• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake1028

And now for everyone's favorite list, the gifts player's get for going to bowl games!

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/2016/12/Bowl-gifts.aspx

Looks like ISlide Sandals are one of the hot items of the year. Also Fossil watches.

These are the best IMO:

Alamo
Apple Watch Nike+; $110 Best Buy gift card; myCharge HubPlus portable charger; team panoramic photo; mini-helmet

Quick Lane
$200 Best Buy gift card; JBL headphones; life-sized Fathead decal for each participant of his likeness; hoodie; winter hat; Rock ’Em Apparel socks; backpack; vintage football

Russell Athletic
$300 Best Buy shopping trip^; Timely Watch Co. watch; ISlide sandals; beach towel; athletic performance pullover

Citrus
$305 Best Buy shopping trip; Timely Watch Co. watch; EA Sports video game; ISlide sandals; $25 Buffalo Wild Wings gift card

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
These are the best IMO:

Alamo
Apple Watch Nike+; $110 Best Buy gift card; myCharge HubPlus portable charger; team panoramic photo; mini-helmet

Quick Lane
$200 Best Buy gift card; JBL headphones; life-sized Fathead decal for each participant of his likeness; hoodie; winter hat; Rock ’Em Apparel socks; backpack; vintage football

Russell Athletic
$300 Best Buy shopping trip^; Timely Watch Co. watch; ISlide sandals; beach towel; athletic performance pullover

Citrus
$305 Best Buy shopping trip; Timely Watch Co. watch; EA Sports video game; ISlide sandals; $25 Buffalo Wild Wings gift card

Anything that says Gift Suite is pretty much the equivalent of the Best Buy Shopping Spree.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sounds like this was the last committee performances for Condolezza Rice, Barry Alverez and Bobby Johnson.

andycapps

This bowl game should be fun. McElwain probably trying to figure out if there's a way to score via punting.

@slmandel: The Outback Bowl pits the nation's 115th-rated offense (Florida) vs. No. 120 (Iowa). But Florida holds a distinct edge in punting (No. 3).

Ohio State announced they made 1.1 million dollars in alcohol sales for the first year.

Just imagine if the lines werent 45 minutes long how much more they make.

clav

It'll be cold, but the Yankees do a lot of cool stuff to make the Pinstripe Bowl seem important and like an event. Definitely better than the Quick Lane bowl.

Hoosiers got Foster Farms, which will be tough, although I think we actually match up well against Utah assuming we don't lose the TO battle. We're actually ranked ahead of them in total offense and in total defense.

I can't go. Was hoping for somewhere warmer and closer although there is a huge base in NY. Fans don't really travel well either. I'm sure the Yankee manager, who is a Northwestern alum, will welcome everyone there.

Speaking of Indiana, what's happening with the coaching situation? Seems strange why they fired the head coach before a bowl game unless something really bad occurred.

Ryuuroden

I can't go. Was hoping for somewhere warmer and closer although there is a huge base in NY. Fans don't really travel well either. I'm sure the Yankee manager, who is a Northwestern alum, will welcome everyone there.

Speaking of Indiana, what's happening with the coaching situation? Seems strange why they fired the head coach before a bowl game unless something really bad occurred.

The coach abused and endangered players health/lives.

So if Ohio State beats Clemson they will have beat 4/5 Heisman Finalists. I seem to remember what happened the last time they did something similar. ;)

Jabril Peppers is a Heisman finalist? Really? I mean, I get there weren't a lot of great options out there, but...

• Lamar Jackson
• Baker Mayfield
• Jabrill Peppers
• Deshaun Watson
• Dede Westbrook

Jabril Peppers is a Heisman finalist? Really? I mean, I get there weren't a lot of great options out there, but...

• Lamar Jackson
• Baker Mayfield
• Jabrill Peppers
• Deshaun Watson
• Dede Westbrook

ONCE IN A GENERATION:

Peppers' TFL +/- in B1G play was +0.5.
He was tackled for a loss 5 times and tackled somebody for a loss 5.5 times. He was -2 vs. Iowa, OSU.

ryan-ts

Peppers is the only player who deserves to be there. Give him the trophy now so we can move on with our lives.

God is real and his name is Jabrill Peppers.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Everybody wants a raise.

That's what I assumed, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time for Gundy, but at some point T. Boone and their AD are going to get sick of going through this every year or two. Relationships there have been strained for years by most reports.

Still hard to imagine it would happen with Baylor but it feels like one of these days he'll have another dalliance with a team like Tennessee and get his bluff called.

Jonathon Allen not getting invited to the Heisman ceremony is wild. Especially since he won the award for best defensive player in the country.

Ohio State announced they made 1.1 million dollars in alcohol sales for the first year.

Just imagine if the lines werent 45 minutes long how much more they make.

That seems kind of low to be honest.

Depending on the % OSU gets to keep I don't know.

I read a story Troy gets to keep 43% of profits.

So if the Shoe holds 104K.

Say they sell 52K beers at 5 bucks a pop, 7 times a year, I get a total sales of 1.8M, if OSU gets the same amount back at 43% thats 774K. I'm sure OSU can negotiate a better rate of return than Troy

In 1998 Champ Bailey was second on Georgia with 47 catches and first with 744 yards. He also was an All American at defensive back, and returned 12 kickoffs and 4 punts.

But he didn't get invited to the Heisman.

That seems kind of low to be honest.

Depending on the % OSU gets to keep I don't know.

I read a story Troy gets to keep 43% of profits.

So if the Shoe holds 104K.

Say they sell 52K beers at 5 bucks a pop, 7 times a year, I get a total sales of 1.8M, if OSU gets the same amount back at 43% thats 774K. I'm sure OSU can negotiate a better rate of return than Troy

Beers were $8 and $9, and that number was net profit for Ohio state

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wow no Hurts?

For Heisman? I guess you could say he "deserves" an invite simply from being most well known player on the #1 team and it's more a hype award than anything, but statistically he shouldn't be there. Maybe next year.

Allen and Foster are the players that would be most deserving from Bama, but they aren't ball carriers so realistically they don't qualify. (Well, Allen does have 105 fumble return yards and 2 TDs...)

andycapps

In 1998 Champ Bailey was second on Georgia with 47 catches and first with 744 yards. He also was an All American at defensive back, and returned 12 kickoffs and 4 punts.

But he didn't get invited to the Heisman.
Yep. Much better stats than Peppers.

He was regarded as one of college football's greatest multiple threats (offense, defense and special teams) in his three seasons as a Bulldog. In his final year at Georgia, he registered 52 tackles (four for losses), three interceptions, seven passes deflected, 47 catches for 744 yards (15.8 avg.), five touchdowns, 84 yards rushing on 16 carries, 12 kickoff returns for 261 yards and four punt returns for 49 yards. He averaged 103.5 all-purpose yards per game and logged 957 plays (547 defense, 301 offense and 109 special teams) on the way to earning consensus first-team All-America and first-team All-Southeastern Conference honors and claiming the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the nation's top defensive player.

Karl2177

Unfortunately I don't think a heisman winner has ever come from a team with a losing record. D'Onta deserved better....
Closest I've seen was Troy Davis for Iowa State. And tbh he deserved it more than Danny werfffffffuffle. He's still the only RB to put up 2 2000 yard seasons.

andycapps

That moment you look up 1998 UGA and see Kirby Smart lead them in INT
Haha yep. Don't look at previous years and see that Muschamp was also there. Honestly don't remember much about him as a player. Think he was decent though he says he was really bad, Kirby says the same thing about himself.

Lets watch 2016 Heisman Winner over pursue his position forcing the corner outside and letting Ohio State win

Ccc3TKA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom