• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 9| Low-class football

andycapps

Fuck you autocorrect, at least it was as bad as Obama's online.

I blame Mark Right.

What is this blind spot regarding Miami? tOSU is much more of a good ol' boy. Miami is getting the Bear Bryant/Vince Dooley treatment.

Elaborate on that. I think Miami is just reaping the fruits of the NCAA being impotent. I don't think it's any statement on Miami as a program other than that they're a BCS school, and that the NCAA seems to not want to punish anyone right now. I don't think we'll ever see punishment like USC got, and definitely nothing like what SMU got.

jjasper

True. But Zook was on a downslide. He was an awesome recruiter, but he made no allies anywhere else, same as Meyer. (Meyer had better assistants and could manage the flow of a game much better, so it was handled with gritted teeth) Zook's teams could out talent some people, but when it came to having to coach, he was outmatched. Remember us losing to the MSU team that lost at home to Maine?

Zook also had a full cupboard, as it were. He didn't kick anyone off the team and inherited solid lines. Muschamp inherited a mess and that's why people are giving him more of a chance. But it only extends one more year than Zook. If the slide continues he will be let go next year.

If I was FL Muschamp would get to keep the job till the day after Chip Kelly to gets fired.

Yeah it's "light", but we already banned ourselves from 2 bowls and last year's ACCCG, and reduced scholarships. So it's much more of a punishment than just 9 scholarships.
To be fair, those two bowl bans came in the middle of the season when that bowl would have been middling at best or in the case of the ACCGC, you'd have gotten absolutely railed anyway.

They also didn't come with the associated sanction of allowing the seniors to transfer, IIRC.

But LOL at Clint Hurtt at UL getting a show cause.

Quake1028

To be fair, those two bowl bans came in the middle of the season when that bowl would have been middling at best or in the case of the ACCGC, you'd have gotten absolutely railed anyway.

They also didn't come with the associated sanction of allowing the seniors to transfer, IIRC.

Not disagreeing with you about what would have happened, but the bowl bans came towards the end of the last two years. Still, even though we probably lose all 3 games, it's 2 bowl bans and a conference title game ban. It's not nothing.

From Chuck Carlton's Twitter -

N53F94s.png

lol that's pretty great. good to know kid's got a sense of humor.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How many scholarships did ya'll give yourselves?

Also, it should be noted, the punishment of recruits deciding not to go to Miami because of the cloud of the NCAA. 2 come to mind: Teddy Bridgewater and Amari Cooper. Think Miami wouldn't mind having those 2 players.

Draxal

Yes, Miami got off light. But the NCAA completely fucked upthe investigation. And I don't think they wanted it to go the appealate phase at all.

1. Probably would have lost and been embarrassed.
2. More mistakes by the investigation team would have been brought to light.

Quake1028

Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds 1h
Here's the funny thing. People will say "only" nine scholarships. No. The cost football paid over the last three years is crazy big.

Quake1028

Also, it should be noted, the punishment of recruits deciding not to go to Miami because of the cloud of the NCAA. 2 come to mind: Teddy Bridgewater and Amari Cooper. Think Miami wouldn't mind having those 2 players.

I'm sorry for anything bad I have ever said about you <3. As for the scholies, last year's class was only 19 kids.

Pretty sure Teddy left more because of the coaching change rather than sanctions.

But the cloud is definitely a valid point. I was just mentioning that the bowl bans seemed to come off as more "Well we're going to a shitty bowl anyway, let's sacrifice it."

NCAA fucked up plain and simple. Little else they could realistically do anyway.

andycapps

Tim Reynolds &#8207;@ByTimReynolds 1h
Here's the funny thing. People will say "only" nine scholarships. No. The cost football paid over the last three years is crazy big.

Sorry, I have no sympathy after what was going on while the administration and coaches knowing full well that it was occurring. You can say that Miami missed out on some recruits because the process was dragging out too long, and that's true, but that was not a direct punishment by the NCAA. We all know the real reason the NCAA didn't do more is because they botched the investigation and if the punishment were anything other than a slap on the wrist that Miami would appeal it and win.

Quake1028

Sorry, I have no sympathy after what was going on while the administration and coaches knowing full well that it was occurring. You can say that Miami missed out on some recruits because the process was dragging out too long, and that's true, but that was not a direct punishment by the NCAA. We all know the real reason the NCAA didn't do more is because they botched the investigation and if the punishment were anything other than a slap on the wrist that Miami would appeal it and win.

Nothing you say is wrong, but to say 9 scholies, LOL, is also not a correct statement.

Quake1028

I don't think it's an incorrect statement. If you weren't a Miami fan and if this were FSU that had committed these infractions, would you feel the same way?

Of course I am hugely biased. But it's not "just" 9 scholarships. Yes, we got off light. But what the NCAA gave and what actually happened are two separate things.

Elaborate on that. I think Miami is just reaping the fruits of the NCAA being impotent. I don't think it's any statement on Miami as a program other than that they're a BCS school, and that the NCAA seems to not want to punish anyone right now. I don't think we'll ever see punishment like USC got, and definitely nothing like what SMU got.

I'm just
saltily
referring to the penchant for the NCAA to overlook violations by people with lots of connections. Like they did with those two coaches (and many others who were at successful programs) for a long time.

The tOSU and USC penalties seemed pretty harsh for infractions that I judge to be much lesser than Miami's.

jjasper

The tOSU and USC penalties seemed pretty harsh for infractions that I judge to be much lesser than Miami's.

They also fought and didn't cooperate in the investigations. Basically if you go to the NCAA and say yeah we fucked up and here look we punished ourselves the NCAA lets it go with a slap on the wrist. If you fight them they get pissed and try to fuck you.

Shit we barely got a slap on the wrist for all the shit we did when Mike Hamilton was AD. And Ohio States would have been 100x worse if they actually tried to keep Tressel.

They also fought and didn't cooperate in the investigations. Basically if you go to the NCAA and say yeah we fucked up and here look we punished ourselves the NCAA lets it go with a slap on the wrist. If you fight them they get pissed and try to fuck you.

Shit we barely got a slap on the wrist for all the shit we did when Mike Hamilton was AD. And Ohio States would have been 100x worse if they actually tried to keep Tressel.

Ohio State self punished too, albeit with the weakest punishment ever. So glad we didnt bowl ban ourselves so I could watch that awesome 6-6 team play in the gator bowl.

andycapps

Of course I am hugely biased. But it's not "just" 9 scholarships. Yes, we got off light. But what the NCAA gave and what actually happened are two separate things.

The only aberration in Miami's recruiting is really 2011. That year was hugely impacted, obviously. Since then, the recruiting has been in line with recruiting prior to the scandal hitting.

I'm just
saltily
referring to the penchant for the NCAA to overlook violations by people with lots of connections. Like they did with those two coaches (and many others who were at successful programs) for a long time.

I don't think these penalties were because of connections. It was because their investigator ruined the investigation.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ohio State self punished too, albeit with the weakest punishment ever. So glad we didnt bowl ban ourselves so I could watch that awesome 6-6 team play in the gator bowl.
I'm sorry, that's still hilarious in retrospect.

Common misconception. USC cooperated with the investigation fully, and the NCAA has repeatedly thanked USC for going above and beyond in cooperating with them. The problem was that they weren't finding the evidence they wanted to find.

So Paul "My School Does Things The Right Way" Dee and his team decided to basically slander a coach, ignore evidence, create their own interpretation of things, and invoke a "rule" that has never before nor ever since been invoked... the "high profile players demand high profile compliance" rule. Again, Paul Dee was fucking running Miami at the time all this shit was going on and he decides he wants to slam USC. A judge has already ruled the NCAA acted with malicious intent against McNair alone, and the NCAA is desperate to keep the case files sealed because once they go public, oh boy.

