• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 9| Low-class football

jjasper

What's wrong with Bamas band? I have been to 2 games at BDS and neither time I thought they were bad (of course this is in comparison to the trash that some of the other sec schools throw out there).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What's wrong with Bamas band? I have been to 2 games at BDS and neither time I thought they were bad (of course this is in comparison to the trash that some of the other sec schools throw out there).
To big to actually march. And very boring.

They have their own intro on the video boards now, so they don't actually play when they march into the stadium.

(FRI) Boise State @ BYU by 7
Nebraska @ Minnesota by 4
Houston @ Rutgers by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 7
Michigan State @ Illinois by 7
Utah @ USC by 4
UCLA @ Oregon by 10
South Carolina @ Missouri by 10
Texas @ TCU by 7
Penn State @ Ohio State by 14
Stanford @ Oregon State by 4

cashman

Banned
(FRI) Boise State @ BYU by 4
Nebraska @ Minnesota by 7
Houston @ Rutgers by 6
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 10
Michigan State @ Illinois by 6
Utah @ USC by 4
UCLA @ Oregon by 14
South Carolina @ Missouri by 4
Texas @ TCU by 7
Penn State @ Ohio State by 14
Stanford @ Oregon State by 10

Here is a UL review of the game. It is actually damn good and very fair so far. But skip to 16:30 in the video where UCF gets flagged for holding.

Charlie Strong for some reason declines the penalty. GOL at that very second knows the game is about over for that move after the comeback. Strong must have had no faith the defense could stop the offense on another down. Apparently Strong right after had a look on his face like he should have accepted it. I must have been too many beers in because I didn't notice GOL's reaction as it was happening.

http://thecrunchzone.com/sheriff-review-central-florida/

Oh hey apparently we find out about Miami tomorrow. Only took the NCAA three years!

I'll just go ahead and give you guys my pre-emptive meltdown about what sanctions Miami receives tomorrow:

"The NCAA is a fucking joke... we all knew this was going to be a slap on the wrist, but come the fuck on. It's amazing how corrupt this fucking organization is and I'm sure Paul Dee's fat fucking face has a smile on it even as he rots in hell, the bastard. Thanks for the death penalty you hypocritical fucks. Dee reigns over one of the most corrupt teams in the nation and has the gall to call out USC for not knowing about a single player taking money from an ex-con wannabe agent, well in another city away from the school? Then, while USC can't even acknowledge Reggie Bush, Ohio State gets to carry fucks like Tressel off the field, when he straight-up actually hid information from the NCAA, goddamn proof and all.

I wish the BoT would have the guts to just sue these corrupt assholes. If McNair can do it, and everybody in college football knows we got screwed, why not? We have players dropping like flies because we don't have enough depth to sub 'em out, so they play even when they shouldn't be. But yeah, I'm sure the NCAA cares about the welfare of the student athletes above all else, that's why they're punishing a bunch of kids who weren't even in high school when this shit went down. Way to go."

Here's my prediction for the Miami sanctions, btw:

- No bounties permitted for the first half of the game against Wake Forest.
- Miami must correctly spell and pronounce it as "The U" from now on. 5 year probation from calling it "Da U."
- Miami must remain in the ACC.
- Miami's booster-funded prostitute allowance for the team is reduced by 5 prostitutes, per year, for the next 3 years. (aka the "Craig James rule")
- Absolutely no more paid-for abortions, under any circumstances, unless Miami gets to a BCS bowl in which case the NCAA may make an exception

AntoneM

GAF Pick'em Week 9 Games

(FRI) Boise State @ BYU by 6
Nebraska @ Minnesota by X
Houston @ Rutgers by 9
Northwestern @ Iowa by 6
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 9
Michigan State @ Illinois by 6
Utah @ USC by 6
UCLA @ Oregon by 17
South Carolina @ Missouri by 6
Texas @ TCU by 9
Penn State @ Ohio State by 17
Stanford @ Oregon State by 6

(FRI) Boise State @ BYU by 10
Nebraska @ Minnesota by 4
Houston @ Rutgers by 10
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 9
Michigan State @ Illinois by 4
Utah @ USC by 7
UCLA @ Oregon by 17
South Carolina @ Missouri by 10
Texas @ TCU by 7
Penn State @ Ohio State by 15
Stanford @ Oregon State by 4

pxleyes

Banned
Back home from the beach. What happened this weekend? I was possessed and don't remember a thing. Did we have a game? Oh well, at least I'll get to see us win this week!!!

only 9 days till basketball

Back home from the beach. What happened this weekend? I was possessed and don't remember a thing. Did we have a game? Oh well, at least I'll get to see us win this week!!!

only 9 days till basketball

The one armed baller signed with y'all today as a preferred walk-on. Thats exciting!

Hookers and blow is worse than covering up child rape?

Looking at this completely impartially and ignoring the human factor. Note that I am in no way downplaying what happened at college station

One effectively was cheating on the field. One really wasnt. Maimi gained a competitive advantage by forcing girls into prostitution and giving them to players as a recruiting tactic.

Not reporting a child rapist is absolutely hideous. But in terms of pure football, didnt do much in terms of an unfair advantage on the field. NCAA needs to stop trying to be the moral compass of society when they themselves are participating in the explotation of young men and woman every saturday.

Punish cheaters to the fullest extent, begin to right the ship now. Stop being a punching bag to these programs who think they are beyond sanctions regardless of what they do. Its a pipedream, I know. They won't do anything.

cdyhybrid

Looking at this completely impartially and ignoring the human factor. Note that I am in no way downplaying what happened at college station

One effectively was cheating on the field. One really wasnt. Maimi gained a competitive advantage by forcing girls into prostitution and giving them to players as a recruiting tactic.

Not reporting a child rapist is absolutely hideous. But in terms of pure football, didnt do much in terms of an unfair advantage on the field. NCAA needs to stop trying to be the moral compass of society when they themselves are participating in the explotation of young men and woman every saturday.

Punish cheaters to the fullest extent, begin to right the ship now. Stop being a punching bag to these programs who think they are beyond sanctions regardless of what they do. Its a pipedream, I know. They won't do anything.

Covering up and enabling repeated child rape by your defensive coordinator doesn't give you a competitive advantage? I would think a coach raping children and that news getting out would hurt recruiting and (likely) end up in the coach being fired and jailed. That might not help the program.

bachikarn

Nah. Zook had loads of talent and depth and couldn't muster more than 8 wins. Maybe 9. Champ whiffed on OL recruiting and OC hiring. It's correctable.

Will he improve though? He has one more year.

I kind of feel that people were harder on Zook because he always sounded like an idiot. Muschamp sounds smart and is very motivational, giving people more (misplaced?) confidence in him.

Zook never had anything as good as an 11-2 season, but he still won a lot of big games (beating Nick Saban's NC winning LSU team, beating Bowden in Tallahassee, something Spurrier never did). If Muschamp goes 6-6 this year (which I think is very possible, if not likely), he will have close to the same record Zook did in 3 years.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just because I hate our band doesn't mean you can't hate your band as well.

Well I'll get to see them live in about a month and judge for myself. As far as DUMB goes (yep, DUMB) it would be nice if the band leaders didn't have the taste of 13 year old girls. One Direction isn't the first.
Do you know how embarrassing it is to watch the band follow NCCU's Michael Jackson tribute halftime routine with songs by Katy Perry? Its like having to ask for an extra piece of candy for your delusional brother who skips tricks or treats to wait for a mythical being in a pumpkin patch.

Limedust

My three favorites. I think Florida really won this week, though.

Florida said:
How do make ball fly in air get yards?
South Carolina said:
i'm gonna give my self a timeout in the corner and call some timeouts while i timeout myself to death. good bye.
LSU said:
Quotes youll never hear from Miles.....
"It's Tuesday, lets get better now"
"Cam, we can pick them apart on swings and z ins, five yards at a time"
"Nice adjustment....."
"Hell yes, I know where I was when Jones hit Davis"
"Hi, Rolex asked me to tell you about precision in timing.."
"Hi, The Boy Scouts asked me tell you about being prepared..."
"On behalf of the team, fans, and the State of Louisiana I proudly raise this crystal ball.."
"If they're happy with a top ten and the Chicken Bowl, let 'em eat cake..."

jjasper

1-9 killed something inside of me. For a few minutes last November, a part of it came back. 58 seconds later, the scab was pulled off. We're second fiddle. We are the 90's Tennessee of the west. Bama is Florida under spurrier. They're better and we all know it.

LOL. There is some connection here, I wonder what it is.

Also why would Miami even appeal that. Not worth the lawyers fees.

andycapps

Miami punishment: 9 scholarships (3 per year), no bowl ban.

We will see if they will stick to their word and appeal.

Appeal what? That's a joke compared to the infractions that were committed. Seriously, I don't see why every school doesn't just ignore the rules at this point and just tries to be careful enough to not get caught for a few years.

Seriously, 2 years to investigate this, and that's all they're doing to Miami? A school that already had a similar incident in the 90's with Luther Campbell? How does this not get them a Lack of Institutional Control? They're fucking Miami, they should have things in place to prevent this given their checkered past.

Quake1028

Miami's football program will not receive a bowl ban but will lose nine scholarships as part of sanctions that will be handed down by the NCAA, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Miami will lose three scholarships annually over the next three years, the source told Schad. This decision would mean that the Hurricanes, off to a 6-0 start and ranked seventh in the initial BCS standings, will be eligible for a bowl game this season.

Additionally, former Miami men's basketball coach Frank Haith will be suspended five games and former assistant Jorge Fernandez will receive a two-year show-cause penalty, a source told ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

The suspension of Haith, currently the head coach at Missouri, is consistent with previous NCAA rulings. Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett was suspended five games this season. Two years ago, the NCAA suspended former UConn coach Jim Calhoun and UCF's Donnie Jones for three games.

The sanctions will be officially announced later Tuesday morning.

The NCAA's decision comes 2½ years after the investigation of Miami began. It also comes eight months after the NCAA said the Hurricanes did not "exercise institutional control" over Shapiro's interactions with the school's football and men's basketball teams. Shapiro is a former booster and convicted felon.

Miami's football program already sat out two bowl games and last season's ACC title game as part of self-imposed sanctions.

More here.

I kind of feel that people were harder on Zook because he always sounded like an idiot. Muschamp sounds smart and is very motivational, giving people more (misplaced?) confidence in him.

Zook never had anything as good as an 11-2 season, but he still won a lot of big games (beating Nick Saban's NC winning LSU team, beating Bowden in Tallahassee, something Spurrier never did). If Muschamp goes 6-6 this year (which I think is very possible, if not likely), he will have close to the same record Zook did in 3 years.

True. But Zook was on a downslide. He was an awesome recruiter, but he made no allies anywhere else, same as Meyer. (Meyer had better assistants and could manage the flow of a game much better, so it was handled with gritted teeth) Zook's teams could out talent some people, but when it came to having to coach, he was outmatched. Remember us losing to the MSU team that lost at home to Maine?

Zook also had a full cupboard, as it were. He didn't kick anyone off the team and inherited solid lines. Muschamp inherited a mess and that's why people are giving him more of a chance. But it only extends one more year than Zook. If the slide continues he will be let go next year.

Well that'll show 'em.

What is this blind spot regarding Miami? tOSU is much more of a good ol' boy. Miami is getting the Bear Bryant/Vince Dooley treatment.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
From Chuck Carlton's Twitter -

N53F94s.png

Draxal

NCAA really fucked up the Miami investigation, and Miami did impose penalties unlike MCU and USC.

Miami had a really good chance of winning an appeal on anything more serious.

The good thing is they did go after the coaches hard.

Clint Hurrt the super recruiter for Louisville got a two year show cause.

Top Bottom