• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Three Thread: Make College Football Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

I don't really know how "good" the other top 5-6 teams are, but MSU has some glaring issues on special teams and in the secondary. Gave up 279 rushing yards (against triple option, but still probably too much for the D), too. At the same time AFA was a pretty good 10-3 team last year.

Obviously no team is peaking or hitting on all cylinders right now, but for some reason that #2 AP ranking bothers me. All that matters is that the Spartans keep winning - the schedule leading to 11/21 is favorable but no cakewalk. One game at a time.

Dsyndrome

I don't really know how "good" the other top 5-6 teams are, but MSU has some glaring issues on special teams and in the secondary. Gave up 279 rushing yards (against triple option, but still probably too much for the D), too. At the same time AFA was a pretty good 10-3 team last year.

Obviously no team is peaking or hitting on all cylinders right now, but for some reason that #2 AP ranking bothers me. All that matters is that the Spartans keep winning - the schedule leading to 11/21 is favorable but no cakewalk. One game at a time.
We gave up two touchdowns in 56 seconds after holding back the Triple Option all game before, currently on QB #3 if you count Golson. Everyone's got their baggage unfortunately.

ag-my001

2 points this week, 1 point the previous.

I'd like to thank mre for his work to remind us that gambling is a tax on the dumb. Now to grab some Powerball tickets, where the odds of winning are much more reasonable.

Take care of business, good things will happen. That's all there is to it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Week 3 Pick 'Em Results

Total Score

If I'm near the top, y'all are slacking something fierce.

Nebraska's remaining season and my predictions

USM - W
*@ ILL - W
*WIS - L
*@ MINN - W
*NW - ?
*PUR - W
MSU - OH GOD THE BLOODSHED CALL AN AMBULANCE
@ RUTG - W
IOWA - W

If Nebraska makes it past Wisconsin, they can for some reason make it all the way to the conference championship. Their consolation prize would be to be devoured by Ohio State or get re-spanked by MSU, so.... poop

Bowl - Holiday

Yeah we're boned

Might as well pay rent to the Holiday Bowl crew

FyreWulff

If I'm near the top, y'all are slacking something fierce.

Yeah we're boned

Might as well pay rent to the Holiday Bowl crew

The TV announcers for the Miami game even highlighted the MSU game on the schedule when when it was up on the screen and said "that one isn't going to be pretty"

Caught up on the thread. (~600 posts added since last reading it last night.)

Miserable week for me in the pick 'ems. As far as Yahoo, that's what I get for putting big points on heavy favorites despite not believing in them (though I believed in Alabama). I was asking myself all along "do I really trust Arkansas, USC, or UCLA?" (Though UCLA at least fought back and won.) Still, I didn't like many of the other matchups, either.

Texas frantically looking for their phone

Even though Texas is 1-2, I think Charlie's job is secure, and it doesn't seem like many fans want him gone or anything. I think he has another year to turn it around as long as we don't finish 3-9 or something abysmal like that. He may need to revamp his coordinators again sometime this season though

andycapps

This might just be the year where Georgia doesn't fuck it up. It really might be.
1UKKetE.jpg

really, if you're currently undefeated in a P5 conference all you need to do is keep winning, no point in complaining about where you're ranked

I'm a little upset Baylor and Notre Dame are ranked ahead of Georgia. But there's a long way to go yet.

I don't know why SEC fans get upset about being ranked behind any team that isn't in the SEC. Everyone knows it doesn't matter what your ranking is in the SEC as long as you win the conference you're going to the playoffs.

Stanford converted as many third downs last night as #USC did all season (8)

andycapps

I don't know why SEC fans get upset about being ranked behind any team that isn't in the SEC. Everyone knows it doesn't matter what your ranking is in the SEC as long as you win the conference you're going to the playoffs.
I'm not an SEC fan. Did I complain about UGA not being ahead of Michigan State and tOSU? I mentioned two specific teams that I don't see the justification for, but as I mentioned, it doesn't really matter this early in the year. Win out, and things will take care of themselves.

I'm not an SEC fan. Did I complain about UGA not being ahead of Michigan State and tOSU? I mentioned two specific teams that I don't see the justification for, but as I mentioned, it doesn't really matter this early in the year. Win out, and things will take care of themselves.

I meant fan of an SEC school. Is Georgia not in the SEC?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The only teams on Georgia's schedule that wouldn't be massive upsets are Bama and maaaaybe GT. Georgia should be a solid favorite in both of those games though. I'd guess they are one of the more likely teams to go undefeated into the playoffs.

El_Chino

New AP Poll:

1 Ohio State (42) 3-0
2 Michigan State (7) 3-0
3 TCU 3-0
3 Mississippi (11) 3-0
5 Baylor 2-0
6 Notre Dame 3-0
7 Georgia 3-0
8 LSU (1) 2-0
9 UCLA 3-0
10 Florida State 3-0
11 Clemson 3-0
12 Alabama 2-1
13 Oregon 2-1
14 Texas A&M 3-0
15 Oklahoma 3-0
16 Arizona 3-0
17 Northwestern 3-0
18 Utah 3-0
19 USC 2-1
20 Ga Tech 2-1
21 Stanford 2-1
22 Wisconsin 2-1
22 BYU 2-1
24 Oklahoma St 3-0
25 Missouri 3-0

Others Receiving Votes:

Mississippi St. 52, West Virginia 48, Tennessee 45, California 38, Toledo 36, Arizona St. 25, Houston 22, Auburn 20, Temple 20, Texas Tech 20, Boise St. 17, Miami 13, Iowa 10, Kansas St. 8, Florida 7, NC State 5, Minnesota 4, Virginia Tech 4, Memphis 1

How is Mizzou ranked?

andycapps

I meant fan of an SEC school. Is Georgia not in the SEC?

Of course. Thought you were saying my opinion was solely due to being an SECSECSEC fan vs being a fan of my school but fuck all the other schools (which is my opinion).

The only teams on Georgia's schedule that wouldn't be massive upsets are Bama and maaaaybe GT. Georgia should be a solid favorite in both of those games though. I'd guess they are one of the more likely teams to go undefeated into the playoffs.

Solid favorite to Bama at home? Doubt it. UGA probably opens as -3.5-4. If they would have just settled on one QB, they wouldn't have lost Saturday and they'd be coming to town favored by a few.

You've gone and done it now.

You just guaranteed inexplicable losses to Mizzou and Auburn. Why would you do that to andy?

Now Bama's gonna murder Georgia.

Who are they going to lose to in the East? Who? The only team that will challenge them is Tennessee. I think Chubb and Sony will lead you to victory and even with the letdown loss. They can still make the playoffs

USC and Texas will probably have a disgusting bidding war.

That would be kind of entertaining.. Just a little.

andycapps

Who are they going to lose to in the East? Who? The only team that will challenge them is Tennessee. I think Chubb and Sony will lead you to victory and even with the letdown loss. They can still make the playoffs

I've been trained to lead a lifetime of pessimism regarding UGA. I'm not even really sure what I expect at this point, other than that I don't like to be pinned down one way or the other on how I think the season will go because I don't want to jinx anything. The team looked great the other day.

I'll say that it's a shame that Lambert didn't get all the player of the week awards after setting an NCAA, school, and conference record for completion percentage in a game. And Nick Chubb is about to tie Herschel Walker's record for consecutive 100 yard rushing games. Just needs one more (total of 12).

Looks like Herbie and the lady from the Blindside got into it on Twitter the other day. While I think she was being ridiculous, I feel like he shouldn't stoop to that level. Just ignore the trolls. She does bring up a point that I find really annoying with American sports media in general, which is a lack of actual insightful commentary. Usually they play up the favored team as being in control or talk about how intimidating the atmosphere is, and the whole game the focus is on them. But when there's a shift in the momentum then they start to call it the other way. It's hard to explain, but I guess I'm saying that it feels like they're reading bullet points that have been written for them, and then sometimes they're confronted with a script change halfway through and have to completely contradict everything they said in the first half.

I prefer to skip the narrative, tell me what's going on. Tell me about the different personnel formations being used, how well the players are doing their assignments, etc. Herbstreit could hopefully give some good insight on whether a QB is doing his drop properly or whether he's selling play action well, etc.

I've been trained to lead a lifetime of pessimism regarding UGA. I'm not even really sure what I expect at this point, other than that I don't like to be pinned down one way or the other on how I think the season will go because I don't want to jinx anything. The team looked great the other day.

I'll say that it's a shame that Lambert didn't get all the player of the week awards after setting an NCAA, school, and conference record for completion percentage in a game. And Nick Chubb is about to tie Herschel Walker's record for consecutive 100 yard rushing games. Just needs one more (total of 12).

Looks like Herbie and the lady from the Blindside got into it on Twitter the other day. While I think she was being ridiculous, I feel like he shouldn't stoop to that level. Just ignore the trolls.

He really does a lot.. After the Tressel story. Asshole OSU fans shat on him and he got off twitter for a while.

Also Andy, think positive. This might be it.

Ganhyun

Looks like Herbie and the lady from the Blindside got into it on Twitter the other day. While I think she was being ridiculous, I feel like he shouldn't stoop to that level. Just ignore the trolls. She does bring up a point that I find really annoying with American sports media in general, which is a lack of actual insightful commentary. Usually they play up the favored team as being in control or talk about how intimidating the atmosphere is, and the whole game the focus is on them. But when there's a shift in the momentum then they start to call it the other way. It's hard to explain, but I guess I'm saying that it feels like they're reading bullet points that have been written for them, and then sometimes they're confronted with a script change halfway through and have to completely contradict everything they said in the first half.

I prefer to skip the narrative, tell me what's going on. Tell me about the different personnel formations being used, how well the players are doing their assignments, etc. Herbstreit could hopefully give some good insight on whether a QB is doing his drop properly or whether he's selling play action well, etc.

Being trained to be pessimistic is courtesy of Munson. We could be blowing someone out in a game but we'd be struggling to stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom