• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Eight Thread: UM 23 | MSU 21 | 00:00

I was talking with a friend last night about the FSU Clemson game, and how, at this point, we're going to be cheering for Clemson because we'd like to see them make it to the playoff.

Not sure if that makes me a bad fan.
You should never under any circumstance cheer for another team to defeat your own. Conference pride can come second

Ryuuroden

He also has 7-0 Houston unranked. And Memphis in the top 10.

Well yeah, because by default if the SEC is so fucking amazing then anyone that defeats an SEC team has to be, by default, fucking amazing. (I do think Memphis is good but not #10 good......yet) I think the current ranking of Memphis is actually a pretty fair spot. If they win out and other things happen, I do believe they deserve to at least be in the conversation although I still probably would leave them out of the playoffs. The 3 AAC teams have earned the right to be respected at the very least with being ranked and if one of them wins out against the rest as well as the other 2 having their only loses being to the winner of the conference then I think that will say a lot about that undefeated team and their conference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was talking with a friend last night about the FSU Clemson game, and how, at this point, we're going to be cheering for Clemson because we'd like to see them make it to the playoff.

Of course it does.

Screw Clemson and their crappy good season. I hope we bury them in our mediocrity.

Servbot24

Banned
Iowa top 10 :O

what is even happening this season

And now I just know we're going to lose to Maryland and Purdue and Wisconsin will win the West

Yeah was just going to post.

It has been an interesting run for George O'Leary. Ups and down and controversy, but he did a lot of good for UCF culminating with a Fiesta Bowl victory. I hope the UCF leadership can find the right replacement to get us back on track.

Pre season he was on top of the world as Athletic Director and head football coach. He lost both jobs within just a few months. He has earned a nice retirement though

Pre season he was on top of the world as Athletic Director and head football coach. He lost both jobs within just a few months. He has earned a nice retirement though

I was always skeptical of the AD thing. That's ultimately an error on part of the president. GOL, as he has stated during this season, hates politics and other crap associated with an AD position. The retirement from coaching thing has been rumored for awhile, though. As you can imagine, those rumors cause issues for recruiting. Either way, he would have been out this year as coach.

We did dodge a bullet by having a spectacularly bad season and that is it prevented our offensive coordinator from being considered for the HC job as originally planned. He's not even going to be the interim coach, it'll be our WR coach.

Draxal

Yeah was just going to post.

It has been an interesting run for George O'Leary. Ups and down and controversy, but he did a lot of good for UCF culminating with a Fiesta Bowl victory. I hope the UCF leadership can find the right replacement to get us back on track.

Schiano time.

Piano

Banned
Of course it does.

Screw Clemson and their crappy good season. I hope we bury them in our mediocrity.

Okay, let me put it this way:
I'll still be rooting for FSU but I've been preparing myself all season to lose to Clemson so when it inevitably happens I think I'll be okay feeling happy for the Clemson fans.

No similar concession of emotion for the gatas.

He doesn't want to leave Florida, and he's not going to get a P5 Florida job.

Well Miami might be opening up! How is he with the media and fans? That's probably going to be a bit of a consideration I would think given GOL, unless you understood him, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Sotha_Sil

Should have retired after the Fiesta Bowl. Couldn't have ended on a better note than that.

He did get UCF it's first bowl game, bowl win, division championship, conference championship, 10-win season, regular season ranking, end of year ranking, win over ranked team, win over top 10 team, and BCS bowl game. 6 division championships (4 conference championships) in 12 years. 3-4 record in bowl games (wins over Georgia and #5 Baylor).

The ESPN announcers said UCF has lost more starters/projected starters to injury than any other FBS team. Combined with graduating a bunch of guys the year before and several years of recruiting sanctions killing our depth, I'm not surprised he threw in the towel at last.

Should have retired after the Fiesta Bowl. Couldn't have ended on a better note than that.

He did get UCF it's first bowl game, bowl win, division championship, conference championship, 10-win season, regular season ranking, end of year ranking, win over ranked team, win over top 10 team, and BCS bowl game. 6 division championships (4 conference championships) in 12 years. 3-4 record in bowl games (wins over Georgia and #5 Baylor).

The ESPN announcers said UCF has lost more starters/projected starters to injury than any other FBS team. Combined with graduating a bunch of guys the year before and several years of recruiting sanctions killing our depth, I'm not surprised he threw in the towel at last.

Yup exactly. I will say, I hope the pains with the youth this season pay off because we'll have a lot of sophomores, juniors, and eventually seniors with a ton of experience. Really the only units we didn't initially have to replace were the QB and defensive line. And even then, the QBs and defensive line got hit with major injuries just like everyone else. All other units have basically been filled with freshmen - redshirt or true. Or players with little experience.

Edit: Press release just came out. GOL was ready to retire after the Fiesta Bowl but was convinced by UCF administration to stay on for two more years. This was his last year under contract - not 2017 or beyond as speculated.

Draxal

Well Miami might be opening up! How is he with the media and fans? That's probably going to be a bit of a consideration I would think given GOL, unless you understood him, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Golden and Schiano are both Paterno disciples. I would be shocked if Miami will go after him.

Golden and Schiano are both Paterno disciples. I would be shocked if Miami will go after him.

Oh knew that about Golden. Did not know that about Schiano. Then yeah, they may not go in that direction. Miami should just shut the program down. Hasn't been relevant since it left the Big East.

andycapps

Okay, let me put it this way:
I'll still be rooting for FSU but I've been preparing myself all season to lose to Clemson so when it inevitably happens I think I'll be okay feeling happy for the Clemson fans.

No similar concession of emotion for the gatas.
I don't understand this.

We will also have to pay Brent Key, our former O-Line coach and current offensive coordinator $700k to not coach. That's the real shitty part here.

Edit: Right on cue, Al Golden out at Miami. Fired.

Limedust

You're a hideous fan.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Cristobal can take one of these openings and Bama can get a new OL coach. He seems like a good recruiter but a blah coach.

Draxal

Maybe Cristobal can take one of these openings and Bama can get a new OL coach. He seems like a good recruiter but a blah coach.

He was going to be Rutgers head coach, but he inststed on a buyout deal if Miami opened up ... now nobody would touch him with how Alabama's ol has underperformed.

Top Bottom