• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Six Thread: Auburn is a Weird Place

andycapps

Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 84

Thursday
Washington v. USC (-14.5) COVER

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5) COVER

Saturday
Indiana v. Penn State (-3.5) NO COVER
LSU (-20.5) v. USCe COVER
OU (-14.5) v. Texas COVER
Maryland v. OSUn (-23.5) COVER
Ga Tech v. Clempson (-7.5) COVER
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5) NO COVER
Boise State (-10.5) v. CSU NO COVER
Miami v. FSU (-10.5) NO COVER

Westonian

Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 45

Thursday
Washington v. USC (-14.5) - COVER

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5) - NO COVER

Saturday
Indiana v. Penn State (-3.5) - NO COVER
LSU (-20.5) v. USCe - COVER
OU (-14.5) v. Texas - NO COVER
Maryland v. OSUn (-23.5) - NO COVER
Ga Tech v. Clempson (-7.5) - NO COVER
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5) - NO COVER
Boise State (-10.5) v. CSU - COVER
Miami v. FSU (-10.5) - COVER

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Something dirty about college football stadium have corporate names.

It didn't really hit me how odd it was until I had already graduated. Partly because we generally just referred to it as "The Jones," and probably partly because "Jones SBC Stadium" (which is what it was before Jones AT&T) doesn't sound like quite as obvious of a sponsorship as the current name. When it changed to AT&T in '06 or '07 was when I realized how much of an outlier it was.

Whatever happened to what's his name, the one poster who was super super high on Rutgers but hasn't posted here in like 2 years.

jamesinclair.A true Rutgers PATRIOT.

IN other news, COACH FLOOD is an AMAZING BARGAIN FOR RUTGERS. He is the second lowest paid coach among Power 5 coaches. HIS RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!

3 BOWLS IN 3 YEARS. 4 4 STAR RECRUITS!

Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 64

Thursday

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5) No COVER

Saturday
Ga Tech v. Clemson (-7.5) COVER
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5) No COVER
Boise State (-10.5) v. CSU COVER
Miami v. FSU (-10.5) COVER

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So ESPN and some playoff committee folks determined they would have seeded LSU 1, Bama 2, Okie State 3, and Oregon 4 in 2011?

I have to call bullshit, that's some 20/20 hindsight if I've ever seen it. The entire point in the playoff committee was to avoid that situation, Bama would have been out in favor of Boise or Wisconsin.

chaos, why do you have the impression the playoff committee was formed to prevent LSU and Alabama? Consensus was that they were the two best teams, certainly 2 of the top 4. The committee is not out to prevent that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
chaos, why do you have the impression the playoff committee was formed to prevent LSU and Alabama? Consensus was that they were the two best teams, certainly 2 of the top 4. The committee is not out to prevent that.

Not specifically LSU and Bama, but rematches of regular season games from teams in the same division. Nobody outside of Alabama fans wanted to see Alabama playing for the title even if they were a better team than the alternatives, and the same would apply to a playoff.

If that situation were to happen again with, say, Oregon and Stanford, or Georgia and Florida, or OSU and Michigan, or whoever, I absolutely think the one loss team would be skipped over unless there was a massive drop off in quality teams leaving them without anyone else to reasonably put in.

Not specifically LSU and Bama, but rematches of regular season games from teams in the same division. Nobody outside of Alabama fans wanted to see Alabama playing for the title even if they were a better team than the alternatives, and the same would apply to a playoff.

If that situation were to happen again with, say, Oregon and Stanford, or Georgia and Florida, or OSU and Michigan, or whoever, I absolutely think the one loss team would be skipped over unless there was a massive drop off in quality teams leaving them without anyone else to reasonably put in.

If the committee ever skipped a better team because of a potential rematch, they would solidify themselves as a joke and the national championship would be just as mythical as ever. Fortunately, I do not believe for one second their mandate is to avoid that scenario. Put the best teams in, it doesn't matter if they've already played.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Got really close to happening with TCU and Baylor last season.

Give Florida State a loss at any point and make Ohio State's CCG win 31-28 (or a loss) instead of 59-0 and TCU and Baylor could very likely have been the "obvious" choices for 3 and 4, but there is no way both schools would have ended up getting in.

Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 64

Thursday
Washington v. USC (-14.5) NO COVER

Friday

Saturday
OU (-14.5) v. Texas NO COVER
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5) COVER

Quick and dirty, I had a long stretch of job interviews today and did zero real research on the matchups. Looking forward to another stunningly medicore outcome from this week's pickem.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
who the fuck is Luke Bryan, and why is he having a concert in the middle of nowhere, near enough my house, fucking up traffic in an area that has never had traffic.

They're closing schools early because of this, for pete's sake.

fucking "country" musak nonsense.

Go Dwags!

So ESPN and some playoff committee folks determined they would have seeded LSU 1, Bama 2, Okie State 3, and Oregon 4 in 2011?

I have to call bullshit, that's some 20/20 hindsight if I've ever seen it. The entire point in the playoff committee was to avoid that situation, Bama would have been out in favor of Boise or Wisconsin.

eh what? 2011 likely would've been LSU/Stanford or Oregon (Oregon had the head-to-head and the conference title, but Stanford had fewer losses and LSU/Oregon would've also been a rematch) and Alabama/Oklahoma State, in that scenario the #2/#3 debate doesn't matter and there was nobody else that was viable (you may have your seasons mixed up, Boise had 1 loss that year and Wisconsin had 2)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
eh what? 2011 likely would've been LSU/Stanford or Oregon (Oregon had the head-to-head and the conference title, but Stanford had fewer losses and LSU/Oregon would've also been a rematch) and Alabama/Oklahoma State, in that scenario the #2/#3 debate doesn't matter and there was nobody else that was viable (you may have your seasons mixed up, Boise had 1 loss that year and Wisconsin had 2)

I was basing that on their mock-CFP ranking. Wisconsin was 5, Boise was 6. I don't really agree with it, but it's what they came up with.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the entire reason we ditched the BCS was that season, and that outcome.

I'm sitting here on the Houston campus debating whether or not I should go to the game tonight. Always bad to miss AAC AAC AACtion. But I also would feel dirty.

Then again, it might be the only winning football I'll see all year.

Predict the total number of points scored! NOTICE! WE'RE STILL USING THE TOTAL POINTS SCORED IN THE GAME BY BOTH TEAMS!
Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 73

Thursday
Washington v. USC (-14.5) NO COVER

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5) NO COVER

Saturday
LSU (-20.5) v. USCe NO COVER
Ga Tech v. Clempson (-7.5)
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5) COVER - WE'RE OFF THE SCHNEID!

But Myles! they're paying you in priceless bruin education!!

"When you see people making money off of your likeness and your name ... nobody else wears No. 30 at UCLA. That jersey is mine," Jack told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike on Thursday morning. "I would like to receive compensation for what I've done. That's definitely something you're thinking about. I took all of that into consideration.

Yeeeeeah.

Subitai

Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 78

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
Indiana v. Penn State (-3.5) COVER
Miami v. FSU (-10.5) NO COVER

MrJames

Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 73

Thursday
Washington v. USC (-14.5) - NO COVER

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5) - COVER

Saturday
Indiana v. Penn State (-3.5) - NO COVER
LSU (-20.5) v. USCe - COVER
OU (-14.5) v. Texas - COVER
Maryland v. OSUn (-23.5) - NO COVER
Ga Tech v. Clempson (-7.5) NO COVER
Uconn v. UCF (-3.5) - NO COVER
Boise State (-10.5) v. CSU - NO COVER
Miami v. FSU (-10.5) - NO COVER

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hmm, sounds like the mysterious 4th person that was punched by Duke Williams was a teammate. lolol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Washington State v. Oregon - TPS Pick: 76

Thursday

Friday
NCSU v. Va Tech (-2.5) No Cover

Saturday
Ga Tech v. Clempson (-7.5) COVER

From the Sports Center Twitter:

CQ1kxYLWwAAo5FR.png

"If you're wondering why the USC game is so sparsely attended".

cdyhybrid

Travis Feeney's haircut is amazing.

A sack! Big play. We need to hang on and start punishing USC for all these mistakes. We won't be getting the ball in their half of the field the whole game.

cdyhybrid

Glad to see Gaskin getting more carries. Hopefully Smith doesn't forget all this after the drive like he did with D. Washington last week.

Top Bottom