• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Nine Thread: Clemson, Clemsoned

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Clemsoned / verb / to repeatedly drag one's genitalia across the face of an over-matched opponent.

Example: Up 42-0 at halftime, Clemson Clemsoned Miami by not going into the locker room at half-time.

5L8OEyq.png

WEEK NINE PICK 'EMS
NOTICE: THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF PASSING TDs IN ALL PICK 'EM GAMES!

Remember, I'm representing the spread next to the team favored to win by the number of points in parentheses next to them. You decide if that team will win by more than that amount of points (i.e., they'll "cover" the spread) or whether you think they will either win by fewer than that amount of points or just outright lose (either of these would be a "no cover" scenario). If you have questions, ask!

Rules:

1. 1 Point for every COVER/NO COVER pick you make correctly.
2. The Person with the highest total that weeks gets 3 bonus points.
3. Ties to determine who gets the bonus points will be based upon predicting the total number of passing TDs in all of this week's Pick 'Em Games (I'll call this the BONUS pick). For those who are tied, we'll look at this pick. Closest gets the bonus points.
4. If two people pick the same BONUS, then no one gets the bonus points. HOWEVER, if people are off from the BONUS by the same amount, but one went high and the other went low, then The Price is Right rules apply, and the person under the actual BONUS gets the bonus points.
Example: If the NUMBER OF PASSING TDs in all of the Pick 'Em games is actually 28, and one person guesses 20 and the other 36, then the person who guessed 20 gets the tiebreaker and the bonus points.​
5. If anyone correctly guesses the exact BONUS, they will receive 2 bonus points.

This Week's Games:

THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF PASSING TDs IN ALL PICK 'EM GAMES!
BONUS (Total # of Passing TDs) -

Saturday
Mississippi (-10.5) v. Auburn
Syracuse v. FSU (-20.5)
UCF v. Cincinnati (-27.5)
Rutgers v. Wisconsin (-20.5)
USC (-7.5) v. Cal
Oklahoma (-35.5) v. Kansas
Florida (-6.5) v. Georgia
Clemson (-10.5) v. NCSU
Notre Dame (-13.5) v. Temple
Stanford (-10.5) v. WSU

Here's an example FROM WEEK ONE as to how you should post your picks:

BONUS Game
BONUS - 18 Passing TDs
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Here is what is being said with those picks:

BONUS
BONUS - 18 passing TDs | This pick is for there to be a total # of 18 passing TDs in all of the Pick 'Em games this week.
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER | This pick is for SoCar to beat UNC by 4 or more points.
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER | This pick is for TCU to beat Minnesota by 20 or more points
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER | This pick is for Florida to either beat NMSU by 36 or fewer points or to lose to NMSU.
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER | This pick is for Auburn to beat Louisville by 15 or more points.
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER | This pick is for Nebraska to beat BYU by 10 or more points.
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Notre Dame to either beat Texas by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Texas.
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Alabama to either beat Wisconsin by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Wisconsin.
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER | This pick is USC to beat Arkansas State by 34 or more points.
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER | This pick is for Stanford to either beat Northwestern by 12 or fewer points or to lose to Northwestern.
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER | This pick is for OSU to beat VA Tech by 18 or more points.

Hey I actually remembered to subscribe to the thread by the first page this time!

Is it sad that ND's game against Temple is one of the biggest games they've played in a while?

Lunar15

Good ol' "we don't have anything to make fun of and we have an inferiority complex" jorts joke.

If it helps you deal with last year's walloping, then do what you must.

Lunar15

Can't really make any claims as to what's going to happen this year. I swear jacksonville is some kind of nonsense time parodox where every basic rule of nature goes out the window. Anyone going to the tailgate this year?

Anywho, I doubt McElwain wears jorts, but I guarantee you he wears cargo shorts.

Karl2177

Mark Mangino is out as the OC at Iowa State. Rhoads says he and Mangino weren't "on the same page."

Hmmm. I wonder if the decision to bench Sam Richardson for this week had anything to do with it. Rhoads is just lucky he was the boss of Mangino and could be in position to make the firing. Rhoads won't be there next year anyway I reckon
It's pretty left field at this point. From previous post-game interviews, Rhoads was always the one saying that Richardson would be the starter to let Lanning get some snaps in and get some experience. I also like how he says he hasn't told the team, but expects them to find out at the team meeting later today.

Even though the buyout is substantial, I'm guessing the writing is on the wall for Rhoads. Cue the search for our new hc this off-season.

andycapps

Good ol' "we don't have anything to make fun of and we have an inferiority complex" jorts joke.

If it helps you deal with last year's walloping, then do what you must.

Oh there's a lot more to make fun of. That's why this is hate week, not hate day.

Also, can it really be a joke if it's true? It's more of a statement of facts.

The contract that UGA and UF have with the city of Jacksonville to have the game at Everbank field is up next year. They're waiting to see what the Jags do as they're reducing club level seats by about 3k, and it's specified in the contract that the maximum capacity for the game cannot decrease. Temporary seats will have to be brought in that satisfy the schools for club level seating (reserved for top boosters). Apparently they're not ruling out moving the game to Dallas or Atlanta, though I'm guessing that they're just saying that to get the city to pay them a lot more money.

LOOKING FORWARD TO RUTGERS' DISMANTLING OF WISCONSIN THIS WEEK.

THE TEAM HAS A LOT TO PROVE TO COACH KYLE FLOOD AFTER THEY LAID AN EGG AGAINST OHIO STATE!

He did everything he could possibly have done to prepare them for victory. His coaching decisions were superb. It's just that Schiano's players failed him at key junctures throughout the game.

An absolute travesty. Flood deserves so much better.

It's pretty left field at this point. From previous post-game interviews, Rhoads was always the one saying that Richardson would be the starter to let Lanning get some snaps in and get some experience. I also like how he says he hasn't told the team, but expects them to find out at the team meeting later today.

Even though the buyout is substantial, I'm guessing the writing is on the wall for Rhoads. Cue the search for our new hc this off-season.

Yeah I don't think Mangino has been the problem. Rhodes needs to look in the mirror, but he's the head coach so he has the power to blame everyone else and is taking advantage of that. He needs to go imo

The contract that UGA and UF have with the city of Jacksonville to have the game at Everbank field is up next year. They're waiting to see what the Jags do as they're reducing club level seats by about 3k, and it's specified in the contract that the maximum capacity for the game cannot decrease. Temporary seats will have to be brought in that satisfy the schools for club level seating (reserved for top boosters). Apparently they're not ruling out moving the game to Dallas or Atlanta, though I'm guessing that they're just saying that to get the city to pay them a lot more money.

Here's a thought: alternate it between Athens and Gainesville.

Though nothing says "tradition" quite like Florida vs. Georgia in Texas.

andycapps

Here's a thought: alternate it between Athens and Gainesville.

Though nothing says "tradition" quite like Florida vs. Georgia in Texas.

It's a thought, but the neutral site and tickets being split 50/50 ends up with the game being much different than a traditional home and home. It's always loud.

Edit: beaten by pxl

jjasper

They are gonna stop Butch from getting another year.

That seems unlikely. The last five games are: Kentucky, Mizzou, Vandy, South Carolina, and North Texas all of which are awful. The team is gonna finish 5-0 and go 8-4. Pretty hard to fire a coach who had the best season in like 10 years with like 99% of the 2 deep back next year.

That seems unlikely. The last five games are, Kentucky, Mizzou, Vandy, South Carolina, and North Texas all of which are awful. The team is gonna finish 5-0 and go 8-4. Pretty hard to fire a coach who had the best season in like 10 years with like 99% of the 2 deep back next year.

You say that as if you won't inexplicably throw a game.

jjasper

You say that as if you won't inexplicably throw a game.

Losing 1 really wouldn't change much the team would need to lose 2 for him to be in any kind of danger. And that danger would be if he didn't win 9-10 games the next year. Only way he would be fired this year is going 5-7 or worse.

andycapps

Butch Jones isn't going anywhere. He's already improved the team and they'll be better next year with another good recruiting class. What he does need to work on is his second half game management.

MrJames

Sorry, but nothing beats a neutral field game like UF/UGA where the stands are split 50/50 right down the middle.

This. Besides, its the only time we get to see what that stadium looks like full.

Butch Jones isn't going anywhere. He's already improved the team and they'll be better next year with another good recruiting class. What he does need to work on is his second half game management.

Butch Jones has to stay at least another year. Doesn't he have a huge buyout? They're still paying for the Dooley buyout so I doubt they'd want three head football coaches on the payroll.

andycapps

Butch Jones has to stay at least another year. Doesn't he have a huge buyout? They're still paying for the Dooley buyout so I doubt they'd want three head football coaches on the payroll.

Probably, pretty sure they way overpaid him when he came in. Talk of firing Jones is so premature to me, I don't understand it. There are areas that he needs to improve, but those can be corrected.

ag-my001

How to not football in 2015 y'all

IS_36.jpg

Hope Seth is able to recover from this.
Yikes. So much has gone into teaching defenders better tackling techniques, but runners have got to learn not to dip their heads down either.

*has not seen the play in action, just going off that photo.

mclem

I've always done a double-take since I found out that there was a city that shared my surname. I am now finding the OP alternately disturbing and arousing.

Dsyndrome

I am kind of bitter about having the highest number of games picked right but confidence points throwing me off on Yahoo. Too bad I can't be like my losing brother in my other Pickem' and blame the cancelled LSU game from the beginning of the season.

Top Bottom