But as for now? For the deeds of ONE player, USC loses more schollies next year alone than Miami loses over the next three combined for their fucking laundry list of worse offenses in over a decade of LOIC.

USC's penalties were worse than Ohio State, Oregon and Miami combined. Because of one player, and the school not knowing.

KingGondo

Banned
The fact that TCU is favored is hilarious to me.

I mean, I don't think people realize how fucking terrible TCU's offense really is. If I'm Gary Patterson, I order my OC to call nothing but QB runs with Boykin until UT stops it.

The fact that I could legitimately see Texas losing anyway is another sign of how bad the Big 12 is.

On the OSU front, we still don't have a QB. We finished in the top 5 in the country in offense last year and the only changes were our starting RB, a couple offensive linemen, and a new OC, and now we're mediocre at best on offense. Also, our placekicker sucks.

We play two away games at ISU then a tough night game @ Tech. If we can win both, we're in position to potentially win the Big 12. If not, well... The Alamo Bowl would be a nice goal. :(

Quake1028

Oh my god, you guys. Someone is actually going to die on the field in Jacksonville. Like, remember the old GIJoes with the rubber band in the middle, and you'd twist that rubber band too hard and the guy would just snap into pieces? That's gonna happen. Someone is going to get sacked, and there's gonna be a torso and a pair of legs.

Could be the truth.

Lonestar

John Infante &#8207;@John_Infante 30m
Miami&#8217;s scholarship reductions are only in *overall* counters, not initial counters. So they can still enroll full recruiting classes.

That reads like this:

Can sign 25 players a year like normal. Just has to only have 82 players on scholarships a year.

So, I predict upperclassmen who don't play, to get cut, er, graduate early!

John Infante &#8207;@John_Infante 27m
Haith is being suspended for games against SE Louisiana, Southern Illinois, Hawai&#8217;i, Gardner-Webb, and IUPUI.

John Infante &#8207;@John_Infante 25m
By the SEC, but Randy Bennett&#8217;s is. RT @nyillini311: if my memory serves right, was the Pearl suspension for CONFERENCE games?

Even 10RC gets fucked in this :lol

Eh... Over three years its not that big. I mean there are ways to mitigate the losses to the point they don't make much difference.

It's basically our situation now. On basketball that would be killer, though.

mcgruber

I mean, I don't think people realize how fucking terrible TCU's offense really is. If I'm Gary Patterson, I order my OC to call nothing but QB runs with Boykin until UT stops it.

The fact that I could legitimately see Texas losing anyway is another sign of how bad the Big 12 is.

(

Agree with all the above. Tcu would take your Oc since you seem to not value him

What is this blind spot regarding Miami? tOSU is much more of a good ol' boy. Miami is getting the Bear Bryant/Vince Dooley treatment.

Don't misunderstand me. I have no desire for bloodlust when it comes to NCAA sanctions. The organization is such a joke that I almost welcome these impotent sanctions because it further undermines their already meager credibility.

I'm not bitter about the fallout from the tattoo scandal at all. Why would I be? Hell, we're better off than we would be had it never happened. I think most people, including pretty much all Ohio State fans, can agree on that.

Meier

Since there's nothing good to say about my team right now, I'll try to take solace in this:

No one who watched that game or participated in it believes Clemson would win in a 100 games. They were completely outclassed on every single level. Dabo just rallying the troops.

KingGondo

Banned
Agree with all the above. Tcu would take your Oc since you seem to not value him
It's not that I don't value him, Gundy has too good of a track record making hires to say that.

But by far the biggest change we made to our offense in the offseason was changing our OC, and that would seem to be the most likely culprit for our regression.

Like I said though, I'll withhold judgment for a couple more games. We left a ton of points on the field last week. If we had won 35-10 instead of 24-10, most OSU fans would have a much rosier outlook on the rest of the season.

Quake1028

Britton Banowsky, chair of the Committee on Infractions and commissioner of Conference USA, said it is hard to compare infractions cases against each other but what Miami did throughout the investigation stood out.

"Each case is unique. No doubt folks will have a difference of opinion on whether the penalties were too severe or too light," Banowsky said on a conference call with reporters. "We don't put cases against each other based on the unique nature of each case. In this case, we felt the institution's self-imposed penalties were significant and unprecedented. The level of cooperation in the case was commendable. Those were factors that weighed into the committee's thinking."

ToxicAdam

Just dropping in to profess my love of the WatchESPN app. I've seen more Toledo football (and other marginal football teams) in the past season than I have in the past 3 combined. It's so beautiful to flip through 5-6 ballgames all day long on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Their game against Navy was pretty crazy, I don't think I've ever seen a team (Navy) lose in OT by missing a PAT.

Lonestar

I was with the family on Vacation in Gatlinburg that day. I faked being sick, because they wanted to drive up to the mountains and go to Cherokee, because I knew traffic coming back would take a long time to get back, and missing most, if not all, of this game.

Sucks to lose a 5 OT game, but it was still exciting. We were horrible that year, and at that time, we lost most of those TSIO games.

Just dropping in to profess my love of the WatchESPN app. I've seen more Toledo football (and other marginal football teams) in the past season than I have in the past 3 combined. It's so beautiful to flip through 5-6 ballgames all day long on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Their game against Navy was pretty crazy, I don't think I've ever seen a team (Navy) lose in OT by missing a PAT.
Matt Prater. Hawaii Bowl. 2005. Misses an extra point in OT causing UCF to lose.

He ruined Christmas, so they say. Funny he is now an elite NFL kicker.

Lonestar

JOX Roundtable &#8207;@JOXRoundtable 10m
RT @DavidSPaschall: Alabama announces that tickets remain for Saturday's game due to returns from Tennessee's allotment.

Guess I should try to go to this game as well.

Quake1028

So, where is our most likely bowl destination? Lose to FSU-Beat VaTech-Lose to FSU probably = CFA Bowl. Lose to FSU-Lose to VaTech probably = Russell Athletic Bowl. All of this is assuming Clemson wins out and gets an at large BCS bid, if not, Sun Bowl?

If I was FL Muschamp would get to keep the job till the day after Chip Kelly to gets fired.

Would he be a Saban type or another Pete Carroll type? i.e. looking to get back to the NFL immediately.

I don't think these penalties were because of connections. It was because their investigator ruined the investigation.

Yeah, I was more just throwing jabs at those programs and making fun of the NCAA. Plus being salty over 1984 and 1989.

Don't misunderstand me. I have no desire for bloodlust when it comes to NCAA sanctions. The organization is such a joke that I almost welcome these impotent sanctions because it further undermines their already meager credibility.

I'm not bitter about the fallout from the tattoo scandal at all. Why would I be? Hell, we're better off than we would be had it never happened. I think most people, including pretty much all Ohio State fans, can agree on that.

That was the larger point of my post. It got lost because I am no Patton Oswalt.

jjasper

Oversigning guy is already excited.

The greatest part about oversigning was the "Jim Tressel is a stand human that would never cheat in any way shape or form and represents all that is good in the world" dick sucking that happened with every post that dude made.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

While I can completely see TCU's offense doing nothing in that game, I can also see UT's offense accounting for a decent amount of points for TCU.

JCX

(FRI) Boise State @ BYU by 7
Nebraska @ Minnesota by 13
Houston @ Rutgers by 7
Northwestern @ Iowa by 10
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 7
Michigan State @ Illinois by 7
Utah @ USC by 14
UCLA @ Oregon by 10
South Carolina @ Missouri by 6
Texas @ TCU by 12
Penn State @ Ohio State by 10
Stanford @ Oregon State by 8

cashman

Banned
Texas just needs to get keep pounding away with the run game like they did against OU. Like they were supposed to be doing for the past two seasons with all these stud RB recruits.

Top Bottom