• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 9| Low-class football

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2013/10/22/4865912/miami-scholarship-sanctions-football-recruiting-impact

More insight to the penalties

According to the NCAA's release, Miami can assign its nine lost scholarships to any years it chooses over the next three. Miami has flexibility.

Let's say that the scholarship losses are distributed evenly over each of the next three seasons, meaning that Miami could carry 82 instead of the normal 85 scholarship players.

That's almost no penalty at all. Miami is actually playing with 76 scholarship players this year, according to the Miami Herald. Miami is not unique in playing under the limit. In-state rival Florida State is playing at 77 players this year. Combined losses on the field of those two teams in 2013: zero.

Basically, almost all teams have less than 85 full scholarships, at least at the beginning of the season. Usually they'll throw out scholarships to the walk on kickers to fill in. Except, of course, @ Alabama.[/oversigning.com rant]

Oh, now internet rumors of Tahj Boyd having huge gambling debts.

@McMurphyESPN said:
Louisville assistant Clint Hurtt will remain on UL staff despite involvement in Miami case
Won't get paid until 2015 though, apparently.

Basically, almost all teams have less than 85 full scholarships, at least at the beginning of the season. Usually they'll throw out scholarships to the walk on kickers to fill in. Except, of course, @ Alabama.[/oversigning.com rant]
Through creative bookkeeping, the University of Alabama maintains 138 scholarship football players.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2013/10/22/4865912/miami-scholarship-sanctions-football-recruiting-impact

The fact that the penalties count against the 85 and not the 25 is kind of ridiculous.

mre

Through creative bookkeeping, the University of Alabama maintains 138 scholarship football players.
We technically have 86, since Luke Del Rio elected to walk on with us rather than getting a free ride with Okie State. I mean, he's a walk-on but, come on, the dude's *really* a scholarship QB.

Quake1028

Our count is skewed low because we self imposed cuts last year so we only signed 19 kids.

Quake1028

The NCAA is such a joke. Miami deserved a harsh penalty and they got a pat on the back.

How is 15 lost scholarships, 2 bowl bans, an ACCCG ban, 3 years of negative recruiting and everything else that came with this a "pat on the back"? It's not our fault this thing took almost 3 years and we got ahead of the thing and took "unprecedented" (their words, not mine) measures that caused the actual punishment today to be what it was. And it's even more not our fault that the NCAA had to pause the Miami investigation to investigate themselves for misconduct and wrongdoing, further delaying everything.

Oozer3993

I can't believe I get to use this again so soon.

JV07KwB.jpg

Lonestar

What a bunch of horseshit those people are getting banned for in that thread.

Since it's a PC Day 1, wonder how posting "Getting it Day 1 on the only worthy place to play the game: PC" would turn out.

Definitely talking about Batman Arkham Origins. Definitely.

jjasper

So Meier got banned cause he seen it? Right when FSU was big again. Such a pitty.

Also the posting on that side has hit rock bottom but I continue to go read it cause I hate myself.

Edit: Speaking of posting hitting rock bottom. I forgot how much TD turns to crap this week cause LSU fans get all pissy cause Bama hates us more than them even when we suck.

Lonestar

So Meier got banned cause he seen it? Right when FSU was big again. Such a pitty.

Also the posting on that side has hit rock bottom but I continue to go read it cause I hate myself.

Edit: Speaking of posting hitting rock bottom. I forgot how much TD turns to crap this week cause LSU fans get all pissy cause Bama hates us more than them even when we suck.

To the point that they'll bring up "Tennessee returning a few tickets" or "McCarron doesn't view this game as a rivalry" stories, as proof that "Alabama doesn't really care about this rivalry anymore". McCarron's on SabanSpeech 2.0. Whoever the opponent is, is just some faceless entity to be destroyed.

God, and Miami can spread out the scholarship losses how they want, meaning it's effectively a 0 scholarship reduction if they play it with half a brain. Goddamn.

No vacated wins or anything either. Hilarious.

USC lost more guys to injury on Saturday against Notre Dame than Miami is going to lose because of these "sanctions." Such bullshit.

How is 15 lost scholarships, 2 bowl bans, an ACCCG ban, 3 years of negative recruiting and everything else that came with this a "pat on the back"? It's not our fault this thing took almost 3 years and we got ahead of the thing and took "unprecedented" (their words, not mine) measures that caused the actual punishment today to be what it was. And it's even more not our fault that the NCAA had to pause the Miami investigation to investigate themselves for misconduct and wrongdoing, further delaying everything.

Because you did worse than USC and got less of a penalty?

Forced abortions and prostitution rings and get hit with just 9 scholarships.

Amazing. It is more risky not to cheat nowadays than it is to actually cheat.

I still find it hilarious all those years miami was cheating they couldnt get 10 wins or reach a bcs bowl in the acc.

mcgruber

While I can completely see TCU's offense doing nothing in that game, I can also see UT's offense accounting for a decent amount of points for TCU.

See: last year. It's very possible that McCoy won't make it to the end of the game depending on his o line. I really wonder what Mack would do in that scenario.

Crazy stat of the day!

OSU RBs: tackled for a loss 6 times in 210 carries (12 yds lost).
UM RBs: tackled for a loss 35 times in 200 carries (80 yds lost).

cashman

Banned
See: last year. It's very possible that McCoy won't make it to the end of the game depending on his o line. I really wonder what Mack would do in that scenario.

Swoopes would go in. Not really much of a debate there. Also they won't make Derp McCoy throw it nearly as much as Ash would have.

Swoopes would go in. Not really much of a debate there. Also they won't make Derp McCoy throw it nearly as much as Ash would have.

Well not so fast. This weeks depth chart has Case McCoy: Jalen Overstreet OR Tyrone Swoopes in that order.

In other words, if Case's helmet comes off during a play, and Mack needs a new QB for one play, surely he goes with Overstreet. I don't necessarily mind Swoopes burning his shirt, but for one play would be ridiculous

andycapps

UGA season in a nutshell.

@RadiNabulsi: #UGA RB situation today:

1. Todd Gurley - limited in practice
2. Keith Marshall - out
3. J.J. Green - limited
4. Brendan Douglas - limited

@RadiNabulsi: #UGA WR situation today

1 M Bennett -limited
2 M Mitchell -out
3 J Scott-Wesley -out
4 Chris Conley -out
5 R Wooten -out
6 McGowen -limited

God, and Miami can spread out the scholarship losses how they want, meaning it's effectively a 0 scholarship reduction if they play it with half a brain. Goddamn.

No vacated wins or anything either. Hilarious.

USC lost more guys to injury on Saturday against Notre Dame than Miami is going to lose because of these "sanctions." Such bullshit.
Couldn't they make it effective starting this year? They're already under the 85 limit.

Draxal

Just you wait until the Temple football scandal breaks.

What's Temple.

Aside from that, you can have scholarships removed because your athletic department doesn't know how to fill forms like Rutgers did. Had scholarships removed for incompetence instead of cheating.

If anyone watched the end of the ULL v. Arky State game, the commentator just called South Alabama an Up and coming program. ( after referencing their near win vs. Tennessee a few weeks ago )

cashman

Banned
Well not so fast. This weeks depth chart has Case McCoy: Jalen Overstreet OR Tyrone Swoopes in that order.

In other words, if Case's helmet comes off during a play, and Mack needs a new QB for one play, surely he goes with Overstreet. I don't necessarily mind Swoopes burning his shirt, but for one play would be ridiculous

I think the plan is to have a couple of packages for Overstreet (which they won't use), but to have Swoopes be the full time backup in case of injury.

Forced abortions and prostitution rings and get hit with just 9 scholarships.

Amazing. It is more risky not to cheat nowadays than it is to actually cheat.

I still find it hilarious all those years miami was cheating they couldnt get 10 wins or reach a bcs bowl in the acc.

If ya ain't cheatin' ya ain't tryin'.

Also which team cheated and go less for it, Miami or UNC?

mre

If anyone watched the end of the ULL v. Arky State game, the commentator just called South Alabama an Up and coming program. ( after referencing their near win vs. Tennessee a few weeks ago )

Actually, USA has put together a surprisingly solid team in just a few short years. Compare them to Georgia State, for example, who actually started their football program a year before USA (2008 compared to 2009). I'm not saying they're going to challenge for a playoff position within the next decade or two or three, but they're not bad for only having existed for ~4.5 years.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Someone's not a Chip Kelly fan...

You know the story before I've even written a word. The hotshot college coach who thought he could outsmart pro football. Teach the experts a thing or two. Save his quarterback's career. Spread out his receivers and conquer the big leagues. Press conferences full of hype all summer, then fall arrives, and … crickets. The coach came, he saw, he got conquered. He promised to reinvent the wheel, he left with the engine on fire.

You could throw 15 names into that story over the last 25 years, but this week it's the Eagles mastermind we're talking about. I've started calling him Chump Kelly.

You won't find many silver linings in this playbook.

Did you see the game Sunday? The one when the Eagles got embarrassed at home against the hated Dallas Cowboys? That was a genius on the Philadelphia sideline. A celebrity. A rock star. The guy who promised us 10 touchdowns before you could blink.

But there he was Sunday, staring into the distance while his high-powered offense scored three points in 60 minutes. Chip?

What a chump.

bachikarn

(FRI) Boise State @ BYU by 7
Nebraska @ Minnesota by 7
Houston @ Rutgers by 7
Northwestern @ Iowa by 7
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 7
Michigan State @ Illinois by7
Utah @ USC by 7
UCLA @ Oregon by 28
South Carolina @ Missouri by 8
Texas @ TCU by 8
Penn State @ Ohio State by 7
Stanford @ Oregon State by 8

Actually, USA has put together a surprisingly solid team in just a few short years. Compare them to Georgia State, for example, who actually started their football program a year before USA (2008 compared to 2009). I'm not saying they're going to challenge for a playoff position within the next decade or two or three, but they're not bad for only having existed for ~4.5 years.

Similar track with UTSA. Their first year playing football was 2011, and in 2012 they went 4-4 against FBS competition, and 8-4 overall. They seem to have taken a step back this year, but that is most likely due to the jump in quality of opponents. Georgia State struggling is somewhat a surprise given they began ( and still? ) play in the Georgia Dome. You would think that alone would draw in some decent recruits to field a competitive team.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
No Duke/VT game in pick 'em means I don't have to lie to myself this week. Good! I thought if we could finish 2-1 in October, that would hopefully lead to another bowl.

VT gon kill Duke tho.

Nebraska @ Minnesota by 10
Houston @ Rutgers by 7
Northwestern @ Iowa by 7
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 13
Michigan State @ Illinois by 3
Utah @ USC by 7
UCLA @ Oregon by 14
South Carolina @ Missouri by 7
Texas @ TCU by 7
Penn State @ Ohio State by 14
Stanford @ Oregon State by 10

Quake1028

Similar track with UTSA. Their first year playing football was 2011, and in 2012 they went 4-4 against FBS competition, and 8-4 overall. They seem to have taken a step back this year, but that is most likely due to the jump in quality of opponents. Georgia State struggling is somewhat a surprise given they began ( and still? ) play in the Georgia Dome. You would think that alone would draw in some decent recruits to field a competitive team.

Larryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Coker

Lonestar

Mizzou winning is no longer an upset?

If JFF doesnt play and is rested, Vandy will beat Texas AM I reckon.

Besides some Anti-Alabama statements, you've taken to this lovely sport with great intelligence. You definitely surpassed the 2 angry Louisville fans!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't even call this an upset. Might still be close though, A&M will still have their best player, just nobody to throw to him.

Fortunately for Aggie fans, Evans doesn't need it to be a remotely decent throw to do something with it.

Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 6 Monroeski posts

Not a bad prediction. 6 Pristine posts, though, would be a larger MOV than has ever been scored in college football history..

GAF Pick'em Week 9 Games

Nebraska @ Minnesota by 7
Houston @ Rutgers by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 6
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma by 6 Kingsbury is going on the ESPN CFB Podcast today, and every coach on it has lost their next game.
Michigan State @ Illinois by 10
Utah @ USC by 4
UCLA @ Oregon by 17 Go Bruins, though you probably won't win, if you keep it close it may help FSU stay at #2
South Carolina @ Missouri by 4
Texas @ TCU by 4
Penn State @ Ohio State by 13
Stanford @ Oregon State by 7

Good games this week. Most of them look like fairly close calls.

pxleyes

Banned
I find it amusing that FSU needs to cheer hard for Florida and Miami to win out, except when playing them. Outside of UF turning its season around, we may be the death knell to an FSU title hope even if we don't beat them.

Top Bottom