• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 1 |OT| Offseason's over. Back to #TALKINBOUTTHENOLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

approval-people-clapping.gif

I mean, Liberty is worse yo. They hired Baylor's shithead AD and constantly preach hate.

They gave Donald Trump a doctorate FFS.

Jalen's stat line wasn't super impressive, but I thought he played great tonight. 10-18, with like 3 of his incompletions being bad drops (including that long end zone fade pass to Ruggs that was right on the money). Didn't turn the rock over. Might've took one sack, despite the offensive line being an adventure in pass pro. Didn't make any bad throws that I can think of, actually. And kept his eyes up on a crucial 2 point conversion. Seems like he and the receivers not named Calvin just need to develop more chemistry in their timing a bit, but he won't face a defensive front that good all season.

I like where this team's at everywhere except field goal kicking and pass protection, pretty much.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jalen's stat line wasn't super impressive, but I thought he played great tonight. 10-18, with like 3 of his incompletions being bad drops (including that long end zone fade pass to Ruggs that was right on the money). Didn't turn the rock over. Might've took one sack, despite the offensive line being an adventure in pass pro. Didn't make any bad throws that I can think of, actually. And kept his eyes up on a crucial 2 point conversion. Seems like he and the receivers not named Calvin just need to develop more chemistry in their timing a bit, but he won't face a defensive front that good all season.

I like where this team's at everywhere except field goal kicking and pass protection, pretty much.

There's also the long sure touchdown that FSU just tackled Ridley on to avoid the TD. Became an incomplete (or maybe it goes down as no play because of the penalty)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really have any complaints about Hurts in that game. He was pressured nearly every pass attempt and looked good the few times he had time.

Hopefully FSU's DL was just that good. OL needs to get their shit together. That bothers me more than the poor kicking.

Deacon

I don't really have any complaints about Hurts in that game. He was pressured nearly every pass attempt and looked good the few times he had time.

Hopefully FSU's DL was just that good. OL needs to get their shit together. That bothers me more than the poor kicking.

I wish he'd throw it away more often instead of trying to scramble around the outside against a fast defense.

Their defensive line is definitely elite. Probably the deepest in the country. Talent wise, only Clemson and Ohio State's compare (and ours). FSU's linebackers are pretty average though, so I might be premature on the whole "we won't see a front that good again" point.

I wish he'd throw it away more often instead of trying to scramble around the outside against a fast defense.

He's usually pretty good about throwing it away when he needs to. But I thought he won his fair share of those scramble battles too.

For all the talk that DF was the better QB coming into tonight, Jalen flat out made less mistakes, and made more plays, even though some of those plays were just escaping a sure 10 yard loss. And as Lonestar said, had another sure touchdown pass negated by a DPI. I think he's about to have an amazing season.

Might watch WVU/VaTech tomorrow. What other games coming on? Not really interested in much until OSU/OU and Auburn/Clemson next week.

So my first experience going to a game was... meh. First off I am not a morning person at all. I got up early yesterday to go on a road trip to my aunts house and then early again today to do a couple things before going to the game, so I was not feeling great to begin with. Second, I am not a Summer person. I am indoors during the day in the summer 99% of the time. It was 95 at kickoff and got hotter as the day went on, so I was sweating a ton and dying of heat. Fortunately my cousin got us seats in the shade otherwise I would have left in the first quarter. However, both of these things don't have much effect on me going to another game besides picking a better time for one.

So, at the game, it was packed. The last big sporting event I went to was a Seattle Mariner game 3 years ago. It was no where near as condensed then as it was here today. 31,000 people in attendance in what felt like a really small stadium. Our seats were kind of meh. We were on the lower level but I was directly lined up on one of the goal lines. Anything past the 40 and I'd have to watch the big screen to get a decent look. I thought I was going to be lucky and not have someone on one of my sides, but they showed up about 5 minutes into the 1st quarter, so it was cramped. Every time someone on Boise State did something bad, some guy way back would shout something stupid. Behind me to my right, someone would mock him every time he shouted. Behind me to my left was a couple with like a 4 year old that every 5 minutes kept threatening to take him home unless he behaved, which got annoying fast.

For the actual game, it was mostly fine. I really wanted some ear plugs though as I'm pretty sensitive to loud noises but my aunt forgot them in her car which was parked a half mile away. Noise wasn't too bad overall except for pregame. Game started great with a punt return TD less than 2 minutes into it. Past that though, I got bored fast. I had a vague idea on what happens during TV timeouts, and it turns out basically not a damn thing. I expected this but it didn't make me forget how I can just switch channels during them normally. It was 7-3 past halfway into the second quarter and I thought I'd beat the halftime crowd and get a couple things for my aunt and I (my mom was at the game too). Turns out, nope. 15 minute wait just to get drinks and they were out of water. I got back a little after halftime and a lot happened while I was gone. It went from 7-3 to 17-10. Second half was basically going the same with barely any scoring. It was 17-13 with 7 minutes left in the game. My aunt started getting tired
and I didn't want to miss my fantasy draft
so we left early then to beat the crowds (call me what you want but Boise State isn't my team to begin with, I just got free tickets).

So, overall, did I enjoy my time? Meh not really. Would I go to another game? Under much different circumstances, yeah I probably would. I don't completely regret this trip (that'll be decided tomorrow) but I doubt I'll go to another game here again.

andycapps

Their defensive line is definitely elite. Probably the deepest in the country. Talent wise, only Clemson and Ohio State's compare (and ours). FSU's linebackers are pretty average though, so I might be premature on the whole "we won't see a front that good again" point.

Our front 7 is elite. Secondary is not quite as good though. Transitioning to larger DBs that are very talented but they're young.

Slo

So my first experience going to a game was... meh. First off I am not a morning person at all. I got up early yesterday to go on a road trip to my aunts house and then early again today to do a couple things before going to the game, so I was not feeling great to begin with. Second, I am not a Summer person. I am indoors during the day in the summer 99% of the time. It was 95 at kickoff and got hotter as the day went on, so I was sweating a ton and dying of heat. Fortunately my cousin got us seats in the shade otherwise I would have left in the first quarter. However, both of these things don't have much effect on me going to another game besides picking a better time for one.

So, at the game, it was packed. The last big sporting event I went to was a Seattle Mariner game 3 years ago. It was no where near as condensed then as it was here today. 31,000 people in attendance in what felt like a really small stadium. Our seats were kind of meh. We were on the lower level but I was directly lined up on one of the goal lines. Anything past the 40 and I'd have to watch the big screen to get a decent look. I thought I was going to be lucky and not have someone on one of my sides, but they showed up about 5 minutes into the 1st quarter, so it was cramped. Every time someone on Boise State did something bad, some guy way back would shout something stupid. Behind me to my right, someone would mock him every time he shouted. Behind me to my left was a couple with like a 4 year old that every 5 minutes kept threatening to take him home unless he behaved, which got annoying fast.

For the actual game, it was mostly fine. I really wanted some ear plugs though as I'm pretty sensitive to loud noises but my aunt forgot them in her car which was parked a half mile away. Noise wasn't too bad overall except for pregame. Game started great with a punt return TD less than 2 minutes into it. Past that though, I got bored fast. I had a vague idea on what happens during TV timeouts, and it turns out basically not a damn thing. I expected this but it didn't make me forget how I can just switch channels during them normally. It was 7-3 past halfway into the second quarter and I thought I'd beat the halftime crowd and get a couple things for my aunt and I (my mom was at the game too). Turns out, nope. 15 minute wait just to get drinks and they were out of water. I got back a little after halftime and a lot happened while I was gone. It went from 7-3 to 17-10. Second half was basically going the same with barely any scoring. It was 17-13 with 7 minutes left in the game. My aunt started getting tired
and I didn't want to miss my fantasy draft
so we left early then to beat the crowds (call me what you want but Boise State isn't my team to begin with, I just got free tickets).

So, overall, did I enjoy my time? Meh not really. Would I go to another game? Under much different circumstances, yeah I probably would. I don't completely regret this trip (that'll be decided tomorrow) but I doubt I'll go to another game here again.

lolz

He's probably done for the season.

Jimbo throwing in the true freshman QB that didn't early enroll but had a hell of a fall camp pretty much guarantees he's done. It really is sad. Can't tell if last night was good or bad for FSU's chances with Fields.

Last night kind of reaffirmed my belief that a pro style offense isn't beating Alabama while Saban is in town, though. If FSU can't do it, it just ain't happening.

Our front 7 is elite. Secondary is not quite as good though. Transitioning to larger DBs that are very talented but they're young.

📝

How did Eason look? Haven't actually seen anyone mention the UGA game at all.

cdyhybrid

Jimbo throwing in the true freshman QB that didn't early enroll but had a hell of a fall camp pretty much guarantees he's done. It really is sad. Can't tell if last night was good or bad for FSU's chances with Fields.

Last night kind of reaffirmed my belief that a pro style offense isn't beating Alabama while Saban is in town, though. If FSU can't do it, it just ain't happening.

📝

He got hurt

Imagine how embarrassing it must be for Georgia fans to lose to a no-offense Florida three years in a row.

Also Florida message boards were lit last night 🔥

So many Georgia fans left early the last 2 years that I could actually use my cell phone to shit post online.

andycapps

Uh, well he was in for two series where I think the OL started off a little shaky and he and the receivers weren't on the same page. He then got hit late out of bounds and was out for the rest of the game with what seems to be a knee sprain. He probably would have calmed down and done better as the game went on.

Fromm came in and showed why he was committed to Bama and flipped to UGA. He's good. Obviously limited knowledge of the playbook but the kid is competitive and did as well as you could hope for. UGA won by 21, was favored by 13 prior to the game. Would have won by 31 but Ramsey went in and threw two passes, both of them interceptions on our side of the field.

Defense looked dominant. There will be times that they'll have to carry the team and put our offense in good spots. Special teams looked much improved.

Alabama's starting linebacker missed the entire second half and I didn't even notice. Jesus Christ, no one made it out unscathed.

I said before the game I don't like early games between top ranked teams. The likelihood you're ready to play at your best is next to nil. Alabama comes out of last night looking good because of the win, but playing that game is just dumb. Play a cupcake to find errors, then play a middling opponent to work those errors out, and then start playing real competition week 3. If college football had preseason games, it would be different. (But they obviously shouldn't, too much risk to an already uncompensated player.)

It should be like FBS G5 -> FBS P5 lower tier school -> FBS P5 legit team. Week 1 is also where you can schedule your FCS opponent charity game, should you have one.

ESPN will just have to get over it when I rule the sports world.

I said before the game I don't like early games between top ranked teams. The likelihood you're ready to play at your best is next to nil. Alabama comes out of last night looking good because of the win, but playing that game is just dumb. Play a cupcake to find errors, then play a middling opponent to work those errors out, and then start playing real competition week 3. If college football had preseason games, it would be different. (But they obviously shouldn't, too much risk to an already uncompensated player.)

It should be like FBS G5 -> FBS P5 lower tier school -> FBS P5 legit team. Week 1 is also where you can schedule your FCS opponent charity game, should you have one.

ESPN will just have to get over it when I rule the sports world.

Eh, I disagree. You can get hurt playing anybody, and aren't even more likely to get hurt playing against an equal opponent than you are lesser ones.

Playing lesser opponents early only protects your record, which may be huge for some folks but I honestly prefer knowing about my team early on. I know my squad has work to do but was still pretty damn good against what should've been a top 4 team in the country before their QB went down. So long as they don't lose focus and are lucky with injuries, the entire season through to Auburn (maybe LSU) feels like a bit of a breeze now.

Balphon

Most SEC schools schedule their FCS charity game during the season as a second bye week during the brutal SEC schedule.

SEC schools only play 8 conference games. They play an FCS school in the middle of the season because it's usually impossible to schedule anyone else.

SEC schools only play 8 conference games. They play an FCS school in the middle of the season because it's usually impossible to schedule anyone else.

Isn't 8 conference games the norm? Most of the time the OOC schedule is the first 4 games, then the conference the rest of the season. It's pretty normal to not have to play an OOC game late in the season. Obviously there are some exceptions due to tradition for rivalry games I guess.

cdyhybrid

Isn't 8 conference games the norm? Most of the time the OOC schedule is the first 4 games, then the conference the rest of the season. It's pretty normal to not have to play an OOC game late in the season. Obviously there are some exceptions due to tradition for rivalry games I guess.
Pac plays 9. Big 12 also since they do round robin. Not sure on the others

Yep, it is. I think conferences should move to 9 games. Keep scheduling one Power 5 opponent from another conference and drop the FCS games (which is effectively a death sentence for a lot of them, but, well....).

And, yeah, in a perfect world, the Big XII dissolves. Weak ass conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom