• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tebunker

Banned
Spread already Bama @ -16.5

As much as I want it, I don't believe Alabama is shutting out UW. I honestly see this as a 31(35)-17/23, type game.

I feel the inital line of -11 Bama was almost perfect. This almost seems like the public pushing too hard to Bama and books needing that money to even put a lot.

thefro

New study confirms bias by officials in college football.

Bloomberg said:
Brymer’s data suggest something more insidious. Across the 3,000-odd regular-season and bowl games he studied, a bit less than half of the fouls called were what he terms “discretionary”—holding, pass interference, unsportsmanlike conduct, and personal fouls like roughing the passer. Refs were on average 10 percent less likely to throw discretionary flags on teams that enjoy both strong playoff prospects and winning traditions. Brymer calls these teams “protected flagships.”

Protected flagships in the Big Ten did especially well with officials, the research shows. Ohio State, the conference’s most competitive flagship team in the years Brymer studied, was 14 percent less likely to be dinged for a discretionary foul than, say, Purdue, a non-flagship team with little chance of contending for a national title. The Buckeyes fared even better with refs in 2014, when it made the first-ever formal playoff and won the national championship on Jan. 12, 2015.

It was either that or the Quick Lane Bowl, which is just as bad or worse.

At least this is Yankee stadium.

Foster Farms Bowl seemed like a long shot.

It'll be cold, but the Yankees do a lot of cool stuff to make the Pinstripe Bowl seem important and like an event. Definitely better than the Quick Lane bowl.

Hoosiers got Foster Farms, which will be tough, although I think we actually match up well against Utah assuming we don't lose the TO battle. We're actually ranked ahead of them in total offense and in total defense.

As much as I want it, I don't believe Alabama is shutting out UW. I honestly see this as a 31(35)-17/23, type game.

I feel the inital line of -11 Bama was almost perfect. This almost seems like the public pushing too hard to Bama and books needing that money to even put a lot.

If Kiffin features Bo in this one, I like our chances of covering by a decent amount.

andycapps

Big 12 commissioner seeks clarity on Ohio State, Washington playoff berths

Short version -
  • We were told that Baylor's weak OOC would hold them back, so we made a rule increasing the quality of our OOC schedules.
  • We were told that not having the CCG "13th data point" would hold us back, so we lobbied for and received a CCG.
  • A team with a weak OOC schedule and a team without a CCG appearance just made the playoff.
  • WTF.
Hocutt basically just said every year is different and to pin things down to a specific set of criteria won't work. Basically, we pull these rankings directly from our ass every year and our criteria is whatever we feel like that year/week.

FyreWulff

Short version -
  • We were told that Baylor's weak OOC would hold them back, so we made a rule increasing the quality of our OOC schedules.
  • We were told that not having the CCG "13th data point" would hold us back, so we lobbied for and received a CCG.
  • A team with a weak OOC schedule and a team without a CCG appearance just made the playoff.
  • WTF.

the response will be

* Baylor is lava
* you have to actually play a CCG for it to count
* the Big 12 is circling the drain, acquire more teams or split up and get it over with

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
TCU and Baylor suffered from both weak OOC schedules and no conference championship. OSU and Washington only suffer from one each. It's not that hard to figure out.

Hocutt basically just said every year is different and to pin things down to a specific set of criteria won't work. Basically, we pull these rankings directly from our ass every year and our criteria is whatever we feel like that year/week.

This feels kinda reductive. We're a year removed from OU making the playoffs. The Big 12 isn't at THAT much of a disadvantage, if it has one at all.

Well if it was a set criteria what would be the need of a committee?

andycapps

Well if it was a set criteria what would be the need of a committee?

Why have any criteria then?

Criteria is essential for knowing how to schedule OOC games, how conferences should determine conference winners, etc. If you're playing all year for the playoff, you need to set yourself up to succeed. You do that by knowing the criteria the committee will judge by and planning accordingly.

ag-my001

Criteria is essential for knowing how to schedule OOC games, how conferences should determine conference winners, etc. If you're playing all year for the playoff, you need to set yourself up to succeed. You do that by knowing the criteria the committee will judge by and planning accordingly.
In addition, how is OOC scheduling looked at? As someone posted earlier, Rutgers had been an eight win team when Washington scheduled them. Is that what's looked at, or just this year where Rutgers sucked?

Karl2177

It baffles me that we are scheduling games for kids that are 3-7 years old right now. At some point we're going to be scheduling games for kids that aren't even born yet.

The problem isn't the criteria it's that the committee is 12 individuals with their own thoughts on the criteria. It plainly says that when teams are comparable that the criteria looked at is then championships/h2h blah blah blah. The problem is then that person A looks at the championship as a higher criteria than person B that sees the SoS as the higher. No matter how the process is done it will never be perfect and not everyone is going to be happy it is just the way it is.

FyreWulff

It baffles me that we are scheduling games for kids that are 3-7 years old right now. At some point we're going to be scheduling games for kids that aren't even born yet.

It's something absurd like for Nebraska/Oklahoma, the first home and home will be played by kids who were in grade school when it was signed, and then the NEXT home and home will be played by kids who watched the first one on TV.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
In addition, how is OOC scheduling looked at? As someone posted earlier, Rutgers had been an eight win team when Washington scheduled them. Is that what's looked at, or just this year where Rutgers sucked?

Yearly neutral site games are the key. Limits the "Surprise, we suuuuuck now" factor.

Right now, Alabama would have been stuck with Michigan State, who didn't do all that well this year. USCw was shaky, but turned out to be ok. Next Year, maybe Michigan State improves, but instead Alabama went with Florida State, who is going to a top bowl this year, though it's unknown how many of their players will be gone next year.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
* you have to actually play a CCG for it to count

Tell that to Penn State.

TCU and Baylor suffered from both weak OOC schedules and no conference championship. OSU and Washington only suffer from one each. It's not that hard to figure out.

TCU didn't have an overly weak OOC that season, or any recent season really. Samford and SMU sucked but they soundly beat an 8-4 Minnesota team. Their issue was losing to Baylor but still being given a share of the conference championship that everybody knew was a sham.

I think Washington does get some credit for scheduling Rutgers at all, even though Rutgers isn't good, because at least they're a P5 team.

Baylor in 2014, the poster child for bad scheduling, had an FCS team, a MAC bottom feeder, and a C-USA/AAC bottom feeder.

Quake1028

One of the ESPN talking heads said because the members are constantly changing that the criteria are constantly changing. Terrible.

Lonestar

Bring back the BCS!*

*But keep the top 4 teams in the playoffs

think the top 4 would be the same this year, except flip back Clemson and Ohio State.

Cy2PADqW8AAIRV8.png

Sulik2

They really just need to expand the playoff, make it eight teams. Five power five conf champs + three at large bids. Will solve all the problems with CCG we have been seeing lately.

They really just need to expand the playoff, make it eight teams. Five power five conf champs + three at large bids. Will solve all the problems with CCG we have been seeing lately.

If we want to keep the committee this would be the way to go. Let them choose the 3 at large bids and the seedings.

Lonestar

And now for everyone's favorite list, the gifts player's get for going to bowl games!

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Special-Content/2016/12/Bowl-gifts.aspx

Looks like ISlide Sandals are one of the hot items of the year. Also Fossil watches.

You get a Fossil Watch, and YOU get a Fossil Watch, and YOOOUU get a Fossil Watch, and YOOOOOU go to Birmingham, you are the biggest loser.

Birmingham Bowl: Gift suite; ESPN beanie, power charger and USB adapter; souvenir football

Gift Suite better be something. Power Charger and USB adapter? What, no deodorant, candy and an orange in the stocking?

mjp2417

Banned

Short version -
  • WTF.

I'm not sure if I should be more amused that the Big 12 commissioner is still salty that Rape U didn't get in in 2014 so they could get waxed by Alabama, or that he doesn't seem to realize that there are only two Power 5 teams this year that both (a) have a quality OOC win and (b) have a conference championship, so of course there are going to be two teams in the playoff that don't have both because it's a fucking four team playoff.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Good, god. How many different patterns of houndstooth/black and white checkered can there be in this world?
he doesn't seem to realize that there are only two Power 5 teams this year that both (a) have a quality OOC win and (b) have a conference championship, so of course there are going to be two teams in the playoff that don't have both because it's a fucking four team playoff.
Clemson and UDub representing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom