• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING #Temple’s Matt Rhule will be the new head coach at #Baylor, source tells @FoxSports.

Fun fact - Matt Rhule graduated from Penn State.

cashman

Banned
CzAgbEkXcAApaI3.jpg:large

"I've made a huge mistake"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING #Temple’s Matt Rhule will be the new head coach at #Baylor, source tells @FoxSports.

Fun fact - Matt Rhule graduated from Penn State.

Didn't Rhule just sign a 6-year extension LAST SEASON?

impirius

@MattatTheState
South Carolina and Georgia are the only SEC teams with no players named first-team or second-team All-SEC by coaches.
A true testament to the blue-collar culture that has been instilled these two fine programs. No one player is bigger than the whole. There's no "ALL-SEC" in "TEAM"

RIP to Salaam. I'm glad he lived long enough to see his alma become great at football again.

Also, Western Michigan is rumored to be giving PJ Fleck a $30 million dollar deal. Unprecedented for a mid-major

tebunker

Banned
Trey Smith decided to stay at Tennessee..

He made it official last night to the coaches and Jalen Hurd's response..

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrHurd_1/status/805991348968882176

Dude literally said in an interview whne asked why, "Cause Bama's got some good dudes and I get to play now at UT".

I can't fault him at all for wanting to play now, but I have become spoilt by the kids Saban recruits. He promises nothing other than to be able to compete and against high level talent, and they choose that.

As a juxtaposition to Trey, Minkah Firzpatrick told his family he chose Alabama because he wanted to be coached by the best, be pushed to be his best, compete for a position against the best etc. Dude was thoroughly processed before even showing up. I love that attitude, even if I don't always eschew it myself.

The minds of 18 yo kids can be tough to navigate.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's funny how OSU fans say they're a big tv draw but only one of their games drew. Alabama meanwhile was on the list 3 times.

It's mostly to see a chance of Alabama losing, though who knows why that many people were watching the SEC championship game. Certainly wasn't for the same thought.

andycapps

It's mostly to see a chance of Alabama losing, though who knows why that many people were watching the SEC championship game. Certainly wasn't for the same thought.
There wasn't really any competition at that time. People were just wanting football I guess. Now we're about to enter the dark days. After the bowl games anyway.

Dude literally said in an interview whne asked why, "Cause Bama's got some good dudes and I get to play now at UT".

I can't fault him at all for wanting to play now, but I have become spoilt by the kids Saban recruits. He promises nothing other than to be able to compete and against high level talent, and they choose that.

As a juxtaposition to Trey, Minkah Firzpatrick told his family he chose Alabama because he wanted to be coached by the best, be pushed to be his best, compete for a position against the best etc. Dude was thoroughly processed before even showing up. I love that attitude, even if I don't always eschew it myself.

The minds of 18 yo kids can be tough to navigate.
Trey was a long shot to leave Tenn.. but I really thought Bama or Ohio State was going to flip him.. I would be shocked if Butch makes it to 2018 at Tennessee. I guess he always wanted to play there..

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If the Duck's hire Taggart... is that really worth firing Helfrich for?

I mean, he's a decent coach, he's improved USF.. but he's a sub-500 career coach so far. That's not an inspiring hire.

Especially since they didn't even bother to interview Fleck.. but who knows.. maybe Fleck didn't want to go there anyhow.. but they had a pile of money to toss.. and I'd rather take a young energetic guy who can motivate right now over Taggart.

They most think he can recruit the south.

Kevtones

I mean, he's a decent coach, he's improved USF.. but he's a sub-500 career coach so far. That's not an inspiring hire.

Especially since they didn't even bother to interview Fleck.. but who knows.. maybe Fleck didn't want to go there anyhow.. but they had a pile of money to toss.. and I'd rather take a young energetic guy who can motivate right now over Taggart.

Yeah it's not a HR on paper but you never know. I like what I see from him EXCEPT that his defense ranked 120th in the nation.

I can't even.

jjasper

Trey was a long shot to leave Tenn.. but I really thought Bama or Ohio State was going to flip him.. I would be shocked if Butch makes it to 2018 at Tennessee. I guess he always wanted to play there..
Dude was always going to come here. He is a big UT fan, his sister works at UT. Butch would have had to screw up bad to not get him.

And Taggart isn't a bad hire. Had he not taken the job I would have liked him on the short list for UT next year after Butch's eventual fire. I think he will do well at Oregon. He has taken two programs now and turned them around. Both Western Kentucky and USF were in bad shape when he took them over.

He said his reason was because of the players....probably because he knows Butch isn't going to survive much longer.

Draxal

USF was beyond awful when Taggard was hired.

Fleck has no coordinator experience at all, I actually think he's a really risky hire.

Oregon hires Taggart. Houston still hasn't hired anyone. PJ Fleck is still at Western Michigan.

You should be used to really bad defense at Oregon.

Taggart is a good hire, though I thought they would go with Fleck. Maybe Fleck goes to Cinci.

Steven Godfrey has a good write up of Taggart.

This was a good read. Taggart seems really like a guy you want to see succeed and a guy who is capable of handling the challenges of coaching a non traditional power.

If I was a Ducks fan my one worry would be his lack of West Coast ties but I'd hope his inroads to Florida would offset that some.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
A midmajor level school hiring Lane seems crazy to me since they already have an example of what happens when a midmajor level school hires him (Tennessee).

A midmajor level school hiring Lane seems crazy to me since they already have an example of what happens when a midmajor level school hires him (Tennessee).

He's gonna get a shot eventually. Coaching successfully under Saban pretty much insures that, no matter how right or wrong that is.

He said his reason was because of the players....probably because he knows Butch isn't going to survive much longer.
Well.. on to Marvin Wilson.. who some are speculating that he silently committed..

Of course.. since he's not committing till NSD.. that gives time for LSU/A&M (Texas is looking to pursue other commits like Dobbins supposedly.. Tom doesn't have a lot of time before the dead period) to change his mind.

tebunker

Banned

Shots Fired! Wooo!

Oddly enough dude was actually moving UTk in the right direction but USC was just too alluring. He probably would have recruited the Viles in to a much better position than where they are now. It is definitely a better coach that Butch by leaps and bounds.

I think USF is perfect for him and may hurt the teams that recruit Florida hard as he has the ability to keep some of those players and doubly so with his re-polished resume.

Well.. on to Marvin Wilson.. who some are speculating that he silently committed..

Of course.. since he's not committing till NSD.. that gives time for LSU/A&M (Texas is looking to pursue other commits like Dobbins supposedly.. Tom doesn't have a lot of time before the dead period) to change his mind.

I would love Wilson to come. Honestly I wish they would but the efforts for Cam Akers but at this point it's probably a lost cause. If we can retain Wade and get Wilson/Okudah I am happy. Tufele and Sheffield would also be icing on the cake. I think we are probably out for Bolden and Holmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom