techmo Bowl) and got 4 MOV bonus points, total 15 points! I hope I can keep this up.

GAF Pick'em Week 6 Games

(THU) UCLA @ Utah by 7
Maryland @ Florida State by 11
Penn State @ Indiana by 9
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech by 7
Michigan State @ Iowa by 4
Minnesota @ Michigan by 10
Washington State @ California by 6
Ole Miss @ Auburn by 4 Oh god why am I doing this?
Missouri @ Vanderbilt by 4
Arizona State vs Notre Dame by 7
Ohio State @ Northwestern by 7
Washington @ Stanford by 6 Upset Special

Hardest game to pick this week is probably Ole Miss @ Auburn. Also yes I seriously believe in Washington.

jjasper

I don't see why they don't save those uniforms for a game you have a chance of winning. I guess they're going for the upset, trying to motivate players and fans. Anything can happen, and Neyland Stadium is always a tough place to play no matter how shitty Tennessee is.

I don't think we have another home game we have a chance to win outside of Vandy and I don't think they want to wait till late November for them. So it is either USCe or UGA and with UGA being the primary SEC game this week and probably the last time we play of CBS this year I am sure Adidas pushed for it to be this week.

Limedust

Good week. Alabama blanked Ole Miss, and the wife and I set a new PR at the Providence Half Marathon.

Looking like winning a bye week might be more difficult than the game coming up this weekend. I expect Sims to walk out for the first series at QB, and every starter with a nagging injury to sit.

andycapps

I don't think we have another home game we have a chance to win outside of Vandy and I don't think they want to wait till late November for them. So it is either USCe or UGA and with UGA being the primary SEC game this week and probably the last time we play of CBS this year I am sure Adidas pushed for it to be this week.
Fair enough, I'm pretty worried about Tennessee. They have a really good secondary and OL. Receivers and QB are coming along nicely.

Looks like a lot of Vol fans are buying these jerseys and expecting a big win this weekend.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vgiWj9TPEZM&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvgiWj9TPEZM%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

mre

Fair enough, I'm pretty worried about Tennessee. They have a really good secondary and OL. Receivers and QB are coming along nicely.

Looks like a lot of Vol fans are buying these jerseys and expecting a big win this weekend.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vgiWj9TPEZM&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvgiWj9TPEZM%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded
OH COME ON. Even I think this is ridiculous.

Edit: I didn't even get to the part where you said their QBs are coming along nicely. Whorley is shit. Apparently Peterman is worse.

andycapps

OH COME ON. Even I think this is ridiculous.

Hey man, I can't help it. CBS game of the week, new jerseys, big stadium with a bunch of hillbillies in it, and a great football team. That's spells upset to me. I'm glad I don't have to pick this game this week.

mre

Hey man, I can't help it. CBS game of the week, new jerseys, big stadium with a bunch of hillbillies in it, and a great football team. That's spells upset to me. I'm glad I don't have to pick this game this week.
OH COME ON.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
jakncoke sending me direct messages on twitter to visit some nondescript website!

Sounds totally not shady!

Top Bottom