• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Three Thread: Make College Football Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Fair enough.

I'm just glad that players have a choice now. Go play for a militaristic, big-brother respectability politics fascist or play for someone who allows you to be yourself and reflect your culture within reason.

The Schianos of the world are becoming increasingly marginalized.

They are ... but let's just say Rutgers would never have won the Fullmer Cup if Schiano was here.

And programs have to absolutely watch twitter ... one our recruits from a couple years back ... was noticed to be spreading a lot of crap on twitter.... and surprise surprise he was the one that committed the most egregious of crimes (depending on Leonte's situation ... I have heard so many rumors about this one).

KingGondo

Banned
They are ... but let's just say Rutgers would never have won the Fullmer Cup if Schiano was here.
There's a middle ground between letting anyone play for your program and being the damn thought police.

I'd love to see the tweets that were deemed to constitute "misconduct" by SMU.

andycapps

I don't think it's that surprising that schools pull offers for recruits that behave in a way they don't condone on social networks. What is odd is publicizing that. Usually it's done quietly. I guess they want the kid and others to know that what they put on social media impacts their future. I'm not sure I have a problem with that. Because they'll definitely find it out one day when they're in the workforce.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
To be fair to SMU, if anyone needs to be cautious about recruiting practices, it should be them.
I agree 100%. I just think it's a bad move to announce to the world that you're doing it. "Don't go to SMU where BIG BROTHER is watching you 24/7. Come to Texas where we won't tell you that we monitor your tweeters. Oh, wait, you're a five star QB? Would you like to play defensive back? No? Okay, we're going to have to take that scholarship offer back now. Thanks."

andycapps

Oh this is good.

When you call out the defending national champion and No. 1 team in the country for a weak schedule, then turn around and lose to a three-touchdown underdog from the MAC three days later, yeah, people are going to notice. And unfortunately for Bret Bielema, that means people outside the world of college football too.

People like, say, Rex Ryan. Via 247Sports, the Buffalo Bills coach was asked Wednesday about the challenge of facing the Super Bowl champion Patriots twice a season (thanks to both playing in the AFC East) and had this to say:

"Do I wish the Patriots were in a different division? I mean yeah, probably. Could play somebody else. Not gonna mention any names. I'm not gonna pull [an] Arkansas coach."

ryseing

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 28

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville- COVER

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army- NO COVER
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5)- COVER
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5)- NO COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5)- NO COVER
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5)- COVER
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue- NO COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5)- NO COVER
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5)- NO COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas- COVER

LB Curt Maggitt out indefinitely for Tennessee. Butch says it could be anywhere from 6-10 weeks.

Always sucks to hear a player injured but obviously helps Tennessee's opponents as it's a huge loss.

KingGondo

Banned
Sam Vecenie ‏@Sam_Vecenie 5m
Seriously…we get to see Rutgers without a head coach vs. Kansas in football. This is going to be the most glorious of all football games.
Eh, Kansas is really, really bad.

Like, lose to South Dakota State at home bad. Lose by 32 to Memphis at home bad.

Won't be much of a game even if Rutgers is a dumpster fire. Kansas is currently a flaming dumpster factory.

Cagey

Banned
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 10m
#Rutgers coach Kyle Flood has been suspended 3 games & fined $50,000: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/kyle_flood_suspended_as_rutgers_coach.html …

Seriously…we get to see Rutgers without a head coach vs. Kansas in football. This is going to be the most glorious of all football games.

With a spate of arrests and suspending the coach for a minute or two for the appearance of control, Rutgers is well on its way to becoming a #B1Gtime program.

We just need to work on having police departments complicit in hiding these silly things like "group assaults" and "home invasions" and "slamming women into concrete" before they hit the papers. Then we'd be truly a powerhouse.

My hopes and desires of getting Flood out of Rutgers is coming more and more likely with this news.

Honestly as nice as he may be, he can't coach, and he is such a cold fish recruiter to boot.

andycapps

UGA's linebacker coach Kevin Sherrer's sister and SO were murdered today. Sherrer was a tight end at Alabama and was also a grad assistant and player relations coordinator there as well as coaching stints at a couple highschools in Bama. Looks like they lived in an area just north of Birmingham.

RIP.

Cagey

Banned
My hopes and desires of getting Flood out of Rutgers is coming more and more likely with this news.

Honestly as nice as he may be, he can't coach, and he is such a cold fish recruiter to boot.

I had the same thoughts the moment the academic scandal broke ("...we can fire him for this, right? this is life giving us an out, just like with Tampa and Schiano! seize the day!").

That was before the arrests. At this point, it's gone from hoping for an excuse to remove a mediocre coach to needing to remove him.

DII Tarleton State has had some unfortunate luck these past 5 years

# of deaths by year in the Tarleton State Football program

2010: 1
2011: 0
2012 2*
2013: 0
2014: 3**
2015: 0

* one of the two deaths here was the football announcer. (suicide)
** one of the three deaths that year was a secretary for the program (semi-truck accident)

Draxal

It's pretty bad for Flood, as contacting the professor in person when he was told not to .... is completely idiotic on his part.

Draxal

Fwiw's, what Flood did isn't an NCAA violation, it's a violation of Rutgers COC.

reading more and more into this.

I like Flood as a person, but the way he handled this was so extremely dumb that I can't believe he was fired dumb.

So when I was looking for videos of BYU's "miraculous" victories this past couple weeks, I find instead videos of their dirty players all over google. I remember the Memphis fight from last years bowl game. I thought these dudes were all Mormons?! Is BYU recruiting from prison now?

Draxal

Honestly, I think there's a good chance Flood never coaches again at Rutgers, the suspension probably buys them the time to fire him with cause.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So when I was looking for videos of BYU's "miraculous" victories this past couple weeks, I find instead videos of their dirty players all over google. I remember the Memphis fight from last years bowl game. I thought these dudes were all Mormons?! Is BYU recruiting from prison now?
I don't think that's true, but I could be wrong.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 10m
#Rutgers coach Kyle Flood has been suspended 3 games & fined $50,000: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/kyle_flood_suspended_as_rutgers_coach.html …

dumpfire_400x400.jpg

Talon

A religious university that doesn't act according to its faith tenets?

Wuttttttt? That never happens.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Arkansas gets the #5 "honorary" spot in the ESPN Bottom 10 this week.

"Life's funny, ain't it, coach? One day you're ripping people for playing the teams on this list. The next day you're one of the teams on this list."

cdyhybrid

Arkansas gets the #5 "honorary" spot in the ESPN Bottom 10 this week.

"Life's funny, ain't it, coach? One day you're ripping people for playing the teams on this list. The next day you're one of the teams on this list."

I generally dislike this list. I feel like it should be limited to big-time programs and not be used to shit on small programs that wouldn't have a chance to compete with the big schools anyway.

Like, Kansas and Arky on there is fine. Shitting on a bunch of Sun Belt/Mountain West teams is no fun.

Draxal

I generally dislike this list. I feel like it should be limited to big-time programs and not be used to shit on small programs that wouldn't have a chance to compete with the big schools anyway.

Like, Kansas and Arky on there is fine. Shitting on a bunch of Sun Belt/Mountain West teams is no fun.

I honestly think ESPN feels some pity for us, as I can't believe we're not on that list.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Well, it is supposed to be the actual 10 (really 9) worst teams out there. Those will generally be found in the lower tier conferences. The writing is comedic but the actual list of teams is literal, outside of the #5 slot Arkansas is currently in that is reserved for teams that aren't TRULY one of the worst 10 teams but that did something shame-worthy in the last week. Kansas right now just plain deserves to be down on that list with a bunch of G5s.

Wyoming probably deserves to make that list. Their entire defense is more or less redshirt/true freshmen and they have an offense that ran for over 400 yards last week in their loss but threw for only 32 yards and made like 6 out of 20 completions. It's going to be hilarious when Wazzu plays them this weekend and there's two teams that can't play defense and two teams that can only play one side of football offense.

Kansas is FCS level this year, and honestly they might miss the FCS playoffs if they were competing for a spot. It's that bad.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

We discussed this already. Mormons are ultra driven to be successful and oftentimes, this leads to hot-headed dirty play, unfortunately. Really disheartening. Some of it is the players they recruit, too. Lots of sketchy Tongans and Samoans as likely to be roaming in gangs as they are to be roaming the gridiron. Before you say, "that's racist!", the Tongan gangs are legendary bad.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

We discussed this already. Mormons are ultra driven to be successful and oftentimes, this leads to hot-headed dirty play, unfortunately. Really disheartening. Some of it is the players they recruit, too. Lots of sketchy Tongans and Samoans as likely to be roaming in gangs as they are to be roaming the gridiron. Before you say, "that's racist!", the Tongan gangs are legendary bad.

It's also partly because Bronco Mendenhall believes the best teams are the ones penalized the most and playing with aggression on the edge of what is legal (despite that being not statistically true).

They're also barely even internally disciplined (and done so in private) so I think they know the coaches and administration have their back and they're free to do what they want. There's

Mormons and sports related violence go hand in hand.

Source: 5 years of playing in LDS youth leagues and 2 years in adult leagues.

Where I grew up it tended to be the kids from the richer, whiter, wards that started fights in basketball, softball and scouting stuff. Because they tended to be racist and classist. The classism that is so prevalent in Mormonism is almost as bad as the racism.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mormons and sports related violence go hand in hand.

Source: 5 years of playing in LDS youth leagues and 2 years in adult leagues.

Where I grew up it tended to be the kids from the richer, whiter, wards that started fights in basketball, softball and scouting stuff. Because they tended to be racist and classist. The classism that is so prevalent in Mormonism is almost as bad as the racism.

It sounds like you grew up in a shitty place. My wards were always cool with everyone and we didn't have any fights or classism. This despite having hilarious ward boundaries that encompassed the literal wealthiest and poorest parts of Omaha (literally Warren Buffett's neighborhood and figuratively Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood). There are assholes in every ward, though, that much is known, but I never noticed the different between the wealthy kids and broke-ass kids like me.

Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 22

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville- COVER

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army- COVER
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5)- No COVER
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5)- NO COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5)- COVER
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5)- COVER
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue- NO COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5)- COVER
Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame (-7.5)- COVER
Cal (-3.5) vs. Texas-No COVER

Finally getting this move under control.

Spartan Stadium was rockin' last weekend. Oregon fans were cool, tailgate had delicious food & the game was an instant classic. More of that, please.

The entire rest of the home slate is absolutely dire in comparison. I can't wait for the B1G's "pairity based scheduling" to kick in. Finding people to go to Purdue, Indiana, Maryland & let's face it, Penn State this year is going to be tough.

MOV Game (Tiebreaker ONLY)
Air Force vs. Michigan State - MSU by 20

Thursday
Clemson (-4.5) vs. Louisville COVER

Saturday
Wake Forest (-3.5) vs. Army NO COVER
Stanford vs. USC (-14.5) COVER
South Carolina vs. Georgia (-13.5) NO COVER
Auburn vs. LSU (-9.5) COVER
Mississippi vs. Alabama (-6.5) COVER
Va Tech (-10.5) vs. Purdue NO COVER
BYU vs. UCLA (-15.5)