• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Llama

a big 10 title game without either of the top 2 teams in the conference is a farce. and technically were the big 12 champs
Not to get political, but saying PSU aren't the B1G champs is like saying Trump didn't win the election because he didn't win the popular vote.

squicken

Washington is a lock. Taking all bets.

Yeah this isn't the Big 12. They aren't going to screw over the PAC12. The debate is OSU and PSU. OSU fans have their hands over their ears yelling "lalalalala I can't hear you" but their spot is in peril

jjasper

Bama and Clemson are in who knows about the other 2. It is a committee that has in the past dropped teams for no reason other than that conference didn't have a championship game. I would guess Washington is in since these people answer to the conferences and schools and then it is an OSU vs PSU debate.

pa22word

The best part about this debate is no one is talking about the team that went undefeated in teh Big 12. Fuck Oklahoma. Fuck the Big 12

if ou hadn't dropped an egg against houston they'd likely leapfrog both washington and penn state though, so i don't see your point.

I do think it's kinda trashy that okie state wasn't given a fair shake considering if they beat OU their big loss was due to a garbage crew blowing a call.

Josh5890

B1G is not the best conference. It's not even 2nd best. Listen to the podcast this week and you'll find out why.

This morning there were four teams ranked in the top seven. Yes it is either feast or famine in the Big Ten (local Illinois fan here) but there is no doubt that conference is the best this year.

The Llama

So were saying they technically are but not really.

ok cool, im with that
I'm saying they all knew the rules going into it. The rules say PSU are the B1G champs. There's no debates or ifs, ans, or buts about it. Whether PSU deserve a playoff spot is another matter. I'm already on record as saying OSU are a lock, fwiw.

Won a weak conf., no signature win, and a terrible home loss yet everyone acts like they're a lock...it's nuts to me.

You're right. Let's put the team who finished third in their division, only had 4 road games and lost two of them, and didn't even play this week. Also, the B1G's bottom 4 probably wouldn't even have a winning record in the FCS.

Yes, I know I'm biased. But thinking Michigan should be in is fucking bananas.

I'm saying they all knew the rules going into it. The rules say PSU are the B1G champs. There's no debates or ifs, ans, or buts about it. Whether PSU deserve a playoff spot is another matter. I'm already on record as saying OSU are a lock, fwiw.

But thats the things, we literally dont know the rules! The committee has said time and time again that conf titles are only used if they feel teams are "equal" and last sunday they said there was a "large gap" between OSU and PSU

The Llama

But thats the things, we literally dont know the rules! The committee has said time and time again that conf titles are only used if they feel teams are "equal" and last sunday they said there was a "large gap" between OSU and PSU
We know the rules for determining the B1G champion though. And those rules say that's PSU. So any debate about that is dumb and useless and a waste of time.

But yes, who knows what the committee will do. I think it's Bama, OSU, Clemson, Washington in that order. But who knows.

This I will agree with. The committee is making shit up every week and no one here has any more insight than anyone else into what matters.

MIMIC

Banned
It's Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. 4th spot is up for grabs (Penn State and Washington), but I say Washington gets it.

andycapps

This morning there were four teams ranked in the top seven. Yes it is either feast or famine in the Big Ten (local Illinois fan here) but there is no doubt that conference is the best this year.
It's top heavy and bottom heavy. And it's not the top conference in the country according to S&P+.

k6JOP2Lh.jpg

@SBN_BillC: If you take out all max and min, your avg S&P+:

SEC 6.9
ACC 6.9
B1G 5.2
PAC 5.0
B12 4.8
AAC 0.3
MWC -2.9
MAC -6.1
SBC -7.7
CUSA -8.3

@SBN_BillC: B1G's been fascinating this year. 4 in top 11, 5 between 40th and 63rd, 4 97th or worse. https://twitter.com/TZiskBuff/status/804081639395618816

Clemson and Penn State lost to Pitt. Not a bad loss because of that.

Michigan crushed Penn who beat Ohio State who beat Michigan who lost to Iowa who got crushed by Penn

The math is there friends

PSU has the 2nd loss. I think that is enough to put them behind any 1 loss team.

We're in uncharted territory here. Penn State's extra loss could arguably be mitigated by the extra win in a conference championship game. The conference team ahead of them in the rankings sat at home today eating cold pizza and they hold a W against that team.

I love that this is super-messy for the committee and their opaque process.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I think the rankings stay exactly as they were this week
You don't punish a team for letting a Purdue-castoff throw for damn near 300 yards? Buckeye, please. Browning probably still has an erection thinking about that possible match up.

GRIP

Pitt beat both Clemson and Penn State. The only responsible thing to do is to give Pitt the 4 seed.

mjp2417

Banned
I still don't get why Clemson seems to be bulletproof in all of these conversations....I'd put Michigan in over them 10 times out of 10.

I think the fact that they showed last year they can hang with the best in the playoffs is the reason for this. I'm not sure anyone has any confidence that Washington is going to give Alabama a game; Clemson is a different story.

Alright I guess I'll go ahead and post my prediction. first % is how confident I am they are in that spot, the second % is how I feel their chances are of being somewhere in the final 4.

1. Alabama (100%) (100%)
2. Clemson (50%) (100%)
3. Ohio State (50%) (80%)
4. Washington (40%) (70%)

5. Penn State (50%) (50%)
6. Oklahoma (75%) (0%)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If the committee had slid Ohio State to 3 or 4 and put michigan behind PSU and Wiscy i would be concerned. But beating wiscy ( a feat OSU did as well) would not be enouh to move one team down 3 slots

Penn State beat 2 and 6 in the last few weeks and now has the title of conference champ of the toughest confern CE and the head to head win over Ohio State. Sorry Buckeyes

This I will agree with. The committee is making shit up every week and no one here has any more insight than anyone else into what matters.
Team fuck the college playoff committee?

This is my main gripe, they do whatever they want without ever having to defend their bullshit, aka michigan losing to an unranked team but not moving. It's completely subjective and influenced by bias, and if you look at the members it definitely has a big ten and sec bias. Rice is the only person on the committee that I halfway trust, and that's with me being very anti bush administration

Congratulations to Penn State for winning a conference title so quickly after helping an old man rape little kids. In America, anything is possible as long as your fans travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom