• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
My 'Cats get the fun of having to deal with the Ramblin' Wreck. Fun.

Our run defense is terrible, so this is not a good matchup for us. I'm not sure they can stop us either...so it should be a fun, high scoring TaxSlayer Bowl.

"Jim Harbaugh is a no-show for the Orange Bowl teleconference tonight. Hasn't spoken to reporters since his Ohio State post-game rant."

clav

NW and Pitt get the honor of playing in yankee stadium in late December. How fun

Crappiest bowl destination all around.

It pains me that whenever Rutgers would be bowl eligible they'll force us to that crap hole just because of logistics.

Everything is overpriced like crazy and the sightlines are awful.

Plus who wants to go to a Bowl Game in below freezing temperatures?

It was either that or the Quick Lane Bowl, which is just as bad or worse.

At least this is Yankee stadium.

Foster Farms Bowl seemed like a long shot.

Karl2177

The standards been set. 2 loss teams don't make the playoffs

Enter 2014: The standards have been set. Win your conference championship and you're in.

This has been the only year with any type of legit controversy. 2014 was perfect too.

2014 was far from perfect. Ohio State, Florida State, TCU, and Baylor were all deserving of the 3rd and 4th spots. But they claimed that the conference championship match was what set the two that made it in over Baylor and TCU. If the committee is looking for the 4 best teams they need to clearly say what the things are that define the 4 best and stick to it, instead of changing it behind closed doors year after year.

MIMIC

Banned
Enter 2014: The standards have been set. Win your conference championship and you're in.

2014 was far from perfect. Ohio State, Florida State, TCU, and Baylor were all deserving of the 3rd and 4th spots. But they claimed that the conference championship match was what set the two that made it in over Baylor and TCU. If the committee is looking for the 4 best teams they need to clearly say what the things are that define the 4 best and stick to it, instead of changing it behind closed doors year after year.

Ohio State destroyed Wisconsin in the championship game and was ranked fifth. Penn State escaped Wisconsin and was ranked seventh (and also had 2 losses)

Both teams needed to make the argument, and Ohio State did.

bpfd

In 2014, all those teams you listed had 1 or fewer losses. FSU was in regardless. So it came down to Ohio State and the Big12 schools. Different scenario this year.

I also dont think the only reason tOSU got in that year was because of the conference championship. It was how they won it, plus Baylor and TCU had other reasons that kept them out.

mjp2417

Banned

Ohio St., TCU, and Baylor all had one loss in 2014. Hence Ohio St.'s undisputed conference championship functioned as a tiebreaker. Penn St. has two losses this year. Two losses is more than one loss, which is what Clemson, Ohio St., and Washington have. Hence no need to invoke a tiebreaker. There really isn't anything particularly complicated or controversial about any of this.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
"Jim Harbaugh is a no-show for the Orange Bowl teleconference tonight. Hasn't spoken to reporters since his Ohio State post-game rant."
247 somehow got a quote from him from the teleconference?
During the Orange Bowl teleconference on Sunday evening, Harbaugh says that he has rewatched the film of The Game, and that his mind essentially hasn't changed from his postgame thoughts.

"Well, I guess we can call it that we see it differently, and leave it go with that," Harbaugh said. "I still don't accept it as a given that you can't speak your mind, or give your opinion on how you see things. If telling the truth makes things worse, then so be it."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I fully expect everyone here to boycott the game with the team that didn't win their division or conference, right?

I didn't get to watch the show or react to the results..

giphy.gif

Again, why go after Ohio State here?

More important than Ohio State benefiting is that Pedo State got screwed. Seriously, you want to advocate on the behalf of Pedo State?

Charlie Strong is supposedly 1 of 3 candidates up for the Cincinnati job. He really should focus on getting a job somewhere in Florida. Go back to your roots Chuck

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Reuben Foster wins the Butkus. Saban's 3rd Butkus award winner since arriving at Alabama.

Ryuuroden

I think you're being deliberately obtuse because it involves your team. Literally switch both teams names so that tOSU has two losses. One to Pitt. They beat Penn State at home.

Penn state has 1 loss and doesn't go to the championship game but has the same record tOSU does now. They stay home while tOSU goes to the championship and beats Wisconsin.

Oh you're definitely right. Just want everyone else to admit it.

OK, if that was the case then why didn't OSU go last year over Michigan State?

Cday

Banned
Had Ohio State not played a CCG in 2014 they would not have made it. Had Washington not played a CCG this year they would have been skipped over. Clearly they don't matter though.

OK, if that was the case then why didn't OSU go last year over Michigan State?

They were ranked behind them.

Here's the final regular season top 5 leading rushers for 2016

1 D'Onta Foreman Texas 2028 Yards
2 Donnel Pumphrey San Diego St. 2018 Yards
3 Aaron Jones UTEP 1773 Yards
4 Brian Hill Wyoming 1767 Yards
5 Jeremy McNichols Boise St. 1663 Yards

The leader in this category usually gets an invite to NYC right?

Here's the final regular season top 5 leading rushers for 2016

1 D'Onta Foreman Texas 2028 Yards
2 Donnel Pumphrey San Diego St. 2018 Yards
3 Aaron Jones UTEP 1773 Yards
4 Brian Hill Wyoming 1767 Yards
5 Jeremy McNichols Boise St. 1663 Yards

The leader in this category usually gets an invite to NYC right?

He needs around 108 more yards to become the all time rusher passing Dayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom