• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Three Thread: Make College Football Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bucknut, forgot to ask you, how was the trip to Hokieville? :D

It was good, fans were super nice but lack of bars around campus kinda of hampered pregamming. Stadium is legit and enter sandman is cool. I posted some pics and a bigger write up I think in the week 2 thread.

Draxal

I saw the latest from the Star-Ledger which mentioned an "altercation" between a girl Carroo knows and another girl.

Are the rumors Ray Rice territory?

Sort of an update, supposedly altercation between Leonte's family and three Rutgers employees (all female), one hospitalized.

ag-my001

Gave up on the yahoo one, its UI is way too big of a pain in the ass for me to care
I think the UI is helping me out. I do it on the phone, so I pick nearly all favorites. Since the confidence points are a pain, I just start high and go lower as I look for the 'locks'.

Dsyndrome

ND up a spot in the AP, that'll change for better or worse after Saturday.

Hopefully the pressure doesn't get too much for DeShone Kizer against GT this week, first game starting as a redshirt freshman and it's the not the Minutemen.

Ugh I suck at these pick'ems! :(

USC rolled again last night, so combined with the Mich St game it was a pretty entertaining night.

Agreed. Kinda pissed at one in particular, UT alum has his wedding on Texas OU weekend...

Up in the hills, and struggle-ass wifi as well. Watched the MSU game huddled around a phone with some Oregon grads. Luckily, there was plenty of booze.

Also, the BTN2Go app is turrible. Tried to watch the OSU game, and it was basically an interactive slideshow. I have it saved on my DVR-is it worth the watch?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
WEEK THREE PICK 'EMS

Remember, I'm representing the spread next to the team favored to win by the number of points in parentheses next to them. You decide if that team will win by more than that amount of points (i.e., they'll "cover" the spread) or whether you think they will either win by fewer than that amount of points or just outright lose (either of these would be a "no cover" scenario). If you have questions, ask!

Rules:

1. 1 Point for every COVER/NO COVER pick you make correctly.
2. The Person with the highest total that weeks gets 3 bonus points.
3. Ties to determine who gets the bonus points will be based upon the MOV game. This week, it's Air Force vs. Michigan State. For those who are tied, we'll look at their MOV pick. Closest gets the bonus points.
4. If two people pick the same MOV, then no one gets the bonus points. HOWEVER, if people are off from the MOV by the same amount, but one went high and the other went low, then The Price is Right rules apply, and the person under the actual MOV gets the bonus points.

Example: If the MOV in the game is actually 18, and one person guesses 20 and the other 16, then the person who guessed 16 gets the tiebreaker and the bonus points.​

This Week's Games:

MOV Game (Tiebreaker ONLY)
Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by _____

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5)
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5)
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5)
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5)
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5)
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5)
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas

Here's an example FROM WEEK ONE as to how you should post your picks:

Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - MSU by 28
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Here is what is being said with those picks:

Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - MSU by 28 | This pick is for MSU to beat WMU by 28 points.
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER | This pick is for SoCar to beat UNC by 4 or more points.
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER | This pick is for TCU to beat Minnesota by 20 or more points
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER | This pick is for Florida to either beat NMSU by 36 or fewer points or to lose to NMSU.
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER | This pick is for Auburn to beat Louisville by 15 or more points.
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER | This pick is for Nebraska to beat BYU by 10 or more points.
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Notre Dame to either beat Texas by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Texas.
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Alabama to either beat Wisconsin by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Wisconsin.
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER | This pick is USC to beat Arkansas State by 34 or more points.
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER | This pick is for Stanford to either beat Northwestern by 12 or fewer points or to lose to Northwestern.
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER | This pick is for OSU to beat VA Tech by 18 or more points.

By the way, do you guys prefer only "marquee" match-ups, or do you like smaller games like Wake vs. Army thrown into the mix? I'm not changing it this week, but it will help me pick the games next week.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 28

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville COVER

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army COVER
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5) COVER
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5) NO COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5) NO COVER
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5) COVER
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5) NO COVER
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5) NO COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas CYAN

mre

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 28

Thursday

Saturday
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas CYAN
I put this down as "Cover" because both "cover" and "cyan" start with C.

I like the mix youre doing, think it would be fun to see a few super high spread games thrown in every so often.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 24

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville Cover

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army Cover
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5) No Cover
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5) No Cover
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5) Cover
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5) Cover
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue Cover
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5) Cover
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5) No cover
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas Cover

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 31

Thursday

Saturday
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5) COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5) COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas COVER

I think the current lines on GT vs. ND and Wake Forest vs. Army aren't very realistic. The latter especially feels like this week's Memphis vs. Kansas, i.e. a sure bet. Wake actually looked OK in their win and loss except for the 2nd half of the Syracuse game, and well teams poop their pants sometimes this early in the year.

ag-my001

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 21

Thursday

Saturday
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5) COVER

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 18

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville - COVER

Saturday
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5) NO COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas NO COVER

mre

I like the mix youre doing, think it would be fun to see a few super high spread games thrown in every so often.
Will try to do more of those. there were actually a lot of good games this week, though.

Thanks all for the input. Keep it coming.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this Toledo thing doesn't convince Arkansas to abandon the new style of offense they're trying to install. I like our chances a lot better if they back away from the power run game that we have shown no particular ability to even almost slow down over the last few seasons. IIRC at times in the game last season they had 20+ straight running plays and they just kept scoring touchdowns.

Hopefully our offense keeps hitting on all cylinders and makes them try to match us in a shootout.

::edit::
Just did a quick look over the play-by-play on ESPN.com. In the first half last season, they mixed in some passes and led the game 28-21 at halftime (including at least one TD we gave them with a turnover). In the second half, they had 1 pass, then 10 runs, then 1 incomplete pass, then 30 runs. TD on every drive they had except the one that ended the game and they won 49-28.

ag-my001

I agree. You know which team is going to win (except Arky and Auburn), but with the spread, it gets interesting. Do they start off fast enough to reach the spread? Do they rest starters early? Do the backups give up garbage time points?

mre

I hope this Toledo thing doesn't convince Arkansas to abandon the new style of offense they're trying to install. I like our chances a lot better if they back away from the power run game that we have shown no particular ability to even almost slow down over the last few seasons. IIRC at times in the game last season they had 20+ straight running plays and they just kept scoring touchdowns.

Hopefully our offense keeps hitting on all cylinders and makes them try to match us in a shootout.
The injury bug has devastated Arkansas, so you guys should have a good chance.

ag-my001

I'll pull for you guys to win, Monroeski, but I don't want them switching back to running focus for our game the following week. If you could arrange for your defense to give up a few big plays to keep it close, I'd appreciate it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The injury bug has devastated Arkansas, so you guys should have a good chance.

I hope so. We're 2-0 now and there are only two games left on the schedule that we'll probably be favored in given what we know right now - Kansas and Iowa State. Going to have to find two more wins somewhere in order to go bowling.

Previously thought it would probably have to be KSU and Oklahoma State, and that's not even because I thought they were the two worst teams left; Texas always kicks our ass lately no matter how bad they look (I've mentioned before that they beat us with Garrett Gilbert and with Case McCoy twice), and while even before the last two weeks I didn't think Arkansas was all that good the Bielema style of play at Wisconsin and previously at Arkansas was a hellacious matchup problem for us.

Thinking now that if we do finish the season with only 6 wins then KSU and Arkansas are the likely candidates to get us there.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to hold off on this post for a while so I didn't make a huge Pristine-level wall of text but none of you jerks came around to post in the middle and break these up. Now you get two posts instead of me just editing the old one.

I'll pull for you guys to win, Monroeski, but I don't want them switching back to running focus for our game the following week. If you could arrange for your defense to give up a few big plays to keep it close, I'd appreciate it.

Anything can happen, of course, but I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. I only worry because they have in the past shown a propensity towards power running and we're coming off of a season with probably the worst P5 run defense in the country, if not the worst run defense in the country period, and we haven't done anything yet this season to prove we're any better. Their power run game wasn't really even all that good last year if you look at the stats; people overrated them IMO based on Bielema's track record at Wisconsin, their OL that would have been the biggest OL in the NFL at the time, and the fact that they had 933 yards rushing against us and Nicholls State in back to back weeks early in the season.

People DON'T remember that last season they still ended up 26th in the country in rushing yards/game, and the 933 yards against us (possible worst run defense in the country) and Nicholls State (0-12 FCS team) accounted for about 33% of their total rushing yards.

cdyhybrid

Someone explain Sagarin's rankings to me:

Stanford: 22
Northwestern: 30

Washington: 26
Boise St: 41

Oregon: 15
Michigan St: 21

Michigan: 38
Utah: 40

Arkansas: 37
Toledo: 50

Like, WTF?

You mean noted Pac-12 homer Jeff Sagarin?

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 21

Thursday

Saturday

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 10

Thursday

Saturday
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5) COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas NO COVER

Lunar15

Will next week be Kentucky's first win against us in 29 tries? I would not be surprised.

Like with everything this year, total crapshoot. I would not be shocked if we lost to any team on our schedule this year. It's that kind of year.

That said, just when I felt comfortable about Grier gettting the starting job, he had some really worrisome plays last night. Dude had 3 or 4 times when the ball should have been intercepted. He had some bad reads. Oh well, we just need to pick one and stick with it. I think it shows when you're rotating quarterbacks and the team doesn't really know who they're going to be playing under.

KingGondo

Banned
I hope so. We're 2-0 now and there are only two games left on the schedule that we'll probably be favored in given what we know right now - Kansas and Iowa State. Going to have to find two more wins somewhere in order to go bowling.

Previously thought it would probably have to be KSU and Oklahoma State, and that's not even because I thought they were the two worst teams left; Texas always kicks our ass lately no matter how bad they look (I've mentioned before that they beat us with Garrett Gilbert and with Case McCoy twice), and while even before the last two weeks I didn't think Arkansas was all that good the Bielema style of play at Wisconsin and previously at Arkansas was a hellacious matchup problem for us.

Thinking now that if we do finish the season with only 6 wins then KSU and Arkansas are the likely candidates to get us there.
I'm a bit afraid after having seen our first two games including one in person.

Rudolph is legit. Our skill positions are legit. Our defense is legit. Even our special teams look solid, especially our punter.

Our interior OL is pure unadulterated ass.

We cannot run the ball, even against Central Arkansas and Central Michigan. Unless that changes we're looking at a very up and down season.

I think it shows when you're rotating quarterbacks and the team doesn't really know who they're going to be playing under.

I think it's more related to your opponents than your team. Against NMSU both QBs looked in sync with the WRs and TEs, but that's when you have a ton of time to scan the field.

In my opinion, Treon should start next week and stay there unless he just starts throwing picks left and right.

Will try to do more of those. there were actually a lot of good games this week, though.

Thanks all for the input. Keep it coming.

By the way, I asked this in the thread on Saturday, but I don't know if you saw it-if one wants to make changes to their picks, is it better to do it in the thread, edit the original post, or PM you? I changed my Oregon pick in the morning, but I didn't get a chance to see if you caught it.

For what it's worth, I'd also like to pick some games against huge numbers. I find those picks more interesting to figure out.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 17

Thursday

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army NO COVER

Karl2177

So is the consensus that the Arkansas loss wasn't because Toledo is good, but because Arkansas was overrated? I just want to know Iowa State's chances this week against Toledo.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 45

Thursday

Saturday

Yahoo Pick 'Em Update

For the second week in a row "I just picked them randomly" Randolph's Free Land got the most points. So as of week two his dropped week is higher than I will score all season.

Interesting picks:

Everybody picked Maryland to win (BIG BIAS). Only two solitary idiots picked it for their lock of the week.

Everyone picked ND to beat Virginia and put a huge number of total points into that bet. I'm sure everyone's prayers to do well in the pick 'em this week helped Notre Dame eke out that last second win while still allowing the haters to enjoy some delicious anti-Notre Dame schadenfreude (Get well soon, Malik!).

Three people picked Kansas to win a game. They all scored more points than me.

Next week, once the sample size increases above 2. I'll post who is leading overall alongside the weekly winners and my own incoherent ramblings.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
mre, wouldn't this be the week 3?

Air Force vs. Michigan State - Michigan State by 28

Thursday

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army - COVER
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5) - COVER
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5) - COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5) - NO COVER
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5) - COVER
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue - COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5) - COVER
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5) - NO COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas - COVER

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 18

Thursday

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army - COVER
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5) - NO COVER
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5) - NO COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5) - NO COVER
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5) - NO COVER
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue - NO COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5) - NO COVER
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5) - NO COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas - NO COVER

diehard

Fleer
UCLA is favored by 16.5 now, I get that BYU will probably lose that one but whens the last time the line was that big on #10 vs #19 team?

cashman

Banned
Looks like this is going to be a REVENGE game for Cal

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 24

Thursday

Saturday
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5) NO COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5) COVER

Hmmm.. USC favored by 9.5 over Stanford, eh? I'd take USC and give the points.

But on to the actual pick'em... 14.5 is tricky. I think USC will win by 14, but fuck it, I'm giving my Trojan homer LOCK OF THE WEEK approval.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by _____wait wtf
Fuck this forced pick

AIR FORCE BY 3

Thursday

Saturday

mre

By the way, I asked this in the thread on Saturday, but I don't know if you saw it-if one wants to make changes to their picks, is it better to do it in the thread, edit the original post, or PM you? I changed my Oregon pick in the morning, but I didn't get a chance to see if you caught it.
PM. I went to Bama's game so I definitely missed it. I know, Yahoo! doesn't go to games... :p
mre, wouldn't this be the week 3?
Yep, thanks. Stupid cut and paste.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
A decade later, with a different president, chancellor, AD, coach, group of assistant coaches, group of players, set of student fans...

I mean, I still care. :p And I'm sure I'm not the only older fan to care. But I wonder if the coach will even bring it up at all.

that's not the college football way man

grudges never die

andycapps

I really don't like picking my team.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 31

Thursday

Saturday