• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emmert finally gets something right.
Yep. This weekend would have been the quarterfinals hosted at the homes of the top 4 seeds. Instead, all we get this weekend is army v navy.

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 8 Wisconsin

No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 7 Oklahoma

No. 3 Ohio State vs. No. 6 Michigan

No. 4 Washington vs. No. 5 Penn State

Also that whole the players like to play for thing is garbage. If they really liked to play for him, why did he win 3 less games than Greg? They enjoyed playing for him so much that effort really translated into the W/L column.

I don't know, I didn't mind him telling the defense to rush the snap on a kneel down, if you're only down by less than 1 score. The unwritten rule that the offense decides they want the game to end by kneeling down so the defense has to capitulate is ridiculous.

Greg had the hard job of translating his style of coaching from 18-22 year olds, to grown men, and it's something that's difficult to do. It's the same issue Coughlin had for years where he pretty much ran things like Patton.
The game is over.. you are on your own side of the field and their O is taking a knee. Don't do dumbass things where your players get hurt.

I didn't say he was more successful than Greg.. players like to play for him just as they did in Chicago

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yep. This weekend would have been the quarterfinals hosted at the homes of the top 4 seeds. Instead, all we get this weekend is army v navy.

no 8-team playoff BOOOO

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

We would be facing Western Michigan.

Still opposed to expanding the playoffs. 4 teams is perfect.

If the winner of the strongest conference in college football can't make it in the current format, we need more teams.
If an undefeated G5 team can't make the playoff, we need more teams

mre

If the winner of the strongest conference in college football can't make it in the current format, we need more teams.
If an undefeated G5 team can't make the playoff, we need more teams
There's always going to be an argument for expanding the playoff.

Look at last year:

1 Clemson 13-0 — (conf. champ)
2 Alabama 12-1 — (conf. champ)
3 Michigan State 12-1 2 (conf. champ)
4 Oklahoma 11-1 1 (conf. champ)
5 Iowa 12-1 1
6 Stanford 11-2 1 (conf. champ)
7 Ohio State 11-1 1
8 Notre Dame 10-2 —
9 Florida State 10-2 —
10 North Carolina 11-2 —
18 Houston 12-1 1 (conf. champ)

Iowa or Ohio State? Notre Dame or Florida State? Stopping at 8 leaves out deserving teams. Why not 16? Not much of a difference between the 16 and 17 teams, that doesn't seem fair. Why not 32?

cdyhybrid

Look at last year:

5 Iowa 12-1 1
7 Ohio State 11-1 1
8 Notre Dame 10-2 —
9 Florida State 10-2 —
10 North Carolina 11-2 —

Iowa or Ohio State? Notre Dame or Florida State? Stopping at 8 leaves out deserving teams. Why not 16? Not much of a difference between the 16 and 17 teams, that doesn't seem fair. Why not 32?
I agree. We should have skipped #8 and let #9 in.

Look at last year:

5 Iowa 12-1 1
7 Ohio State 11-1 1
8 Notre Dame 10-2 —
9 Florida State 10-2 —
10 North Carolina 11-2 —

The slippery slope ends at 8 teams. Don't worry. All 5 conference champs would be in. The top G5 team would be in. And 2 at large teams would be in. The 3rd highest at large team would want in and there might be a mild controversy there, but that 3rd highest at large team should have won their conference if they wanted in the playoffs so bad.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not so opposed to a 4-team playoff in general terms as I am opposed to a 4-team playoff with 5 power conferences.

I'd probably still prefer 8, I just think it would be a lot more tidy if we didn't have fewer slots available than regularly "in the hunt" conferences. 4 still doesn't give the G5 a real shot but truly deserving G5 teams are quite few and far between; Even this year with a literally undefeated G5 team practically nobody argues that they have a chance to actually win the playoff, some just argue that they deserve a shot on principle.

::snip::

Stopping at 8 leaves out deserving teams. Why not 16? Not much of a difference between the 16 and 17 teams, that doesn't seem fair. Why not 32?

There's always an argument to expand, yes, but the argument gets more flimsy the more teams you have. This is why there's no massive national uproar over the #1 seeds in the NIT being left out of the NCAA tournament.

Auburn was once an undefeated SEC champion that didn't get to play for the BCS title. No argument between #s 8 and 9 will ever come close to something like that.

You're right, there's always going to be an argument for expanding a playoff because deserving teams get left out. Look at March Madness every year.

But that complaint is outweighed by the fact that the system now is guaranteed to leave out at least 1 P5 conference every single year and force a G5 school to basically stand on it's head with the planets aligned to have a sniff of a chance to get in (which, if that were to ever happen, would then leave at least 2 P5 conferences out in the cold.)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Makes sense a team who was 70th in rushing and 120th in total offense wins Offensive line of the year

Don't forget, they also were 90th in sacks allowed, compared to 38th or 59th.

A whole yard per carry worse than the other 2 teams.

Fellow College Football Gaf, Go ahead and vote on a bowl thread. Right now I got nothing creative to use a UCLA joke with it.

I'd like to join a Gaf bowl pick'em if anyone is making one.
Enjoy!!

Slo

Might as well host the whole tourney in Chicago.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Sam Houston finished the regular season 12-0.

They are currently losing a playoff game to James Madison 65-0 at the end of the 3rd.

mre

That son of a bitch, Taggart, met with our 2017 QB commit, Tua Tagovailoa. Like the nation's top rated dual threat quarterback would be a good fit at Oregon...

And ya'll want more playoffs. So we can watch AAC teams get obliterated by Alabama in primetime instead of avoiding their mid november cupcake.
UCF is undefeated against Bama! /homecominginashittyyear

And it's not like upsets aren't a thing. Who would have known that experts giving a 17 point favorite to the bigger team ended up with the favorite never even leading in the game and getting dominated.

It's why you play the game. Not sure why there is so much aversion in CFB to just using the field to determine who is best. Bunch of popularity and beauty surveys.

Would probably get more of a scientific result if you use PPP to conduct polls.

andycapps

That son of a bitch, Taggart, met with our 2017 QB commit, Tua Tagovailoa. Like the nation's top rated dual threat quarterback would be a good fit at Oregon...
I thought he met with his brother and he spoke with Tua but he told him he was solid to Bama.

If Kiffin leaves I could see that scaring some recruits into thinking you might go back to a more traditional power run style. Not saying you will but other coaches will try to use that against you.

Speaking of Kiffin, sounds like he didn't get the Houston job because Texas Highschool coaches don't like non Texans: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ane-kiffin-never-close-becoming-cougars-coach

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tua is an EE, and today's the last day anyone can talk to him.

What the hell kind of font is army using? Zeroes look like "D"

Speaking of Kiffin, sounds like he didn't get the Houston job because Texas Highschool coaches don't like non Texans: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ane-kiffin-never-close-becoming-cougars-coach

Herman is an Ohio guy, but if you listened to his introductory press conference you'll see why Texas coaches have adopted him. He talks about how great of coaches they are and how Texas highschool football is better than highschool football in any other state he has been in etc.
He knows how to pander. Charlie Strong took the exact opposite approach at Texas and HS coaches did not like him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom